PDA

View Full Version : People Mover

BrisWesty
21st January 2010, 01:14 PM
Bit the bullet! Our home car was getting a bit long in the tooth - it would have been a poor candidate for private sale (ABS dash lights on after having the dash removed to fix the air conditioner, dodgy transmission, roof trim sagging, burning oil - but not a diesel). Things were getting a bit tight with 3 kids, plus hangers on etc. It seemed like everytime the kids wanted to have someone over, or family was about we'd have to take 2 cars wherever we were going, so we decided to get a 7 or 8 seater. We'd been looking off and on for 12 months, but finally got to the point where it needed to happen.

Didn't want it to be too old, needed to be wide enough so the kids weren't cramped in the back and have enough space in the rear that it would fit more than a nappy bag if the 3rd row was in use. Looked at amongst others
Avensis Verso - way too narrow
Kia Rondo - 3rd row = crumple zone - heads were only a few cm from the rear glass.
Tarago, Odyssey - price. A number of the 7 seat 4WDs (in case we actually wanted to go off road) including Prado, Challenger, Discovery etc.
I was kind of keen on the Hyundai i-Max but also too many $.
Didn't look in detail at the Grandis - actually didn't see many about.

In the end it came down to a size and need thing. We barely go off road and that's unlikely to change. We settled on either the Kia Carnival (not the old 7 seat ones with the dodgy engine) and the Grand Carnival and eventually ended up with a 2006 Kia Grand Carnival. Pretty happy with the deal. We shall see how it goes.

Once we were satisfied with what vehicle we wanted we tested a number of them at a number of dealers and received a variety of levels of service. Having had some unhappy experiences with dealers in the past, it was nice to go in objectively, and after getting a poor initial trade in offer being able to say "we have another vehicle we're happy with, this is their offer, you need to match it or we'll go with them." Leverage is lovely!

With the 3rd row down - it will fit 5 adults and all their golf paraphernalia.

poidda
21st January 2010, 01:23 PM
What year carnivals have the engine problems?

zacdullard
21st January 2010, 01:23 PM
We have a van and it recently turned 200000km old. It is great.

Ned
21st January 2010, 01:30 PM
I think it was pre 2005 were the problem childs.

They also had transmission issues.

just
21st January 2010, 02:14 PM
What year carnivals have the engine problems?

I think it was pre 2005 were the problem childs.

They also had transmission issues.

I'm pretty sure Ned's right it was the pre-2005 LS. I've got a current model EX and it's been a fantastic car.

BrisWesty
21st January 2010, 02:56 PM
Oh good, this one is a VQ EX too. Glad to hear other people's ones are going well.

just
21st January 2010, 03:02 PM
Had it for over two years and never had a complaint. Very comfortable and love the sliding doors in carparks, makes getting kids in very easy.

Ned
21st January 2010, 03:06 PM
I looked at one of these back then, and it was at this time they were changing the models.

The pre 2005 was grossly underpowered and had inferior finish and operation.

2005 onwards was boosted engine and carrying capacity as well as upgrading the transmission and diffs, they changed the warranty and servicing scheduling and also it’s towing capacity.

markTHEblake
21st January 2010, 06:43 PM
I heard from a car broker that Kia was giving away a free new engine for those dodgy ones, even after the warranty?

It wasnt something that they made well known, so people were selling their Carnivals cheap as the engine was crap, unknowing that the buyer was heading straight to Kia to get their new engine.

Rusty
21st January 2010, 11:53 PM
and now you've got your accommodation sorted for your golf trips!

BrisVegas
22nd January 2010, 10:01 AM
stoney's got one of these Grand Carnivals for his 5 kids. Pretty good wagons by the sounds of it.

BrisWesty
22nd January 2010, 01:43 PM
Having a beast of a time putting the seat covers on the front seats though!