PDA

View Full Version : Hitting a low cut

Peter
11th January 2010, 09:06 AM
I often find myself in positions where a low, left to right shot would be ideal and unfortunately it is one that I have mixed success with. My bad shots either (a) go too high too quickly or (b) don't start far enough left.

How do you play this shot? How low can you keep it and how far does it go?

Daves
11th January 2010, 09:09 AM
In my experience you need to shallow out your swing to keep them low, take the club straight back low and deep almost like a putter. Any steepness in the angle of attack and they are going up high.

Moe Norman
11th January 2010, 09:12 AM
I find it one of the hardest shots to hit with an iron.

I put my hands way in front of the ball, open my stance up, direct the club face at the line I want the ball to start on and then take my swing way outside.

I have mixed results, sometimes the ball just goes straight and sometimes I hit down on it too much and it gets up airborne too early and hits whatever I'm trying to avoid.

henno
11th January 2010, 09:21 AM
Nudgee hits a glorious low cut. Maybe he'll jump in and dish out a few nuggets of wisdom about how he does it.

3oneday
11th January 2010, 09:22 AM
Ask a pro.

Jarro
11th January 2010, 09:24 AM
Nudgee hits a glorious low cut. Maybe he'll jump in and dish out a few nuggets of wisdom about how he does it.

He hit a pearler on the 11th yesterday.

He narrowed his stance, slightly shortened his backswing and follow-through, and just punched down on the ball (which was slightly further back in his stance)

Webster
11th January 2010, 09:27 AM
Peter, take more club (at least 1 more), 3/4 swing, open the stance a little with the clubface pointing at the target and hang on a bit harder with the left hand. It needs a bit of practice but should not be too difficult. Balance and tempo are crucial when attempting these sorts of shots.

Minor_Threat
11th January 2010, 09:29 AM
I find this shot quite easy to hit.

1. The ball wants to go high so go back a few clubs in loft.
2. Play the ball back in stance, for me it it basically on back foot.
3. Open stance, aim club at target
4. Hit the ball and hold on ie: no release of club

It is something that requires practise to know what height each club goes and how far you can move the ball with each club.

bebo
11th January 2010, 10:26 AM
what post #5

+1

Eag's
11th January 2010, 10:41 AM
This is one shot I am hopeless at as well, in fact I can't hit any type of cut.

Moe Norman
11th January 2010, 10:48 AM
I hear that after a few rums you have a pretty good uppercut Eagsy :)

Eag's
11th January 2010, 10:49 AM
I hear that after a few rums you have a pretty good uppercut Eagsy :)

Not me mate I am a man of peace these days :smt083

Hamo84
11th January 2010, 11:17 AM

It is something that requires practise to know what height each club goes and how far you can move the ball with each club.
that works for me 2

goughy
11th January 2010, 12:55 PM
I often find myself in positions where a low, left to right shot would be ideal and unfortunately it is one that I have mixed success with. My bad shots either (a) go too high too quickly or (b) don't start far enough left.

Do what I did. Bought a ping eye2 1 iron. You could roll a cut shot along tha ground with that thing!

kpac
11th January 2010, 01:34 PM
Low - left to right = every shot i hit just about :(

razaar
11th January 2010, 01:48 PM
To hit it low the shaft has to be inclined forwards ie hands well in front of the ball at impact to reduce loft. The cut has the face open to the swing path at impact. Allowing the arms to separate a bit past impact will keep the face open and playing the ball back in your stance will assist to reduce loft. The key to this shot for me is to stay centred through the shot if the ball is played back of centre and keep the left arm ahead of the right arm past impact.

matty
11th January 2010, 04:29 PM
I won't try to explain what I do but post 8 and 17 would be it, if I had the confidence and ability to tell someone. Feels good when a specialty shot comes off.

virge666
11th January 2010, 04:30 PM
Jack and MT have it for mine... ball has to be back and the stance has to be open.

Then just swing normally... it should naturally cut. Keep your upper body over the ball - don't move your weight backwards at all.

Should be one of the easiest shots in the game ...

TheNuclearOne
11th January 2010, 06:23 PM

Nice one.

markTHEblake
11th January 2010, 08:40 PM
Trevino has a great method of hitting low fades, and he is one of the best exponents of it ever.

The major thing is to keep the lower body out of it, and the key way he does that is by standing much closer to the ball. The rest is most of what the others above have said. Try it all and used what works best.

Dont worry, you wont shank it. Well unless you already do that a lot...

henno
11th January 2010, 08:46 PM
Dont worry, you wont shank it. Well unless you already do that a lot...

Noted. Low cuts are not for me. :razz:

razaar
11th January 2010, 08:53 PM
Henno

Did you watch any of the coverage at Kapalua? Matt Kuchar was displaying a henno swing....got the job done for him. There is hope yet mate.:wink:

henno
11th January 2010, 09:13 PM
Flat is the new stack-n-tilt! :razz:

PeteyD
12th January 2010, 07:26 AM
Stack-n-tilt implies going up. Think we should just call you the helicoptor.

Iain
12th January 2010, 07:42 AM
Why the stigma with a flat swing, is henno's swing really that flat, or is it just the bad ones that people are concentrating on?

Moe Norman
12th January 2010, 07:46 AM
lets just say he could play off his knees and not alter his swing plane a great deal

PeteyD
12th January 2010, 07:49 AM
When Haysey is swinging you have to duck. With Henno swinging you need a box.

and the stigma is his own creation. It gets the job done.

Iain
12th January 2010, 07:52 AM
I'll have to pay attention next time I play with Henno....

razaar
12th January 2010, 08:23 AM
Ian

It is unusual to see a swing with the arm plane under the shoulder plane...but then henno is different.:wink:

Hux
12th January 2010, 06:24 PM
I've played with the Henno a couple of times recently and the most remarkable difference I have seen is not a plane change but a reduction in the backswing. He now gets back onto the ball quite consistently - less moving parts from the superflat much in motion swing.
In fact for a fairly abbreviated swing he is still getting it out there pretty well :-)

Tittyman
12th January 2010, 11:42 PM

S6iBAul2-Qs
4min mark onwards.

That's what she said.

Johnny Canuck
13th January 2010, 12:17 AM
Stack-n-tilt implies going up. Think we should just call you the helicoptor.

Some gold in this thread at Henno's expense.

You just missed the mark Petey, The Hennocopter it is.

Eag's
13th January 2010, 12:46 AM
I've played with the Henno a couple of times recently and the most remarkable difference I have seen is not a plane change but a reduction in the backswing. He now gets back onto the ball quite consistently - less moving parts from the superflat much in motion swing.
In fact for a fairly abbreviated swing he is still getting it out there pretty well :-)

Have to agree Hux, I would even go as far as saying his swing is not as flat as it was months ago. We could all hit it as far as him if we had arms that are five foot long ;)

matty
13th January 2010, 05:47 AM
what the **** is going on with your avatar titty man. Not the best thing to see first thing in the morning!

henno
13th January 2010, 07:25 AM
The Hennocopter it is.

Hahaha! I like it. :razz:

just
13th January 2010, 08:16 AM
Henno
I've found a hat for you:
http://pix.auctiva.com/pix/10/00/06/KIDS_COPTER_HAT.JPG

mike
14th January 2010, 08:53 PM
Open stance. Open clubface. Ball in line with the back foot. Swing smooth. Works most of the time. Always make good contact but mis-hits go too high.

henno
14th January 2010, 09:06 PM
I tried this twice today. I hit two shanks. It doesn't suit the Hennocopter. I'll stick with low draws and high cuts for now. :-)

markTHEblake
14th January 2010, 09:16 PM
a shank is a low left to right shot. just aim further left

Daves
14th January 2010, 09:19 PM
So do you sell your irons as new henno?:lol:

henno
14th January 2010, 09:21 PM
There's a disclaimer about hosel wear. I might as well keep the plastic on the faces.

Yossarian
14th January 2010, 09:24 PM
Everytime I look at this thread I see

hitting a low ****

and think it is another slanging match.

Courty
14th January 2010, 09:39 PM
I had to hit one of these today. I kept it low but couldn't make it cut. I guess my handicap isn't low enough to get cut spin out of wet rough. ;)

Veefore
20th January 2010, 09:08 PM
A Div1 Pennant player from Royal Perth Golf Club taught me how to play this shot successfully.
First step is to align your body about 50% further left than you intend to start the ball, with the ball in the centre or very slightly back of centre of your stance. This is because with the club face open the ball will go right immediately. (It is a myth that the ball will start on the swing path line)

Next, set the club face open, approximately facing the target you are trying to get the ball to and address the ball with the bottom of the club face level with or just slightly below the equator of the ball.
When you swing, try to hit the ball as low on the face of the club as you can, like a thin shot. Imagine trying to hit the ball with the second or third groove from the bottom.

If you do this, the ball will come out low and hot and you will also lose less of the distance that you would normally give up by opening the face and increasing the loft.

The way that doesn't work very well is moving the ball way back in your stance and hitting down on it. When you do that you are liable to pound it into the ground losing all distance and side spin or pop it up in the air, especially if you catch a bit of turf or sand behind the ball. It is impossible to really maintain any control over the shot. You also reduce the effective bottom of the swing arc to a minuscule one greatly increasing the precision required. The other thing that can go wrong is a straight shank.

ParMaster
20th January 2010, 09:39 PM
This is my 'stock shot' and I find it so easy to hit.

What I do is just aim left, swing outside the line and have a steep angle of attack coming back down on the ball, in a sort of chopping action. EZPZ.

zigwah
21st January 2010, 05:37 PM
it easy as boys, first move forward always forward, back and across roll your wrists over the ball keeping running on the ground ;)

TheNuclearOne
21st January 2010, 10:17 PM
Sounds a bit like the inswinging leg cutter Zig!

razaar
23rd January 2010, 09:17 AM
A sure fire way to hit the ball low is to catch it low on the face so that the leading edge makes contact under the equator of the ball. This prevents the ball from running up the face (because part of the ball is caught under the leading edge); it is a very useful thing to know if you ever want to hit a low shot with no spin, the aim being to hit the top 90% of the ball.

PeteyD
23rd January 2010, 09:19 AM
Use a putter.

razaar
23rd January 2010, 09:23 AM
or use a belly putter.:mrgreen:

virge666
29th January 2010, 10:58 PM
or a 3 iron . . .