PDA

View Full Version : Where the Z-Star Kool Aid at?

Scottt
18th January 2010, 05:44 AM
I only had two aggots in my bag (hey, don't we all...) when I got to the course today, so I decided to Play A Better Ball and bought some Z-Stars (no X).

Pretty bloody impressive pill. Am keen to play it under a few different conditions in the next month, but after one round I am quite impressed.

And the durability is no myth. I even hit in off a gravel path onto a stone beach at one stage and still at the end of 18 it looked fine. The only way I could have abused it worse would have been to locate its arse and stick a finger in, and yet it will likely go another 18 before it's not fit for game play.

Glad I checked it out. Pass the Kool Aid.

ParMaster
18th January 2010, 05:48 AM
Here is some for you Scott.

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Business/images/kool-aid-man.jpg

I'm ashamed to say myself I now play Callaway.. :(

Sydney Hacker
18th January 2010, 07:12 AM
I had a hit with one last week and after all the hullabaloo on here have to say I was nothing but disappointed with them.

Webster
18th January 2010, 07:41 AM
Scottt have you tried the Callaway Tour i & ix balls? They are much better and significantly cheaper (here) than the Srixons.

TheTrueReview
18th January 2010, 07:42 AM
There's a lot said about their durability but do they feel like rocks to hit?

Scottt
18th January 2010, 07:46 AM
Scottt have you tried the Callaway Tour i & ix balls? They are much better and significantly cheaper (here) than the Srixons.

Not for any length of time. I used to use the Cally HX Tour 56, but when they changed over to Tour i and ix I wandered away from them. The Srixons are £10 ($18 ) a sleeve or £34 ($62) a box at my pro shop, which is not bad.

No. I didn't think so, and they seemed to have plenty of fizz on 25-50m pitches, too.

I have an insert putter, so putting "feel" is a bit bastardised anyway, for me.

Webster
18th January 2010, 07:51 AM
The Tour i range is much better than the HX 56 range.

Scottt
18th January 2010, 07:55 AM
The Tour i range is much better than the HX 56 range.

Which is the higher spin pill of the two ("V1") and whihc is the lower spin ("V1x")?

Webster
18th January 2010, 08:03 AM
i is higher spin, ix is firmer/lower spin. unless you really smash it then use the i.

Sydney Hacker
18th January 2010, 08:08 AM

I found them to be very "clicky" on iron shots. Which, while only a sound was quite off putting.

Scottt
18th January 2010, 08:15 AM
i is higher spin, ix is firmer/lower spin. unless you really smash it then use the i.

Cheers.

Sydney Hacker
18th January 2010, 08:17 AM
You can get the Cally's for $40/dozen now also so pretty good value.

I won 3 dozen Pro V's recently though so I better work my way through them before putting anymore in the cupboard !

moree golfer
18th January 2010, 09:00 AM
You can get the Cally's for $40/dozen now also so pretty good value.

I won 3 dozen Pro V's recently though so I better work my way through them before putting anymore in the cupboard !
Where are the Cally i series 40 clams Sydney Hacker? I am keen to give them a go (when I get a chance to play).

Sydney Hacker
18th January 2010, 09:07 AM
Where are the Cally i series $40 calms Sydney Hacker? I am keen to give them a go (when I get a chance to play).

Pretty sure the shop was Powergolf down here that had them and Golfmart also had 2 dozen for $90 from memory.

Powergolf have a website check that out, or you could try the Golf Factory out at Penrith. They post balls out for $6/dozen I think, but I am not sure what they are charging per dozen.

Jarro
18th January 2010, 09:14 AM
Great pills ( as we've said ages ago)

Try the new Pentas though, they feel damn fine also .....

KristianJ
18th January 2010, 09:42 AM
Pretty sure the shop was Powergolf down here that had them and Golfmart also had 2 dozen for $90 from memory.

Powergolf have a website check that out, or you could try the Golf Factory out at Penrith. They post balls out for $6/dozen I think, but I am not sure what they are charging per dozen.

$49/dozen - they're selling the Z-Stars and Z-Star X's for the same price. I was there last week and bought some Z-Stars, although the Callys did cross my mind. I'm sure they'd probably price match if there was a web price handy for Powergolf.

Captain Nemo
18th January 2010, 12:12 PM
Yeh Powregolf Alexandria has them on special!

Jarro
18th January 2010, 12:14 PM
The X's don't seem to be as durable as the normal ones.

Just for those who are interested ;)

zigwah
18th January 2010, 01:12 PM
z-stars durable bite and checks, not so much back spin.

Cally tour-i's Not quite as durable as the z-stars spins as much as the z-star

Pro-v not duraable for a hacker spins like crazy bites checks spins back great ball for someone that knows what they're doing.

under 5 use a pro-v over 5 use one of the other 2.

adlo
18th January 2010, 02:52 PM
Scottt, glad you finally tried them.

I think the Tour i and the Z star are the two most durable premium pills I have ever seen.

I think the Z star does not feel firm or clicky (like the Tour i can). The Z star feels solid off the driver but quite soft off the irons and putter.

The Z stars will be cheap soon, Srixon have the replacement line coming in this year.

Johnny Canuck
18th January 2010, 02:59 PM
I'm all about the Tour-i kool aid right now, although the one that I had yesterday was warped and wouldn't roll straight.

adlo
18th January 2010, 03:01 PM
I am all about trying the Penta TP Kool Aid as well, scored a sleeve yesterdee.

Jarro
18th January 2010, 03:07 PM
I am all about trying the Penta TP Kool Aid as well, scored a sleeve yesterdee.

You'll like them i'm sure 8-)

Yossarian
18th January 2010, 03:50 PM
Cheap i-tours and z-stars! Tough choice...

Scottt
1st February 2010, 02:00 PM
I've now played four rounds with two Z-Stars and both could easily be subbed in as a game ball if I lost a pill part-way round. That's pretty amazing.

henno
1st February 2010, 02:03 PM
They are durable, moreso than a ProV1, but I still cut 'em up. No way would I put an 18-holer back into play.

just
1st February 2010, 02:06 PM
This may be of interest. (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showpost.php?p=436239&postcount=965)

davepuppies
1st February 2010, 02:10 PM
So if we were to compare the following balls on a spin around green basis, and used the pro v1 as the benchmark, and called it 100%, and the prov1x at say 80% what would you rate the following in terms of spin

Z star?
Penta?
Cally i?

I seem to shear my prov1s with my sandwedge, so if a more durable ball will give me similar results i might be tempted to sway from my titleist love!

Webster
1st February 2010, 02:13 PM
The Tour i is much better than the pro V1 and the Z star. And it's much, much cheaper.

sms316
1st February 2010, 02:19 PM
This may be of interest. (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showpost.php?p=436239&postcount=965)
That is rank on so many levels.

Scottt
1st February 2010, 02:21 PM

Thanks, Just. My first impression was "I wouldn't use it". Almost immediately, my second impression was "well why not?!".

The Tour i is much better than the pro V1 and the Z star. And it's much, much cheaper.

I don 't think they are over here. I might have to check that out.

just
1st February 2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks, Just. My first impression was "I wouldn't use it". Almost immediately, my second impression was "well why not?!".
I've given up on urethane balls because I'm not man enough to get the full benefit of their "urethaness" otherwise I would try these, however on the colour issue I like coloured balls especially yellow and pink.

Johnny Canuck
1st February 2010, 03:00 PM
The Tour-i has become my ball of choice as well.

Bruce
1st February 2010, 03:12 PM
I used a tour-i on Saturday too - until I flipped it into the hazard on 17 :(

It may replace the B330 in my heart.

Scottt
17th February 2010, 10:00 PM
I played 36 holes yesterday with a Z-Star that I had already put through 18 or maybe 36 holes, and it looks fine still.

54-72 holes with the one ball? That is just crazy!

I have now played six rounds with two Z-Stars. Any other premium pill I have used I'd have gone though four pills at least, six for a ProV, for the same amount of play.

I am in awe of this bloody ball!

Dazza
17th February 2010, 10:02 PM
Will have to give them a crack once I get through my Pro V1's.

henno
17th February 2010, 10:04 PM
I have no idea how you guys get such longevity out of your balls. On the odd occasion that my ball lasts more than 18 holes, it looks pretty scuffed regardless of the brand. The z-star is easily the best of the bunch for durability, but I doubt it would go 27-36 holes before I relegated it to the shag-bag.

Lucky for me I tend to lose them before they wear out. ;)

Eag's
17th February 2010, 10:11 PM
I am with you henno I rarely use the same ball for more than 18 holes.
Ask AP how many holes he can get out of one of his U-tri Tours ;)

Scottt
17th February 2010, 10:16 PM
I blame spin milled wedges and sharp grooves. Conspiracy by OEMs to make us go through more balls, IMO.

henno
17th February 2010, 10:33 PM
Either that, or you hit the ball like a girl. ;)

Johnny Canuck
17th February 2010, 10:56 PM
I have no idea how you guys get such longevity out of your balls. On the odd occasion that my ball lasts more than 18 holes, it looks pretty scuffed regardless of the brand. The z-star is easily the best of the bunch for durability, but I doubt it would go 27-36 holes before I relegated it to the shag-bag.

Lucky for me I tend to lose them before they wear out. ;)

We hit less trees.

For me, I need 2-3 ProV1Xs a round.

The Z-Star usually makes it 18.

The Tour-i is unbelievable for me. I lost one on its 50th hole the other day and it was still in good enough shape to use in a comp.

PeteyD
18th February 2010, 06:53 AM
I agree with the tour-i. Longevity +.

sms316
18th February 2010, 09:14 AM
I see Tim Clark is using the kryptonite better ball today.

ffs - it is bringing the game into disrepute.

MegaWatty
18th February 2010, 09:16 AM
Boz must be having a little chuckle to himself.

sms316
18th February 2010, 09:17 AM
I'm a white supremist and proud of it.

henno
18th February 2010, 09:17 AM
Blakey has the yellow fever.

just
18th February 2010, 09:37 AM
Disgraceful posts! But very, very funny.

TheBoz_fromOz
18th February 2010, 11:28 AM
I like to be bright.:smt060

moree golfer
6th March 2010, 08:42 PM
Do those who use Tour i balls find if you cut across the ball on tee shots the ball goes nowhere? It happened to me several times today, it barely went 150m and I can usually pump it out 230m+.

PeteyD
7th March 2010, 08:13 PM
Nope. Mine still go miles into the bunta right.

oncewasagolfer
8th March 2010, 10:41 AM
^ same:(