PDA

View Full Version : Americans & their gun obsession

TheTrueReview
10th January 2010, 10:37 AM
Just thought I'd post a thread of a US golf forum where they're waxing lyrical about their guns.

http://www.shottalk.com/forum/no-golf-you/29512-another-gun-thread-why-not-2.html#post343242

One of the posters says, "I love guns. I'm all for them and I own what could be considered an arsenal."

Another poster talks about the gun his girlfriend carries, "..since she's so small she likes to carry the .380 better, and even in those tight girly jeans and a tank top, you can't even tell she's got a gun on her. Sexyyyyy."

I couldn't think of anything worse than living amongst gun obsessed loons. Well ... perhaps golfing with one.

Courty
10th January 2010, 10:54 AM
I couldn't think of anything worse than living amongst gun obsessed loons.

+1000

PeteyD
10th January 2010, 10:55 AM
Is it any worse than car obsessed loons that kill people on the roads?

Peter
10th January 2010, 11:03 AM
Not quite as bad PeteyD.

The car obsessed loons are a good chance of killing you or I - the gun obsessed loons are much more likely to kill themselves (or a family member).

virge666
10th January 2010, 11:35 AM
I couldn't think of anything worse than living amongst gun obsessed loons. Well ... perhaps golfing with one.

I disagree, I like those guys - they are a lot of fun and none of them ever get hurt. You have not lived unless you have been target shooting on the back of a jeep with a M-60. (That is the big gun they used on the side of helicopters in Vietnam)

It is the idiots that leave them loaded in homes that shit me to tears. There is a great doco on Foxtel at present on the the gun obsessed seppos. Most of them get shot with their own guns...

Weird huh.

And Yes, I own a few guns and handguns. Not quite sure about them being sexy with some tight jeans... ;)

Courty
10th January 2010, 11:36 AM

And Yes, I own a few guns and handguns.

TTR vs. Virge666 grudge match. ;)

TheTrueReview
10th January 2010, 11:41 AM
TTR vs. Virge666 grudge match. ;)

Dunno. Virge may turn up packing heat. :smt119

Yossarian
10th January 2010, 11:42 AM
Guns don't kill people. Video games do.

razaar
10th January 2010, 11:43 AM
People collect all sorts of things - guns, rifles, knives, golf clubs. Have no issue with any of it if it is within the law. America can sort its own problems out as it does everybody elses.

Am a closet gun freak myself or was when we lived at the top end.

TheTrueReview
10th January 2010, 11:54 AM
Well to put my OP in perspective a bit. As a teenager, I did a lot of sport shooting & was trained properly about handling weapons. I was initially against the Howard government gun laws & the buy back but after I saw the illegal arsenals being handed in during the amnesty buy back period (including submachine guns & grenades) my views turned around.

If I lived in South Africa, I'd have no qualms about owning/carrying a pistol. The U.S. is a different kettle of fish. When you read the flimsy reasons why they want to carry guns (eg. blaming police, protecting against imagined home invasions) you see a person who is just itching to use it at some stage, to justify his views.

Virge is right. Many of them manage to shoot themselves. The stats also show that their loved one also gets it during a domestic.

virge666
10th January 2010, 03:05 PM
Virge is right. Many of them manage to shoot themselves. The stats also show that their loved one also gets it during a domestic.

That buy back was sensational, I was handing in the 3 SKS rifles I bought for $80 and getting $450 a piece back... but to see what was being handed in... AMAZING, I didn't see that kind of hardware in the military - let alone in my own country.

Couldn't agree more with the above stat and the fact that shooting a handgun is bloody difficult, if you ever get the chance try and shoot a target 20m away with a handgun single handedly. $50 says you will miss.

Even properly trained it is bloody hard.

Yossarian
10th January 2010, 03:12 PM
The first gun I ever shot was the aus-steyr as a 15 year old cadet. I thought it was point and shoot.

Suffice to say as virge says if you can hit something 20m away you are doing pretty well.

virge666
10th January 2010, 03:21 PM
The first gun I ever shot was the aus-steyr as a 15 year old cadet. I thought it was point and shoot.

Suffice to say as virge says if you can hit something 20m away you are doing pretty well.

Rifles are a piece of piss, 2 days training and I can have you dropping goats at 200m, handguns are a whole different kettle of fish.

I have trained on more handguns than I care to mention, and I still get beaten by a 63 year old at my local gun club who can put a round through a tin can at 50m with a standard berretta 9mm pistol.

A rifle is attached and anchored to your body, a pistol is anchored by your wrist... and held out in way in front of you. Add a bit of pressure and you would be lucky to hit a door let alone a person. Keep that in mind when you expect the police to shoot someone in the leg.

That is why handguns are useless for protection, Shotguns and AK-47's, for when you absolutley, positively have to kill every mother-****er in the room.

Tomo
10th January 2010, 03:24 PM
Virge my 14 year old daughter can out shoot 90% of the NSW Police force....one handed.

She is current U16 National air pistol champion. And 2nd in 22 cailbre Sport Pistol.

Yes we have handguns in the house, but only I know where the key to the safe is.

No-one has been the victim of a crime in NSW involving someone using a legally owned target pistol.

Many have by clowns shooting ganster style with their illegal Glocks and 9mm's.

virge666
10th January 2010, 03:29 PM
Virge my 14 year old daughter can out shoot 90% of the NSW Police force....one handed.

Not to take anthing away from your daughter... Massive Kudos, but, No she can't. Air and 22 are lighter, usually modded heavily and have no kick.

Give her a mass produced 9mm Glock and see how she handles the extra weight and trigger pull.

But again - Massive kudo's. Respect for what these toys can do if half the education done.

Yossarian
10th January 2010, 03:30 PM
Rifles are a piece of piss, 2 days training and I can have you dropping goats at 200m, handguns are a whole different kettle of fish.

I have trained on more handguns than I care to mention, and I still get beaten by a 63 year old at my local gun club who can put a round through a tin can at 50m with a standard berretta 9mm pistol.

A rifle is attached and anchored to your body, a pistol is anchored by your wrist... and held out in way in front of you. Add a bit of pressure and you would be lucky to hit a door let alone a person. Keep that in mind when you expect the police to shoot someone in the leg.

That is why handguns are useless for protection, Shotguns and AK-47's, for when you absolutley, positively have to kill every mother-****er in the room.

Yeah the air force guys gave me some tips but i think it was my scrawny 15 year old body that was hurting the results.

Tomo
10th January 2010, 03:36 PM
Not to take anthing away from your daughter... Massive Kudos, but, No she can't. Air and 22 are lighter, usually modded heavily and have no kick.

Give her a mass produced 9mm Glock and see how she handles the extra weight and trigger pull.

But again - Massive kudo's. Respect for what these toys can do if half the education done.

She has fired a 38 and a 32. Results were outstanding.

PeteyD
10th January 2010, 03:41 PM
I love the way everyone thinks it is only in the US that there is these gun obsessed peeps. Take a look at some other nations - in Africa (scary crap) and even Finland.

I consider us lucky to not live in a gun culture, although saying that I was taught how to use them from a young age etc etc.

Yossarian
10th January 2010, 03:55 PM
In soviet russia gun fires you!

PeteyD
10th January 2010, 04:03 PM
Some interesting statistics, if they are valid.

http://www.allcountries.org/gun_ownership_rates.html

http://www.allcountries.org/gun_deaths_by_country.html

and my favourite t-shirt (from happy gilmore)
http://rlv.zcache.com/happy_gilmore_guns_dont_kill_tshirt-p2354834932472091983gtu_210.jpg

TheTrueReview
10th January 2010, 04:17 PM
Some interesting statistics, if they are valid.

Precisely.

I'd hate to try and imagine the amount of illegal weapons there'd be within the U.S. As I said earlier, the gun buy back shocked me & we don't have the same gun culture or anywhere near the proportion of survivalist, central government hating loons that the U.S. has. Even if we did, our survivalist loons probably only have bread & butter knives to arm themselves with.

Not trying to make this the longest post in history but I just saw another gun-nut post on that U.S. golf thread. Couldn't resist reproducing it in part.

"Got my Holster Today.

I ordered it on Christmas day ... The holster itself is well made. ... can adjust the straps to make it sit lower/higher to the waistline. It concealed much better when I lowered it down as low as it could go. My main jeans ... stretched out perfectly to accommodate the holster and weapon.

The girlfriend was upstairs watching TV when I got the holster, and was messing with it. She came into the kitchen while I was wearing holster and gun, and unloading the dishwasher, ... and she was none the wiser until I told her I was wearing.

... Any bulges that may be created will just be taken as something in my hip pocket like keys or a wallet or cell phone. I will play around with it some more, but I think I should be set."

That guy's girlfriend should get the f**k out of there.

markTHEblake
10th January 2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah the air force guys gave me some tips but i think it was my scrawny 15 year old body that was hurting the results.

i can relate to that. As a 60kg chocko i once tried to fire off an entire mag from an M16, from a half kneeling position. I think about the 8th round if that put me on my bum. Scary moment actually cos it wasnt on a controlled range either, fortunately i didnt keep firing as i was going over as i imagine some might have :-)

Stupid instructor could have given me more tips on how to anchor myself. He was a 110 kg maori, he wouldnt have lost balance on one leg.

virge666
10th January 2010, 05:07 PM
She came into the kitchen while I was wearing holster and gun, and unloading the dishwasher

What - You've never done that ?

I love Seppo's, they are truly awesome.

PeteyD
10th January 2010, 06:29 PM
I assume she was unloading the dishwasher. If he was I can understand a need to wear a gun to emphasise his apparent manlyness.

Why should his gf bugger off? Pretty sure there may have been some sharp knives in the dishwasher.

TheTrueReview
10th January 2010, 06:54 PM
Why should his gf bugger off? ...

I can see her ending up with a new breathing hole in the middle of her forehead, courtesy of boyfriend adjusting his holster. :wink:

Scoot
10th January 2010, 07:27 PM
There was a bloke with a theory about this a few years back.

I think his name was York, or Broome or Darwin or something like that.

PeteyD
10th January 2010, 07:29 PM
She best make sure the new boyfriend doesn't have a fast car, or herpes.

razaar
10th January 2010, 07:48 PM
There a many Americans who think Australia is one of the most dangerous places on earth and can't understand our no gun laws. Crocs, snakes, sharks, drop bears etc. ;)

LarryLong
10th January 2010, 07:59 PM
I have never held a gun and I plan on never doing so.

Peace, man.

Webster
10th January 2010, 08:26 PM
I like guns, but I dont like a lot of people who like guns.

Matt 3 Jab
11th January 2010, 11:58 AM
I really enjoy shooting at the range, pitty i dont get to use my tool of the trade in a public range. But shooting is a real skill, like golf, and i respect the people who do it well.

A mate is a big pistol champion, Green as a surname, and he gave me the best tips.

As long as idiots get anything that hurt people (cars, guns, knives etc) then those items will always have a negative stigma attached.

Guns dont kill people, people kill people.

adlo
12th January 2010, 03:32 AM
I think this thread is poorly named. Should be "OzGolfers and their gun obsession."

Couldn't agree more with the above stat and the fact that shooting a handgun is bloody difficult, if you ever get the chance try and shoot a target 20m away with a handgun single handedly. $50 says you will miss.

Even properly trained it is bloody hard.

Virge, are you telling me that the movies are wrong?!? Has Hollywood betrayed me?

razaar
19th January 2010, 08:08 AM
Shooting advice
Words Of Wisdom

Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch, is part drill instructor, and part standup comic (Thunder Ranch is a firearms training facility in Arizona ).

Here are a few of his observation on tactics, firearms, self defense and life as we know it in the civilized world.

"The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way.."

"Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but he'llhave to beat you to death with it, cause it's going to be empty."

"If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not loadin', you should be movin', if you're not movin', someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick."

"When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel or the tooth fairy... and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

"Do something. It may be wrong, but do something."

"Shoot what's available, as long as it's available, until something else becomes available."

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for."

"Don't shoot fast, unless you also shoot good.."

"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work, but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems.. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

"You cannot save the planet but you may be able to save yourself and your family."

"Thunder Ranch will be here as long as you'll have us or until someonemakes us go away, and either way, it will be exciting."

More Excellent Gun Wisdom.......

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a 46.'

6. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

7. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

8. Beware of the man who only has one gun, because he probably knows how to use it very well.

;)

virge666
19th January 2010, 10:06 AM
If you have front yard full of cars that don't work.

You might be a redneck

DracZ
19th January 2010, 10:39 AM
There's nothing wrong with owning a gun or considering it a hobby, problem is most people don't learn to respect it for what it is - a *really* dangerous piece of equipment.

razaar
23rd January 2010, 01:21 PM
Guns do come in handy. Two stags are locked by the horns and would most probably have died. Checkout what this shooter does in the circumstances.
http://www.texashuntfish.com/app/forum/25824/Deer-Fight-Interrupted-by-a