PDA

View Full Version : Three days in Dornoch

Scottt
18th January 2010, 08:24 AM
I'll be spending three days in Dornoch in late May.

The option of 36 a day at Royal Dornoch is on the table, but I want to branch out and see some of the other local courses as well (Brora, Tain, Golspie).

The temptation is to play each morning at RD, then play the afternoons elsewhere, but day tickets make more sense than 18 in the morning one place, and 18 elsewhere in the arvo.

Castle Stuart need not be shoehorned in as we're playing it on the drive home (Goswick and Crail on the drive up).

How would you plan three days up there?

Any love for Skibo Castle?

Royal Dornoch Struie course worth a hit?

virge666
18th January 2010, 09:11 AM
There is a place called Dornoch ?

Do they have any doorbells ?

(sorry)

AndyP
18th January 2010, 09:19 AM
Three days in Dornoch and the world's your oyster.
The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free.

virge666
18th January 2010, 09:21 AM
You'll find a god in every golden cloister
And if you're lucky then the god's a she
I can feel an angel sliding up to me

(Yep - I am THAT old)

TourFit
18th January 2010, 12:52 PM
That is just SAD...:(

Bet you didn't even have to google those lyrics either, did you??

Scottt,

My advice would be to mix up the playing times at RD...the light changes dramatically and gives a totally different look to the course.

If it were me I'd be doing all I could to get a game at Nairn (a little further SE, but worth it!).

I'd do

DAY 1) R.D. morning / Brora arvo
DAY 2) Tain morning / R.D. arvo
DAY 3) Nairn morning / R.D. Struie arvo

Andrew
18th January 2010, 02:53 PM
Scott,

Are you staying at David Tepper's place?

It all depends on what you want from these 3 days. Do you want to add as many courses to your resume or play the best quality you can?

If it's just quality you are after, Royal Dornoch, Nairn & Brora are all worth 2 rounds.

If you are looking to bolster your resume, then consider that Nairn is about an hour & a half drive from Dornoch, so maybe it's worth considering Nairn Dunbar on that day as well or play Tain on you way back to Dornoch in the evening.

If you are going to head up to Brora, then play Golspie on that day as well.

The Struie course is a nice little hit, but could easily be done in the evening hitting off at about 6pm.

The other one to consider for a quick hit is Fortrose & Rosemarkie. You would get around there in under 3 hours in the evening.

Scottt
18th January 2010, 09:49 PM
Scott,

Are you staying at David Tepper's place?

It all depends on what you want from these 3 days. Do you want to add as many courses to your resume or play the best quality you can?

If it's just quality you are after, Royal Dornoch, Nairn & Brora are all worth 2 rounds.

If you are looking to bolster your resume, then consider that Nairn is about an hour & a half drive from Dornoch, so maybe it's worth considering Nairn Dunbar on that day as well or play Tain on you way back to Dornoch in the evening.

If you are going to head up to Brora, then play Golspie on that day as well.

The Struie course is a nice little hit, but could easily be done in the evening hitting off at about 6pm.

The other one to consider for a quick hit is Fortrose & Rosemarkie. You would get around there in under 3 hours in the evening.

Thanks.

David is actually going to be there when I am, so not staying at his place. There's about 12-15 of us all going up, arranged by Rich, which will be lots of fun.

At this stage I am torn between more rounds at the better few courses and seeing as many as possible.

The day ticket at Brora - only £49 - will definitely happen, as well as two rounds at least at Dornoch.

Also Golspie is a goer.

Where would you spend that last round - F&R, Tain or Struie?

Of the three, Struie is the one I am most curious about because a bloke I have got to know a bit over here did the re-design on it a few years back.

Andrew
19th January 2010, 05:49 PM
Where would you spend that last round - F&R, Tain or Struie?

Of the three, Struie is the one I am most curious about because a bloke I have got to know a bit over here did the re-design on it a few years back.

In that case, play Struie. F&R is mainly nice because it is surrounded by estuary/ocean & Tain only has one hole that runs parallel to the estuary with the rest of the holes having more of a Dune Slack feel, although the hole that runs down to the water is a neat little Alps hole.