PDA

View Full Version : Angry at foxtel's monopoly of the cricket!

goughy
2nd March 2005, 06:59 AM
Need I say more. OK, I will.

I don't have payTV, but have been at work during every one day match in NZ. Well, matches 2 and 4 were not broadcast on ABC radio national. Very dissapointed. So yesterday I rang them to ask why (complain I mean!!!)

That lady on reception told me that Foxtel have the rights to broadcast the cricket and even tho they were not sending out any radio broadcasts (only their payTV coverage) they did not give permission to the ABC to cover those tests for their radio audience. How much does that suck. Especially since many of the games have been during the day on a weekday. How many workers have a TV at their workplace.

Gonna complain to foxtel in a minute, but think htat their attitude sucks.

Fishman Dan
2nd March 2005, 07:47 AM
Need I say more. OK, I will.

I don't have payTV, but have been at work during every one day match in NZ. Well, matches 2 and 4 were not broadcast on ABC radio national. Very dissapointed. So yesterday I rang them to ask why (complain I mean!!!)

That lady on reception told me that Foxtel have the rights to broadcast the cricket and even tho they were not sending out any radio broadcasts (only their payTV coverage) they did not give permission to the ABC to cover those tests for their radio audience. How much does that suck. Especially since many of the games have been during the day on a weekday. How many workers have a TV at their workplace.

Gonna complain to foxtel in a minute, but think htat their attitude sucks.

Goughy - you need to complain to the ABA - Australian Broadcasting Authority. Although this industry i believe is 'self-governing' - so if they say it's ok, there's sweet FA you can do about it.

John Howard is believed to have exerted himself for the Ashes coverage, to prevent "anti-syphoning" (good term to know) - where if you want access, you must subsribe. Considering i live smack-bang in the middle of Sydney and can't be connected to Foxtel, who's frustrated now? :roll:

It's a shame that doesn't happen more often for other tours.

markTHEblake
2nd March 2005, 08:59 AM
Goughy, it doesnt sound right what the ABC told you.

I can remember from my days at Austar that 90% of the people completely screwed up when responding to questions about broadcast rights. In most cases reasons for not broadcasting events are purely commercial.

Now thinking about it the "Anti Syphoning" law may only covers TV rights not radio, so maybe they were right?

check this out for a good read about the relevant legislation and what sports are covered.

http://www.aba.gov.au/tv/content/sport/

according to this, the NZ cricket tour should be on Free To Air. Obviously Ch9 decided it didnt want to broadcast it so Foxtel lapped it up. I

Jarro
2nd March 2005, 01:33 PM
i feel sorry for you Goughy, really i do. I couldn't stand it if i knew LIVE matches were being broadcast and i couldn't watch them :cry:

saying that though, i have Foxtel, so i guess i'm one of the lucky ones 8)

3oneday
2nd March 2005, 01:56 PM
Obviously Ch9 decided it didnt want to broadcast it so Foxtel lapped it up. this is your issue, get stuck into the free to air networks... if they weren't so hung up on reality TV and the other crap they show... it's their own stupidity that allows pay TV to survive (and thrive).

Pete