PDA

View Full Version : Lions v Bombers Practice Match, Carrara Stadium, March 5

AndyP
3rd March 2005, 12:26 PM
Anybody else going to this? Blakey, G69, Gaz?

Game starts at 7pm. Cost is $10.
I'm heading down with a few mates, and am wondering if it is worthwhile going a bit earlier, grabbing a park, and having a couple of drinks at Emmy Lakes first. How close is the golf club, or is there a more suitable drinking venue?

From what I have read, Essendon won't be sending up a junior squad like they played for last week's match. Hird, Lloyd and co will be playing.

AndyP
3rd March 2005, 12:39 PM
AP,
I didn't know this was on.
I might take my young bloke for a look.
I'll keep my eye out for you.

Emmy Lakes is the best shot....its directly across the road. Hit a bucket of pills first.
Can you hit a bucket of pills and have a beer at the same time? Wishful thinking, I suppose.
Directly across which road? Nerang-Broadbeach Rd? Only a couple of minutes walk?

gazgolf1
3rd March 2005, 01:44 PM
Thinkin about going but I hear its going to be a stinker on Saturday..34 degrees or something which might rule me out,sick to death of summer. :roll:

markTHEblake
3rd March 2005, 01:48 PM
My Son is playing in the half time game on saturday night so i am going. I might have a spare general admittance free ticket to share, wont know until friday. Stand tickets are presold, general admittance on the day.

You wont be allowed into Emerald Lakes after the game. Last week they had security guards on the gate, cos all the yobbos came in the week before. But if your with a Emerald Lakes Member who has his ID card you should be ok.

Get to Emerald Lakes early, park on the driving range entrance not the main one, which you access from Highway Exit 73, Neilsons then Birmingham rd That way you wil be able to get away without the trafffic problems.

markTHEblake
3rd March 2005, 01:52 PM
Andy, the Carrara stadium carpark is next door to Emerald Lakes. You cant get any closer than that.

AndyP
3rd March 2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys.
Probably won't go into Emmy for post-match drinks, but I was thinking about it for a few cheap beers beforehand.

Thinkin about going but I hear its going to be a stinker on Saturday..34 degrees or something which might rule me out,sick to death of summer. :roll:

We're now in Autumn Gaz.
Plus it's at night.

Jarro
3rd March 2005, 02:59 PM
Anybody else going to this?

:smt015 :smt015 :smt015 :smt015 :smt015

Jarro
3rd March 2005, 03:07 PM
Geez jarro where is your sporting pride ?
Blokes kicking a ball....cheerleaders...beer on sale..what more do you want ?

well.... seeing as you put it that way :shock: :smt016

Onewood
3rd March 2005, 06:54 PM
There were 17,000 at the NRL game and there will probably be only about 1000 at the AFL game though.

17,000 at all practice game's :wink: what does the ground hold.

sounds like a good family night out 8)
family night :!: :!: :shock: gotta take a skipper :D

Iain
3rd March 2005, 07:28 PM

Sorry Kev, I'm working!!!! :P :P :P

Onewood
3rd March 2005, 07:58 PM

:lol: :lol: Drink's cart probably would'nt come around anyway :wink: :D

Iain
3rd March 2005, 08:14 PM

:lol: :lol: Drink's cart probably would'nt come around anyway :wink: :D
Couldn't make it to our back nine the other day, not likely to make it to Carrara Stadium.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

AndyP
4th March 2005, 07:48 AM
There were 17,000 at the NRL game and there will probably be only about 1000 at the AFL game though.

17,000 at all practice game's :wink: what does the ground hold.
I've read that Carrara holds 18,000.
It is being considered as an alternate venue for the MCG when the Commonwealth Games are on in 2006, and as a Wizard Cup venue.

gazgolf1
6th March 2005, 08:29 AM
So who went....how was it....could you feel the ghost of Warwick Capper running around with his arse hanging out? :lol:

gazgolf1
6th March 2005, 08:53 AM
http://lions.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=188686

Good crowd,16,591 and Charman injured again. #-o

Onewood
6th March 2005, 12:04 PM
Mathew went down and was just in front of the paddy wagon, when the nice policeman where offering the STREAKER a lift home :D he offered the cops $150 to let him go...then $350 [-X with the reply of "I think its going to cost you a lot more than that :wink: " he must have thought they where a taxi service :lol:

AP was saying the game got off to a flyer scoring wise and slowed towards the end

markTHEblake
6th March 2005, 12:44 PM
Here is a pic i took of the best player on the ground kicking for goal after taking a screamer over a pack of defenders. In fact he took 3 that would have made Cazaly look ordinary. Not bad for a first gamer in front of 16000 people.

http://img100.exs.cx/img100/7407/img0066small2eg.jpg

Onewood
6th March 2005, 01:35 PM
Nice shot Blakey 8) More talent than his old man will ever have, looking at his style :wink:

Jarro
6th March 2005, 02:08 PM
i see he gets his dress sense from his old man too .....

.. white boots :roll:

AndyP
6th March 2005, 05:19 PM
Here is a pic i took ....
Blakey, check the photo you took when the kids ran out on the ground. Look for a knob on the fence in the background with a yellow shirt.

Was your son playing at the scoreboard end? I saw you in the "no alcohol" area watching the main game, as I was a bit further around under the scoreboard.
Did you leave early?

I parked in the driving range and had an easy drive out. Thanks.

--------

Wasn't a bad game of footy last night, some nice grabs and goals.
Lions got off to a flier, and it looked like there was more than one Charman out there, as he was popping up at both ends, until he got injured.
Not too much for the Bomber fans to get exciting about though.
There was a good atmosphere at the ground, but I don't think it is up to AFL standard.

markTHEblake
6th March 2005, 07:41 PM
well i must have walked past you 15 times then. I thought i did hear someone yelling at 'hey wanker' but just assumed that Matthew Lloyd was pulling up his shorts again.

i watched the little league game from behind the goal posts. i also parked at the driving range but i left around 3/4 time. the only reason i stayed that long was my boy was kicking the footy around with his mates. Despite my lack of interest in the game it was great to see such a huge crowd there. I probably watched about 5 mins of the game all up.

this is the pic your talking about, unfortunately i had it set at low res but i cant tell if the nob in the yellow shirt is you.

http://img215.exs.cx/img215/148/img00591lx.jpg

Onewood
6th March 2005, 09:57 PM
West Coast Eagles color's 8) the boy can't go wrong there :D

markTHEblake
6th March 2005, 11:32 PM
he got a rash from that poofy blue and yellow. I'll get him into some decent colours soon. i must admit it could have been a lot worse, like red and black or navy blue.

AndyP
7th March 2005, 08:14 AM
well i must have walked past you 15 times then.
Everytime you seemed to be walking in my direction, you took a detour. I figured you were just trying to avoid me.

I thought i did hear someone yelling at 'hey wanker' but just assumed that Matthew Lloyd was pulling up his shorts again.
Or it could have been me abusing Ty Zantuck again.

this is the pic your talking about, unfortunately i had it set at low res but i cant tell if the nob in the yellow shirt is you.
Here I am, I don't know how you couldn't spot me in that photo.
http://img79.exs.cx/img79/9263/img00591lx4qg.jpg

What did you think of the ground, Blakey? Can they host an AFL game there when the Commonwealth Games takes over the MCG? I don't think so, unless they are planning to spend a bit of money.

Fishman Dan
7th March 2005, 08:46 AM
he got a rash from that poofy blue and yellow. I'll get him into some decent colours soon. i must admit it could have been a lot worse, like red and black or navy blue.

As long as they are colours - which of course would exclude Black and White.

Here's hoping..

AndyP
25th May 2005, 09:01 AM
There was a good atmosphere at the ground, but I don't think it is up to AFL standard.
Excellent news. :D

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15398827%255E20322,00.html

Carrara goes back to the future
25 May 2005 Herald Sun
Damian Barrett

FOOTBALL'S permanent return to the Gold Coast will begin next year, with the AFL to schedule four matches at the Carrara venue it abandoned, seemingly forever, in 1992.

Provided necessary refurbishments are completed on the stadium's dressingrooms, playing surface and floodlights, two premiership season and two pre-season matches will be scheduled.

The AFL, in its long-term strategic outlook, last year publicly identified the Gold Coast and west Sydney as regions that would be pursued in the long term for club relocations.

Fixturing home-and-away games at Carrara was brought forward to 2006 to fill some of the void created by the MCG's unavailability because of the Commonwealth Games.

But the AFL always intended to schedule major matches at the venue before 2010.

It will try to schedule home-and-away games at Carrara beyond 2006.

MCG co-tenants Hawthorn and Melbourne are favoured to be listed as the "home" teams in early home-and-away matches next year, with Richmond also a possibility.

Hawks chief executive Ian Robson has been discussing the Carrara option for several months with the AFL and Southport Sharks, the massively profitable Gold Coast club that has been seeking regular AFL matches since 1996.

"As one of the principally affected clubs in the MCG unavailability, our discussions have consistently had Carrara as an option, and we are delighted to see the AFL's statement of intent on that issue," Robson said.

"We are hopeful further discussions with all relevant parties can bring that about and bring certainty to planning."

Demons chief executive Steve Harris said his club was considering substantial proposals to play matches next year in Launceston, Cairns and the Gold Coast.

"The final decision rests with the AFL, but the reality is we face the prospect of one or two games needing to be transferred, and if that is the case then we will look for the optimum financial benefit," Harris said.

Impetus for the rebirth of Carrara came from a crowd of 16,000 that attended a practice match there this year between the Lions and Bombers.

Ben Buckley, AFL manager of broadcasting, strategy and major projects, said the onus was on Gold Coast City Council to ensure the ground was refurbished to AFL levels.

The AFL will commit up to $1 million to the upgrade, provided works are to its approval.

"Provided that happens, and provided it stacks up commercially, two home-and-away, a Wizard Cup and Wizard Regional Challenge match will be played there next year," Buckley said.

The Carrara move is a key plank of the AFL's plans for football's growth, with 2015 the speculative time frame for a club -- a relocated outfit or a new franchise -- to be based on the Gold Coast.

Competition with rugby league in the region has become fierce. The NRL is on Friday likely to confirm a new franchise will be based on the Gold Coast from 2007.

It is yet to be decided by the Gold Coast City Council, Queensland Government and the sporting bodies whether rugby league will use the run-down Carrara venue currently configured for Australian football, or have a purpose-built stadium erected near that site.

"When we released our strategic plan 18 months ago we targeted south-east Queensland as being a priority and we identified then that we would complement our game development initiatives with more frequent game events," Buckley said.

"This is part of that strategy, and I guess in some ways the Commonwealth Games being on next year has allowed us to look at playing home-and-away matches.

"We will have an eye to the future with this, it is part of our strategic planning and we were particularly pleased with what came out of the Wizard Regional Challenge game."

Carrara was used for 61 Brisbane Bears matches from that club's inception in 1987 until 1992. The Bears moved to the Gabba in 1993.

Gold Coast mayor Ron Clarke said he hoped next year's premiership matches would be the beginning of regular fixturing at Carrara.