PDA

View Full Version : Putting Coach and SAM Puttlab

just
18th January 2010, 03:11 PM
Can anyone recommend a good putting coach/pro in Brisbane and also has anyone tried SAM Puttlab recently and what are your thoughts on this?
Cheers
Just

bebo
18th January 2010, 04:57 PM
Do you have time to practice JUST putting for no less than 90 mins a day?

Do you have access to a putting green that has at least 20 feet of rolls which breaks either direction?

If you answer "No" to above, it really isn't that useful. Short game coach helps to point out obvious problem and SAM is a assistant tool to the coach + might help you get a putter spec you should use.

But all comes down to practice, extensive amount of practice.

AndyP
18th January 2010, 05:40 PM
Rusty has had some experience with SAM Puttlab at Vic Park. You could contact him about it.

markTHEblake
18th January 2010, 07:01 PM
The Sarge at Lakelands does all that kind of stuff, Google putting coaching learning thingy, or Mark Officer.

uahmad
18th January 2010, 07:39 PM
Do you have time to practice JUST putting for no less than 90 mins a day?

Do you have access to a putting green that has at least 20 feet of rolls which breaks either direction?

If you answer "No" to above, it really isn't that useful. Short game coach helps to point out obvious problem and SAM is a assistant tool to the coach + might help you get a putter spec you should use.

But all comes down to practice, extensive amount of practice.

Who has 90mins a day to practice there putting? I doubt anyone that is not a pro, practicing to become a pro etc. has 90mins in there day to practice putting.
Unless you are a bum and on the dole..?

Its ludacris!

Contrary to what most people say on this forum about a putting lesson/coach (Ive found general consensus is people think its waste of time/money).

I think its quite the opposite, sometimes all you need is someone to point out what you're doing wrong and how to FIX it, or other ways of doing things etc etc...

Surely sometimes when the pros arnt putting well they see someone to fix it right? or do they just spend an extra 90 mins practicing?

Moe Norman
18th January 2010, 07:41 PM
Just,

Give me a call, I'd be happy to help with a one on one session.

Maybe at Wynnum?

My rates are reasonable.

just
18th January 2010, 07:50 PM
Bebo
I'm not going to get all uahmad on your arse, but respectfully, surely something is better than nothing. Since I don't have 90 minutes a day is your opinion that I do nothing and accept status quo?

Rusty has had some experience with SAM Puttlab at Vic Park. You could contact him about it.
Aware of that and I was going to contact him, but I was seeing if anyone else had more recent experience.

The Sarge at Lakelands does all that kind of stuff, Google putting coaching learning thingy, or Mark Officer.
Thanks mark, seems they run clinics and are the inventors of the Perfect Stroke. I'll give it some thought.

Just,

Give me a call, I'd be happy to help with a one on one session.

Maybe at Wynnum?

My rates are reasonable.
Why the hell not. You are Ozgolf's award winning best putter after all.

adlo
18th January 2010, 08:08 PM
In response to what Bebo said, I couldn't disagree more.

I had a extensive short game/putting lesson with David Williams (Willow). Helped a ton. Practice is still vital, but Just seems to play plenty of golf, and I think that is equally useful as long as someone helps you in the right direction with quality instruction.

razaar
18th January 2010, 08:41 PM
just

I know exactly where you are comimg from having been on the verge of the yips for years. Unlike the rest of the game putting doesn't have the same fundamentals for everybody that guarantees an improvement in our putting. Nerves play a big part as we get older as does eye sight (in lining up and reading break). The biggest factor for successful putting is confidence and that comes from success; owning a method that works for you.

I think getting fitted for lie and seeing what the putter is doing at impact is a good investment.

Yossarian
18th January 2010, 08:56 PM
I think bebo is trying to say take up lawn bowls. Is it a specific problem just or just general shitness?

just
18th January 2010, 09:03 PM
I think bebo is trying to say take up lawn bowls
That's what I understood it to mean.

just general shitness
This. To clarify I can't ever remember having less tha 36 putts.

Yossarian
18th January 2010, 09:08 PM
Well I think bebo would have us all take up lawn bowls, and leave golf to the pros.

I'd say some stuff about lessons and confidence and better putting but you've worked that one out well before I was around :)

AndyP
18th January 2010, 09:20 PM
For what it's worth, I think my putting swing is ordinary. However, for most of the year I convince myself that I can putt and do so with confidence.

Maybe it won't take much to set you on the right track, just.

just
18th January 2010, 09:38 PM
Andy
That's what I'm hoping, that someone will be able to look at my putting stroke, give me a bit of analysis on what I'm doing wrong and then give me something to work on so I can move forward. At the moment I seem stuck and not improving. My overall swing has improved over the last couple of years, I'm now working on my chipping and short game and it's slowly improving, but I'm going nowhere with the putting.

Johnny Canuck
18th January 2010, 11:19 PM
rotella?

shavey
19th January 2010, 12:06 AM
MTB pointed you in the direction of my old mate Sarge who is still based at Lakelands. Sarge was kind enough to donate quite a few prizes (heavy irons, putting mirrors) for the champs at Bribie a few years ago. His website is perfectstroke.org and there you will see a few of the contraptions he has invented.

They imported the SAM putt lab a few years ago and I can tell you, it's pretty freaky seeing all they stuff it tracks. It seems my putting swing was quite out but I had very high rate of repetition.

Sarge has also setup a large putting green under the clubhouse where you can also use a laser allignment guide attached to the shaft. Very predator-esque (when the lights are out) but like seeing your swing on video for the first time, which can be both good and bad!

If you go down this route, tell Sarge your a mate and from ozgolf as I filled him in on the site quite some time ago.

markTHEblake
19th January 2010, 12:49 AM
The biggest factor for successful putting is confidence and that comes from success; owning a method that works for you.

have you tried copying Bobby Lockes putting stroke...

My dad used to always say he could teach me anything about golf, any shot, whatever, except putting. He simply believed you just had to figure it out for yourself, and the rest is mental.

It cant be that hard to take it straight back and straight through for goodness sake!

razaar
19th January 2010, 07:47 AM
Tried his method (have the book Bobby Locke on Golf which he autographed) and decided it wasn't for me. Mainly because I was concentrating on the stroke/technique and not line and distance.

My dad used to always say he could teach me anything about golf, any shot, whatever, except putting. He simply believed you just had to figure it out for yourself, and the rest is mental.
This site has some good stuff about putting.
http://www.puttingzone.com/

It cant be that hard to take it straight back and straight through for goodness sake!
It can be very hard; poor alignment, hands too low, not staying centred, left wrist breaking down are just a few of the faults that make it impossible to do this.

Toolish
19th January 2010, 08:34 AM
Have you tried using a putting mirror? Helps me a lot when I get around to using it for 15-20 minutes a day.

Jarro
19th January 2010, 09:03 AM
just, we'll get the Nudgee mafia to check you out next time we play.

As has been said, i'm sure there isn't that much that needs tweaking

Moe Norman
19th January 2010, 10:50 AM

some of the best putters around, don't do this. In fact, don't most good putters NOT take it straight back and straight through?

razaar
19th January 2010, 10:58 AM

some of the best putters around, don't do this. In fact, don't most good putters NOT take it straight back and straight through?
Most good putters do actually take it straight back and straight through.
This needs to be explained than just saying the above. If the shaft of the putter is run along a straight edge, say a foot above the head of the putter or ground, then you can't go back much straighter than that. It is called keeping it on plane. Because the shaft moves slightly up the straight edge the further back the head is swung, forwards and backwards, the head moves in a slight arc. If the hands try to make this arc then the shaft moves off plane and the face can point anywhere at impact.

The interesting thing about this is that the straight edge doesn't have to be parallel with the ball/target but the face has to be pointing at the target throughout the stroke.

virge666
19th January 2010, 11:43 AM
This is my favourite tutor, bought it from the USA donkeys ago - it weighs nothing - fits in a pencil case and thus in your golf bag and you dont look like a tool using it.

http://www.shop.level3golf.com/Pelz-Putting-Tutor-ppt.htm

I think it cost me $20 too. There is a company in SA that sell these also.

The other one I use to use was a tradesman's chalk line. I woudl use that to mark a line on the green for me to putt along. I stole the idea from a Pro in QLD.

Simple and inexpensive and most importantly teaches LINE AND LENGTH, not just one side.

virge666
19th January 2010, 12:10 PM
Most good putters do actually take it straight back and straight through

No they don't. They never have and they never will. I don't want to start the Pelz vs Utley arguement. The simple fact is that good putters don't use their hands or wrists in the actual stroke. Steve Stricker is the closest you will get.

Technically
You cannot take it straight back and through without using your wrists, the angles just don't allow you to do it.

It all depends on the posture of the person putting. The more upright you are - the more "around" you will be. The more bent over you are, the more straight back and through you can get.

Realistically
You dont want to run it along a target line. The more you try this the more mechanical you will get. You want to have a putting stroke that is as close as possible to your basic chip and run stroke. The closer it is - the more natural it will be and the better your chipping will get.

Learn to control your wrists - learn what they are meant to do - watch TV and see how all good putters keep the angle in their right wrist through impact and hold their finish.

Never ever listen to anyone that is not he same kind of build and posture as you with regards to putting. Posture dictates almost everything with putting. This goes the same for selecting a Pro teacher... if you are 6'4" and you are getting putting lessons off Craig Parry... good luck.

Lastly - simply ignore the whole "Staight vs Around" putting arguement. It means nothing, you just want to start the ball on an intended line at an intended speed. Use drills to learn to putt - not mechanics, it is too small a stroke.

Enjoy

just
19th January 2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks Virge, thats some good info. I have something similar to the Pelz thing from Yes, the Path Finder (http://www.yesgolf.com/store/accessories.php?model=727). I'll find some time to do the drills from Phil Mickelsons DVD.

Rusty
19th January 2010, 12:37 PM
Just, a few others that i have spoken to that have done SAM Puttlab after me all seem to say the same thing - good for deciding on which putter characteristics ie. head shape, toe/centre shaft, suit them. after that it's stability, repeating whatever's happening & confidence/mental.

just
19th January 2010, 12:38 PM
Cheers Rusty, thanks for that.

matty
19th January 2010, 01:04 PM
Just,

I just purchased Mickelson's short game dvd and watched the putting section last night. Very informative with some great drills. He says it how it is and says he has never seen an amateur line a putt up properly but he goes into great detail about how to do it with some good drills.

I have never had a lesson for putting and probably have about 33 putts a round so I'm looking forward to the practice, the next game, attacking the hole and sinking those extra few putts a round to start getting some decent scores.

The dvd is well worth a look at IMO.

razaar
19th January 2010, 01:37 PM
No they don't. They never have and they never will. I don't want to start the Pelz vs Utley arguement. The simple fact is that good putters don't use their hands or wrists in the actual stroke. Steve Stricker is the closest you will get.

Technically
You cannot take it straight back and through without using your wrists, the angles just don't allow you to do it.

It all depends on the posture of the person putting. The more upright you are - the more "around" you will be. The more bent over you are, the more straight back and through you can get.

Realistically
You dont want to run it along a target line. The more you try this the more mechanical you will get. You want to have a putting stroke that is as close as possible to your basic chip and run stroke. The closer it is - the more natural it will be and the better your chipping will get.

Learn to control your wrists - learn what they are meant to do - watch TV and see how all good putters keep the angle in their right wrist through impact and hold their finish.

Never ever listen to anyone that is not he same kind of build and posture as you with regards to putting. Posture dictates almost everything with putting. This goes the same for selecting a Pro teacher... if you are 6'4" and you are getting putting lessons off Craig Parry... good luck.

Lastly - simply ignore the whole "Staight vs Around" putting arguement. It means nothing, you just want to start the ball on an intended line at an intended speed. Use drills to learn to putt - not mechanics, it is too small a stroke.

Enjoy
Sorry Virge but I have to disagree with your view on this. There is no shoulder turn in putting or there shouldn't be if you want any sort of consistency. Have no idea what you mean about the wrists. It is an up and down shoulder rock with little wrist action over the ball that produces the straight back straight through action.

just
19th January 2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to do the SAM Puttlab as a starter so I don't have to worry about equipment and then work on some of the excellent suggestions found here.

just
24th January 2010, 08:21 PM
Had a lesson/fitting with Jim Barden at Vic Park on Saturday. The Puttlab showed up a few issues, the main one being that although I align my body straight at address, I aim the putter face quite a decent way right at address and then compensate by "steering" left when I putt, thereby completely arsing up my putts. We worked on the alignment of the putter face and gave me some drills to follow and by the end I was putting well. So at least I know what is going wrong now and can work on it.
I also deloft the putter a decent amount at impact, which is not too much of a problem if I have the right putter.

markTHEblake
24th January 2010, 09:59 PM

I was exaggerating just a bit for dramatic affect !

obviously straight back and straight through does include the natural arc that gets wider the longer the stroke.

3oneday
25th January 2010, 02:24 PM
This been replaced with a new putter yet ?

sms316
25th January 2010, 02:30 PM
Had a lesson/fitting with Jim Barden at Vic Park on Saturday. The Puttlab showed up a few issues, the main one being that although I align my body straight at address, I aim the putter face quite a decent way right at address and then compensate by "steering" left when I putt, thereby completely arsing up my putts. We worked on the alignment of the putter face and gave me some drills to follow and by the end I was putting well. So at least I know what is going wrong now and can work on it.
I also deloft the putter a decent amount at impact, which is not too much of a problem if I have the right putter.

Have you tried using a putting mirror? Helps me a lot when I get around to using it for 15-20 minutes a day.

The putting mirror is a great tool for checking alignment. I have one at home if you ever want to borrow it.

just
25th January 2010, 02:44 PM
This been replaced with a new putter yet ?
My finger might slip on the mouse soon and I might accidently buy one of these (http://www.odysseygolf.com/Global/en-US/Products/Putters/BlackSeriesTourDesigns/BlackSeriesTourDesigns4Putter.html).

The putting mirror is a great tool for checking alignment. I have one at home if you ever want to borrow it.
Thanks for the offer SMS, but I've just got one to use.

razaar
25th January 2010, 03:22 PM
My finger might slip on the mouse soon and I might accidently buy one of these (http://www.odysseygolf.com/Global/en-US/Products/Putters/BlackSeriesTourDesigns/BlackSeriesTourDesigns4Putter.html).
Nice. :smt023

Bruce
24th February 2011, 04:19 PM
I had a go on the PuttLab today at GolfTec in Richmond. Spent an hour with Kevin O'Neill who watched me for a bit, confirmed some hand and eye dominances etc.

Before I even got on the Puttlab he had me do a test where just before you pull the trigger you squeeze a bit with one thumb. Did 5 right then 5 left and a left thumb squeeze really made me feel more connected. I'm not sure if this is snake oil but I'll give it a go. Putting placebos can be pretty powerful.

Got measured and could see the good and the bad compared to some suggested data points. Showed me I was setting up closed and pulling across a bit which would be no surprise to Willow I suspect. He gave me some setup queues to try to get me lined up a bit better so we'll see how it goes with a bit of practice.

As a nerd I love the big pile of data he was able to show me. When it comes to hitting the golf ball - perception is not reality.

virge666
24th February 2011, 04:47 PM
Sorry Virge but I have to disagree with your view on this. There is no shoulder turn in putting or there shouldn't be if you want any sort of consistency. Have no idea what you mean about the wrists. It is an up and down shoulder rock with little wrist action over the ball that produces the straight back straight through action.

You can do both mate - depends on your posture...

Trying to decern between shoulder turn and shoulder rock is an arguement for another day.

Posture and grip willl determine the kind of stroke for the player... it really is one of the only things you can teach with putting... there are very few fundementals when looking at good putters.

Tiger vs Nicklaus vs Stricker vs Locke vs Pavin vs Crenshaw . . . they are all so so very, very different...

But . . . That Putt lab looks like a geek's nice day out... I want a turn !