PDA

View Full Version : What's Oxley like ATM?

kristofor
12th January 2010, 07:09 PM
Hey Guys,

Well it has been a long time since I have been on the forums. Life just got in the road of my pursuit to play golf for the past year or so. Anyway having just finished my degree I now find myself as a freelance journalist with an incredible amount of 'free' time on my hands. Not one to waste this time I have managed to get in quite a few games over christmas and want to continue that.

I have been looking around at some of the clubs to join, I was at pacific a while back before I got super busy and didn't bother renewing, but have been looking at Oxley lately cause its closer.

Just wondering what everyone thinks of the condition of Oxley lately?? Hows it looking?? I can join for 6 months for less than 300 and no noms cause I slot into the intermediate category so I figure it might be worth it.

Other option would be to look at Brisbane Golf club, similar distance from home but far more expensive and I know no one there. Added bonus though is it's right next door to the tennis centre where I play tennis a fair bit.

Anyway just thought I would check what you guys thought before I went and signed up.

Cheers,
Kris

sms316
12th January 2010, 07:12 PM
Played there a month ago. Apart from the 12th green, the condition of the course was fine. 12th green may be back by know for all I know.

Shoot Tex a PM. He's a member there.

Moe Norman
12th January 2010, 09:04 PM
I drove past on the way to the dump on Sunday, it looked to be in excellent condition - which I believe is the norm since the dam went in.

I wouldn't join there though.

kristofor
12th January 2010, 09:05 PM
I drove past on the way to the dump on Sunday, it looked to be in excellent condition - which I believe is the norm since the dam went in.

I wouldn't join there though.

Where would you join??

Moe Norman
12th January 2010, 09:13 PM
somewhere else.

kristofor
12th January 2010, 09:16 PM
somewhere else.

haha, is there a reasoning behind that??

backintheswing
12th January 2010, 09:59 PM
I was a member there for the last few years. I only recently left when I moved from Brisbane to Mackay. It is a good quality course at reasonable membership and I have no problem recommending it to new prospective members. Shoot me a PM if you want to know anything.

Moe Norman
12th January 2010, 10:41 PM
kristofor, you need to give more info before someone can make a membership recommendation.

As for Oxle, I think it would be an 'ok' place to join if you're not a Saturday morning comp golfer.

What is your budget, how old are you etc?

When do you like to play?

kristofor
12th January 2010, 10:58 PM
kristofor, you need to give more info before someone can make a membership recommendation.

As for Oxle, I think it would be an 'ok' place to join if you're not a Saturday morning comp golfer.

What is your budget, how old are you etc?

When do you like to play?

Ok cheers mate,

I'm 22 (might still be a uni student, just waiting to find out), budget is probably up to around $1000 a yr subs but a little flexible on that, one of the big killers though is the nomination fees. Generally I would want to play through the week mornings or afternoons depending on work or on Sundays but I won't be playing saturdays at all.

What I would like is a decent and challenging course (no goat tracks), where the members and staff are great, not too crowded, and added bonus is good practice facilities. Also don't want to travel too far to get to the course, 15-25 minutes is ideal but courses which are within 40 minutes are on the cards, but obviously to travel further the course would need to be significantly better in all aspects.

If I did join at Oxley I would probably also be looking at getting a Tee Off Australia membership to gain access to many the other courses to give myself some more variety.

Moe Norman
12th January 2010, 11:58 PM
is it a long term thing? don't let noms put you off a course where you may be a member for 30 years.

Given your age, and the fact that you don't play Saturdays.

My two suggestions are this:

1. Royal Queensland - Intermediate 21-24
$3k Nom $1.3k Subs
Stunning quality course, never anyone out there, and can set you up at a quality club for life.

When you turn 25, you just switch over to a 6 day membership at $1661 subs

2. Brisbane Golf Club -Intermediate 22
$1.6k noms $1.2k subs
Good quality private club, never any problems getting a game and apart from the odd Sat morning, you will get around in 3 hours. Always in perfect condition.

When you turn 25, you just go to the 6 day membership at $1605 subs.

I can't stress to you enough how important it is to make a good decision regarding this while you are 22, it saves many hassles and $ in the future.

kristofor
13th January 2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks for all that Moe,

If I joined Oxley right now it would only be for 6 months and then I would be looking to join one of the other clubs. One of my cousins has just joined at RQ so that actually sounds like it could be a good option. I could join Oxley then mid year join RQ by which time I will have enough to pay the noms. The unfortunate thing is Six day members have to be 55.. but by the time I'm 25 I probably wont be worried as much about the price difference.