PDA

View Full Version : Soft-modding a Wii

idgolfguy
15th January 2010, 01:01 PM
I currently use the Drivekey which work reasonably well. I do have some issues periodically with playing bought games and some backups.

Thinking about applying a softmod to use a USB loader and loading games of a portable hard drive.

Anyone tried the freebies that are available - in particular the main one on Wiihack?

My Wii is currently on 4.2E.

Yossarian
15th January 2010, 01:20 PM
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16936&page=2

I think the second page had some info.

idgolfguy
15th January 2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks mate so that post - hence I though I'd start a new thread to get Wii specific and perhaps document my experience when I start.

Virge had put me onto the Drivekey.

Yossarian
15th January 2010, 02:30 PM
:) I tried.

Eldrick
15th January 2010, 03:18 PM
i'll let you poineer this ID
i'm planning on doing mine as soon as i get around to buying a new portable HDD

Minor_Threat
15th January 2010, 06:14 PM
I have successfully soft modded my 4.2E Wii using the following guide --> http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

I also have the latest version Drive Key (can play New Super Mario Bros.) and I have never had an issue.

idgolfguy
15th January 2010, 11:31 PM
Either do it this weekend or the next. More likely the next as I am playing Saturday and Sunday this weekend.

Have to spend some time with the family.

Minor_Threat
16th January 2010, 08:36 AM
Either do it this weekend or the next. More likely the next as I am playing Saturday and Sunday this weekend.

Have to spend some time with the family.Just take your time and read and re-read each step mate, it isnt that hard.

When you start installing wads etc, make sure they are from a reputable source as this is a very quick way to turn your Wii into a door stop.

idgolfguy
17th January 2010, 02:45 AM
Going to use the Wihacks source. Thanks for the good thoughts, MT.

Minor_Threat
17th January 2010, 08:09 AM
Going to use the Wihacks source. Thanks for the good thoughts, MT.No dramas, good luck with it and let us know how you go.

idgolfguy
24th January 2010, 09:27 PM
Soft modded using the WiHacks version and have loade the USB loader to save and run games. Seems to be working. Will have to get the kids to test and let me know how it all goes.

Minor_Threat
24th January 2010, 09:50 PM
Soft modded using the WiHacks version and have loade the USB loader to save and run games. Seems to be working. Will have to get the kids to test and let me know how it all goes.Great stuff mate..

Just make sure noone updates your System Menu or you will be screwed big time!

idgolfguy
24th January 2010, 11:15 PM
Thanks - will do!