PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Guys

clikchic
9th January 2010, 07:45 PM
I was just doing a database backup to do a test install of the forum upgrades and I always forget it brings the forum down when I do so. :oops:

Will give a prior warning before I do the live install. I will post on the facebook group if there is any unexpected downtime.

The facebook group is here (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5287202798).

Jarro
9th January 2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks heaps Robyn :)

MegaWatty
9th January 2010, 07:49 PM
Love the forum. Hate Facebook. Thanks for heads up.

henno
9th January 2010, 07:49 PM
Strange that a database backup brings down the forum.

Eag's
9th January 2010, 07:51 PM
Update time, good work clikchic :)

sms316
9th January 2010, 07:53 PM
jarro must have been lost for a while

Jarro
9th January 2010, 07:55 PM
jarro must have been lost for a while

nah, just opened up my RedTube tab :)

goughy
9th January 2010, 08:00 PM
We have a facebook group!!

PeteyD
9th January 2010, 08:14 PM
Strange that a database backup brings down the forum.

Not really with older DB tech.

henno
9th January 2010, 08:16 PM
Not really with older DB tech.

I can only assume this is not on older db tech. It'd be mysql or postgresql (likely the former) and the mysqldump utility works a treat. There's even a mysqldump-slow program as well.

I think it's more likely a poorly written PHP backup script that's bundled with the control panel of vbulletin or something that maxes out the allowed connections or something.

Either way, it shouldn't have to happen.

sms316
9th January 2010, 08:17 PM
Isn't there a rule here that you are supposed to post in English?

PeteyD
9th January 2010, 08:18 PM
Assuming in IT is dumbass. Although I'd agree that mysql is the most likely and it shouldn't happen, but I have seen some very weird things.

Daves
9th January 2010, 08:20 PM
Isn't there a rule here that you are supposed to post in English?

Racist!

clikchic
9th January 2010, 08:54 PM
I think it's more likely a poorly written PHP backup script that's bundled with the control panel of vbulletin or something that maxes out the allowed connections or something.

Either way, it shouldn't have to happen.

Yup, probably this one. I use the cpanel to do backups like these because I trust it better than the automatic forum backup and I am not that good at PHPMyAdmin.

It has been a while since I have done one tho so I forgot all about the fact that it brings down the forum. The database is huge tho, it is five times the size it was a few years ago.

I admit I am a hack, but I usually get there eventually! ROFL Do you feel safe in my hands now? :twisted:

FWIW, I did all the original installs of the forum and portals and several of the upgrades. So it isn't like I haven't done it before, it has just been a while.

Anyway, if I run into trouble I can't solve (love a good puzzle - kind of) I will be sure to shout out. (thanks guys for the offer of help) I figured the safest bet on such a major upgrade would be to do it on a test site first especially since I am out of practice!

Backup of files and database is taking longer than I expected, so I doubt the test site will be up tonight, but I will keep you posted.

clikchic
9th January 2010, 08:56 PM
We have a facebook group!!

Get with it goughy! :roll:

Yossarian
9th January 2010, 09:18 PM
We have a facebook group??

sms316
9th January 2010, 09:21 PM
We have a facebook group??

Of course. That way we can send PMs.

:mrgreen:

Yossarian
9th January 2010, 09:24 PM
I like PMs. Horrible spelling of bachelor btw.

Yossarian
10th January 2010, 12:51 PM
Worst facebook group ever.

AndyP
10th January 2010, 03:21 PM
Worst facebook group ever.:mrgreen:

Yossarian
10th January 2010, 03:26 PM
Andy I don't think I have ever seen you use an emoticon... That race must have really taken it out of you.

AndyP
10th January 2010, 04:08 PM
It's a rarity, but it does happen.

markTHEblake
10th January 2010, 04:33 PM
it doesnt count as 'using an emoticon', because it wasnt included with any written text.