PDA

View Full Version : 5 hour rounds - what can you do?

WBennett
7th January 2010, 11:11 AM
I've played the last two Wednesday comps at my home track - 6100m, a couple of longer walks between holes, lots of water.

The last two Wednesday stableford comps have had full fields, and I have teed off about 9:15ish. Both rounds have ended up being 5 hour slogs.

5 frikkin hours!

I understand 5 hours for stroke - be necessity it is slower. But how can you speed up play and get rounds down closer to 4:30, or preferably 4 hours?

What do other clubs do to speed up play?

henno
7th January 2010, 11:13 AM
Compulsory call up holes, and an emphasis on always "being in position" in the field.

BrisVegas
7th January 2010, 11:18 AM
We clock out & in with the pro shop. It has improved things a bit for member comps.

Can't do much about the social/corporate crowd though, as they all want to savour their "day out".

3oneday
7th January 2010, 11:22 AM
Holler for a marshall.

Hamo84
7th January 2010, 11:24 AM
we use a 2 tee system. Both 1 and 10 tees are next to eachother so the proshop will direct the groups as to which one to use, The tees are open from 7-9 and 11 till 1 which allows for the morning groups to complete thier second 9. It does work well, very rarely is there ever a bank up or long waits, and rounds are normally done a bit over 4 hours

The Pat needs to implement soemthing like that desperately, both at the Exec 60 course and the full course, waits of 5 -6 groups at first tee are not uncommon and even rounds on the small 60 course can take nearly 4 hours... its a joke!!!

WBennett
7th January 2010, 11:27 AM
I played Gold Creek the other day in an easy 4 hour walk. Leeton was 3 hours 50 including time looking for balls. Both have three or more long holes to start which spaces out the field pretty quickly, and the time sheets were fairly empty in comparison.

GLGC has an unfortunate situation where the longest hole in the first 5 is about 350m - its 350m 4, 300m 4, 200m 3, 330m 4, 170m 3 - so the first five holes can take an hour and a half.

A bundy clock was tried for weekends, but I don't think it is implemented for Wednesdays. Maybe I should just have sympathy for the old codgers who just can't walk/ride their carts/bikes/scooters any faster...

Iain
7th January 2010, 12:00 PM
Tee off first...

WBennett
7th January 2010, 12:07 PM
Iain

I'm not special enough to get in the first group (ie, on the Committee...)

just
7th January 2010, 12:27 PM
Get a Dsi or PSP to pass the time.

Eag's
7th January 2010, 02:17 PM
Give golf a miss and head to the pub ;)

sms316
7th January 2010, 02:19 PM
Overthrow the Committee.

WBennett
7th January 2010, 02:33 PM
SMS

If I didn't run a footy club, I'd put my hand up to be on the golf club committee.

There would be a bundy clock on the first/18th tees - and if your group was the first one that came in over 4:30 for Stableford and 4:45 for stroke it would be an instant 2 shot penalty added to the score for every player in the group.

Harsh yes - but fair - I think so

Courty
7th January 2010, 10:08 PM
I'm watching this thread with interest, and will be forwarding the suggestions to my committee.

Yossarian
7th January 2010, 10:12 PM
Vouchers or free drinks or something for quick rounds? Quicker rounds may equal more members equals profit.

zigwah
7th January 2010, 10:18 PM
You can't do much about it, i played with a guy the other week and it pissed odwn rain and i could have kissed the groundskeeper when he blew the siren, i was out of there.

3 hours for nine holes, this guy was off about 15 got there late, and took so much time over his shots, it was as though we were playing on the tour, i was fooking wild, but being a gentlemans sport you can't say hurry the **** up dicked the whole field is up our arse.

Dotty
7th January 2010, 10:35 PM
Benno, it must be your group. Parlyboy finishes in three hours. ;)

Snapping 2 into the houses off the tee in a stroke round, then cracking the shits and take an NCR then realise you have a bout a 3 km walk back to the clubhouse and then you have to explain yourself to everyone why it is your walking back......

Nothing constructive to add, other than keep moving and the powers-that-be needs to turn a deaf ear to the never-ending excuses. (e.g. A is over 70, B has had both knees replaced, C is a big hitting 24 marker and has to wait for the green to clear, D works a stressful job and golf is his relaxation, E says we're not playing for sheep stations, etc. etc. etc.)

adlo
8th January 2010, 05:01 AM
Was comp golf always this slow?

In my experience, some tracks and members are very particular about 4 hour rounds. Bunbury GC, my "home" track, 2 hours south of Perth doesn't need someone on the clock. The members ensure rounds are fast.

In Perth, 4.5 hours seems to be the norm.

However, if you believe everything you read, golf is becoming far too easy with modern technology and courses have to be made longer, tighter with more hazards and faster greens. I call "bullshit" on this one. It is slowing down the game. More lost golf balls, more time in hazards, more people chipping onto the green only to watch their ball roll back off the other side..... Sure, some people take too long on the green, but I do not think that is the main cause of slow play. It is all the other crap I mentioned.

Webster
8th January 2010, 06:41 AM
join a better club

WBennett
8th January 2010, 07:01 AM
Always so helpful Jack

Webster
8th January 2010, 07:03 AM
thanks.

Bruce
8th January 2010, 07:47 AM
You can't do much about it, i played with a guy the other week and it pissed odwn rain and i could have kissed the groundskeeper when he blew the siren, i was out of there.

3 hours for nine holes, this guy was off about 15 got there late, and took so much time over his shots, it was as though we were playing on the tour, i was fooking wild, but being a gentlemans sport you can't say hurry the **** up dicked the whole field is up our arse.

Yes you can. And should.

You don't have to go straight to calling him a dickhead though - leave that for the second time.

BrisVegas
8th January 2010, 08:11 AM
Exactly Bruce.

WBennett
8th January 2010, 08:17 AM
We have a 'ready golf' policy in action at the club. I don't know if it helps, as the quicker players still move faster to the ball, play their shots quicker, then wait for the normal slowpoke in each group to move on and catch up.

I've told players in my group to hurry up before, as its the low markers responsibility to ensure you don't drop behind. Most of them take it well and do play quicker until you catch up, but a couple cracked the shits big time and sooked the rest of the way around.

sms316
8th January 2010, 08:18 AM
Benno - do you think all of those silly bunkers that have been put in at GL could be contributing to the rounds getting slower?

Daves
8th January 2010, 08:23 AM
We have a 'ready golf' policy in action at the club. I don't know if it helps, as the quicker players still move faster to the ball, play their shots quicker, then wait for the normal slowpoke in each group to move on and catch up.

I've told players in my group to hurry up before, as its the low markers responsibility to ensure you don't drop behind. Most of them take it well and do play quicker until you catch up, but a couple cracked the shits big time and sooked the rest of the way around.

This approach is stated explicitly in our yearly club fixtures handbook. The lowest marker is the group Captain and responsible for group etiquette and speed of play.

sms316
8th January 2010, 08:27 AM
The lowest marker policy is a crock of shit.

Jarro
8th January 2010, 08:28 AM

Why ?

WBennett
8th January 2010, 08:30 AM
Hamburglar

The new bunkers have contributed to slow play, as the old fogies take 3 to get out then spend 5 minutes raking.

Lowest marker policy does suck, but someone has to take responsibility.

sms316
8th January 2010, 08:33 AM
Why ?
Because it means the Committee are not responsible for looking after the field. It is their responsibility.

Jarro
8th January 2010, 08:34 AM
Because it means the Committee are not responsible for looking after the field. It is their responsibility.

Fair enough i suppose.

The low-marker rule seems a bit stupid if the group contains 4 x 20+ markers in it (not saying all 20+ markers are slow)

LarryLong
8th January 2010, 08:43 AM
I reckon some of these things could be helped by some light-hearted punishment. Fine each member of any group that takes too long $2 and give the proceeds to charity or something.

henno
8th January 2010, 08:46 AM
The low-marker rule seems a bit stupid if the group contains 4 x 20+ markers in it (not saying all 20+ markers are slow)

Or a 15 year old kid off 8 or 9 and three old buggers off 18 who know the game back to front but are just old and hit it nowhere.

Jarro
8th January 2010, 08:51 AM
Or a 15 year old kid off 8 or 9 and three old buggers off 18 who know the game back to front but are just old and hit it nowhere.

yeah that's a better example henno ... cheers ;)

sms316
8th January 2010, 09:01 AM
Or if AndyP is the low marker.

:mrgreen:

PerryGroves
8th January 2010, 09:02 AM
SMS

There would be a bundy clock on the first/18th tees - and if your group was the first one that came in over 4:30 for Stableford and 4:45 for stroke it would be an instant 2 shot penalty added to the score for every player in the group.

Harsh yes - but fair - I think so

The clock thing doesn't work. We have a regular tee time, last in the morning field, I play 4.45 golf if that's what the 12 groups in front do. Medal last week we did 3.40 with nobody in front. Love to see them try and ping me a penalty.

My old course had a 3 tee start, if you go too quick at the front you have to wait whilst the last of the guys go off 7. The times are designed to play 4.15 golf.

Mate of mine who is a Pom thinks the problem is because we play in 4's. He played most of his jnr golf in 3 balls and thinks that would solve some issues.

LarryLong
8th January 2010, 09:16 AM
The clock thing doesn't work. We have a regular tee time, last in the morning field, I play 4.45 golf if that's what the 12 groups in front do. Medal last week we did 3.40 with nobody in front. Love to see them try and ping me a penalty.

I think wbennet made the point that you would ping the first group to finish slow. Of course you wouldn't ping a group that finishes straight after the (slow) group in front of them.

parlyboy
8th January 2010, 09:17 AM
Some many questions, so many answers...tough subject.

Ive been playing at GLGC for about 6 months and most of the time its 4:15 hours for 18 roughly.
Depends if you actually play 18 i guess...

Bit harsh to charge people cash for slow play, wont work. You will get a "stick it up your ass" reply im guessing.
I still dont understand why people just cant walk to their own ball on the fariway/rough and hit it without waiting for partner to hit theirs from opposite side of fairway!!!

Ready golf shouldnt just be for the tee. The whole honour thing is BS. Unless pennants or whatever.

How many times do you see 4 guys on the green looking at each other to see whose turn it is. Just putt out FFS.
Marking your ball a foot from the cup after your first putt - THAT PISSES ME OFF!!!

Parlyboy.

sms316
8th January 2010, 09:21 AM
Do GL have a course marshall?

markTHEblake
8th January 2010, 09:21 AM
Dont worry about the slow play and enjoy the golf.

PerryGroves
8th January 2010, 09:28 AM
I think wbennet made the point that you would ping the first group to finish slow. Of course you wouldn't ping a group that finishes straight after the (slow) group in front of them.

Oops, read what I wanted to, not what was wriiten

bluescooter
8th January 2010, 09:31 AM
Come to Queanbeyan benno. 4 hour rounds tops, add on the 30 minutes travel each way and you are even.

sms316
8th January 2010, 09:32 AM
Too many trees for Benno!

WBennett
8th January 2010, 09:53 AM
sms - I like Qbn - I spray them that far they are in the middle of the next fairway. We have a course marshall but he just spends the day driving around and chatting to his friends, not giving anyone a hurry up.
Perry - my suggestion was for the first group to transgress only. You can't penalise the following groups for their slow play.
Scoot - enjoy the 6 hours for the Aus Day cup then. Hope its 38 degrees that day!

Any suggestions other than SMS and Jack are worthy suggestions. I'm lucky enough to have one of my committee members reading and contributing to this thread, maybe we can do something about it and improve the situation.

sms316
8th January 2010, 09:55 AM
We have a course marshall but he just spends the day driving around and chatting to his friends, not giving anyone a hurry up.
There is your answer. Get a new marshall.

bergsey
8th January 2010, 11:05 AM

Yep, some of the low markers we have are notoriously slow! ....taking forever to line up putts and work out club selection... the old boys get around way quicker in my experience.

bluescooter
8th January 2010, 11:53 AM
Dare I say

'Holler for a Marshall'

parlyboy
8th January 2010, 12:41 PM
Do GL have a course marshall?

It does at halfway mark and written down but nothing is really said...

Most people go for a poo and a cold sausage roll and head to the 10th.

parlyboy
8th January 2010, 12:43 PM
Come to Queanbeyan benno. 4 hour rounds tops, add on the 30 minutes travel each way and you are even.

Drove past there today...greens look sweet!

LarryLong
8th January 2010, 01:03 PM
Most people go for a poo and a cold sausage roll and head to the 10th.

Might have to put a time limit on the poo. :)

Yossarian
8th January 2010, 01:06 PM
Might have to put a time limit on the poo. :)

You can't rush perfection.

AndyP
8th January 2010, 01:08 PM
Might have to put a time limit on the poo. :)My boss always jokingly says that we are allowed one 6 minute poo break per day. I regularly abuse this.

Jarro
8th January 2010, 01:16 PM
My boss always jokingly says that we are allowed one 6 minute poo break per day. I regularly abuse this.

You wouldn't half that with the food you eat.

would you ? :-s

AndyP
8th January 2010, 01:23 PM
The only reason I keep weight off (barely) is because of running. I drink and eat plenty. Too much cheese too. Sometimes I don't leave until the end of the chapter anyway. ;)

WBennett
8th January 2010, 01:44 PM
Holler for a marshall.

Dare I say

'Holler for a Marshall'

Dare I say 3oneday beat you to it two pages before?

When is my performance review due anyway?

bluescooter
8th January 2010, 01:56 PM
Sorry bad jibe at SMS.

Performance review probably Tuesday just got to book them all in.

Scoot
8th January 2010, 07:43 PM
Drove past there today...greens look sweet!

After a couple of months break I played at home (QBN) today.

The greens are very good, and the fairways have come a long way in the last couple of months also.

It was great to see it that way.

Anyhow, while 5 hr rounds are rare (1st rnd club champs usually does it), I think the 4 hr round is a little rare also.

Mind you, lynchings are common after a 4.5 hr round.

Scottt
8th January 2010, 10:05 PM
I feel your pain, Benno.

When I was back home both Penrith and Bardwell Valley were as slow as hell 4.45-5hr at Penrith (6300m) and 4hr+ at Bardwell (par 62). That's just unnecessary.

The contrast over here really is remarkable. My club is a two-ball club, and you get around in 3hrs - no excuses. Even the golf I have played in groups of four has been quicker than at home, because golfers over here are conditioned and educated to play fast, rather than merely paying lip-service to it.

I think one of the simple issues is that most clubs will just let anyone in if they pay their money, and once they have paid their money they will do next to nothing to educate them about what is expected or address anything they do that makes membership of the club less enjoyable for others.

Bundy clocks, marshalls etc are well-meaning initiatives, but I don't think they will ever work.

The only thing that will get golfers around the course quicker is for them to want to play faster and be aware of the need to keep moving, walk with purpose etc.

There is no good reason for a game of golf in groups of four to take much over 4hrs even in a stroke round. Clubs need to do a better job of introducing new members to what is expected of them, making sure that is monitored to avoid bad habits being formed and also addressing any members - regardless of how long they've been there or whose mate they are - who cause issues.

But it requires a cultural shift and I fear the 5hr round has become too ingrained at many clubs for it to ever get turned around.

Jack's suggestion of "join a better club" might or might not have been offered in jest, but I would say he is at least partially right (though I know pretty much everyone is already a member of the best club they can be). In my experience in Aus and the UK, the better clubs have less of a problem with slow play.

I still think three-ball golf is worth a try. Surely it has to be faster if only for the fact there is one less bloke to chat to and 25% less shots to be played.

ParMaster
8th January 2010, 10:48 PM
I just played a 6 hour round at The Coast today. Oh the agony.

They should (probably a stupid idea anyway, but it would quicken it up) make each 4-some complete their game in under 4 hours 30 mins or a similar time, and if they don't, then just cancel their card.

Scoot
8th January 2010, 11:20 PM
GC architects are to blame.

uahmad
9th January 2010, 12:08 AM
what would happen with the 2ball in groups of 3?

Need to keep it interesting, we always have a wager on the 2 ball just to keep it exciting.
3 ball would suck i think.

Anyhow i dont think its the new members, its any member over 50. they walk slow as ****.

They don't have anything to do most days, wives are playing bingo, they go looking for divots to fill in on the fairways, then they get on the green and walk the whole green complaining about how the members don't repair pitch marks and will go to extreme lengths to find and fix.

to them its just a day out, soak in the atmosphere and stroll around leisurely...