PDA

View Full Version : Barnbougle Dunes - 72 holes - 12-13 March

BrisVegas
3rd March 2005, 09:09 AM
Looking for one more to join us.... (apologies, I meant to post this earlier, but have had too much going on lately that I forgot about it).

1. BrisVegas
2. Brooky17
3. my uncle-in-law John
4. ??

Flights - Friday 11/3 Jetstar 1140-1515 Bris-Launceston
Monday 14/3 Jetsar 1540-1700 Launceston-Bris

We'll probably be playing Launceston GC on Monday morning as well, if we have the energy left.

Will post back here again with scores and reviews after the big trip. 8)

EDIT - going back again 8th March 2007, 7:50am if anyone is down that way.

Jarro
3rd March 2005, 03:04 PM
YES BABY....count me in !

No wait....no money....no holiday leave....no brownie points...no game...sorry about that.

Jarro
3rd March 2005, 03:09 PM
too easy.

no grape shirts and slimming black pants though [-X

Jarro
3rd March 2005, 03:12 PM
mate, if i have the chance to towel you up.. i'll be there for sure :P

terryand
3rd March 2005, 03:20 PM
mate, if i have the chance to towel you up.. i'll be there for sure :P

I perfer the term....Bent over and ROGERED :shock:

Terry.

Jarro
3rd March 2005, 03:30 PM
save it for game day 80"s boy :P

nudgee
3rd March 2005, 04:20 PM
Hey I wanna be in Jarros and G69s group on the day so I can watch G69 stiff his stick :shock:

Jarro
3rd March 2005, 04:28 PM
Hey I wanna be in Jarros and G69s group on the day so I can watch G69 stiff his stick :shock:

better talk to Tezza then mate :wink:

actually,that will work out great. You can mark 69'ers card.... 'cos i know you can count up to 13 :P :lol:

nudgee
3rd March 2005, 04:30 PM
he he he - we could make it an absolute sledge fest :D

nudgee
3rd March 2005, 04:40 PM
hey G69 - start with this one "trece es el numero de golpes que hize en el par 3" :wink:

Jarro
3rd March 2005, 04:43 PM
hey G69 - start with this one "trece es el numero de golpes que hize en el par 3" :wink:

c'mon mate .... you better fess up and tell us what the hell that means :roll:

send me a PM with some other beauties i can practise before the wynnum game :wink:

markTHEblake
3rd March 2005, 04:50 PM
"i had 13 strokes on a Par 3"

isn't "Par 3" the name of Jarros blow up doll?

nudgee
3rd March 2005, 04:50 PM
Ok it means - "13 is the number of hits I had at that par 3"

Jarro
3rd March 2005, 04:54 PM
Nudgee, how do you say :

"you got nuthin" "I think i saw it cross the hazard line here" and "pick it up now if you like" in Spanish :?:

Jarro
3rd March 2005, 04:56 PM
"i had 13 strokes on a Par 3"

isn't "Par 3" the name of Jarros blow up doll?

i'll have you know her name was Zelda ..... god rest her soul [-o<

nudgee
3rd March 2005, 05:01 PM
LMAO

Sorry Brisvegas we are off the topic. Jarro can you PM me on what you think of your wedges. I have a kook up on some Titty ported wedges (drilled holes) and I am thinking about it

BrisVegas
4th March 2005, 07:26 AM
LMAO

Sorry Brisvegas we are off the topic.

It happens. :wink: :lol: Until we get a chat room back again, threadjacking is the only way to get the banter happening...

AndyP
15th March 2005, 12:26 PM
Mr Vegas, could you please provide your thoughts on Barny Dunes, and tell us how your weekend went? Didn't happen to see Princess Mary while you were down there, did you?

BrisVegas
15th March 2005, 01:10 PM
Mr Vegas, could you please provide your thoughts on Barny Dunes, and tell us how your weekend went?

Thankyou, Mr P. Barny Dunes is a very worthwhile golfing destination.

The basics.... Par 71. It's $100 to play all day plus $5 for a trolley. $80 if you want to play just 18 holes. Count on a 1 hour drive from Launceston to Bridport. The club house is very nice with a good, albeit small, restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food is very good and they do quality local seafood. The beef burgers are pretty special too (The cows adjacent to the 3rd fairway looked to be in good health). There are 16 cabins which are very comfortable and airconditioned for $140 quad-share.

We played all day Saturday and Sunday. The first two rounds we played from the second-hardest tees. Sunday morning we played from the tips into a pretty decent (20-30kmh) Easterly. Then the last round, we played as a 3-man ambrose (shot 65) as we were pretty tired by then.

Scores...
BrisVegas(7) - 79, 80, 79 gross or 72, 73, 72 nett
Brooky17(17) - 87, 92, 89 gross or 70, 75, 72 nett
Uncle John(15) - 92, 91, 95 gross or 77, 76, 80 nett

Stats...
12/14, 10/14, 11/14 fairways
11, 10, 9 GIR
34, 36, 34 putts

I was very surprised at how well I played, considering it was a new course, with some quite tricky holes. Thankfully, I had a great weekend with driver and hit it long and straight for four rounds. I struggled with the short irons as usual and missed a bunch of greens from inside 100... :oops: The greens were quite large and very undulating. The pace got quicker as the day wore on and they were very fast in the afternoon rounds.

How does it rate.... I don't think it's Australia's best course. It's certainly very dramatic and is in a wonderful location. If played from the tips into a strong wind, it is a challenge. The forward tees are a doddle. The prevailling wind is a NW'erly, and the long par 4's and par 3's are designed to be played down wind. We copped an Easterly on sunday morning and the course was very tough. I hit 5 wood into 3 par 4's and two of the par 3's. With the prevailling wind, the course is pretty easy. Well, maybe not easy, but at least NOT long.

I'd rate Brookwater as a "better" course and clearly much tougher from the respective tees. Brookwater would be consistently tougher than BD. It's only when the wind occasionally turns around to the east that BD is tough. Even then, I'd rate Brookwater as 2-3 shots harder. The fairways at BD are wider, the greens are larger and very few greens have bunkering right at the green side. The targets are quite large. Sure, you can end up with some long undulating putts, but you'd have to be spraying it pretty bad to miss the fairways or greens. Many of the greens at Brookwater, by comparison, require you to approach from one side of the fairway and hit only a small portion of the green in order to prevent bouncing off into greenside traps.

It has to be top 10 or 20, but I can't see it knocking off some of the big names like RM, NSW etc.. Brooky17 has played Joondalup and Lady Bay and rates both of those as better. It's a great spot to visit and I'd thoroughly recommend it to any keen golfer with a "traditionalist" streak. There are no carts and no distance markers, no rakes and no water fountains...

On a slightly negative note... There is going to be a big problem at BD soon with weed control. Scotch thistle is rampant in the rough and is starting to invade the fairways. Other weeds and clover are already quite visible on the fairways. I think they need to devote a lot of time and money to get on top of the conditioning side of things if they want to impress the judges. It might be a great layout, but the conditioning lets it down somewhat.

Over all, I'd rate it a 8.5 out of 10. 8)

(I'll post hole-by-hole pics soon.)

damoocow
15th March 2005, 01:31 PM
Great review Dion !!! - no rakes and no carts - I love it !!

damoocow

andylo
15th March 2005, 02:41 PM
Wahahahaa.... love to join jarro and 69's group and have a great laugh :)

AndyP
15th March 2005, 02:48 PM
No rakes! I've never seen that before.

Don't think I would be too happy with no water fountains though. There were very few around Hills International, which had me a bit peeved.

Was it a nice part of the country, Dion? I still haven't been to Tassie. And how was the temperature down there at this time of the year?

Jarro
15th March 2005, 03:34 PM
Wahahahaa.... love to join jarro and 69's group and have a great laugh :)

won't happen A-Lo .. he's too scared to take me on :P

where's that damn chicken emoticon when you need it :roll:

BrisVegas
15th March 2005, 03:35 PM
Temps were remarkably hot for the time of year. I think it nudged 30 on Saturday. Sunday was still hot, but there was more cloud cover and a stronger breeze. I was very surprised that it was so hot. My last trip there (in August 04) was very cold and wet.

It's a beautiful part of Tassie. The beach is pristine and there are virtually no people around. Plenty of good seafood places and wineries in the region too. Do yourself a favour and go check it out. There are often cheap flight Brisbane to Launceston direct. You can't beat that. 8)

Eag's
15th March 2005, 07:49 PM
:lol: here we go again, this should be entertaining :wink:

BrisVegas
22nd November 2005, 08:05 AM
I'm heading back to Barnbougle Dunes again in early April. Has anyone else made it there lately? How's it looking?

Mr Vegas, could you please provide your thoughts on Barny Dunes, and tell us how your weekend went?

Thankyou, Mr P. Barny Dunes is a very worthwhile golfing destination.

The basics.... Par 71. It's $100 to play all day plus $5 for a trolley. $80 if you want to play just 18 holes. Count on a 1 hour drive from Launceston to Bridport. The club house is very nice with a good, albeit small, restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food is very good and they do quality local seafood. The beef burgers are pretty special too (The cows adjacent to the 3rd fairway looked to be in good health). There are 16 cabins which are very comfortable and airconditioned for $140 quad-share.

We played all day Saturday and Sunday. The first two rounds we played from the second-hardest tees. Sunday morning we played from the tips into a pretty decent (20-30kmh) Easterly. Then the last round, we played as a 3-man ambrose (shot 65) as we were pretty tired by then.

Scores...
BrisVegas(7) - 79, 80, 79 gross or 72, 73, 72 nett
Brooky17(17) - 87, 92, 89 gross or 70, 75, 72 nett
Uncle John(15) - 92, 91, 95 gross or 77, 76, 80 nett

Stats...
12/14, 10/14, 11/14 fairways
11, 10, 9 GIR
34, 36, 34 putts

I was very surprised at how well I played, considering it was a new course, with some quite tricky holes. Thankfully, I had a great weekend with driver and hit it long and straight for four rounds. I struggled with the short irons as usual and missed a bunch of greens from inside 100... :oops: The greens were quite large and very undulating. The pace got quicker as the day wore on and they were very fast in the afternoon rounds.

How does it rate.... I don't think it's Australia's best course. It's certainly very dramatic and is in a wonderful location. If played from the tips into a strong wind, it is a challenge. The forward tees are a doddle. The prevailling wind is a NW'erly, and the long par 4's and par 3's are designed to be played down wind. We copped an Easterly on sunday morning and the course was very tough. I hit 5 wood into 3 par 4's and two of the par 3's. With the prevailling wind, the course is pretty easy. Well, maybe not easy, but at least NOT long.

I'd rate Brookwater as a "better" course and clearly much tougher from the respective tees. Brookwater would be consistently tougher than BD. It's only when the wind occasionally turns around to the east that BD is tough. Even then, I'd rate Brookwater as 2-3 shots harder. The fairways at BD are wider, the greens are larger and very few greens have bunkering right at the green side. The targets are quite large. Sure, you can end up with some long undulating putts, but you'd have to be spraying it pretty bad to miss the fairways or greens. Many of the greens at Brookwater, by comparison, require you to approach from one side of the fairway and hit only a small portion of the green in order to prevent bouncing off into greenside traps.

It has to be top 10 or 20, but I can't see it knocking off some of the big names like RM, NSW etc.. Brooky17 has played Joondalup and Lady Bay and rates both of those as better. It's a great spot to visit and I'd thoroughly recommend it to any keen golfer with a "traditionalist" streak. There are no carts and no distance markers, no rakes and no water fountains...

On a slightly negative note... There is going to be a big problem at BD soon with weed control. Scotch thistle is rampant in the rough and is starting to invade the fairways. Other weeds and clover are already quite visible on the fairways. I think they need to devote a lot of time and money to get on top of the conditioning side of things if they want to impress the judges. It might be a great layout, but the conditioning lets it down somewhat.

Over all, I'd rate it a 8.5 out of 10. 8)

(I'll post hole-by-hole pics soon.)

BrisVegas
15th February 2007, 01:34 PM
I'm heading back to Barny Dunes in early March. Jetstar flights were $130 return to launceston. Couldn't resist another dig on one of the best links courses I've ever played!

It's $88 now for a round or $110 for all day play. For anyone interested, the course runs a bus pickup service from Launceston Airport. The on-dunes cabins are fantastic and the clubhouse restaurant does great food for Brekky, lunch and dinner.

Jarro
15th February 2007, 01:37 PM
Sounds like a fantastic trip Dion.

Hope you have a great time down there 8)

AndyP
15th February 2007, 01:57 PM
I really want to go down there and play it, and combine it with the Hawks playing one of there few matches in Launceston.
Who knows when it will happen though. :(

Have fun.

andylo
15th February 2007, 04:01 PM
Dion, just would like to know how much it cost you altogether?

marcel
15th February 2007, 05:46 PM
I'm heading back to Barny Dunes in early March. Jetstar flights were $130 return to launceston. Couldn't resist another dig on one of the best links courses I've ever played!

It's $88 now for a round or $110 for all day play. For anyone interested, the course runs a bus pickup service from Launceston Airport. The on-dunes cabins are fantastic and the clubhouse restaurant does great food for Brekky, lunch and dinner.

I'll be there for a few days in march also, what are your dates.

Haven't tried their bus, usually hire a car for the few days, gives you the convenience of looking around Bridport or trying the eating spots there for a change.

BrisVegas
15th February 2007, 07:16 PM
At this stage I think it will be Thur 8th Mar that I get up there. I'll be in Launceston Wed night thru Monday night.

When are you going?

BrisVegas
15th February 2007, 07:18 PM
Dion, just would like to know how much it cost you altogether?

All the prices are on the website Andy. www.barnbougledunes.com.au The airfares we got were $130 each return.

marcel
15th February 2007, 07:45 PM
At this stage I think it will be Thur 8th Mar that I get up there. I'll be in Launceston Wed night thru Monday night.

When are you going?

Fly in Sun arvo 11/3, leave Wed arvo 14/3. Staying on-course.

BrisVegas
15th February 2007, 09:13 PM
Shame I won't be able to catch up with you, but I'll leave a few birdies out there for ya. The cabins are great, you'll enjoy that. I'm just doing a day trip this time. My wife's got family in Launceston, which is only an hour away.

marcel
15th February 2007, 09:53 PM
[QUOTE=BrisVegas;143206] I'm just doing a day trip this time. QUOTE]

This will be my third trip there, I wouldn't be able to cope with going there and only playing for 1 day, but hey, it's better than no days.

BrisVegas
16th February 2007, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=BrisVegas;143206] I'm just doing a day trip this time. QUOTE]

This will be my third trip there, I wouldn't be able to cope with going there and only playing for 1 day, but hey, it's better than no days.
Agreed! If it was just me, I would stay there the whole time, but this time around my wife and daughter are coming... 36 holes in a day is all I can get away with this time. I played 72 holes last time I was there on a weekend. I LOVE the place!

AndyP
16th February 2007, 08:46 AM
BV, any chance you could sneak away to play Tasmania GC and/or Royal Hobart too? ;)

andylo
16th February 2007, 09:17 AM
All the prices are on the website Andy. www.barnbougledunes.com.au The airfares we got were $130 each return.

Yeah I saw those prices. But I like to know how much it cost you at the end of the trip :)

BrisVegas
16th February 2007, 09:53 AM
none of your business.

BrisVegas
16th February 2007, 09:55 AM
BV, any chance you could sneak away to play Tasmania GC and/or Royal Hobart too? ;)

I already played Tasmania. Wife's uncle is a member at Launceston, so will definitely get a game in there too. It's a very nice course. Think Middle Ridge with water! Seriously, I could live down there...:-o

andylo
16th February 2007, 09:55 AM
Fine! Didn't thought I will offended you for a such simple question. Anyway...

BrisVegas
16th February 2007, 10:02 AM
Fine! Didn't thought I will offended you for a such simple question. Anyway...

Just because you asked a question doesn't mean I have to answer you. I'm still not sure what you wanna know anyway? As I said, the flights are $130 and golf is $110.... What else do you want to know? Do you want an excel spreadsheet breakdown of what I spend on food, fuel, entertainment?? :-s

AndyP
16th February 2007, 10:03 AM
I already played Tasmania. Wife's uncle is a member at Launceston, so will definitely get a game in there too. It's a very nice course. Think Middle Ridge with water! Seriously, I could live down there...:-o
I seem to recall Ulverstone sneaking onto a top 100 list at some stage too.
The cold and rain doesn't bother you?

I don't understand A-Lo's line of questioning either.

BrisVegas
16th February 2007, 10:04 AM
I grew up in Toowoomba Andy... And besides, I could retire at 35 in Tassie...

PeteyD
16th February 2007, 10:05 AM
He wants to know how much the oysters kilpatrick are.

As I am older than 35 I will have to make it 40 to retire in Tasmania.

andylo
16th February 2007, 10:09 AM
Its ok that if you think its a privacy issue and you don't feel like answer me, but I guess there're better/polite way to refuse to anwser instead of "none of your business".

I know its $240 on paper (golf and flight) but I was thinking it would be nice to roughly know how much more I need to spend beside that $240. I don't need a break down of the cost. It just some simple reference for myself to plan my next golf trip better for 2008.

It doesn't really matter anyway, I got put off already.

I was always respect you as a well manner person. If I have offended you in anyway I do not know I am sorry.

BrisVegas
16th February 2007, 10:11 AM
oh. Your question "sounded" rude and intrusive. So I blew you off, as is my right. Put it down to a misunderstanding/language issue. sorry if I offended.

BrisVegas
16th February 2007, 10:13 AM
How much more do you need to budget for a trip andy??? I dunno.... honestly it comes down to how much you like to spend on stuff like food, drinks, souvenirs, etc etc.... I'm cheap, so I would probably spend less than most on such things.

andylo
16th February 2007, 10:19 AM
If its just an misunderstanding then I believe we could assume nothing has
happen and lets move on.

marcel
16th February 2007, 10:25 AM
Brisvegas,,
if you do a spreadsheet, no hiding the column that shows the cost of lost golf balls.

Jono
17th February 2007, 10:26 AM
I know its $240 on paper (golf and flight) but I was thinking it would be nice to roughly know how much more I need to spend beside that $240. I don't need a break down of the cost. It just some simple reference for myself to plan my next golf trip better for 2008.

Alo, you wouldn't fly there anyway. You'd probably drive down, then swim with your golf clubs on your back. ;)

Jono
17th February 2007, 10:43 AM
Hey G69 ... go back to the first page of this thread and read some of the sledging you got from Jarro ... :lol:

BrisVegas
22nd February 2007, 01:12 PM
I got a tee time on Thursday 8th March at 7:50am with room for two more...

BrisVegas
7th March 2007, 02:55 PM
I got a tee time on Thursday 8th March at 7:50am with room for two more...

I'm outta here! :-D Play nicely while i'm gone. :roll:

dc68
7th March 2007, 03:10 PM
Have fun............................................... bastardovich

Courty
8th March 2007, 09:26 PM
Awesome shooting, Go Dion!

BrisVegas
13th March 2007, 09:03 AM
hey I'm back! Did ya miss me? No?

yeah, as dicky said... had a nice 71 in the morning round on Thurs. Hit the ball really well and actually left a few decent birdie chances out there. Found it a lot easier playing there again, knowing where and where not to hit it. The wind was a steady 20-25 knott (2-3 clubs) coming from the NW in the morning, but it swung around a lot in the afternoon and was probably a southerly for most of it. The long holes (5,6,8,9,10,11,14) are really setup for a NW-erly wind. Played in the arvo with a couple of hackers and it was pretty slow. Wasn't taking it too seriously, but had 79.

They've really gotten on top of the scotch thistle since I was there 2 years ago. Considering the little rain they've had in the area, the course was in very good nic. They were watering fairways and greens all day and there was a small army of guys with backpack sprayers going after the weeds etc...

It'll be interesting to see if they go ahead with the second course down beyond the inlet on 15. The dunes seem to go forever, so there's plenty of room for it. not sure if they'd relocate the current clubhouse or build a much larger one. the existing clubhouse is barely big enough to cater for the lunch and dinner traffic. The course would need to be re-routed to be an out and back design, which could work well. 14 could work as a finishing hole, or they could build something new which plays around/over the inlet...

Can't wait to play there again. I took Sandy there yesterday for lunch and she was really impressed. she understands what I've been raving about now. It's a great spot for a group of guys to go and relax with quality golf and food etc..

BrisVegas
13th March 2007, 09:05 PM
Here are a few pics from last week...

1st tee, with accommodation shacks behind.
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2476/img5325ll1.th.jpg (http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5325ll1.jpg)

Approach to #4 (when it's calm, it's a 215m carry over the dune and roll onto the green. It was a lay up both times this trip.)
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/75/img5328nn2.th.jpg (http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5328nn2.jpg)

5th tee (par 3, 190m par 3 over dunes, but can run it in from front left)
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4220/img5331pa9.th.jpg (http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5331pa9.jpg)

7th green (par 3, <100m, plays straight back into prevailing NW wind. Left, long and right are absolutely dead.)
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/5310/img5332dl5.th.jpg (http://img172.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5332dl5.jpg)

8th tee (split fairway, Index 1 hole, narrow neck and slope 40-60m short of green.)
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4561/img5333qi6.th.jpg (http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5333qi6.jpg)

10th tee (long, open par 4 with elevated green, massive false front and several tiers to the green)
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/6866/img5335gd4.th.jpg (http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5335gd4.jpg)

11th hole. (Mayor's office! shortish par 5)
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/816/img5336yw4.th.jpg (http://img257.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5336yw4.jpg)

12th tee (driveable par 4 risk/reward. The line is left of middle bunker, over sprinkler. feeds back to green. Right is dead)
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/2149/img5337xj0.th.jpg (http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5337xj0.jpg)

13th tee (longish par 3, with huge green. pics don't show how big the undulations are!)
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/3808/img5339ew4.th.jpg (http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5339ew4.jpg)

14th tee (long par 5, but downwind can be shortened by driving over the right traps. It's a double-dogleg if you follow the fairway)
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9489/img5340qq0.th.jpg (http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5340qq0.jpg)

15th tee (mid-length par 4, back into the wind typically, with bunkers dividing fiarway. Safe shot leaves longer approach. Shortcut flirts with water!)
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/7019/img5341uv9.th.jpg (http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5341uv9.jpg)

16th tee (par 3, back into the wind, elevated tee shot. Blind shot from back tees )
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8995/img5344tk2.th.jpg (http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5344tk2.jpg)

17th tee (long par 4, dogleg right along water. Bunkers force you to play left. Impossible to fly the traps in typical NW winds, Green has false sides)
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/5310/img5345tg6.th.jpg (http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5345tg6.jpg)

18th tee (fairly straight forward, allow for left to right slope and avoid the beach. Good view of clubhouse site)
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/424/img5346ss8.th.jpg (http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5346ss8.jpg)

Clubhouse. Small, but has a nice atmosphere. Great food and bar.
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/103/img5382gd7.th.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5382gd7.jpg)

BrisVegas
13th March 2007, 09:06 PM
what post is complete without a gratuitous toddler pic! Meghan and me on the observation deck behind the 18th green.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7571/img5381lu6.th.jpg (http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5381lu6.jpg)

Eag's
13th March 2007, 09:19 PM
Wow Dion, I can see why you love the joint so much :)
There looks to be a few intimidating tee shots on some holes :shock:
It also looked like you had the place to yourself ;)

BrisVegas
13th March 2007, 09:20 PM
we were first group out at 7:50am on Thurs. Took our time and plenty of pics on the way and we were back in the clubhouse eating lunch at 11:30.

AndyP
13th March 2007, 09:23 PM
Stop it BV. You're killing me. I must get there.

BrisVegas
13th March 2007, 09:25 PM
I'm gonna head back again, either late this year or early next once bub #2 is settled in. Sandra was quite impressed with the place and can see why I'm so obsessed with it. Cheap flights on jetstar, $25 courtesy bus direct from Launceston to the course, on-course cabins, good cheap food.. what else could you want???

Moe Norman
13th March 2007, 09:30 PM
you shot 71 with half a set of clubs?

or is that just a REALLY small bag :)

BrisVegas
13th March 2007, 09:31 PM
14 clubs. teeny bag.

Grunt
14th March 2007, 05:59 AM
Great pics BV, guess I will have to make a trip down to tassie now, and soon.

Jono
14th March 2007, 06:02 AM
Wow. The course looks spectacular. Hope I can go down and play it some time this year ...

Jarro
14th March 2007, 06:18 AM
nice pics Dion :)

you're a lucky man

PeteyD
14th March 2007, 06:26 AM
That 8th Tee shot is a nasty bit of work. Between this and the Cypress thread on that other forum there is some inspiration for great golf courses.

goughy
14th March 2007, 07:26 AM
Seems the makings for an ozgolf road trip here.

marcel
14th March 2007, 08:45 PM
Seems the makings for an ozgolf road trip here.

Get someone from Sydney to organise it, should make it by 2012, at least the other course will be open.
I just finished my 3rd visit there today, 3 days of little or light wind. Course has really bedded in well since I was there a year ago. The area immediately adjacent was once swamp so I don't think water is a problem for them.
Seems to be doing good numbers, villas (there are 22 of them) were booked out each night of our stay. Plenty of players even into the afternoons. Interesting demographics, majority of people we saw were retired (I'm guessing, that age anyway) couples, often in groups of 6 or 8.

Moe Norman
14th March 2007, 09:49 PM
Marcel - i have two uncles in their late 40's early 50's who get there 4 to 5 times a year. Both in separate groups of about 8.

I would imagine there would be many people doing the above who have the time and money to do so.

marcel
14th March 2007, 10:13 PM
Marcel - i have two uncles in their late 40's early 50's who get there 4 to 5 times a year. Both in separate groups of about 8.

I would imagine there would be many people doing the above who have the time and money to do so.

Dear nephew..........these groups I'd put at about the 55 - 60 bracket. MUCH older than me.

BrisVegas
16th March 2007, 09:17 PM
It's only been a week since I was there and I'm already trying to think how I can get back again!

Eag's
16th March 2007, 09:35 PM
Dion, there was a review of Barnbougle Dunes in the latest Golf World.
They are ratting it in the top 50 course in the world :shock:
Sounds like a course all of us should visit one day :smt023

marcel
16th March 2007, 09:42 PM
Sounds like a course all of us should visit one day :smt023

replace 'should' with 'must' and you're spot on

Courty
16th March 2007, 10:28 PM
2008 Champs venue? :shock:

shavey
17th March 2007, 11:30 AM
Appreciated the overview BV.

I was jealous after your last review... you don't want to ask how I am feeling now..

Do you think the Spirit of Tassie picks up hitchhickers? ;)

Jono
18th March 2007, 08:46 AM
Let's do it. 8)

terryand
18th March 2007, 11:18 AM
I'll have to check to see if there is a direct flight from Moranbah :?

Terry.

AndyP
18th March 2007, 11:41 AM
I'm out. :roll:

Moe Norman
18th March 2007, 11:49 AM
we make everyone else travel each year - i wouldn't have a problem with it.

probably work out cheaper for the Vic and NSW blokes.

terryand
18th March 2007, 11:51 AM
we make everyone else travel each year - i wouldn't have a problem with it.

probably work out cheaper for the Vic and NSW blokes.

I guess cause there is power in numbers :lol:

Terry.

BrisVegas
18th March 2007, 11:56 AM
It's a great place for a trip, but I don't think it would suit for the champs. There isn't enough accommodation on site, and they'd need confirmed deposits 6 months in advance given the popularity of the place. Plus, the cost would be pushing $500-600 depending on flights... Out of most people's reach.

I think Barnbougle is a ripper of a spot for a weekend away with 4,8,12 mates etc as there is no need to leave the place. I'm planning to head back late 2007 or early 2008, if anyone wants to join me.

goughy
18th March 2007, 12:29 PM
Considering I barely make any ozgolf days in seq, let alone the champs I could call myself out for an interstate champs. Not that I don't think that would be a good idea.

Jono
24th March 2007, 05:34 AM
I'm planning to head back late 2007 or early 2008, if anyone wants to join me.

If it's on a weekend, I'm in. 8)