PDA

View Full Version : My right foot

Eldrick
15th January 2010, 11:47 AM
hello wise ones who may read this
as a chronic slicer i have been playing around lately trying to straighten my drive

one thing i have discovered is that when i move my back foot(right)
about 3inch back from parallel my drives have straightened quite considerably

not looking to fix anything, i'm more than happy with this working as it does but i am curious to what is making it work

cheers

moree golfer
15th January 2010, 11:56 AM
My 2 cents is it allows you to swing the club a little more inside counteracting the out to in path that creates a slice.

Yossarian
15th January 2010, 12:04 PM
No idea, but maybe they'll make it into a movie one day.

razaar
15th January 2010, 12:07 PM
Most slicers have a body action that is way too fast for their arm swing. Closing the body even slightly will slow the body down because the left leg (and left hip) is in the way. Also slicers usually have an incomplete shoulder turn, combine this with a quick body action and the swing path is way outside the plane of the swing. To keep the ball from going left they block out a release subconsciously and leave the face open to the swing path.

Players who draw the ball usually have a slower body action compared to those who fade the ball.

dhills2
15th January 2010, 02:12 PM
Not smart enough to comment but Raz's explanation makes sense to me, purely because I used to be a chronic slicer of the ball until I started focussing on making a full turn (my focus being on the right hip) - I think this also naturally made me slow down my body as mentioned by Raz. I also drop my right foot back now if I want to hit a big draw to get around a bend. I remember Rocco doing this off the tee in his battle with Tiger at the 08 US Open - I think Golf Digest wrote an article on it as well.

markTHEblake
15th January 2010, 06:24 PM
one thing i have discovered is that when i move my back foot(right)
about 3inch back from parallel my drives have straightened quite considerably

very common technique. the trick is not to close the stance, just drag the foot back so that your feet are still aligned to the target, just each foot is a different parallel line (if that makes sense)

Gary Player is a famous exponent of that.

mardo10
15th January 2010, 08:08 PM
i have tried this myself and its stopped me from slicing as badly as i was .

Eldrick
15th January 2010, 10:03 PM
thanks guys
it will take me a while to build some solid statistical data as to just how effective it is
but early evidence it promising
i had played around with before by over exaggerating it and turn my body(belt buckle) pointing about 45deg behind the ball. just could get any power behind it

Eldrick
15th January 2010, 10:12 PM
Most slicers have a body action that is way too fast for their arm swing. Closing the body even slightly will slow the body down because the left leg (and left hip) is in the way.

slow my body or quicken my arms?

i think i understand the hip thing
moving my right leg/hip back gives it more distance to travel bringing it line with the rest of my body at impact

:smt013 the more i try to figure it out the more frustrated it makes me
anyone recommend a good pro in sydney:smt013

razaar
16th January 2010, 12:27 AM
slow my body or quicken my arms?

i think i understand the hip thing
moving my right leg/hip back gives it more distance to travel bringing it line with the rest of my body at impact

:smt013 the more i try to figure it out the more frustrated it makes me
anyone recommend a good pro in sydney:smt013
The trick is to get the clubhead, hands and right shoulder to almost mirror their address position at impact with the hips cleared towards the target. At the top of the backswing, of the four, the clubhead is by far the furtherest from the ball. The hands are next and the right shoulder which is next has moved maybe 20 cms and the left hip half that distance.
If we use our legs and hips to pull the upper body around and the arms down, allowing centrifugal force to bring the clubhead from in to out and from behind the hands into impact, we must allow these four to carry out their role in sequence to arrive at impact as outlined in the first sentence.
It stands to reason that the right shoulder has to be held in its backswing position momentarily to allow the clubhead and hands to catch up at impact. Unfortunate the right shoulder is in the strongest position at the top of the backswing and golfers make the mistake that the right shoulder is a power source. The power source is the distance and lateness or speed of the clubhead coming from behind the hands. The only role I can see that the right shoulder plays is to help in turning the shoulders during the backswing.
I hope that makes it a little clearer for you.

Jarro
16th January 2010, 12:36 AM
very common technique. the trick is not to close the stance, just drag the foot back so that your feet are still aligned to the target, just each foot is a different parallel line (if that makes sense)

Gary Player is a famous exponent of that.

Didn't Hogan do this also ? :-k

Golfnut
16th January 2010, 01:07 AM
Gosh Raz, you really explain it well and make it sound almost do'able :lol:.....its just something that has to all happen in about a 2sec time frame......that's what makes it so hard to get right I guess?!?!?

markTHEblake
16th January 2010, 09:36 AM
Didn't Hogan do this also ? :-k

yep

virge666
16th January 2010, 11:10 AM
Amatuers so it to stop the over the top pull cut.

Some of the old professionals did it to take the left side of the course out of play. You may see handsy players like Senden and Glover do it also. It is a professional pull. <giggle>

Either way - it ain't good.

Eldrick
16th January 2010, 09:26 PM
The trick is to get the clubhead, hands and right shoulder to almost mirror their address position at impact with the hips cleared towards the target. At the top of the backswing, of the four, the clubhead is by far the furtherest from the ball. The hands are next and the right shoulder which is next has moved maybe 20 cms and the left hip half that distance.
If we use our legs and hips to pull the upper body around and the arms down, allowing centrifugal force to bring the clubhead from in to out and from behind the hands into impact, we must allow these four to carry out their role in sequence to arrive at impact as outlined in the first sentence.
It stands to reason that the right shoulder has to be held in its backswing position momentarily to allow the clubhead and hands to catch up at impact. Unfortunate the right shoulder is in the strongest position at the top of the backswing and golfers make the mistake that the right shoulder is a power source. The power source is the distance and lateness or speed of the clubhead coming from behind the hands. The only role I can see that the right shoulder plays is to help in turning the shoulders during the backswing.
I hope that makes it a little clearer for you.

had a few air swings in the backyard trying to figure out what my hips were doing
i did try and engage the hips first and pull the rest with them.
definitely wasn't doing that before it was more like the hips were coming through last

thanks for the explanations guys
plenty of food for thought,but might just be too big a meal for this part time chopper:)
good to know i have a hogan like swing

Eldrick
9th February 2010, 02:58 PM
have been using the right foot back method for the last two outing,
it is still holding up well
even when they go right they don't go anywhere as far right(a hackers fade)

made a real difference to my golf yesterday actually had some confidence and consistency off the tee
i could planned my next shot instead of playing a recovery from 2 fairways over