PDA

View Full Version : operation 33

zigwah
14th January 2010, 10:41 PM
a couple of pics of 5 mins work, these should come up a treat. this iron will only need another half hour and should be ready for plating.

henno
14th January 2010, 10:44 PM
I assume the first pic is the "after" shot?

Looks pretty good so far though.

Captain Nemo
15th January 2010, 09:27 AM
Zig, your entertainment value on this site is 2nd to none!
Love it!

adlo
15th January 2010, 09:34 AM
a couple of pics of 5 mins work, these should come up a treat. this iron will only need another half hour and should be ready for planting.

:-k

JohnLLL
15th January 2010, 02:26 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the process you have used to strip the club?

zigwah
15th January 2010, 04:19 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the process you have used to strip the club? wire brush steel wool and buff

zigwah
15th January 2010, 04:31 PM
I have to a crossroad already in operation 33 :neutral:

I have found that after preparing the irons, that they are not worthy of the money to replate imo, they may be, but there will be a hell of a lot of sandpaper work.

what are my options now?

Hot Black oxide i'm led to believe this is quite dangerous?
cold Black oxide no danger but will still rust
rust messy having so many raw clubs, but good look if looked after
gun blueing why are people so against this process?

These are the options i have thought about, do you guy have anything to add if not what would you do.

Chris32
15th January 2010, 04:44 PM
Zig, have you thought about getting them sandblasted to a satin finish?

I remember Matt 3 Jab ( I think) doing such a thing to a few clubs

You'd still have the chrome, but it would hide dings etc rather well

zigwah
15th January 2010, 04:47 PM
Zig, have you thought about getting them sandblasted to a satin finish?

I remember Matt 3 Jab ( I think) doing such a thing to a few clubs

You'd still have the chrome, but it would hide dings etc rather well

I think that would add a few dollars to the project adding sandblasting on after chrome plating them, i'm not sure the chrome plate will cover up all the dings

JohnLLL
15th January 2010, 04:50 PM
http://images.tcpglobal.com/KRY/KRY51511.png
8-) cheap as!

Webster
15th January 2010, 04:50 PM
zig, leave them the way they are and just let them rust. a dunk in a bucket of Coke every few months will have them looking great.

Chris32
15th January 2010, 05:19 PM
I think that would add a few dollars to the project adding sandblasting on after chrome plating them, i'm not sure the chrome plate will cover up all the dings

Nah, sandblast them instead of chroming, then just coke the rust off as required

rodders
15th January 2010, 05:48 PM
zig, leave them the way they are and just let them rust. a dunk in a bucket of Coke every few months will have them looking great.

Till they simply disappear!

zigwah
15th January 2010, 06:20 PM
Nah, sandblast them instead of chroming, then just coke the rust off as required

considering the amount of weight that has been lost in taking the chrome off, will sandblasting take off much more weight?

Will they then be too light?

zigwah
15th January 2010, 09:11 PM
can anyone please give me a rough figure that i would be looking at to sandblast 8 heads?

Dazza
15th January 2010, 09:40 PM
Any metal fabricators nearby Zig? They should be able to do it for you, unless you know someone with a sand blaster.
No expert, but I wouldn't think it'd cost too much.

Scoot
15th January 2010, 09:57 PM
can anyone please give me a rough figure that i would be looking at to sandblast 8 heads?

Go the right way about it, and you should get away with a case of beer.

I.e walk into the workshop and speak to whoever looks at you, DO NOT walk into the office.

Toolish
15th January 2010, 11:21 PM
I have wondered a few times, with sandblasting etc aren't you wrecking the groove profile on the club and taking any sharp edges off, therefore making the performance of the club worse?

zigwah
16th January 2010, 02:27 PM
There are plenty of sand blasters in town, just no platers.

Toolish i am wondering what the blasting will do to the grooves also? Anyone know the answer?

anyone know if mp33's are u or v grooves, i can't quite tell.

Daves
16th January 2010, 04:18 PM
U grooves I believe.