PDA

View Full Version : I've got broadband...

mike
1st March 2005, 10:08 PM
...and it's wonderful.

Onewood
1st March 2005, 10:12 PM
...and it's wonderful.

Well done mike 8) welcome to the quick world :D

3oneday
1st March 2005, 10:54 PM
...and it's wonderful.send a PM to Jarro, he'll reply in a week :P :P

:lol: :lol:

Ona
1st March 2005, 11:44 PM
screw you guys :evil:

:cry:

Jarro
2nd March 2005, 04:13 AM
...and it's wonderful.send a PM to Jarro, he'll reply in a week :P :P

:lol: :lol:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I think i hate you mike :P :wink:

Davemason
7th March 2005, 10:24 AM
Telstra are pricks, about a month ago I was told from telstra that I could get broadband as it was at my local exchange and that got me all excited so I signed up but they would have to do some tests to make sure that I could get it to my address, and here comes the head ache because my estate which is about 5-8 year old has a new fibre optic rim and not copper I can't get broadband as they don't have the technology to send broadband down fibre optics lines.
So I'll just have to put up with dial up,
But that don't stop telstra sending email about all the new broadband plans

Iain
7th March 2005, 10:30 AM
Telstra are pricks, about a month ago I was told from telstra that I could get broadband as it was at my local exchange and that got me all excited so I signed up but they would have to do some tests to make sure that I could get it to my address, and here comes the head ache because my estate which is about 5-8 year old has a new fibre optic rim and not copper I can't get broadband as they don't have the technology to send broadband down fibre optics lines.

Must be the reason you've got a double post 3 minutes apart!!!!!! :smt016 :smt016 :smt016

I've got cable...... :lol: :lol:

Davemason
7th March 2005, 10:40 AM

Must be the reason you've got a double post 3 minutes apart!!!!!! :smt016 :smt016 :smt016

I've got cable...... :lol: :lol:

Sorry about that :oops: don't know what happened there some how it got submited twice :smt017 may be due to the slow transfer rate I must off hit submit button twice, #-o I didn't think it went the first time

Jarro
7th March 2005, 03:14 PM
i feel you pain Dave, i phoned Telstra this morning to find out when/if i could get ADSL to my home.

they replied "not in the foreseeable future" My house is 6Kms away from an enabled exchange, and according to Telstra, this is too far away for the signal to travel without significant loss of strength :roll:

:evil: :x

Fishman Dan
7th March 2005, 03:20 PM
i feel you pain Dave, i phoned Telstra this morning to find out when/if i could get ADSL to my home.

they replied "not in the foreseeable future" My house is 6Kms away from an enabled exchange, and according to Telstra, this is too far away for the signal to travel without significant loss of strength :roll:

:evil: :x

Jarro - you have cable TV? :roll:

Get cable internet (note, this is still 'broadband') - shootloads faster.

Jarro
7th March 2005, 03:32 PM

satellite mate :roll:

Fishman Dan
7th March 2005, 04:03 PM

satellite mate :roll:

Oh :oops: :oops: :oops:

:wink:

:roll:

markTHEblake
7th March 2005, 04:40 PM
Jarro, things are changing. Telstra has already extended the reach of ADSL from an exchange once and they are trialling to extend it again. Now theres the talk of ADSL 2 which is going to be 10 times faster (or is it 100) and it will have an even further reach from the exchange.

Davemason. ADSL can work along fibre optic, anyone who says it cant is making it up.

Its just that the technoology used in the Rim is not capable of it, lack of foresight by telstra or simply ADSL issue was never considered to be an issue 10 years ago.

Telstra is progressively upgrading these Rims by adding a Cmux (or minumux) to enable ADSL. They will do this when they get enough people asking for it (about 40). Contact your local Countrywide office, ask them how many people on your Rim have registered on the ADSL waiting list.

If there isnt enough on the list, then start a local campaign in your neighbourhood. Letterbox drops, petitions etc. Shouldnt be too hard to drum up 40 names.

I am in exact position as you. Except my estate is 12 mths old, and only 15 houses occupied so far.

NB> OTOH the only Rims that can be upgraded are 3rd Generation and up. You can tell which Gen it is by looking at it, and then compare with the pictures at Whirlpool.net somewhere. Or you could do it the easy way and ask the telstra guy at Countrywide. I emphasise contacting countrywide as they have a lot of knowledge about the local area and you will get to speak to an actual techie guy.

drunken
7th March 2005, 07:28 PM
MTB, adsl 2 is already happening in some areas of Adelaide. Albeit only through Internode & exchanges that have their hardware in it.

http://adsl.internode.on.net/

markTHEblake
7th March 2005, 08:14 PM
Thats right but there isnt a lot of money in putting independant DSLAMS into the exchanges in the likes of Quilpie, Broken Hill and Rabbit Flat.

For most of Australia thats going to be a wait of a year or two when Telstra starts rolling it out.

mike
7th March 2005, 08:18 PM
Wow I can't believe I can get broadband up here and you guys in Brisbane can't.

We haven't even got traffic lights up here yet.

terryand
7th March 2005, 08:21 PM

We haven't even got traffic lights up here yet.

Or 2005 Prov 1's :wink: http://deephousepage.com/smilies/rofl5.gif

Terry.

mike
7th March 2005, 08:29 PM
Terry I know where you can get some cheap.

Interested ?

AndyP
7th March 2005, 08:54 PM
jarro is near Brisbane, not in Brisbane, hence all his whinging about travelling for our golf rounds.

BrisVegas
8th March 2005, 08:45 AM
Now theres the talk of ADSL 2 which is going to be 10 times faster (or is it 100) and it will have an even further reach from the exchange.

Davemason. ADSL can work along fibre optic, anyone who says it cant is making it up.

Its just that the technoology used in the Rim is not capable of it, lack of foresight by telstra or simply ADSL issue was never considered to be an issue 10 years ago.

Telstra is progressively upgrading these Rims by adding a Cmux (or minumux) to enable ADSL. They will do this when they get enough people asking for it (about 40). Contact your local Countrywide office, ask them how many people on your Rim have registered on the ADSL waiting list.

I am in exact position as you. Except my estate is 12 mths old, and only 15 houses occupied so far.

Brookwater (the housing part) is trialling Fibre To The Door (FTTD) with Telstra to see how reliable the various connectors and amplifiers etc are in a residential environment. Unfortunately, Telstra won't be rolling it out to everyone, just the lucky few who buy in the later stages. The good news though is that there is a new CMUX only 300 metres away from my house, so the ADSL is booming in. ADSL2 speeds should be great too, once it's available. I've heard that 8Mbps+ is achievable, which would make it as good as cable. 8)

markTHEblake
8th March 2005, 10:07 AM
They are trialling that at Emerald Lakes too. I think ithat and brookwater is the only places in OZ that are getting it at the moment.

Courty
8th March 2005, 07:04 PM
jarro is near Brisbane, not in Brisbane, hence all his whinging about travelling for our golf rounds.

You know what they say: "Near enough is not good enough"

Welcome to the 21st Century mike. I've had ADSL for a couple of months now.