PDA

View Full Version : GC Burleigh

PerryGroves
15th January 2010, 10:29 AM
All,

You are probably sick of discussing GC courses however would appreciate your thoughts on GC Burleigh

My old Sydney club has just been made a reciprocal. 20 of us are on tour in March in Byron and have one game to play on the Gold Coast before we fly out. A lot want to play The Glades (we can get a good deal), I could be bothered having played it a dozen times.

I have never played GC Burleigh, to be honest I had never heard of it. I have played the usuals Lakelands, Palm Meadows, Robina, Royal Pines, The Glades and Hope Island as points of reference for a contrast to GC Burleigh

Will the boys be disappointed playing GC Burleigh and missing The Glades, leaving any costs out of the equation?

GC
15th January 2010, 11:52 AM
All,

Will the boys be disappointed playing GC Burleigh and missing The Glades, leaving any costs out of the equation?

I think they will, i feel the Glades is by far a better course both with presentation and the greens.

kpac
15th January 2010, 12:49 PM
It's a good members track. It isn't a resort course tho, like the others you've mentioned.
I think it's a good track, and i don't really get too excited about some of the resort courses, so i would play it. However depends on what the people in your group are expecting.

GC i've always found the greens at Burleigh to be pretty good...

markTHEblake
15th January 2010, 06:46 PM
The greens died at burleigh heads a couple of years ago, the Greenkeeper was sacked (rumours) and they have been crap ever since.

Spoke to a member last weekend, he said they have just come back and they are as good as ever. If you like fast greens, this course is the one.

PerryGroves
15th January 2010, 10:12 PM
Boys, thanks, **** it, I reckon we will chance the arm and put the savings over the bar

Ferrins
27th April 2013, 07:05 PM
CDU mentioned he joined here the other day and got me thinking about it. Any recent reports on the club and how it is going?

CanuckDownUnder
27th April 2013, 08:08 PM
Other than The Grand, its my favourite course on the coast. Great driving course, but driving for workability. Greens are tough to read when slower. Use just about every club in the bag (except 3 wood as I don't carry one). Wind affects the course big time and makes it tough
when it's up. A mix of big greens and small ones. Most of the par 3's are tiered. Close to home and cheap grog. This course makes you think twice.

markTHEblake
27th April 2013, 10:11 PM
Ferrins, have walked around it twice the last couple months. Like everywhere its wet in spots but everythings going fine and I understand they have some membership specials on, as do Southport and Surfers.

CanuckDownUnder
28th April 2013, 07:43 AM
Ferrins, have walked around it twice the last couple months. Like everywhere its wet in spots but everythings going fine and I understand they have some membership specials on, as do Southport and Surfers.

True. The 1st and 18th are the dampest as of late.

Ferrins
28th April 2013, 07:52 AM
Can you hit your own balls at the range?

CanuckDownUnder
28th April 2013, 08:06 PM
not sure. i'll hafta ask. saw some guys picking up balls out there. either that or bloody mushrooms for dinner

39for9
28th April 2013, 09:02 PM
Played there a few weeks ago, quite an open course very forgiving off the tee, par 3s are longish, green were very good not many bunkers.

On a scale using The Glades as 10, I'd rate Burleigh 3, I wouldnt say it was a better course than either Coolangatta Tweeds 2 tracks as mentioned above, easier and more forgiving yes, better?? no.

If you want something different and spectacular, play Brookwater its not a hard course IMO but very very penalising off the tee, miss the fairway don't even bother trying to find it.

peter_rs
28th April 2013, 09:12 PM
39 where are you a member

39for9
28th April 2013, 09:38 PM
Coolangatta Tweed is where I can be found

peter_rs
28th April 2013, 09:44 PM
It explains your view

markTHEblake
28th April 2013, 10:17 PM
True. The 1st and 18th are the dampest as of late.

You mean the bog between the 1st and the 18th I think? the fairways were fine. During the last round of pennant a month ago, that spot was its usual ball magnet, We lost 3 shoes and one caddy.

Unlikely, its a pay for a bucket range, and only about 170m long so for you a 6 iron, since when did you care about practice anyway.
p.s. Mention Ozgolf in the pro shop for a discount or a completely blank look.

On a scale using The Glades as 10, I'd rate Burleigh 3, I wouldnt say it was a better course than either Coolangatta Tweeds 2 tracks as mentioned above, easier and more forgiving yes, better?? no.

Burleigh is a more difficult course than CTH in spades

39for9
28th April 2013, 10:18 PM
It explains your view

Have you played both Burleigh and CT??

if you have you'd agree with me that Burleigh is no way anywhere near as good as or as hard as Coolangatta?? not even close look at the bunkering around tweed, doglegs everywhere, hell on the river course theres only 1 maybe 2 par 4s and 5s that you can see the green from the tee?

It takes precision off the tee to play well at CT, at Burleigh you can be anywhere on the fairway without a problem going for the green with your next shot?

39for9
28th April 2013, 10:21 PM
MTB your on crack.

Why can I play Burleigh site unseen off the plates and shoot 83 (only played it once) and not hit it really well, yet at CT I struggle to break 80 even when I hit every fairway off the tee??

Burleigh harder than CT, nah I don't think so?

Yossarian
28th April 2013, 10:22 PM
Because you are awesome?

39for9
28th April 2013, 10:25 PM
Because you are awesome?

nah its cause CT is way harder, the west greens are lightning when they shave them, and they have massive undulation in them, Burligh from memory had maybe 1 or 2 greens with lots of break, 18 was the most severe from memory??

Yossarian
28th April 2013, 10:26 PM
18 is crazy.

39for9
28th April 2013, 10:29 PM
your crazy

markTHEblake
29th April 2013, 12:10 AM
18 is perhaps one of the tamest greens on the course. Maybe he played Burleigh Palms instead, the par 3 track in west Burleigh.

Tom Waterhouse around? What odds will you give this guy lasting a week?

dc68
29th April 2013, 04:59 AM
Does he own vending machines?

peter_rs
29th April 2013, 07:13 AM
Have you played both Burleigh and CT??

if you have you'd agree with me that Burleigh is no way anywhere near as good as or as hard as Coolangatta?? not even close look at the bunkering around tweed, doglegs everywhere, hell on the river course theres only 1 maybe 2 par 4s and 5s that you can see the green from the tee?

It takes precision off the tee to play well at CT, at Burleigh you can be anywhere on the fairway without a problem going for the green with your next shot?

Have played both. Ct more as I was reciprocal from toowoomba

And would still disagree with you, CT is an easy course as it doesn't ask you to hit driver, a choppa can hit a hybrid all day long and score... I did in my last round on the river.... It is tight but that takes away from the shot making of the recover. I perfer the west it has more interesting holes

I was thinking of playing burleigh again shortly. From memory it only had one dinky hole straight up hill par 4 maybe 250 with a fence and on right.

83 Isn't a smashing 80 score.

Ps do you play many courses if the glades was the 10 on your scale.

39for9
29th April 2013, 09:35 AM
You reckon any chopper can hit a hybrid all day and score.

What do you call a chopper?

To me it is someone off more than about 24, I've played with these so called choppers and they might be lucky to hit 3-4 fairways all day thats why they are off 24+, so they would hardly score well when they are chipping out all day, no sorry choppers don't chip out they try and hit it through that gap and end up with 7s and 8s or more, if they do hit a fairway most choppers aren't good enought to hit a green with anything longer than an 8 iron

If anything the river course will hammer a chopper way more than Burleigh would with its wide open fairways lack of bunkering, I've seen choppers take 5-6 to get out of sand at Tweed too.

But I agree if you are a decent golfer that can think about what "needs" to be hit, yeah you don't need a driver.

But you could say that about most courses, I've played a fair few courses on the coast and none really needed a driver.

Played Brookwater the other day for the first time, didn't hit the driver once, no need to shot mid 80s and it coulda been in the 70s other would disagree no doubt? over to you MTB,

Ferrins
29th April 2013, 09:43 AM
I like the driving range at Coolie Tweed as I can hit balls and fish at the same time.

markTHEblake
29th April 2013, 10:09 AM
I like Ozgolf cos I can talk golf and fish at the same time

peter_rs
29th April 2013, 10:11 AM
I don't use a hcp to define golfers more a mind set.

Hackers don't have the sense not to hit driver,one good drive is worth it
Choppers know better but succumb to the temptation to much
Average golfers play to there strengths and try to avoid large numbers
Good golfers know there misses and there strengths

Ps stats say its less then a 8 iron.

Ps I'm off 13 and a chopper.

If you take 5 out of the sand your a hacker.
If your a Hacker a tight course will hurt

I have played with 80 years olds of 20 that are not choppers they just don't have the distance to play of less

peter_rs
29th April 2013, 10:15 AM
The above is only my opinion and not worth a lot to most

So 39 do you play outside the se corner?

39for9
29th April 2013, 11:15 AM
Yeah just around the Gold Coast

Ferrins
15th March 2014, 08:36 AM
Is this course one of the better to join in this area.

Gollfer69
15th March 2014, 08:50 AM
Yes

Ferrins
15th March 2014, 09:07 AM
Cool banana as looking to buy property.

Gollfer69
15th March 2014, 09:56 AM
Of the traditional Members courses down there (which there really aren't too many i'd have it ahead of Cooly-Tweed, Southport, Surfers, Parkwood, GCCC..man what else is down there ?

markTHEblake
15th March 2014, 10:03 AM
Parkwood and GCCC are not the traditional members courses :-).

Only Southport, Surfers, Burleigh, and CTH are originals, as in built from scratch by the members .. All the rest were built by developers.

Gollfer69
15th March 2014, 01:01 PM
Yeah I was stretching it to add them to the list.

aussieashley
31st January 2015, 06:50 PM
Bumping a bit of an old thread here.
Burleigh Golf Club offering memberships from now until end of June 2016. Basically 17mths membership for the price of 12mths.

$1,815 for full 7 day membership

MAZA68
2nd February 2015, 07:08 PM
Good deal there Ash, what are the fees after the 17 months? It a good track too.

markTHEblake
2nd February 2015, 07:29 PM
Good deal there Ash, what are the fees after the 17 months? It a good track too. 1815pa

aussieashley
2nd February 2015, 07:38 PM
Good deal there Ash, what are the fees after the 17 months? It a good track too.

I think the $1,815 is for new members, but is also the 12mth renewal price for existing members.
2014/15 prices are still on their website and the price has actually come down. Total 14/15 was $1,955 for a full member.

After the 17mths is up I'm assuming you would just be renewing as normal for 12mths at whatever rate they set the fees at for that year. Hopefully they're not planning to get you in cheap now and jack the price right up in 17mths time. I don't think they'd do that as it would also affect their existing member base.

markTHEblake
2nd February 2015, 07:51 PM
$1815 is not a special price, it's their normal annual fee. It's currently just a bit more than Southport, who is a bit more than Surfers as it always has been.

aussieashley
2nd February 2015, 08:01 PM
$1815 is not a special price, it's their normal annual fee. It's currently just a bit more than Southport, who is a bit more than Surfers as it always has been.

Southport website says there's a $1,500 joining fee for there.

MAZA68
2nd February 2015, 08:28 PM
They are all good courses but still a bit rich for my budget.

highballin
19th December 2015, 07:13 PM
Played Burleigh today. Course was in excellent condition and I found it to be a tough test.

No gimmes to be found here most greens are slightly elevated so you have to be up. There is no short and run on.

Played with a great bunch of guys so that made it a very enjoyable day

Blackhelmo
19th December 2015, 10:36 PM
Burleigh is a great track indeed.

aussieashley
19th December 2015, 10:54 PM

Yes, you can.

Glad you liked it highballin. I joined at the start of the year and I'm happy there.
I played early today. I don't think the greens are quite at their best, but are definitely getting firm
and fast now.The course in general is playing pretty well at the moment. The lack of rain means you
can get a bit of run on the fairways.

Godscountry
21st December 2015, 09:19 PM
Played a couple of comps there when I've been up there in holidays. Don't think I'd bother playing anywhere else. Members have been good blokes, cold beer and a decent enough course for qld. The 3rd I think it is...short par 4 had a rubbish green for some reason

markTHEblake
21st December 2015, 09:48 PM
Do you mean a temporary green?

Gollfer69
22nd December 2015, 09:46 AM
3rd green is bent grass, the rest are Couch.

PeteyD
22nd December 2015, 09:49 AM
Why is that?

Daves
4th March 2017, 10:40 AM
Played Burleigh today. Course was in excellent condition and I found it to be a tough test.

No gimmes to be found here most greens are slightly elevated so you have to be up. There is no short and run on.

Played with a great bunch of guys so that made it a very enjoyable day

I have to agree totally with hb. We played Burleigh on Wednesday and really enjoyed it, a very solid layout and it was is great condition. We played in our own group, following the member's comp. The locals we encountered were very friendly, and the GM looked after us.

I presume the Goldie has had a lot more rain recently than we have? The greens were a touch slow, but very true and in great nick.

As to comparison's to CTH (we played the River Course yesterday), you have to be kidding? CTH might be a better value club because you get 2 courses and better practice facilities. But design wise, and condition wise. Burleigh was at least a rung above CTH.

CanuckDownUnder
4th March 2017, 12:03 PM
I have to agree totally with hb. We played Burleigh on Wednesday and really enjoyed it, a very solid layout and it was is great condition. We played in our own group, following the member's comp. The locals we encountered were very friendly, and the GM looked after us.

I presume the Goldie has had a lot more rain recently than we have? The greens were a touch slow, but very true and in great nick.

As to comparison's to CTH (we played the River Course yesterday), you have to be kidding? CTH might be a better value club because you get 2 courses and better practice facilities. But design wise, and condition wise. Burleigh was at least a rung above CTH.

My Old GC. I'll renew my membership when I the chance to play more