PDA

View Full Version : LTB's Serious Tilt in 210. New clubs acquired

leighthebee
15th January 2010, 09:12 AM
For those that don't know.....

Grew up playing at Redland Bay. Got to a handicap of 7 and moved to Pacific a few years ago and have drifted (well shot out) to 11.

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4011212417

Due to a harder course and a lot less time for golf.

Now that I'm a bit fitter, I'm looking to get stuck back in and actually practice, which I haven't done previously in any seriousness.

I am using Taylor RAC's that I got from here a few years ago.

http://ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5455&highlight=leighthebee

and am looking to go more forgiving, i.e. a shot improvement club that will still give good feedback when hopefully, I'm shooting better scores.

I was looking at Ping I15's as I like the "have them forever" finish on them, not to mention there easily identifiable specs, as I need them 4 degrees upright.

I see virge is selling the ap2's and that could be a road I travel too.

I had discounted the G15's as too chunky, but am I overestimating my ability.

Unfortunately, and I'm sure I'm not alone, I grew up playing blades and so prefer a club that is in no way suitable to my game. I never got the hang of Callaway's etc, as they seem too "out there" and when I go into pro shop's, I am drawn by the x proto's, rather than the big berthas.

So the plan, is to get a lesson this weekend, get something to work on, and maybe start hunting new irons. I know I am getting new wedges as the head on my Taylor Z came loose and I put an old Mizuno raw in the bag in the meantime and it felt SO much better off the face. Will probably go back to vokey's or try the PING wedges, as I like to match brands, not a big fan of 4 different manufacturer's in my bag.

Any e-pinions much appreciated.

Cheers
Leigh

pt73
15th January 2010, 09:15 AM
If you're looking at the i15s do a search on Golfwrx, the general opinion over there seems to be that the i15s aren't that forgiving compared to the i10 and a lot less than the i5.

just
15th January 2010, 09:26 AM
I have tried all three and own the i15's, they are much easier to use than the i10's and just as forgiving as i5's.

pt
all the threads on i15's I have read on WRX say the opposite. We must read different threads.

Webster
15th January 2010, 09:26 AM
4* up? How tall are you?

Stuart
15th January 2010, 09:40 AM
I have tried all three and own the i15's, they are much easier to use than the i10's and just as forgiving as i5's.

pt
all the threads on i15's I have read on WRX say the opposite. We must read different threads.

Agreed.

I am similar to the OP, in that I grew up in the 80s playing blades (handicap of 6), and am only now just getting back into golf again (playing off 12). I recently got a new set of irons and picked the i15s as they were the best compromise of forgiveness without being shovels. I also tried the i10s and there was no comparison - i15s were far better.

3oneday
15th January 2010, 09:42 AM
I'd question the 4 degree up, unless you are 7' with Jarro length arms.

BrisVegas
15th January 2010, 09:55 AM
I love a bold statement...

Still loving the RAC's. Feel from them is just superb. These are NEVER getting sold.

fwiw, i reckon irons are irons are irons.... Spend your money on driver and short game.

henno
15th January 2010, 09:56 AM
Or this one:

RACS are probably in the bag 'til they wear out.

Ned
15th January 2010, 09:57 AM
Nudgee has that 710 Combo for sale as well, but dont hold your breath on the driver, it will be out of the bag by Sunday I would expect...............

And then Im getting it!!!!!:mrgreen:

BrisVegas
15th January 2010, 09:58 AM
Nudgee has that 710 Combo for sale as well, but dont hold your breath on the driver, it will be out of the bag by Sunday I would expect...............

And then Im getting it!!!!!:mrgreen:

you can have it. I've spent my ho funds on a hybrid and my bike. 8-)

3oneday
15th January 2010, 09:58 AM
not a big fan of 4 different manufacturer's in my bag.
whatever works, I have a different model driver, fairway, hybrid, irons, wedges and putter ;)

henno
15th January 2010, 09:59 AM
whatever works, I have a different model driver, fairway, hybrid, irons, wedges and putter ;)

Me too, currently! :mrgreen:

Ned
15th January 2010, 10:00 AM
you can have it. I've spent my ho funds on a hybrid and my bike. 8-)

One Low baller down!!!!!!!!!!:twisted:

Back on topic, Ive got 5 brands in my kit!

leighthebee
15th January 2010, 10:53 AM
4* up? How tall are you?

6"3' with short arms. This is from more than 1 fitting session, with me not telling them about the others. Can't dispute it.

leighthebee
15th January 2010, 10:54 AM
I love a bold statement...

fwiw, i reckon irons are irons are irons.... Spend your money on driver and short game.

Heh. Yeah. I still love them and won't sell them, the problem is hitting one shot every ten that feels mint.

leighthebee
15th January 2010, 11:02 AM
Or this one:

well, they'll be in A bag of mine, 'til they wear out

leighthebee
15th January 2010, 11:08 AM

whatever floats your boat...:mrgreen:

personally, just looks too busy.

My driver is fine, or as good as I will find, the 3 wood is good, thats more my talent at fault, the irons are fantastic, just I'm too inconsistent for them atm.

Putter is brilliant, it does exactly what I swing through with and wedges I've detailed.

I just need to hit more fairways and greens

damoocow
15th January 2010, 12:17 PM
You still using the Cobra L4v ?

leighthebee
15th January 2010, 01:24 PM
yep. best driver i've hit....

lucky
15th January 2010, 02:00 PM
don't discount the older ping models s58/59's. Very good clubs, players look with just that bit of forgiveness needed and a good price from OS.

Captain Nemo
15th January 2010, 02:07 PM
Zig's Cally X-20 Tour heads would be a good buy.
Very good condn, put whatever shafts you like in them.

leighthebee
15th January 2010, 02:08 PM
those S58 and 57's are too bladey those i think.

leighthebee
15th January 2010, 02:13 PM
Zig's Cally X-20 Tour heads would be a good buy.
Very good condn, put whatever shafts you like in them.

interesting design.

they seem to have weight on either side down low, whereas the I15's have the weight in the middle and toe down low.

anyone know how these design theories would differ?

i struggle to loft the ball as I move to much weight through forward before impact. working on this progressively and can launch it when I try and hold all the weight back on the back foot.

just
15th January 2010, 02:36 PM
interesting design.

they seem to have weight on either side down low, whereas the I15's have the weight in the middle and toe down low.

anyone know how these design theories would differ?

i struggle to loft the ball as I move to much weight through forward before impact. working on this progressively and can launch it when I try and hold all the weight back on the back foot.
I don't understand what you wrote, but i15's with AWT's have a high ball flight. Hope this helps.

leighthebee
15th January 2010, 02:52 PM
I don't understand what you wrote, but i15's with AWT's have a high ball flight. Hope this helps.

Ha. Just looking at the weight design of the Cally's as compared to the I15's.

Are AWT's similar to DGS300 in weight. Obviously kick would be different but I need a pretty strong shaft.

just
15th January 2010, 03:02 PM
I think the AWT's are slightly lighter, about 110grams vs 130 grams. I think Ping offer the DGS300 at no upcharge, but you would have to check

virge666
15th January 2010, 05:46 PM
If you have RAC's - they are and were great clubs... I loved mine.

Some suggestions..

my Titty AP2 :)
The TP2 cavities from TM in about 2005 - I think
Ping i10 and i15 - i10 woudl be closest to your Racs
Nothing Callaway - even proto's woudl be too harsh
Any of the Srixon Tour clubs - though a bit chunky.

I would be stick with the TM Cavities - greta club and very very undervalued.
The Pings may be a bit ugly after the RACs
The titties are a great option if you want to spend around the $600 mark.

goonie
15th January 2010, 09:52 PM
I'd get the X22 tours before the X20 Tour shovels :-)
The R9TP's look great at address, and are forgiving too, and the least offset of any current OEM players Cavities.

henno
15th January 2010, 09:58 PM
The R9TP's look great at address, and are forgiving too, and the least offset of any current OEM players Cavities.

The '09 TPs have less offset.

goonie
15th January 2010, 10:08 PM
The '09 TPs have less offset.

only in the 3 and 4 iron, the rest have less.

Scottt
15th January 2010, 10:09 PM
those S58 and 57's are too bladey those i think.

I have the S58s. They are crazy forgiving in the long irons. Bit more offset than I usually like, but love em.

henno
15th January 2010, 10:11 PM
only in the 3 and 4 iron, the rest have less.

Really? That sounds a bit backwards (for the '09 TPs). If anything I'd want more offset in the 3-4 and less in the 5-W. Interesting.

I hope TM come out with a new version at some point: RP TP Non-Ugly ;-)

Yossarian
15th January 2010, 10:11 PM
Dare I suggest MP-33's?

Haystacks
15th January 2010, 10:36 PM
Ha. Just looking at the weight design of the Cally's as compared to the I15's.

Are AWT's similar to DGS300 in weight. Obviously kick would be different but I need a pretty strong shaft.

Probably not going to help the equation, but...

I have i10's which were fitted Ping wrx with dg r300. With the AWT's in S flex, ballooned the ball real bad.

I still don't hit it low with the DG's, but a lot lower than than AWT's.

leighthebee
18th January 2010, 08:17 AM
92 at Royal Pines yesterday. Not a good start.

Stuart
18th January 2010, 09:09 AM

I went with the zz65s as the AWTs certainly hit the ball too high (as I am already a high ball hitter). The zz65s helped to level out the flight.

leighthebee
27th January 2010, 02:58 PM
Just documenting this thread for my own personal record....

So I went and had a lesson and was pretty much told by my pro to work on my course management.

Played 9 holes this morning. Hit 6 of 7 fairways and 5 greens for a 38.

Only hit my driver once.....and it was the only time I missed the fairway.

Seems from the lesson last, I have overcompensated and getting my hips clear too early. Also getting through the ball too soon and need to lead with my hands.

Slow the tempo down a bit and voila, hit mostly nice fades all morning.

Early days, but a glimmer of hope.....

leighthebee
26th February 2010, 10:04 PM
first run with the S58's tomorrow....

first run at a Pacific Comp since Sept 09.

anticipating a LONG day.....

razaar
26th February 2010, 10:23 PM
What style of irons fit your eye...the square type or the more rounded etc? Once you know the style of head, your alternatives narrow somewhat. Personally, I prefer the stock shafts in Callaway clubs to TaylorMade, Ping and Co., not because they perform better but feel better, more of a confidence issue.

Eag's
26th February 2010, 10:43 PM
For those that don't know.....

Grew up playing at Redland Bay. Got to a handicap of 7 and moved to Pacific a few years ago and have drifted (well shot out) to 11.

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4011212417

Due to a harder course and a lot less time for golf.

Now that I'm a bit fitter, I'm looking to get stuck back in and actually practice, which I haven't done previously in any seriousness.

I am using Taylor RAC's that I got from here a few years ago.

http://ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5455&highlight=leighthebee

and am looking to go more forgiving, i.e. a shot improvement club that will still give good feedback when hopefully, I'm shooting better scores.

I was looking at Ping I15's as I like the "have them forever" finish on them, not to mention there easily identifiable specs, as I need them 4 degrees upright.

I see virge is selling the ap2's and that could be a road I travel too.

I had discounted the G15's as too chunky, but am I overestimating my ability.

Unfortunately, and I'm sure I'm not alone, I grew up playing blades and so prefer a club that is in no way suitable to my game. I never got the hang of Callaway's etc, as they seem too "out there" and when I go into pro shop's, I am drawn by the x proto's, rather than the big berthas.

So the plan, is to get a lesson this weekend, get something to work on, and maybe start hunting new irons. I know I am getting new wedges as the head on my Taylor Z came loose and I put an old Mizuno raw in the bag in the meantime and it felt SO much better off the face. Will probably go back to vokey's or try the PING wedges, as I like to match brands, not a big fan of 4 different manufacturer's in my bag.

Any e-pinions much appreciated.

Cheers
Leigh

first run with the S58's tomorrow....

first run at a Pacific Comp since Sept 09.

anticipating a LONG day.....

I can understand where you are coming from, I had a large break from the game (roughly 7 years) and came back to the game expecting to still be able to play to a 7 Hcp. What a wake up call it was finding myself blowing out to a 14 Hcp when I returned. It has taken me a while to realise I can't play to that Hcp anymore unless I work my arse off. So far I have managed to get back down to 10 which is quite satisfying. Good luck in your pursuit of your old Hcp, Pacific is a very good course so if you are able to get back down to where you once were, it would be a very nice achievement :smt023

leighthebee
27th February 2010, 06:28 AM
Eag's, we are very much in the same boat I think.

leighthebee
28th February 2010, 09:38 AM
Saturday the 27th Feb.

5 Fairways, 6 greens, 27 putts, 82 for nett 71. Lost .2 to be on 10.7

Didn't hit the ball all that flash, but didn't hit it terribly either. Couple of shots that with the old clubs might have had a completely different result, but the new ones with some extra forgiveness allowed me to get away with them.

Greens are pretty tidy considering being cored last Monday.

virge666
28th February 2010, 09:53 AM
What did you have before S58's.

As they are for all intent and purposes a blade with a little lower center of gravity to give you a bit more spin and higher launch off the clubface.

leighthebee
28th February 2010, 10:05 AM
Taylor RAC CB's

leighthebee
28th February 2010, 10:12 AM
What did you have before S58's.

As they are for all intent and purposes a blade with a little lower center of gravity to give you a bit more spin and higher launch off the clubface.

and that lower cg is what saved a couple i think.

my wedge shot into the 13th Par 3 was only 3/4 on the clubface (at least a 1/4 must have been below from the mark left) and tight into the hosel and finished pin high 20 foot from the pin.

have not had that joy from the taylors.

not saying they are a ton more forgiving, but they are more forgiving.

leighthebee
28th February 2010, 08:10 PM
4 Fairways, 2 Greens, 88 for 31 points.

Just never got anything going. Heaps of putts, heaps fo chips obviously when you only hit 2 greens all day.......

virge666
28th February 2010, 08:15 PM
not saying they are a ton more forgiving, but they are more forgiving.

Fair call - the S58's were a great club . . . sorry . . . still are.

leighthebee
19th March 2010, 03:56 PM
How quickly the year flys by. Already March.

Been sporadic practicing, but play has significantly improved. Last 2 outings have had 38 and 37 points. 9 holes yesterday was 7 Pars, 1 birdie and 1 triple so have to be content with that.

Very happy with the new S58's. Hitting them a touch further than the RACS and a nice feel, a lot due to the lighter shaft I think.

Still spraying my driver, but hopefully the new shaft from MW will tighten that up.

Big improvement from the Mizuno wedges over the Taylors RACS. So much more feel.

Swingwise. So much better ball striking since I focused on keeping my head still! I know it's one of those common sense things, but its amazing how little crappy things creep into golf swings without constant vigilance. Also its hard to identify these things when not playing regularly.

Think the difference in about 10 shots a round for me at the moment is practice.

Also loving the Anser I'm playing now. Back to what I know and instantly feel at home. 11 putts for the 9 holes yesterday. Wrapped.

leighthebee
19th June 2014, 09:37 PM
Let's make that 2014!

Dotty
19th June 2014, 09:38 PM
Did you get paroled today?

Captain Nemo
19th June 2014, 09:54 PM
Got stuck in he honey?

Godscountry
20th June 2014, 01:32 PM
I must get some new irons, still using r9tp's and this thread is as old as the hills!!

billp
20th June 2014, 02:07 PM
I'm still using the R7TP's and have no intention of moving them out of the bag anytime soon.

Wenz
20th June 2014, 02:17 PM
I'm still using the R7TP's and have no intention of moving them out of the bag anytime soon.

Good set those.