PDA

View Full Version : Tennis

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

chappy1970
6th January 2010, 08:51 AM
Not much of a tennis buff myself, but I made an observation when watching Sports Tonight last night.

I really think that Kim Clisters looks like Princess Fiona from Shrek.

Is it just me?

mike
6th January 2010, 08:53 AM
I've said it for years.

I also reckon Leyton looks like Kim.

Hamo84
6th January 2010, 08:53 AM
Spot on Chappy, there was an email going around at the time of skrek that had a normal pic of Kim a pic of kim with a green face and then a pic of princess fiona and the green kim and Princess Fiona pics look almost identical, pretty funny stuff.....

sms316
6th January 2010, 08:54 AM
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/7595/kimclijsters.jpg

AndyP
6th January 2010, 09:09 AM
Can we focus on the more attractive players please?

I'm going to the day session at the Brisbane International today, after getting a ground pass on Monday. There's plenty of talent about.

LarryLong
6th January 2010, 09:13 AM
Expect pics and a "Tennis good sorts" thread Andy.

chappy1970
6th January 2010, 09:14 AM
Mike I rather think that Lleyton looks like a tool, especially with his new do.

In the immortal words "you can't polish a TURD"

AndyP
6th January 2010, 10:23 AM
Expect pics and a "Tennis good sorts" thread Andy.
I should have got some pics on Monday, but I didn't take the camera. Olivia Rogowska was very nice.

TheTrueReview
6th January 2010, 11:45 AM
... Olivia Rogowska was very nice.

Agree 200%

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp2/thetruereview01/OliviaRogowska.png

AndyP
6th January 2010, 08:02 PM
I don't think that's her. Rogowska is blond. Most photos of her on the net don't do her justice. She was practicing again today.

I also Ana Ivanovic doing some warmup stuff with a medicine ball. Nice!

As for the tennis, the first women's match on Centre Court was ordinary, but the next two matches were very entertaining.

TheTrueReview
6th January 2010, 08:09 PM
I don't think that's her. Rogowska is blond. Most photos of her on the net don't do her justice. She was practicing again today.

Oops, I think that's Olivia Mun. Epic fail with the google images search. Oh well, Olivia Mun is a nice piece of T & A anyway.

henno
6th January 2010, 08:13 PM
Oops, I think that's Olivia Mun.

OliviaRogowska.png

:-"

KristianJ
6th January 2010, 08:34 PM
Oops, I think that's Olivia Mun. Epic fail with the google images search. Oh well, Olivia Mun is a nice piece of T & A anyway.

The finger bling is a bit depressing though...

AndyP
30th January 2010, 08:48 PM
It is very strange to be barracking for Serena Williams, but I just can't stand Henin.

Jarro
30th January 2010, 08:52 PM
I'm rooting for Henin tonight .... i'd love her to beat the beast !!

I simply can't stand either of the Williams sisters

henno
30th January 2010, 08:53 PM
It is very strange to be barracking for Serena Williams, but I just can't stand Henin.

Boo on you. I want Henin to win, if only because I don't have money on Serena this year.

AndyP
30th January 2010, 09:22 PM
Henin = Mega-Bitch

henno
30th January 2010, 09:25 PM
I don't want to marry her, just see her win.

TheNuclearOne
30th January 2010, 10:42 PM
I'm rooting for Henin tonight .... i'd love her to beat the beast !!

I simply can't stand either of the Williams sisters

TheTrueReview
30th January 2010, 11:09 PM
Shame that Henin lost. Serena Williams always has an excuse when she loses & it's never because her opponent outplayed her.

I put Serena Williams in the "Martina Navratilova school of excuses for losing". I remember one time when Navratilova blamed a loss on a Monkey that had urinated on some peanuts before she ate them!! :-s

parlyboy
30th January 2010, 11:56 PM
"Always bet on Black" .....Wes Snipes.

Yeah Henin = Bitch.

AndyP
31st January 2010, 10:37 AM
Shame that Henin lost. Serena Williams always has an excuse when she loses & it's never because her opponent outplayed her. At least Williams finishes the match before pulling out the excuses.

French tennis champion Amélie Mauresmo yesterday won her first Grand Slam title at the Australian Open in Melbourne. Mauresmo was winning 6-1 2-0 when her opponent, Belgian player Justine Henin-Hardenne, retired, citing a stomach complaint.

Jarro
31st January 2010, 02:13 PM
At least Williams finishes the match before pulling out the excuses.

True, but Henin doesn't threaten to kill a lineswoman either :roll:

They're all soft as butter .... hardly any of them finish a match anymore

AndyP
31st January 2010, 08:24 PM
How good is this Federer guy? The first set was even, but it looked like Murray was dictating play, yet Rog takes the set.

zigwah
31st January 2010, 08:49 PM
he is giving murray a jolly good rogering :)

henno
31st January 2010, 09:18 PM
Murray is "doing a henno". His body language tells me he's beaten before he has even lost.

AndyP
31st January 2010, 09:19 PM
The difference is that he has an actual opponent besides himself. And that opponent happens to be the best player of all time.

henno
31st January 2010, 09:20 PM
The difference is that he has an actual opponent besides himself.

That's funny....

... and infuriating.

dhills2
31st January 2010, 09:37 PM
Andy Murray celebrating after taking the break point in the third.http://www.dinofish.com/wmgallery/images/baboon%20jaws.jpg

ParMaster
31st January 2010, 09:47 PM
haha He does have a massive mouth doesn't he!?

henno
31st January 2010, 09:49 PM
Murray's a broken man. I hope Federer wraps in up in the next couple of games, eventhough I have money on him to lose. This is just crap.

If only the cricket was worth watching. Which it isn't.

Tomson
31st January 2010, 09:51 PM
The difference is that he has an actual opponent besides himself. And that opponent happens to be the best player of all time.

Big call

AndyP
31st January 2010, 09:55 PM
No, it's not. Can you name someone better?

mike
31st January 2010, 10:00 PM
Federer is very good but never played Laver or Borg and only played Sampras once.

He's the best player at the moment. By a long way.

Tomson
31st January 2010, 10:03 PM
Rod Laver

AndyP
31st January 2010, 10:12 PM
In reality, Igor Kunitsyn (ranked 100) would beat both Laver and Borg in their prime. Sampras might scrap into the top 20.

Men's tennis (unlike women's) tennis advances so much over a short period that even a layoff through injury has you playing catchup.

henno
31st January 2010, 10:14 PM
3 break points (for a serve to win the set)? Fail.
2 set points in a tie break? Fail.

What next, Murray.

mike
31st January 2010, 10:17 PM
In reality, Igor Kunitsyn (ranked 100) would beat both Laver and Borg in their prime. Sampras might scrap into the top 20.

That's dumb.

Give Laver, Sampras, Borg, Lendl, Newc etc the technology and training available today and who knows how good they could have been.

Tomson
31st January 2010, 10:18 PM
Tennis didn't turn professional till 1968 so by saying Fed is the best player of all time just because of 15 grandslams is an unfair statement. If you were to say that he is the best of the modern era then yes, but of all time I don't think so.

mike
31st January 2010, 10:20 PM
The 'best ever' arguments are always a wank. You can't compare different eras.

Carl Lewis is nowhere near as fast as Bolt. Means nothing.

KristianJ
31st January 2010, 10:21 PM
How did he reach that drop shot??

AndyP
31st January 2010, 10:22 PM
The 'best ever' arguments are always a wank. You can't compare different eras.

Carl Lewis is nowhere near as fast as Bolt. Means nothing.Of course it doesn't when you add "wanky" disclaimers in.

And there's another grand slam title.

It's unfortunate that in the old days they had to travel by ship.

mike
31st January 2010, 10:24 PM
Federer is a great sport and a thorough gentleman.

Great win by a great person.

Possibly the best tennis player in history.

BrisVegas
31st January 2010, 10:25 PM
Wow.

zigwah
31st January 2010, 10:29 PM
did carl lewis even ever hold a world record in the 100?

mike
31st January 2010, 10:30 PM
Probably. I dunno.

adlo
31st January 2010, 10:31 PM
Federer is an absolute joy to watch. I can't remember seeing such a skillful & dominant tennis player in my time (which is only the 80s until present).

mike
31st January 2010, 10:32 PM
did carl lewis even ever hold a world record in the 100?
Yes he did.

KristianJ
31st January 2010, 10:34 PM
9.88 if my memory serves me right...held it for a few years too, I think.

zigwah
31st January 2010, 10:38 PM
he was hardly the super star bolt will be or jesse owens or michael johnson

Daves
31st January 2010, 10:38 PM
9.88 if my memory serves me right...held it for a few years too, I think.

9.86 apparently, held it for 3 years.

henno
31st January 2010, 10:39 PM
If only the cricket was worth watching. Which it isn't.

Screw the tennis. This thing might actually be worth watching for the next half hour.

zigwah
31st January 2010, 10:40 PM
was that after johnston was stripped? and then he broke it a while later.

KristianJ
31st January 2010, 10:40 PM
9.86 apparently, held it for 3 years.

Yeah, it is. Just checked Wikipedia.

zigwah
31st January 2010, 10:41 PM
he beat the world record by a poofteenth?

zigwah
31st January 2010, 10:42 PM
don't get me wrong i loved carl lewis but he is nowhere the clear and dominant champion for so long as federer who has absolutely dominated tennis in an era where the talent isnt too bad

KristianJ
31st January 2010, 10:43 PM
was that after johnston was stripped? and then he broke it a while later.

Yeah...Johnson ran 9.79 at Seoul in 88, Lewis 9.93. Johnson tests positive and the rest is history. Lewis ran his 9.86 in a world champs in 91.

AndyP
31st January 2010, 10:43 PM
Screw the tennis. This thing might actually be worth watching for the next half hour.Stop posting on a golf forum while you're at it.

It is interesting to watch Murray avoid all eye contact with Federer being awarded the cup. Maybe you just have to get Roger at the right time to win a slam (if you're not Nadal).

Jarro
1st February 2010, 05:44 AM
I think Federer is the most dominant mens tennis player ever.

Tomson
1st February 2010, 11:50 AM
I think that in the era that Federer has been around, he hasn't been challenged at all. You can’t say Nadal has been a threat because he hasn’t. You look back and see for example the Sampras and Agassi rivalry and you think that maybe if either wasn't there how many Grandslams either could have won if it wasn't for a real serious challenger. Maybe Sampras could have won 20 Grandslams and therefore you could have said he was the best player of all time. I see Federer's forehand and I would not teach that to any kid, were as his backhand is technically correct. I look at Sampras and see how technically good his forehand, Backhand, Serve and Volley is I can not say the same for Federer. I think by listing Federer as “one of” the grestest players of tennis I can agree with that, but saying he “is” the best of all time, no I don’t think so.

TheNuclearOne
1st February 2010, 02:24 PM
The flip side is to wonder whether Federer has simply been that good so as nobody could effectively "rival" him Tomo.

Sampras' record at the French was abysmal compared to Fed's, due in no small part to Federer having a much much better game off the ground. Only Nadal has been able to stifle Federer at the French, which says a lot for his all round genius and completeness.

Federer's forehand is probably the greatest the game has ever seen, and his backhand is of a much much higher level than Pete's.

Pete possibly has the greatest serve ever, not so much due to simple speed and ace stats but due to the fact it was so well disguised, hit so close to the lines on a consistent basis, and was invariably dependable under the greatest pressures. Federer's is a fine serve too tho a little behind Pete's.

Sampras would have the better net game, but Federer's is quite good and not needed near as much as Sampras needed his due to his great ground game.

Federer is now regarded by the majority to be the best ever.

My only criticism is his H2H record vs Nadal, but 9 of Nadals 13 wins are on clay. Sampras was hardly going to beat the good claycourters, let alone the best. Still a thorn tho, as Nadal often loses on grass and hardcourt before getting a shot at Fed.

Tomson
1st February 2010, 03:13 PM
Federer's forehand is probably the greatest the game has ever seen, and his backhand is of a much much higher level than Pete's.

Fed's forehand gets away from him a bit, his elbow gets to wide and alittle high not right. Federer has to be on song for his forehand to work to big of a wind up, thats why he either hits winers or sprays his forehand. I watch Murry last night keep hitting to his backhand which is his strength. If you look a Sampras's forehand he keeps it all tight and compact like lendl's, like Agassi. I would rate Agassi forehand over federer's

Backhands are pretty close if you look.

For federer having a one handed backhand he look like he struggles to volley as well.

No one can volley in tennis at the moment, its an art lost with the baseline bashers.

Thought I just might add as well that I have never played tennis, owned a tennis court, never had a parent that was a coach, I have never been to coaching seminars, I have never been coached by a Tennis Australia President and also never played with the Queensland Tennis Squad.

kpac
1st February 2010, 03:26 PM
if feds forehand is poor, then god help everyone!

Tomson
1st February 2010, 03:29 PM
if feds forehand is poor, then god help everyone!

Its not poor, but its not the best forehand the game has ever seen.

AndyP
1st February 2010, 03:37 PM
Personally, I don't rate a player on whether they are the best or not on the dynamics of their swing.

Tomson
1st February 2010, 03:42 PM
I personally rate a player on there swing dynamics.

3oneday
1st February 2010, 03:46 PM
I think it's the science of their swing and centrifugal force of their ability to string together a paragraph that is easy to read yet informative.

;)

goughy
1st February 2010, 04:20 PM
Llendl was the best, and he had the personality to match!!

I loved sampras's forehand.

Nah, this guy is the best ever.
http://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news/article/-/6742690/best-shot-tournament

dhills2
1st February 2010, 04:39 PM
If Fed didn't hit his forehand as described by Tomson I doubt he would be able to create some of those ridiculous angles with his off forehand (which I love). I'd take his over say Tsonga's (mechanics wise) all day every day.

Backhands... I enjoyed watching Agassi's no backswing punch where he would just step in, take it super early and high on the return. Not pretty but super effective in its day. Technically speaking I'd take Henin's (as many would).

Volleying... what's that? Is that the weird looking thing that Rafter used to do? :)

TheNuclearOne
1st February 2010, 11:44 PM
Fed's forehand gets away from him a bit, his elbow gets to wide and alittle high not right. Federer has to be on song for his forehand to work to big of a wind up, thats why he either hits winers or sprays his forehand.

Federer's forehand wanders a little here and there during a match but his winners vs errors off that wing over the course of a full match and tourney is ridiculous. It's sheer dominance over the full course easily covers the odd shank and then some. It's an incredible weapon.

When Borg came on with the big looping backswings he was thought to be doing it all wrong. Later we had Lendl (my fave forehand ever) with the big loop and high elbow and he too was questioned. Turned into the best forehand ever during time.

I watch Murry last night keep hitting to his backhand which is his strength.

Stats have long shown Federer's forehand is well and truly his more effective wing. His superb backhand seduces many into thinking other, but it's the forehand wing that kills you.

If you look a Sampras's forehand he keeps it all tight and compact like lendl's, like Agassi. I would rate Agassi forehand over federer's

Lendl's wasn't very compact. Agassi's yes for sure, and Pete's to an extent. I'd take Federer's forehand over Agassi's for sure, and Lendl too had a better forehand than Andre. Agassi doesn't do near as much damage as Fed.

Tho Sampras has the tighter motion Federer's forehand is much better.

Backhands are pretty close if you look.

Federer's backhand and forehand are much better. This is why Sampras was abysmal on clay compared to other surfaces. He couldn't stay in rallies. His entire game and success was built on the BIG bang, he was very aggressive from the back and looked to keep points short by going for big shots off the forehand and finding his way to net other times.

Pete's groundstrokes very much suited his purpose. If however you took him at his peak vs Federer and made them play from the back Federer would kill him. Under their own means it would be a fascinating series of matches.

For federer having a one handed backhand he look like he struggles to volley as well.

No one can volley in tennis at the moment, its an art lost with the baseline bashers.

Federer is a good volleyer (given the game today how many can you name as better in singles?) but not great like a Sampras, Mac, Rafter or Cash (more recent times.) I totally agree volleying was lost (in singles) a long time back. There are still excellent net players in the doubles, but the bigtime singles players rarely bother with it and it's popularity has therefore diminished.

Thought I just might add as well that I have never played tennis, owned a tennis court, never had a parent that was a coach, I have never been to coaching seminars, I have never been coached by a Tennis Australia President and also never played with the Queensland Tennis Squad.

No worries, you're not doing too bad considering and obviously think about and follow the game.

TheNuclearOne
2nd February 2010, 12:02 AM
If Fed didn't hit his forehand as described by Tomson I doubt he would be able to create some of those ridiculous angles with his off forehand (which I love). I'd take his over say Tsonga's (mechanics wise) all day every day.

Backhands... I enjoyed watching Agassi's no backswing punch where he would just step in, take it super early and high on the return. Not pretty but super effective in its day. Technically speaking I'd take Henin's (as many would).

Volleying... what's that? Is that the weird looking thing that Rafter used to do? :)

Good points. Henin's is the best womens one hander ever and many say it's the most effective ever comparatively male or female.

Agassi's backhand was unreal, taking it earlier than anyone else by a mile with that compact rifle. Up until his day nobody ever returned big serves better. Legend has it his dad used to set up a ball machine at the net pointed into the service box and make him return ball after blistering ball.

Connor's was another in his day, taking the big serves early and whaling away with short flat swings that sometimes had the ball near past the server before they finished their follow though.

What do you think of Gasquet's backhand? What a one hander that is.

Tomson
2nd February 2010, 09:57 AM
Federer's forehand wanders a little here and there during a match but his winners vs errors off that wing over the course of a full match and tourney is ridiculous. It's sheer dominance over the full course easily covers the odd shank and then some. It's an incredible weapon.

Its wanders from time to time is an alittle understated, Its gets to far away from his body, his elbow gets alittle high and that causes it to spray its never really put under much pressure at all. When its put under pressure in a rally it folds. So not its a weapon like other peoples.

When Borg came on with the big looping backswings he was thought to be doing it all wrong. Later we had Lendl (my fave forehand ever) with the big loop and high elbow and he too was questioned. Turned into the best forehand ever during time.

Lendl had a very compact swing I don't know where you get that loop from. Its the forehand I still teach today. Lendl was way ahead of his time in every level of the game. His mental side is what let him down. If he had the likes of brad gilbert on his team I would suspect he would have been alot better.

Stats have long shown Federer's forehand is well and truly his more effective wing. His superb backhand seduces many into thinking other, but it's the forehand wing that kills you.

You can practice something for so long and still make it work, doesn't mean its right. Look at half of the serves on tour with the cut down takeaway. Not right.

Lendl's wasn't very compact. Agassi's yes for sure, and Pete's to an extent. I'd take Federer's forehand over Agassi's for sure, and Lendl too had a better forehand than Andre. Agassi doesn't do near as much damage as Fed.

Agassi forehand is one of the best ever, have alook at half of the players that came out of Bollettieri's they had forehands that were weapons. They had such compact tight swings and hit the ball so early.

Tho Sampras has the tighter motion Federer's forehand is much better.

Sampras still has a better forehand

Federer's backhand and forehand are much better. This is why Sampras was abysmal on clay compared to other surfaces. He couldn't stay in rallies. His entire game and success was built on the BIG bang, he was very aggressive from the back and looked to keep points short by going for big shots off the forehand and finding his way to net other times.

Pete's groundstrokes very much suited his purpose. If however you took him at his peak vs Federer and made them play from the back Federer would kill him. Under their own means it would be a fascinating series of matches.

Sampras was a serve and volleyer that had big groundstrokes as well. The reason he didn't do well on clay was that from the 90's to early 2000 there were a more clay court players, we only have nadal now, but in the 90's you had about 10 players that were deadly on clay not just the one we have now. So how can you compare that. Put Federer in that pool of player would be a different story. Sampras was not that bad of a clay court player just had alot more competition then federer has.

Federer is a good volleyer (given the game today how many can you name as better in singles?) but not great like a Sampras, Mac, Rafter or Cash (more recent times.) I totally agree volleying was lost (in singles) a long time back. There are still excellent net players in the doubles, but the bigtime singles players rarely bother with it and it's popularity has therefore diminished.

Federer is an average volleyer. He had played alittle double early up to make his volleys better. The only reason it doesn't look half bad is that he catches the ball out in front.

No worries, you're not doing too bad considering and obviously think about and follow the game.

Maybe we should have a game one day. Maybe I could show you a few things.

TheNuclearOne
2nd February 2010, 07:50 PM
[QUOTE]Its wanders from time to time is an alittle understated, Its gets to far away from his body, his elbow gets alittle high and that causes it to spray its never really put under much pressure at all. When its put under pressure in a rally it folds. So not its a weapon like other peoples.

Completely disagree, but i think we can agree to disagree on this one.

Lendl had a very compact swing I don't know where you get that loop from. Its the forehand I still teach today. Lendl was way ahead of his time in every level of the game. His mental side is what let him down. If he had the likes of brad gilbert on his team I would suspect he would have been alot better.

Ever come across Kenny Hick or Beaky at your seminars?

Here's a great article, and interestingly Lendl and Federer are bracketed together for style.

I don't think Federers wind up is that much bigger than Pete's, i think it's the fact that he lets his elbow fly away from the body on the forward swing more than the others that stamps the big differences.

Lendl's loop was considered big in his day, but yeah when compared nowadays it comes back to the pack a bit. His elbow gets higher than Sampras and Fed but the fact he keeps the racquet on the same horizontal plane as the arm with no flying raquet head (vertically) disguises it's size somewhat.

Lendl did have enormous mental probs early career and choked a lot, but came back to dominate the game with an iron fist for some time. Gilbert would have helped enormously in the early days, and perhaps to get the monkey of his back per Wimbledon but i think his real trouble there was that he was never ever a natural volleyer no matter how hard he tried, and when the greatest pressure was at the crucial times on his net game failed him. Funny thing is if the courts were as slow and true as they are now he would have surely won this title.

You can practice something for so long and still make it work, doesn't mean its right. Look at half of the serves on tour with the cut down takeaway. Not right.

It's right for him tho, and no-one can argue with results. The prettiest and most technically perfect is not always the best and most effective.

Agassi forehand is one of the best ever, have alook at half of the players that came out of Bollettieri's they had forehands that were weapons. They had such compact tight swings and hit the ball so early.

Bollettieri was the king forehand teacher for a while wasn't he! However his first male hit, Jimmy Arias, while having a sensational forehand had a BIG loop. Later on Aaron Krickstein had another great forehand that was much more compact, but unfortunately these boys had very little else. I've got a fair bit of Nick's gear around, excellent coach.

Sampras still has a better forehand

We'll have to agree to disagree again, and IMO it's not even close. Look at the winner to error stats of both and the two shots shouldn't even be compared.

Sampras was a serve and volleyer that had big groundstrokes as well. The reason he didn't do well on clay was that from the 90's to early 2000 there were a more clay court players, we only have nadal now, but in the 90's you had about 10 players that were deadly on clay not just the one we have now. So how can you compare that. Put Federer in that pool of player would be a different story. Sampras was not that bad of a clay court player just had alot more competition then federer has.

I'm getting the impression you aren't impressed by Federer much at all.

Pete wasn't always beaten by the top talents at the French.

There's plenty of fine clay courters around, but Fed and Nadal are simply better. In fact i believe Nadal is the greatest clay court player ever, the modern prototype if you like. He can smash away and attack from the back while seldom missing a ball. He's beat all the players Pete had to content with and so would Federer IMO. Lendl would be the best match for both i reckon. Wilanders defensive rallying would be whalloped IMO. They are so powerful and aggressive now, while losing little in consistency.

ederer is an average volleyer. He had played alittle double early up to make his volleys better. The only reason it doesn't look half bad is that he catches the ball out in front.

Fair call.

Maybe we should have a game one day. Maybe I could show you a few things.

By the sound of it, i wouldn't even give you an aerobic workout. I was only ITN 4 verging on 3.5 when playing a bit. I had the dinstinct thrill of being wiped off the court by Kochy and an aging Houston a handful or years back when we played in local tournies. By comparison you'd probably hammer them :shock:

Tomson
2nd February 2010, 09:14 PM
I'm glad you agree with me now. Thank you.

TheNuclearOne
2nd February 2010, 10:24 PM
I'm glad you agree with me now. Thank you.

Can't believe i forgot that article link :roll:

http://rjamesyork.blogspot.com/2009/02/forehands-forehands-on-court-who-has.html

Ferrins
2nd February 2010, 10:29 PM
I had Lendl line me up with a forehand pass which I ducked under and the ball hit the backdrop at Milton center court without dropping an inch. I had Agassi line me up and he collected me. So from 1st hand experience I give speed to Lendl and accuracy to Agassi.

TheNuclearOne
2nd February 2010, 11:05 PM
Lendl's favourite trick was smashing practise partners with his huge forehand, had a really warped sense of humour according to an ex Junior world champ i spoke to. Others included getting his numerous attack dogs to bail you up inside the practise courts at his house while he went and started his meals after a long practise session, taking you deep into NY until you were lost on push bike rides then burning you off and leaving you and last but not least trying to hit your dad with tennis balls everytime he turned his back working as your ballboy. One apparently particularly memorable (to Ivan) occasion included hitting him solidly in the nuts LOL

mike
2nd February 2010, 11:18 PM
Wow TNO and Tom, you guys know your tennis.

I've always wondered; why do some players struggle on clay? Uneven bounce?

Ferrins
2nd February 2010, 11:30 PM
Struggling on clay is generally related to inexperience with understanding how to move correctly. This leads to imbalance which makes you work harder to cover the court and also apply enough weight on your shots.

mike
2nd February 2010, 11:33 PM
So it's about your shoes gripping? Kuerten (sp) was always good on clay. Not a big guy. Wouldn't it make sense that the smaller players would be good on clay?

Ferrins
2nd February 2010, 11:43 PM
Gripping on grass but sliding on clay.

TheNuclearOne
2nd February 2010, 11:44 PM
Wow TNO and Tom, you guys know your tennis.

I've always wondered; why do some players struggle on clay? Uneven bounce?

Ferrin makes a great point about movement, and the other big thing is the slowness and bounce of the court. Balls really sit up.

Serve volleyers and net attackers like Mc'Enroe and Sampras had their effectiveness lessened dramatically. Serves sit up and baseliners have time to not only return good serves but often spank them. Same in baseline rallies, it's hard for the attacker to get into net effectively, and the minute they were stuck at the back of the court the baseliners such as Lendl, Wilander, Borg, Bruguera, Muster and Kuerten gained the upper hand.

Tomson
3rd February 2010, 08:20 AM
Can't believe i forgot that article link :roll:

http://rjamesyork.blogspot.com/2009/02/forehands-forehands-on-court-who-has.html

TNO I just read that and it doesn't actually make sense. If you see the photo of lendl and fed side by side you see how compact lendl forehand and how close that elbow is tucked to his side and see how far feds elbow is away. So that guy doesn't really know what he is talking about.

Sorry mate I think that article is alittle off. No offence good to see how you use the internet to look stuff up. :mrgreen:

Courty
3rd February 2010, 06:06 PM
Is it time to poke the bear yet? :p

TheNuclearOne
3rd February 2010, 07:09 PM
TNO I just read that and it doesn't actually make sense. If you see the photo of lendl and fed side by side you see how compact lendl forehand and how close that elbow is tucked to his side and see how far feds elbow is away. So that guy doesn't really know what he is talking about.

Sorry mate I think that article is alittle off. No offence good to see how you use the internet to look stuff up. :mrgreen:

The article is more about the grip and type of shot they hit than claiming they are mirror images technically. Lendl and Federer both use a lot of top yet still hit the ball with blistering speed. It's a good article considering the enormous challenge he took on. You'll also see Nadal has an extended arm vs his sidekick tho they are in the same bracket.

I've got more tennis shit (books, vids, match dvd's, mags etc) here than you would believe but can't be arsed scanning articles and cutting dvd's. Lendl's my fave ever and i would have a few dozen of his matches and countless hours of extended highlights.

Wouldn't mind that game for a laff and experience tho, you're in NQ?

Tomson
3rd February 2010, 07:17 PM
The article is more about the grip and type of shot they hit than claiming they are mirror images technically. Lendl and Federer both use a lot of top yet still hit the ball with blistering speed. It's a good article considering the enormous challenge he took on. You'll also see Nadal has an extended arm vs his sidekick tho they are in the same bracket.

I've got more tennis shit (books, vids, match dvd's, mags etc) here than you would believe but can't be arsed scanning articles and cutting dvd's. Lendl's my fave ever and i would have a few dozen of his matches and countless hours of extended highlights.

Wouldn't mind that game for a laff and experience tho, you're in NQ?

I would be really happy for you to make up some articles and dvd's to show me where I am going wrong. The article you put up before is still off the mark though.

You mentioned something about Ken Hick before did you get lessons from him? I remeber him from the gladestone players.

I'm up for a game anytime maybe I could show you in person what we have been discussing on here. I'm in FNQ as well anytime you're up here.

TheNuclearOne
3rd February 2010, 11:04 PM
I would be really happy for you to make up some articles and dvd's to show me where I am going wrong. The article you put up before is still off the mark though.

You mentioned something about Ken Hick before did you get lessons from him? I remember him from the Gladstone players.

I'm up for a game anytime maybe I could show you in person what we have been discussing on here. I'm in FNQ as well anytime you're up here.

I'll scour around online the next couple of days and try to find a couple of pic series i am after.

Got a lesson off Ken about 5 years ago when i was still playing, very fine coach and has turned out a few decent players. A real stroke technician. I was actually getting my right foot too far forward on open stance forehands, wasn't leaning into slice backhands and was a bit flicky on the topspin backhand.

I'd appreciate a game if i ever get there. I lived in Charters Towers for years and have a cousin in Townsville. Much appreciate the offer Tomo.

Tomson
4th February 2010, 05:52 AM
I'll scour around online the next couple of days and try to find a couple of pic series i am after.

Got a lesson off Ken about 5 years ago when i was still playing, very fine coach and has turned out a few decent players. A real stroke technician. I was actually getting my right foot too far forward on open stance forehands, wasn't leaning into slice backhands and was a bit flicky on the topspin backhand.

I'd appreciate a game if i ever get there. I lived in Charters Towers for years and have a cousin in Townsville. Much appreciate the offer Tomo.

Excellent let me know if you want me to point you in the direction of a few people that can help you with your information that you seek.

Never saw Ken coach so I can't comment if he was a real stroke technican.

What level coach are you TNO?

TheNuclearOne
4th February 2010, 06:00 PM
Excellent let me know if you want me to point you in the direction of a few people that can help you with your information that you seek.

Never saw Ken coach so I can't comment if he was a real stroke technican.

What level coach are you TNO?

See how i go over the weekend mate.

He is indeed, but of course there's nothing like personal experience.

No level here, just lived and breathed tennis for various life periods. Had the chance about 6 years ago to take it up but didn't want to hold down two jobs.

Tomson
4th February 2010, 08:26 PM
See how i go over the weekend mate.

He is indeed, but of course there's nothing like personal experience.

No level here, just lived and breathed tennis for various life periods. Had the chance about 6 years ago to take it up but didn't want to hold down two jobs.

I was a coach, my dad is still a coach so I do have a background in it. We used to own a court until 6 years ago and thats when I stopped it was to hard to organise courts.

I trained at Coops, and also had the privilige of doing some time with the former Tennis Aust Director of Coaching & President.

My dad was a coach before I was born so I think from the first time I could hold a racquet I started to learn. 30 years later I still love the game. So nothing like a bit of personal experience there.

So I'm looking forward to you showing me something I don't.

TheNuclearOne
4th February 2010, 10:54 PM
I was a coach, my dad is still a coach so I do have a background in it. We used to own a court until 6 years ago and thats when I stopped it was to hard to organise courts.

I trained at Coops, and also had the privilige of doing some time with the former Tennis Aust Director of Coaching & President.

My dad was a coach before I was born so I think from the first time I could hold a racquet I started to learn. 30 years later I still love the game. So nothing like a bit of personal experience there.

So I'm looking forward to you showing me something I don't.

Great background, and kudo's for that. Very impressive.

Stats still prove however that Federer's forehand is more effective than his backhand. Day in day out it gets the job done over the course of a match and a Tourney. While it's technicalities are open to personal interpretation it's effectiveness isn't. It will also overshadow both Agassi's and Sampras' where it counts.

You actually said it's "not a weapon like other peoples", well many see it as better. John McEnroe called it the "greatest shot in our sport", and the best forehand ever.

Rare is the match that it doesn't get the job done in. Rarely if ever has such a mixture of cracking pace and wicked topspin been seen.

He's quite possibly a once in a lifetime player.

Tomson
5th February 2010, 06:52 AM
Great background, and kudo's for that. Very impressive.

Stats still prove however that Federer's forehand is more effective than his backhand. Day in day out it gets the job done over the course of a match and a Tourney. While it's technicalities are open to personal interpretation it's effectiveness isn't. It will also overshadow both Agassi's and Sampras' where it counts.

You actually said it's "not a weapon like other peoples", well many see it as better. John McEnroe called it the "greatest shot in our sport", and the best forehand ever.

Rare is the match that it doesn't get the job done in. Rarely if ever has such a mixture of cracking pace and wicked topspin been seen.

He's quite possibly a once in a lifetime player.

His forehand is still not technically correct.

TheNuclearOne
5th February 2010, 07:28 AM
His forehand is still not technically correct.

More in the forward swing than the backswing tho. Would we agree there?

Tomson
5th February 2010, 07:42 AM
The backswing is the problem. The forward part is what saves it everytime. See how high he gets the racquet, big tick on that.

If you get the chance have a look a fernando gonzalez forehand, very nice.

TheNuclearOne
5th February 2010, 06:39 PM
Fernando has one of the highest windups i have ever seen. Incredible power from it and one of the great forehands for sure.

lFibX-inICg&feature=related

In this clip we can see Fed has a much lower loop on the backswing. Incredible raqcuet head speed as well.

3TnUOKP88MI

TheNuclearOne
5th February 2010, 06:42 PM
Some incredible Fed forehands

yDrFuQSLcPc

Tomson
5th February 2010, 07:28 PM
TNO, Those videos show how far feds elbow gets away from his body. Not something that I would teach kids. I think that all the great forehands even Gonzalez you see the elbow tucked in, even if the wind up is alittle big the elbow is still tucked in on impact. You can also see on a couple of feds forehands when he gets close to the net he seem to wrap his follow through round his body instead of getting that follow through high.

Cheers on the video's that shows my point.

BrisWesty
5th February 2010, 09:16 PM
Bradman supposedly wasn't a technically correct batsman but seemed to go alright.

I don't understand all the intricacies of this thread but can't we celebrate diversity in styles? Without being a tennis expert my questions would be regarding any player:
Does the technique work?
Is it repeatable?
Is it effective?
Is it going to make the player more prone to injury?
Will the player be able to play at their best with this technique?

(Probably can ask those questions about any sport.)

Tomson
5th February 2010, 09:30 PM
Thats a good point briswesty. If you practice something often enough you can make it look good. Only the pundits would know if its right or wrong.

I just find it alittle hard to see from a "technical" point of view people saying that Federer's forehand is the best the game has seen when there have been so many more forehands that have been more technically correct.

I think Federer is "one" of the greatest players ever to grace a court, but I find it had to say he is the best when so many other factors play a part of being the best player ever. I could not even give you an answer to the question "who is the greatest player ever" as I think that there has been so many great players to play this wonderful game.

Enough of this tennis talk lets get back to golf.

TheNuclearOne
6th February 2010, 01:40 PM
TNO, Those videos show how far feds elbow gets away from his body. Not something that I would teach kids.

On the forward swing.

I think that all the great forehands even Gonzalez you see the elbow tucked in, even if the wind up is alittle big the elbow is still tucked in on impact.

Gonzalez has a MUCH bigger windup then Federer. I think we might now agree that Fed's backswing is quite fine. It's reasonably compact really.

I 100% agree he hits the ball further from his body with the flying elbow than is modern convention. It would not be the model for teaching, certainly not on the forward swing. No debate there. Strangely enough Nadal is also very similar.

You can also see on a couple of feds forehands when he gets close to the net he seem to wrap his follow through round his body instead of getting that follow through high.

Would you say Fernando does similar in the video above? Those shots of Fed's were going for winners, but i follow your point - not technically perfect. Fair call.

Cheers on the video's that shows my point.

They show a lot of mine too. I think we're actually close to being in the same boat on the technical side now.

Tomson
6th February 2010, 02:43 PM
Gonzalez does have a bigger wind up but watch it when he comes through the elbow is tucked in that is something I teach and is technically correct. Federer doesn't keep that elbow tucked in on the back swing or follow through. His swing is alittle smaller but not compact, I call lendl/ Sampras forehand compact. You see gonzalez has a much higher follow through then federer sorry I have to disagree with you there. As long as you say federer's forehand isn't the best ever we can agree :)

dhills2
6th February 2010, 02:46 PM
What do you think of Gasquet's backhand? What a one hander that is.

Stunning. Beautiful to watch. Easily one of the best on tour if he is playing well.

BrisWesty
6th February 2010, 03:50 PM
dhills, have you got a narwhal on your avatar?

TheNuclearOne
6th February 2010, 08:07 PM
Stunning. Beautiful to watch. Easily one of the best on tour if he is playing well.

For sure. I also like the Haas backhand a lot. Henin's on the womens side is just thee backhand for a one hander.

TheNuclearOne
6th February 2010, 08:25 PM
Gonzalez does have a bigger wind up but watch it when he comes through the elbow is tucked in that is something I teach and is technically correct. Federer doesn't keep that elbow tucked in on the back swing or follow through. His swing is alittle smaller but not compact, I call lendl/ Sampras forehand compact. You see gonzalez has a much higher follow through then federer sorry I have to disagree with you there. As long as you say federer's forehand isn't the best ever we can agree :)

Gonzalez doesn't keep the elbow tucked in whatsoever on the backswing. Federer is actually lower and tighter (more compact) than Gonzo's on the windup.

Agreed Gonzo is textbook thru impact with the tucked elbow.

In the two single forehand vids i gave Fed follows thru above his left shoulder while Gonzo finishes below his. It's there on the vid. Granted Gonz is returning a slightly higher ball and this is a one off shot for each.

Federer's forehand isn't the best ever technically, but effectiveness wise (where it counts) it's another matter entirely. McEnroe is just one of many who believes it's the best.

I like Blake's for technique quite a lot. Really compact yet so powerful.

z3UDZC0rprM

Tomson
6th February 2010, 08:31 PM
Gonzalez doesn't keep the elbow tucked in whatsoever on the backswing. Federer is actually lower and tighter (more compact) than Gonzo's on the windup.

Agreed Gonzo is textbook thru impact with the tucked elbow.

In the two single forehand vids i gave Fed follows thru above his left shoulder while Gonzo finishes below his. It's there on the vid. Granted Gonz is returning a slightly higher ball and this is a one off shot for each.

Federer's forehand isn't the best ever technically, but effectiveness wise (where it counts) it's another matter entirely. McEnroe is just one of many who believes it's the best.

I like Blake's for technique quite a lot. Really compact yet so powerful.

Yes gonzo doesn't keep it tucked in but he gets his elbow high which is good. Then gets his elbow tucked in on impact. Big tick.

Gonzo might end low but gets alot higher then fed does.

I really think that the players haven't really exploited it. I think you might find someone will do this, I don't know who.

TheNuclearOne
6th February 2010, 08:38 PM
It's probably a bit late to start exploiting it now given he owns 16 grand slams. He's on the downslide now, tho he's had a decent lease of life the last 12 months. Who would be your model one and two handed backhands (either sex) for coaching kids?

dhills2
6th February 2010, 09:38 PM
dhills, have you got a narwhal on your avatar?

Could be. Could also be a dugong that has taped a foil to his forehead. Open to interpretation I guess. :D

Tomson
7th February 2010, 05:18 PM
It's probably a bit late to start exploiting it now given he owns 16 grand slams. He's on the downslide now, tho he's had a decent lease of life the last 12 months. Who would be your model one and two handed backhands (either sex) for coaching kids?

I don't know if feds on the downslide thats another big call, thanks due to the likes of agassi players can play well into there 30's injury pending. I think unless another few serious contenders come along I think he might have another 2-3 years in him, I would not be suprised if this is his grandslam year, I know I know big call but I reckon he could do it.

I like to think I don't model a swing of just one forehand or backhand. I like to show backswings and followthroughs of players that are technically correct and show students what to look for.

Thats what my coaches did to me and I thought that was a good way to teach. Again I was very lucky to have some very good coaches teach me.

TheNuclearOne
8th February 2010, 12:10 AM
I don't know if feds on the downslide thats another big call, thanks due to the likes of agassi players can play well into there 30's injury pending. I think unless another few serious contenders come along I think he might have another 2-3 years in him, I would not be suprised if this is his grandslam year, I know I know big call but I reckon he could do it.

He'd have to be post peak. You're right, his brilliance and the lack of an apparent heir will have him sitting nice for another few years.

Interesting comment on the grand slam. His biggest hurdle (Nadal at the French) has been struggling a bit with injury and Fed may well get lucky there. It would be interesting how he would handle the incredible pressure if he got to the U.S. Open unbeaten in majors. The interest generated would be frightening, and not just around tennis circles. I hope you're right. It's certainly a chance.

I like to think I don't model a swing of just one forehand or backhand. I like to show backswings and followthroughs of players that are technically correct and show students what to look for.

Good point. Given a few rules of thumb their own style will evolve.

Thats what my coaches did to me and I thought that was a good way to teach. Again I was very lucky to have some very good coaches teach me.

Great call. What one handed backhands do you think stand out? I like Haas and Gasquet, tho Richard's super high backswing is anything but textbook. The Haas backhand is very pure.

Tomson
8th February 2010, 10:26 AM
I think he is at his peak now, how long he will stay there is another thing, you would also have to say how long does he want to be there playing. You never know he might just lose interest tomorrow and retire, which I hope he doesn't.

You like you're backhands don't you. I used to show people that wanted to learn a good slice back hand was to look at steffi grafs, her drive backhand wasn't anyting flash or good, but her slice was really good, keeping the the elbow tucked in, kept her wrist out of it and great follow through.

TheNuclearOne
8th February 2010, 07:14 PM
I think he is at his peak now, how long he will stay there is another thing, you would also have to say how long does he want to be there playing. You never know he might just lose interest tomorrow and retire, which I hope he doesn't.

Fair enough mate. He's pretty driven to extend his grand slam record i reckon.

You like you're backhands don't you. I used to show people that wanted to learn a good slice back hand was to look at steffi grafs, her drive backhand wasn't anyting flash or good, but her slice was really good, keeping the the elbow tucked in, kept her wrist out of it and great follow through.

Yeah, the backhand never came naturally to me where as my topspin forehand was quite decent and came naturally. Was always looking to shore up the backhand wing tho. I was never quite happy with it.

Graf had the best slice backhand in mens or womens tennis for many years, what a great choice. She did have her moments on the drive, but it was never very natural for her. I think i remember her starting to come over it on returns and passes at Wimbledon vs Navratilova because Martina's great serve and volleying handled the slice very well.

goughy
3rd June 2010, 07:10 AM
Well **** me if Stosur didn't beat Serina las night!!!! Hennin and Serina in consecutive matches - bet that doesn't happen often. Go you good thing. She came in ranked 7th in the world I think. I reckon she'll finish this tourney ranked 4th....

razaar
3rd June 2010, 07:27 AM
Lets hope she can go on and win it. Fantastic effort so far....go Sammie!!!

3oneday
3rd June 2010, 07:30 AM
Nice kiss fellas.

:)

AndyP
3rd June 2010, 07:53 AM
Fairweather fans.

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/15993-Things-you-like.?p=486847&viewfull=1#post486847

And now I'm bloody tired.

I reckon she'll finish this tourney ranked 4th....
Why? She hasn't gained any points from last year's French Open yet.

TheTrueReview
3rd June 2010, 08:04 AM
Great win by Sammie. In that final set she just hung on, hung on, and hung on until her opportunity finally came. Williams threw everything at her. Hopefully Williams won't come out with a dodgy excuse for losing.

AndyP
3rd June 2010, 11:17 AM
Hopefully Williams won't come out with a dodgy excuse for losing.She was very gracious in defeat. :roll:

"It was my match and I lost it. That's basically what happened," she told reporters.
"She's a good player but I made so many errors and I definitely was nowhere near my best today."

PeteyD
3rd June 2010, 01:50 PM
She is world #1, losing is a shock. How/where do you watch the feed AP?

AndyP
3rd June 2010, 01:56 PM
She is world #1, losing is a shock. How/where do you watch the feed AP?A lot of the justin.tv pages just had dodgy links, so I went to atdhe.net. They had an ESPN feed with Pommy commentators. I needed to do refreshes on it often though, which got worse towards the end of the match. I cracked the shits with it, and found a justin.tv feed with French commentary. So I got to watch the tennis and learn some French.

PeteyD
3rd June 2010, 01:58 PM
stupid foxhel. I might give it a go. When is the semi being played?

AndyP
3rd June 2010, 02:11 PM
It was fortunate that last night's match was first on court (2pm frog time, 10pm ours). I just checked and it's the second match on court tonight (somewhere in the midnight to 1am area). Hmmm, I should have a nap at my desk now.

TheTrueReview
3rd June 2010, 03:30 PM
She was very gracious in defeat. :roll:

"It was my match and I lost it. That's basically what happened," she told reporters.
"She's a good player but I made so many errors and I definitely was nowhere near my best today."

That's a perfect example of why I dislike the Williams' sisters so much. In their minds, they're never beaten by a better player on the day. There's always an excuse. Navratilova was another one. I recall after she lost a match in the 80s, she blamed the loss on picking up a bug from peanuts that a monkey had urinated on. Clever monkey.

AndyP
3rd June 2010, 04:20 PM
Sam will be live on Ch 9.
Giddy up!

http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageId=11478&HandlerId=2&archive=false&newsid=7240

PeteyD
3rd June 2010, 04:24 PM
Gonna have to stay up now.

AndyP
3rd June 2010, 04:26 PM
If Fred Stolle is commentating, I may go back to the French feed.

sms316
3rd June 2010, 04:27 PM
Stosur is one very fit looking woman indeed. No hail damage on those hamstrings.

Jarro
3rd June 2010, 04:29 PM
Stosur is one very fit looking woman indeed. No hail damage on those hamstrings.

I'll say :shock:

I watched her match against Hennin and was genuinely surprised at her physique and power ... very impressive !

henno
3rd June 2010, 04:29 PM

She's no Karrie Webb though.

sms316
3rd June 2010, 04:30 PM
She's no Karrie Webb though.

Damn straight! Excuse me whilst I go and have a private moment.

AndyP
4th June 2010, 12:37 AM
Just give up, Jankovic. Some of us need sleep.

I think Schiavone is a better opponent for Sam in the final, since she won't have played a grand slam final before either.

MegaWatty
4th June 2010, 12:46 AM
All over her like a cheap suit. I thought it was going to be a late night!!,

AndyP
4th June 2010, 12:51 AM
Woop!

Very well done indeed.

MegaWatty
4th June 2010, 12:54 AM
Clinical.

TheNuclearOne
4th June 2010, 01:05 AM
Overwhelming display, and such calm. Her record vs Schiavone is superb too. Corona's and Bourbons and a hoarse throat are in order Sat night.

PeteyD
4th June 2010, 08:02 AM
Crushed. Great win. Glad I stayed up, and glad Dementalwoman hurt herself and got the game on earlier :D

Eag's
4th June 2010, 08:52 AM
Our last woman's Grand Slam winner was over 30 years ago, surely we are due :)

Moe Norman
4th June 2010, 09:29 AM
has sms already pointed out that Stosur would most certainly be strong in the ?

TheNuclearOne
4th June 2010, 10:15 AM
Socceroos are playing at 10pm on Sat nite too in a friendly against the seppo's.....should be a big night !
Go Sammy.

Thanks for the heads up. It's looming as a very sweet night.

sms316
4th June 2010, 10:18 AM
has sms already pointed out that Stosur would most certainly be strong in the ?

Goes without saying.

Appears that a hand shandy would be fraught with danger too.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2795/stosur.jpg (http://img163.imageshack.us/i/stosur.jpg/)

dhills2
4th June 2010, 10:33 AM
I wish I had guns like that... can't wait for Saturday ;)

AndyP
5th June 2010, 11:06 PM
If Fred Stolle is commentating, I may go back to the French feed.Oh no!

TheTrueReview
5th June 2010, 11:13 PM
Go Sammie. Hopefully she can beat Cacciatore or whatever her name is.

Choppa
6th June 2010, 12:01 AM
She's struggling.

LeftyHoges
6th June 2010, 12:02 AM
Isn't there a way to shut that Italian bitch up. She's frickin grunting on chipped volleys and little sliced backhands. Surely they have to draw the line somewhere.

LarryLong
6th June 2010, 12:19 AM
What a bunch of doubting Thomases you guys are. :)

Stosur breaks and looks to be on the way to 3-1 in the second. I watched a bit of the first set with the sound down, which sounds like it could make the game more enjoyable. They really have to stamp out the manly grunting, not to mention the long waits between points. She's more annoying than Mary Pierce used to be.

AndyP
6th June 2010, 12:55 AM
That was a letdown.

Schiavone really attacked for that win. Stosur never got going, or wasn't allowed to.

3oneday
6th June 2010, 12:56 AM
The Iti didn't miss much, very solid.

goughy
6th June 2010, 12:57 AM
Played her final in the last 3 matches. Didn't quite look like she was there, and once she'd missed those few volleys she really didn't seem to want to move to the front of the court. Still think she'll get another shot. Well done Skiavone, that tie breaker was played well.

LeftyHoges
6th June 2010, 01:20 AM
Not the result it shouldve been but fair win to schiavone. Funnily enough, I firmly believe Stosur played the better tennis in the first set, especially early on, but failed to capitilise on the break points and the other girl only got one chance and took it.

Strange game in that sense. Could've just as easily been Stosur's first set and then held on to her break in the second. Game over.

TheNuclearOne
6th June 2010, 01:40 AM
Italy just too good tonight. Sammy had her chances but Schiavone was just too good when it counted. Did she lose a point at the net?

Jarro
6th June 2010, 04:14 AM
I think Sam might've played her final a couple of games ago.

Beating the gorilla was just icing on the cake

goughy
6th June 2010, 10:03 AM
She seemed to make a lot of unforced errors, and also some poor shots giving 'what's her face' an opening. She seemed to spend a lot of time trying to run around her backhand to play forehands then not hit the screaming winner or even force her into a spot, opening it up for a return winner. Her net play really surprised me since she comes from a top doubles background. Nerves maybe?

henno
6th June 2010, 10:06 AM
Womens tennis is shit. I only got home in time to watch it from 4-1 in the second set and some of the tennis was terrible. Unforced errors everywhere, and barely any "winners". The tie break was the only good bit of tennis for the whole set; "Whats her face" played good when it mattered.

sms316
6th June 2010, 10:12 AM
Is it dirty to have put down $50 on the wog?

Tongueboy
6th June 2010, 10:22 AM
no. stosur had the weight of the nation and an impending phone call from krudd so the wog was a special.

what she pay?

sms316
6th June 2010, 10:39 AM
$4.90

Tongueboy
6th June 2010, 10:41 AM
good pick up

PeteyD
6th June 2010, 10:56 AM
no. stosur had the weight of the nation and an impending phone call from krudd so the wog was a special.

what she pay?

The truth comes out!! No one wants that phone call. Italian passion wins out. Not sure she will get another shot at a Grand Slam, but Stosur surely will.

goughy
6th June 2010, 12:39 PM
Is it dirty to have put down $50 on the wog?

Considering the result; No! My BIL is an avid Broncos supporter, and will pick them in his tipping comp, but at the TAB he'll put his money on the other side if prudent.

Ferrins
6th June 2010, 05:18 PM
Stosur had her chance to take control of the match at 4/2 in the second but instead of bringing out the driver she used a 4 iron. Rolled a couple of woeful first serves in which the Italian bird jumped on, game over right there. GHEY PLAY

PeteyD
6th June 2010, 07:52 PM
Yea pretty much. I thought the Italian girl was in trouble and slowing down then, and she let her back in when she should of smashed her.

TheTrueReview
6th June 2010, 08:43 PM
Stosur had her chance to take control of the match at 4/2 in the second ..... Rolled a couple of woeful first serves in which the Italian bird jumped on, game over right there. ...

Yep, but Stosur was down on first serve percentages at that point & that hurt. She also fluffed a couple at the net, lost her confidence, stayed back after that & played into the Italian's hands.

Ferrins
6th June 2010, 08:56 PM
If Stosur ditched her crappy slice backhand and hit only two fisted backhands then the Italian chick would have stuggled to get in to the net. The basic stategy is to approach deep down the line and cover the line. When you approach cross court then you are too venerable to the down the line pass. If the Italian chick tried that cross court approach to Agassi, I doubt she would win one point in a hundred.

grandmasterb
6th June 2010, 10:18 PM
Even though she lost it was a stellar effort all week to make it to the finals and im sure that we will be seeing her there again very soon.

Tomson
7th June 2010, 09:33 AM
You hit the nail on the head ferrins.

sms316
8th June 2010, 09:20 AM
You hit the nail on the head ferrins.

Ferrins should be a tennis coach.

PeteyD
8th June 2010, 09:24 AM
Yea, his time is wasted playing golf.

Tomson
8th June 2010, 02:51 PM
Ferrins should be a tennis coach.

He should be a tennis coach... ;)

KristianJ
14th June 2010, 09:14 AM
Good win by Lleyton overnight - first one against Roger since the epic Davis Cup match in Melbourne in 03:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27266511-5018898,00.html

AndyP
14th June 2010, 09:35 AM
It might be more of an indication of Roger's current bad form patch, but well done by Lleyton. He might be able to get himself back into the top 10 if he can stay injury free. He has a great record in grand slams.

TheNuclearOne
14th June 2010, 10:19 AM
I bet Hewitt is relieved he finally beat him again. It was getting a bit like groundhog day head to head. I'll give him his due, everytime he faced him again he came in with positive comments and plans.

AndyP
21st June 2010, 11:30 PM
Federer is two sets down against a relative nobody. ****!

henno
21st June 2010, 11:34 PM
He's a rank amateur has-been. Write him off.

AndyP
24th June 2010, 08:21 AM
Mahut - Isner 4-6 6-3 7-6 6-7 59-59

Longest. Match. Ever.
Just the last set would make it the longest match.

7 hours for the last set, so far.
10 hours for the whole match.

How can someone not get a two game lead in that time?
Whoever loses will be shattered. And the winner will be too stuffed to play well in his next match.

terrys
24th June 2010, 08:55 AM
Amazing. they will be rooted. I also didn't realise that the match has been over two days and now will be into a third.

Ferrins
24th June 2010, 09:08 AM
Two guys get together before the match at Wimbledon and work out that this could be their chance at fame. By prolonging the match they break numerous records that will possibly lead to the end of the advantage set. At 76 all or whatever they play for real. This scenario has been discussed before over beers with other pro's through the years.

AndyP
24th June 2010, 09:41 AM
You don't like the advantage set, Ferrins?

Ferrins
24th June 2010, 10:17 AM
It's just weird that in tennis there is technically,a possible no end scenario. The same applies to a Tiebreak.

goughy
24th June 2010, 10:28 AM
I guess the more tired you get the harder it is to break through the advantage the server has. Honestly, match would be getting boring.

AndyP
24th June 2010, 10:29 AM
Ferrin, why does your signature link to the NAB?

Yossarian
24th June 2010, 03:17 PM
this match over yet?

kpac
24th June 2010, 03:25 PM
Concur, i saw this this morning.... i recon it's bullshut, these two are taking us for a ride, for a shot a fame and to make a point.

AndyP
24th June 2010, 03:52 PM
So you watched and noticed that they were tanking points?

AndyP
24th June 2010, 04:07 PM
Here's an amusing blog:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jun/23/wimbledon-2010-tennis-live

sms316
24th June 2010, 04:29 PM
Here's an amusing blog:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jun/23/wimbledon-2010-tennis-live

Nice pick up.

4.50pm: It's over. It's finally over. It was a long, hard match and it took its toll on the players. But finally, at long last, we have a result.

I'm actually talking about the football here. England win 1-0 against Slovenia to go through to the knock-out stage. The Isner-Mahut match is still ongoing: 24-24 in the final set. Isner's leg has just dropped off.

6pm: The score stands at 34-34. In order to stay upright and keep their strength, John Isner and Nicolas Mahut have now started eating members of the audience.

7.30pm: Let it end, let it end, it's 46-all. It was funny when it was 16-all and it was creepy when it was 26-all. But this is pure purgatory and there is still no end in sight.

9.10pm: Is it over? It is not over. For a brief moment back then, I thought it was over. Isner clambers to match point on Mahut's serve. Mahut steps forward and saves it with his 95th ace. It's 59-59.

Mahut wants to come off now; the light is almost gone. But the official orders the pair to play two more games. "We want more! We want more!" chant the survivors on Court 18. I'm taking this as proof that they have gone insane.

:lol:

kpac
24th June 2010, 07:34 PM
So you watched and noticed that they were tanking points?

Coverage of these numpties only started properly late (lol) in the 5th..... at that stage they were both soo rooted, 'tanking' was not necessary, they were both playing meagre tennis, and playing game for game became pretty easy to make look legit..... In their defence there was certainly nothing that suggested it was staged on the court....

1 of them wanted to continue even in bad light.... clearly delusional!

AndyP
24th June 2010, 11:50 PM
They definitely looked like they were trying in that fifth set. At least after 46-all anyway.

Ferrins
25th June 2010, 12:04 AM
Ferrin, why does your signature link to the NAB?
Stealth advertising

AndyP
25th June 2010, 01:20 AM
65-64. Boooooooring. One more game, then I'm out of here.

3oneday
25th June 2010, 07:49 AM
70-68 I believe, sounds like an NRL Toyota Cup match, or a Gayfl game.

mike
6th September 2010, 03:39 PM
Great win by Sam Stosur.
I wish I had shoulders like that.

solarman
6th September 2010, 04:19 PM
It's tennis, tell someone who cares. I suppose its better than soccer though.
90 minutes for about 5 kicks at goal and then its a draw. Should be banned from the planet

mike
6th September 2010, 04:24 PM
As I said good win by Sam but why is he playing against the chicks?

mike
6th September 2010, 04:24 PM
It's tennis, tell someone who cares. I suppose its better than soccer though.
90 minutes for about 5 kicks at goal and then its a draw. Should be banned from the planetSoccer is a great sport. Basketball is a yawnfest.

solarman
6th September 2010, 04:30 PM
Soccer is a great sport. Basketball is a yawnfest.

Now now that's a bit rough.

BTW Been playing with Greg lately? How's he playing?

mike
6th September 2010, 04:50 PM
We had a game a few weeks ago. He chopped it a bit. Hits it a long way but not in the direction he wants. His game is not that dissimilar to your own.

:lol:

AndyP
6th September 2010, 05:05 PM
I had written Sam off. I started watching a live stream at the start of the second set, saw her lose that then get about 4-1 down in the third before I had to pick up the kids. I was very surprised to be able to watch her win the tie breaker.

TheTrueReview
6th September 2010, 05:06 PM
Great win by Sammy. Fought her way out of 4 match-points to get to the tie breaker. The Russian chick (Dementieva) couldn't handle the pace in the tiebreaker.

PeteyD
30th January 2011, 07:43 PM
Go Virge!! Beat that Murray fellow.

AndyP
30th January 2011, 08:12 PM
I don't know who to go for.
I don't want to go for the sook that gets coaching from his box, but I'd like to see Great Britain's pain in tennis continue.

I don't think I've connected with this year's tournament after being away for the first week of it.

Bruce
30th January 2011, 08:40 PM
Djokovic to pull a heart muscle if he drops the first set.

LarryLong
30th January 2011, 08:46 PM
I'll barrack for Murray if he shouts "Just stop bouncin' the fookin' ball and serve it" at Djokovic at some stage tonight.

I actually went to the tennis for the first time ever this year. I think it's a little over-rated, to be honest.

Tongueboy
31st January 2011, 10:53 AM
great game to play but **** it is boring to watch. just like golf I suppose

TheNuclearOne
31st January 2011, 02:07 PM
By far the best matches were prior to the final and the womens final. Murray now has to shake of the tag of being Grand Slam Finals choker. He's not won a set in three finals and the media are right on it LOL

AndyP
27th June 2011, 09:25 PM
Tomic is making it look so easy. He flogged Soderling and is now sticking it to Malisse (4-0 up) early on.

edit: Getting a bit of help from the lines people too.

AndyP
27th June 2011, 10:34 PM
Smashed him in 81 minutes. Wow!

kingslayer33
27th June 2011, 10:45 PM
Smashed him in 81 minutes. Wow!

Geez I thought he was a chance but the wily vet would hang in to win in 5. That, my good sir, is a caning.

Ferrins
1st July 2011, 08:42 PM
I hope Tsonga and Murray win tonight, should be two great matches.

TheTrueReview
1st July 2011, 08:57 PM
I hope Tsonga and Murray win tonight, should be two great matches.

Good idea. That way the Fed Express wouldn't slide too far behind Nadal & Djokovic in the rankings.

Ferrins
1st July 2011, 09:04 PM
He'll have to watch out for guys coming up his rear.

Ferrins
1st July 2011, 11:54 PM
Let's see if the big fella can pull another rabbit out of the hat.

AndyP
2nd July 2011, 12:24 AM
Is Djokovic guaranteed no 1 yet or only if Nadal doesn't win the tournament?

Ferrins
2nd July 2011, 07:47 AM
No 1 next Monday when the new ranking come out no matter what.

AndyP
2nd July 2011, 10:34 AM
He deserves it.

TheTrueReview
2nd July 2011, 01:19 PM

F'ing stupid Federer for taking his foot off Tsonga's throat. He cleaned up Djokovic in the semis of the French. So instead of dispensing with Djokovic & squaring up with Nadal in the Wimbledon final, he's headed in the direction of Lleyton Hewitt. :roll:

LarryLong
2nd July 2011, 01:39 PM
I'm finding it hard to watch tennis and not get really annoyed by the players constantly making the ball kids give them a towel between points. I think they should never have allowed this. They almost look like slaves. It's bad enough to see the poor kids getting glared at by grumpy players when they throw them a slightly used ball, now they are forced to walk up to them and stand there timidly while the grumpy player snatches a towel off them, has a little dab here and there while muttering, and then throws it back at them with a glare. It really is shithouse.

I don't have memories of this happening in Pat Rafter's time - when did this become acceptable?

In ten years time the players will just throw their racquets at the ball kids and expect them to dry off the handle for them.

TheNuclearOne
2nd July 2011, 08:41 PM
F'ing stupid Federer for taking his foot off Tsonga's throat.

Federer never takes his foot off their throat when up two sets to one. He was 178-0 in matches in a Major where he had won the first two sets - never beaten. As great as he is it had to happen eventually, and after he powered his way back into it Tsonga played many levels above what he had been.

BrisWesty
3rd July 2011, 02:06 PM
Well done Kvitova.

Jarro
3rd July 2011, 02:52 PM
Thank **** the grunter didn't win :roll:

She should be banned for making such ridiculous noises on the court !!!

AndyP
3rd July 2011, 03:00 PM
Is "grunter" a racist term?

Jarro
3rd July 2011, 03:01 PM
probably.

Hit the dob button

Ferrins
3rd July 2011, 03:07 PM
I'm finding it hard to watch tennis and not get really annoyed by the players constantly making the ball kids give them a towel between points. I think they should never have allowed this. They almost look like slaves. It's bad enough to see the poor kids getting glared at by grumpy players when they throw them a slightly used ball, now they are forced to walk up to them and stand there timidly while the grumpy player snatches a towel off them, has a little dab here and there while muttering, and then throws it back at them with a glare. It really is shithouse.

I don't have memories of this happening in Pat Rafter's time - when did this become acceptable?

In ten years time the players will just throw their racquets at the ball kids and expect them to dry off the handle for them.

Agreed. They should all carry sawdust in their pocket like Lendl did.

I love how the chicks have stopped getting the ball tossed to them for the second serve, so they can do the 3 ball sort like the blokes.

Good match Tonight as Nadal will be super keen to beat the soon to replace him at number one dude.

Jarro
3rd July 2011, 03:09 PM

He deserves it.

Agreed.

His run of wins during this year was phenominal !!

TheTrueReview
3rd July 2011, 05:47 PM
Thank **** the grunter didn't win :roll:

She should be banned for making such ridiculous noises on the court !!!

Agreed. Funny how Kvitova was hitting cannons at Sharapova with nary a sound.

Jarro
3rd July 2011, 06:15 PM
Sharapova doesn't make the grunts'n'groans on the practice court, so why do we have to endure it on the main stage.

It's something that needs to be addressed ... along with the ballboy treatment .... poor little blokes are personal slaves to the prima donnas !!!

AndyP
4th July 2011, 01:44 AM
Add another win to the Djokovic run (only one loss this year). Despite losing a set, he flogged Nadal.

AndyP
13th July 2011, 07:59 PM
The draw was done for the Davis Cup playoffs to get back into the world group tonight.

Australia copped Switzerland. Federer and Wawrinka; both top players. Doh!

goughy
12th September 2011, 07:30 AM
Bit surprised this thread hasn't popped up with stosur doing so well again! Won't blow todays current update though, suffice to say she's on court against williams atm.

Grunt
12th September 2011, 08:07 AM
Have to Say she smashed her.

3oneday
12th September 2011, 08:09 AM
Bit surprised this thread hasn't popped up with stosur doing so well again! Won't blow todays current update though, suffice to say she's on court against williams atm.

Probably because of her choker tag, everyone was staying quiet. Hopefully she'll kick on from here.

BrisVegas
12th September 2011, 08:12 AM
Tennis worth watching this morning. Stosur is a class act. So glad to see her smash Serena.

kingslayer33
12th September 2011, 08:32 AM
Serena's performance at the end of the first set was just plain ugly. To be expected of her - she has form. Well done Stosur to put up with that and still destroy her.

terrys
12th September 2011, 08:36 AM
Sammy showed how to win with dignity and class. Unlike her opponent. It was good to see.

just
12th September 2011, 08:41 AM
So most of you hate the way Lleyton used to carry on or this just a bit of latent racism? Can't you just laud Sam without the rest of the crap. Serena was pretty gracious after the match completed.

3oneday
12th September 2011, 08:41 AM
It's hard to be humble when your breasts are that big though.

AndyP
12th September 2011, 08:48 AM
:cool:

It had been mentioned in another thread, goughy.

Nice work playing the race card, just.

BrisVegas
12th September 2011, 08:50 AM
So most of you hate the way Lleyton used to carry on or this just a bit of latent racism? Can't you just laud Sam without the rest of the crap. Serena was pretty gracious after the match completed.

Yes, Lleyton carried on like a pork chop too. What's with the racist bit??

just
12th September 2011, 08:50 AM
:cool:

It had been mentioned in another thread, goughy.

Nice work playing the race card, just.
No problems, luckily you and I know there are no racists in the world, I've never met one.

just
12th September 2011, 09:00 AM
What's with the racist bit??

You've never noticed the completely over the top reaction to the Williams sisters on the forum. They've never been anything but aggressive, fantastic tennis players (and I don't even like the sport), hard during matches sure, but most of the time once the game is done they are pretty fair.

Anyway we're taking away what was a great display from Stosur.

AndyP
12th September 2011, 09:09 AM
Great mental strength shown from Stosur to refocus after Williams' poor display and continue on to win the second set. Williams dominated for a short period after it, and I thought she might steamroll Sam from that point on.

Jarro
12th September 2011, 09:16 AM
Great win to Stosur :)

BrisVegas
12th September 2011, 09:24 AM
You've never noticed the completely over the top reaction to the Williams sisters on the forum.

No, but then I don't follow tennis threads on ozgolf much.

Anyway we're taking away what was a great display from Stosur.

Yes, pull your head in.

TheNuclearOne
12th September 2011, 09:46 AM
Great win by Stosur, she should kick on now. Williams showed her usual class.

AndyP
12th September 2011, 09:50 AM
The press conferences aren't up yet. I'm really interested in what they both have to say, particularly Serena. I wonder if she thinks Stosur has got better at framing the ball.

TheNuclearOne
12th September 2011, 09:55 AM
Nice avatar AndyP.

TheTrueReview
12th September 2011, 10:03 AM
Great win by Stosur, she should kick on now. Williams showed her usual class.

... or complete lack thereof. Her comments to the umpire as reported by Foxsports.

"If you ever see me walking down the hall, look the other way," Williams said, while seated during the change.

"You're a hater and you're unattractive."

I've disliked the Williams sisters from day one b/c of their egotistical & disrespectful behaviour; particularly when losing.

Jarro
12th September 2011, 10:08 AM
... or complete lack thereof. Her comments to the umpire as reported by Foxsports.

"If you ever see me walking down
the hall, look the other way," Williams said, while seated during the change.

"You're a hater and you're unattractive."

I've disliked the Williams sisters from day one b/c of their egotistical & disrespectful behaviour; particularly when losing.

I agree.... very bad losers.... and usually just as bad when they win :roll:

terrys
12th September 2011, 10:09 AM

yes, hated it. and still won't support him because of it

Yossarian
12th September 2011, 10:12 AM
I thought she said unattractive on the inside.