PDA

View Full Version : Skycaddie SG5- is worth it?

mdcorea
6th January 2010, 07:08 PM
Hi guys.. I think to buy Skycaddie SG5 model. But i am not sure it is good to have my bag, it is really help to reduced some shot??

is anyone using now or experiece before??

Thank you!!

Veefore
6th January 2010, 10:26 PM
I have the Callaway Upro and it is probably worth around 2 shots some rounds, nothing others. It is invaluable when you are in a position that just doesn't allow you to get a good yardage, like when you are on the wrong fairway or if it is a really long green. In that case if you can see that the pin is at the back you just look for the measurement to the back of the green on the GPS and deduct a few metres, rather than club to the middle of the green and maybe have a 20m putt.

Captain Nemo
7th January 2010, 09:25 AM
Sonnocaddie v300!:smt060

mdcorea
7th January 2010, 10:18 AM
I have the Callaway Upro and it is probably worth around 2 shots some rounds, nothing others. It is invaluable when you are in a position that just doesn't allow you to get a good yardage, like when you are on the wrong fairway or if it is a really long green. In that case if you can see that the pin is at the back you just look for the measurement to the back of the green on the GPS and deduct a few metres, rather than club to the middle of the green and maybe have a 20m putt.

Thanks Veefore and titleist

So it is good to have I believe. now which one???

SkyCaddie or Callaway or sonocaddie...ummm:-s

Veefore
7th January 2010, 02:52 PM
They all have different features and it can be hard to decide just which you will use the most, if at all. I find that I use just the standard views that they all offer with green front-middle-back and hazards probably 90% of the time. I only use the aerial view with the measure function once or maybe twice a round just for reassurance. I could live without it without feeling deprived.

On a course I don't know though the overhead view function would be invaluable. But how many times do you play a course you have never seen before?

goonie
8th January 2010, 10:27 PM
you can get a simple one for less than $200 that just tells you distance like a Bushnell Neo, or a fancy one with maps of holes like the uPro and v300 sonocaddie. just make sure which ever one you go for it has plenty of maps for courses that you play or might want to, and also consider the cost with some memberships. The neo has the advantage of being able to share maps, I don't know many others that allow sharing.

MegaWatty
8th January 2010, 10:42 PM
I know there's probably 100 threads on GPS, but how many companies actually professionally map Aussie courses like Sureshot does? Ones taken from Google maps seem to be a little bit off sometimes.

AlexMc
8th January 2010, 11:15 PM
I have a Sureshot, however the Garmin (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=261) model that you can get in the States where you can move the pin around on the green on the unit looks pretty awesome. Not available here unfortunately...

It does make a difference, whether it be GPS or Rangefinder (or even a combination of the two!).

markTHEblake
8th January 2010, 11:20 PM
mdcorea, where do you play?

do these golf specific GPS's also do basic plotting? like just get a coordinate or plot a distance between two way points.

and if anyone knows if such an application is available for Symbian 60 phones, that would be great.

Ned
8th January 2010, 11:25 PM
Golflogix are currently looking at all of the 18 hole golf courses in the FNQ area. (They already have Cairns and Sea Temple mapped)

I’ve arranged for the score cards to be sent to them so they can assess in conjunction the quality of mapping via Satellite.

They will do GPS weigh Point mapping but for that they want more then just the Golf Gadgets gps tracking to collate.

Courty and I were discussing this last week as the better quality GPS the greater ability it has to pick up more Satellites therefore they can supply better quality and more accurate data.

A couple of the NEO users at the 09 Champs who had two or more in there group were reading vastly different distance readings standing next to each other.

I know there's probably 100 threads on GPS, but how many companies actually professionally map Aussie courses like Sureshot does? Ones taken from Google maps seem to be a little bit off sometimes.

goonie
8th January 2010, 11:29 PM

Sonocaddie were paying people to map courses a little while back, I have have had very few problems with the courses I have used on the NEO, and it is very to easy remap a green during a round if you think it is off and are going to play a course again, plus with the growing number of ozgolfers with the neo that are mapping and remapping courses we are getting more and more accurate maps to share.

Veefore
9th January 2010, 10:02 PM
The Upro is mapped via aerial images. I have put mine side by side with the Sureshot and the only difference seems to be where the person who did the mapping decides the front, back and middle are. This led to about a 1-2m difference on some holes. With the Sureshot, they have plotted where they think the centre, front edge and back edge are by standing there and plotting it. With the Upro, They have determined the centre of the green from the overheads and then the display shows the front and back measurements as they are in line with the centre. This is true no matter what angle you approach the green from. This is really handy when you aren't approaching the green from directly in front. The Sureshot doesn't seem to do this. It seems to have one spot plotted as the front (or back) edge of the green and always gives you the distance to that. The difference on some greens can be quite dramatic.

jaybam
10th January 2010, 02:03 AM
i like my little bushnel neo. Very basic and easy to use. Also helps the amount of maps we have here between us :)