PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: Irons

just
15th January 2010, 03:52 PM
Here is a Friday afternoon hypothetical. Say you have seen an Ozgolfer play, lets hypothetically call him Jastwah. Jastwah is a super chopper who plays irons which are slightly better than his ability suggests he should, and let's call these irons i15's. Jastwah thinks his irons aren't really the problem with his game, he thinks he hits them alright and that his short game and putting are the things that are holding back. Jastwah could also be deluded.

For those of you who have hypothetically seen Jastwah play, is he deluding himself? Are the irons part of the problem or should he be just concentrating on his short game and putting?

PeteyD
15th January 2010, 03:55 PM
Short game and putting.

razaar
15th January 2010, 03:59 PM
Does Jastwah keep any statistics? Love your choice of ID, brings to mind a couple of Ozgolfers.:lol:

just
15th January 2010, 04:01 PM
What are statistics, Ray? Jastwah has enough trouble adding up the huge numbers of his scores.

Johnny Canuck
15th January 2010, 04:02 PM
Although some believe that bad driving can be improved with the purchase of blades new irons, this is not the case for chipping and putting.

Work on the short game, it can make up for poor iron shots.

If considering selling any putters, always remember your friends in WA.

If you put a pop up on a wood, take off all the paint and gun blue the mother.

Spare shafts? Use them on the tomatoes.

razaar
15th January 2010, 04:03 PM
What are statistics, Ray? Jastwah has enough trouble adding up the huge numbers of his scores.
Hmnnn its a toughy mate. Does our hero do any practice?

henno
15th January 2010, 04:05 PM
For a guy of your Jastwah's handicap you he hits enough fairways with the G10 and are usually on the green or near it in regulation or one-over GIR. So naturally I voted short game and putting.

just
15th January 2010, 04:07 PM
Although some believe that bad driving can be improved with the purchase of blades new irons, this is not the case for chipping and putting.

Work on the short game, it can make up for poor iron shots.

If considering selling any putters, always remember your friends in WA.

If you put a pop up on a wood, take off all the paint and gun blue the mother.

Spare shafts? Use them on the tomatoes.
Much food for thought.

Hmnnn its a toughy mate. Does our hero do any practice?
Used to have lessons every month until about 8 months ago when he started a new job. Has taken a New Year's resolution and now practices chipping in the backyard everyday after being inspired by the Phil Mickelson DVD.

Johnny Canuck
15th January 2010, 04:08 PM
You are a very solid ball striker, like Henno says.

I'm always amazed that you manage to play off the handicap you do. I'd take you as a bandit on any ambrose day. It has to be the short game.

Johnny Canuck
15th January 2010, 04:09 PM
Ahhh. Nevermind about the DVDs. I see your post.

razaar
15th January 2010, 04:15 PM
Much food for thought.

Used to have lessons every month until about 8 months ago when he started a new job. Has taken a New Year's resolution and now practices chipping in the backyard everyday after being inspired by the Phil Mickelson DVD.
The persons I have in mind are both wound as tight as a drum when they hit the golf course. Not sure why that would be when they obviously love the game and play it for enjoyment.

My advice to Jastwah is to do what is necessary to get nice and relaxed and loose whenever a golf club is in his hand. That IMO is the poor guys first hurdle to get over.:wink:

KristianJ
15th January 2010, 04:25 PM
Jastwah should trademark his name before someone steals it for their music group.

Eag's
15th January 2010, 04:34 PM
I have played with Jastwah on numerous occasions so I would say his short game needs attention. When I say attention I mean his with his technique.

leighthebee
15th January 2010, 04:54 PM
i've gone for buy g15's, but could be biased as I'm in the market for i15's :-)

BrisWesty
15th January 2010, 05:03 PM
This was a toss up, but went for short game and putting. I'm a bit concerned about the poll. Almost chose to vote for sms' new svelte form instead.

Lucasto23
15th January 2010, 05:04 PM
just consider that your best golf has been played with certain iron's recently. If your short game and putting is weak generally, you have no chance when the rest of your game is off ;) so guess what i picked:)

Ned
15th January 2010, 05:13 PM
There is no option for pink..................anything!

BrisVegas
15th January 2010, 05:58 PM
I'm shocked only 3 of us voted "You think too much".

sms316
15th January 2010, 06:05 PM
Pieface is the only one here with any brains by the look of it.

Pieface
15th January 2010, 06:07 PM
You know it!

markTHEblake
15th January 2010, 06:39 PM
Jastwah is a super chopper who plays irons which are slightly better than his ability suggests he should,

I think you are being too hard on yourself. Jastwah could be any one of about 50 ozgolfers.

Dotty
15th January 2010, 08:34 PM
He doesn't need new clubs. Just dip the i15s in honey.

LarryLong
15th January 2010, 08:40 PM
Does Jastwah use iron covers?

just
15th January 2010, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all the feedback so far, there is much sense on these forums for Jastwah!

My advice to Jastwah is to do what is necessary to get nice and relaxed and loose whenever a golf club is in his hand. That IMO is the poor guys first hurdle to get over.:wink:
Jastwah thinks you are right. So he has acquired this (http://www.amazon.com/dp/039952276X?tag=extraordin0f3-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=039952276X&adid=1C1H6WMZP9PDBNA4HZ5F&) to help give techniques to do just that.:smt038

There is no option for pink..................anything!
I have been thinking about acquiring one of these (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GUERIN-RIFE-2-BAR-HYBRID-PINK-MALLET-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ130356380432QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGolf_C lubs?hash=item1e59d88310) though.:smt060

I'm shocked only 3 of us voted "You think too much".
So cruel.

Pieface is the only one here with any brains by the look of it.
Perhaps not enough of them have been exposed to your new self. Post some nude pics, but not in my thread.

He doesn't need new clubs. Just dip the i15s in honey.
You are a man of much sense and knowledge, Dotty.

Does Jastwah use iron covers?
No. (Although he has been known to do so in the past). They are Pings.

3oneday
15th January 2010, 09:41 PM
Raz says smoke pot.

Suppose it can't hurt ;)

Yossarian
15th January 2010, 09:45 PM
Short game. Is doing wonders for my game. That and bombing 4 hybrids 190 for a 3/5.

Yossarian
15th January 2010, 09:47 PM
Also I like how just voted. Does our opinion mean anything?? ;)

Where is the buy blades option?

Scoot
15th January 2010, 09:51 PM
Forget the short game. That's a waste of time.

Practice driving 300m, and holing out from 180. That's the only way to get the girls.

Just keep buying the latest driver.

KristianJ
15th January 2010, 09:52 PM

Courty's does if he voted for everything...

goonie
15th January 2010, 10:06 PM
The short game will always help, but after playing with Jastwah recently I would recommend keeping the clubs you have and working on the following (in order of most shots that can be saved per round)
1 work on your putting, way to many putts coming up short.
2 work on your setup, the thing i noticed the most was that you setup with most of your weight on your front foot, which may be causing the occasional thin or topped shot and some of the sprayed shots.
3 chipping and pitching (2 may help with this)

PeteyD
15th January 2010, 10:43 PM
Work on putting.

Work on putting.

More work on putting. Learn to love putting.

Daves
15th January 2010, 10:46 PM
Jastwah can borrow my Taly if he want to work on his ball striking and set up.

http://store.taly.com/

http://www.taly.com/images/545_TALY_AD_June2007_GTMS_100_rgb_noad.jpg

just
16th January 2010, 07:03 AM
Thanks Daves. Got one. Didn't you see everyone pulling the piss out of me at the pre-champs round at PH for using one.

I voted for what I thouht I should do, but I'm always happy to take advice. There is some good info coming out in this thread, food for thought.

....and blades are too easy, I'm saving up for some hickory shafted clubs.

shazza_rs
16th January 2010, 07:51 AM
Just,

Having played with jastwah a fair few times, I'm going to vote working on the short game. Even if the long game is a bit off, you are going to save shots with a good short game. And sort out that putting. If you do that, i reckon you will shave off at least 5-9 shots per game.

BrisVegas
16th January 2010, 09:50 AM
Jastwah can borrow my Taly if he want to work on his ball striking and set up.

http://store.taly.com/

Tally ho. :roll:

just
16th January 2010, 10:13 AM
And sort out that putting. If you do that, i reckon you will shave off at least 5-9 shots per game.
So you are suggesting that it's the putters fault and I should buy more putters?:-k

jaybam
16th January 2010, 10:36 AM
So you are suggesting that it's the putters fault and I should buy more putters?:-k

Yeah why not. Can never ave too many putters yeah???:smt038

Jarro
16th January 2010, 11:41 AM
Jastwah needs to stop drinking that XXXX Gold poison after his rounds :roll:

That and concentrate on his short game.

razaar
16th January 2010, 12:39 PM
Jastwah might consider getting a tip or two off Ned when he comes down to Wynnum next month. I know it sounds silly given that the bushranger usually putts with a wedge, but he sorted my stroke out with a couple of quiet words. The tip involved a minor grip change which immediately lit up the light bulb. Some experimentation and practice has made the world of difference to my putting. Now I expect to hole everything inside 20 feet.:shock:

SeldomEagles
16th January 2010, 01:01 PM

If the short game is a problem for Jastwah in addition to a brand new shiny putter a new set of wedges would help and to make sure you get value from the new wedges why not get a new set of irons and to justify the new irons a new driver and while your at it new fairway woods and hybrids, sorted. Oh and the whole game could be the fault of the ball being used so look for some 16 layer Callamade or Taylorway balls. Golfs easy really :)

Daves
16th January 2010, 01:14 PM
Who is this Justwah you speak of SE?:roll::lol:

Jastwah needs to work on his putting stroke for sure. It is somewhat pushy and the backstroke gets abbreviated at times.

3oneday
16th January 2010, 01:16 PM
Jasthowah ;)

razaar
16th January 2010, 02:10 PM
Jasthowah ;)

Pingggg!!