PDA

View Full Version : peter_rs_644

peter_rs
28th February 2005, 10:32 PM
Here is a Hackers swing

I will repost pics in a second-Yahoo will host the files but does not like big downloads- thats why it was blocking access.

Any comments welcome.

I know I have a over swing problem.

Onewood
28th February 2005, 10:54 PM
Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!

Did'nt work Pete....

Ona
1st March 2005, 12:43 AM
the iron swing worked for me :D

peter_rs
1st March 2005, 11:57 AM
changing web host

AndyP
1st March 2005, 12:05 PM
Ok guys its pics until I can fix my web hosting issuse.
Not working, Peter.
It appears that you have exceeded your data transfer quota.

peter_rs
1st March 2005, 01:46 PM
Ok guys I have moved the files to zippy try again- sorry for the problems

9 iron swing 28/2/05 -vic park
http://www.zippyvideos.com/19198465885844.html

Driver swing 28/2/05-vic park
http://www.zippyvideos.com/20213978085854.html

AndyP
1st March 2005, 01:48 PM
9 iron swing 28/2/05 -vic park
http://www.zippyvideos.com/19198465885844.html

When you looked back at the camera, I think you should have given us a little wave, as well.

peter_rs
2nd March 2005, 10:52 AM
Well besides not smiling is there no other advice out there for me. I guess my swing must be perfect :lol:

Bring on the comments

Onewood
2nd March 2005, 11:24 AM
OK pete, I think you could work on your tempo, you look a little jerky and you tend to be trying to murder that driver :D 9 Iron shot looks to be getting a little past parallel on the back swing...try toning the back swing down. Don't waste all your power on the way back, this is where you'll feel the tempo improve.

Have you had lessons :?:

peter_rs
2nd March 2005, 12:28 PM
Yes I have be working with Geoff Smith from the OZ GOLF INSTITUTE
-Willawong driving range. 10 leasons now over 6 months (been playing for 3 years, two on a regular basis)- I have shortten my back swing up a lot (John Dally style). We both know my backswing could be shorter but I have a habit of having weak wrists at the top, which makes the problem look worse. Geoff is willing to let me have the overswing as long as I don't break my wrist.

Geoff is happy with my swing/setup/take away changes eg cut to a straight ball flight(small draw) etc (we are working on impact and follow through at present). From what he see on the range does not understand how I can shot 100 plus scores and my hcp has not dropped, I thing its time to play for a on course lesson but at $200 it hurts.

U noted murdering my driver(In that clip I wasn't). I have found I hit my best drives at 110% when I back off my tempo stuffs up and I lose my standard ball flight(don't go right-slice).

Thanks for the feedback more is welcome. :D

AndyP
2nd March 2005, 12:36 PM
From what he see on the range does not understand how I can shot 100 plus scores and my hcp has not dropped, ...
Why do you think that you shoot these high scores?

You have mentioned before that you always have the occasional shocking hole. Is this the result of several bad shots? Or just one or two, but you go for too much trying to recover?

BTW what is your AGU and Hacker's handicap?

peter_rs
2nd March 2005, 01:00 PM

AGU (http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4051802413) is 24.3
Hackers is 22

I do believe my home course the ridge-toowoomba has got the best of me and the reason for added 2 shots on my AGU because it is tight and unforgiving.

They otherthing I have noticed is I stuff up more when I do go for the safe recover shot (chipping to far through fairway or not fair enought ) or layup. Sometimes it is a brain flart a 4 putt (first one to long or short then go for the second to avoid a 3 putt).

I can handle the odd 8 if its my fault(perfer not to). I shoot rounds in the 90's with two or 3 8's alot, my lowest score is a 84 with a 10. The killer is I get to happy with a good driver(50-70m out on par 4) and stuff up the approach fat(divots half way to china) then kick myself for the rest of the hole.

I have been trying to avg 5 on every hole (90). I think I need abit more experience on course so I'm trying to play a twice a week(one comp round) I balance that with trying to get to the range once a week and putting/chipping once week.

AndyP
2nd March 2005, 01:19 PM
AGU (http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4051802413) is 24.3
Hackers is 22
Don't take any notice of the Hackers handicap. They adjust them differently, and rarely update them. I was just asking out of curiosity.

Sometimes it is a brain flart a 4 putt (first one to long or short then go for the second to avoid a 3 putt).
Aren't you trying to get every putt in? If so, why are you thinking about avoiding a three putt? It's just another putt.

Have you read any Dr. Bob Rotella's books? You might find them helpful. I have got quite a bit out of what I have read, and it has changed my mental attitude on the course.

Ona
2nd March 2005, 02:26 PM
http://img171.exs.cx/img171/4079/pete6gf.jpg

im with Kev. this (above) should be your end position, without the bent left wrist. i think the sooner you can make yourself stop here, the sooner consistency can enter your ball striking. coming down it looks good to me, experts might see something tho. from there it looks like, might be an illusion, your have breakdown of the wrists. the bend in your right wrist looks to be gone at impact or very soon after. you come out of your posture some, but who doesnt eh. does your coach want you to have square hips at impact? from what ive seen, all the good strikers have, to varying degrees, open hips and shoulders at impact.

thats my two bob.

getting the flat left at the top is something im working on. recently realised mine was slightly bent because the right wrist was cocking (thumb closer to forearm). here is a drill thats working for me. get in address and without a club take your grip. now bend the right wrist back on itself (clap) untill the left is flat. now do your backswing with those wrist positions locked. do not allow any cocking of the right wrist (hand shake motion). at the top you'll have a flat left wrist.
this felt really arqward for a while but now it's great. its up to you when during your actual swing you set those wrist positions, but when you do this drill the feeling of having them locked all the way up really makes it easy to keep them that way all the way down.

sorry for the essay, im just excited about this stuff working for me.

peter_rs
2nd March 2005, 02:49 PM
Hackers is 22
Don't take any notice of the Hackers handicap. They adjust them differently, and rarely update them. I was just asking out of curiosity.

Sometimes it is a brain flart a 4 putt (first one to long or short then go for the second to avoid a 3 putt).
Aren't you trying to get every putt in? If so, why are you thinking about avoiding a three putt? It's just another putt.

Have you read any Dr. Bob Rotella's books? You might find them helpful. I have got quite a bit out of what I have read, and it has changed my mental attitude on the course.

I know hackers is not much of a handicap but I still have played to it the last 3 months.

I had the Dr Bob tapes. Its not that I'm thinking 3 putt but keza will back me up here I leave more putts short then long(more so on courses I don't know) so if you for 20m away for 1 then 10m 2 after a bad putt, a 3 putt can be good. On some of the greens I play if the line is wrong you can have a second putt the same length as the first (break). Having said that even on a bad day I avg 36 putts- 26 on a good(I have worked a bit on my putting). But its the same thing if you don't get away from the tee well on long tight courses like the ridge on a 415m par 4 if you are 240m out and in the trees and can't go forward par is impossible.

I will say over the last months I have been shooting better scores even though I don't think I'm playing better- Thats why I think its a practise thing. It is rare for me to play two rounds on the same course in the same month so I always am having to adpt to the course. Thats why I join Ozgolf.net to get a group of people who play reg on reg courses.

peter_rs
2nd March 2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks Ona,

The essay is welcome, what program did you use to get the single frame from the avi?

A side on shoot would show more but I'm open a faction and my wrist does break through impact.

Its weird with all the work I have done and swing changes I have to different swings. A old one (bad) which is posted here, which is a fade with a 5 iron distance of 150m and my new swing which is straight(draw if I over do it) which has a 5 iron distance 175m(This swing has the straight left position at the top). The problem being until impact I don't now which I have used. So it can cause me to fly alot of greens if I'm having a bad day and both swings are in use.

Anyone got any good drills for shortening your swing?

Maybe its better to post a good swing and not the avg one. :lol:

AndyP
2nd March 2005, 03:24 PM
But its the same thing if you don't get away from the tee well on long tight courses like the ridge on a 415m par 4 if you are 240m out and in the trees and can't go forward par is impossible.
If one particular hole is troubling you, maybe you could play it a bit more conservatively, and aim to get on the green in three shots. Maybe use a safer club off the tee. You never know, you might stiff your approach, and still end up with par anyway.

Having said that even on a bad day I avg 36 putts- 26 on a good(I have worked a bit on my putting).
I don't think there is anything too wrong with 36 putts with your handicap. I certainly don't aim for 28 putts per round. I'm happy with 32 to 34.

It is rare for me to play two rounds on the same course in the same month so I always am having to adpt to the course. Thats why I join Ozgolf.net to get a group of people who play reg on reg courses.
Check out my golflink over the last year or so. I never play at the same course often.

peter_rs
2nd March 2005, 03:41 PM
Hi AndyP

On the conservatively thing- I tried that but not with much luck and decided if I going to be in trouble then be deep in trouble and a long way down. Not smart I know, but I do believe I play better going for my shots- I was more talking about that one in a million shot a high pop up or hitting over hanging limbs of tree near the tee box or the worm burner. All shots I have palyed. Having said that I do now when to back off and use a 3 wood, 2 or 3 iron. I just trust my driving.

On putting-I know I'm not bad but I do know I could pick up 2-3 shots a round easy.

Changing Course- Its not a problem changing course if they are in the same style eg parkland course with nice pace large greens. But when you play on the extremes things change tree lined fast small green (toowoomba-bribie miss the fairway and your on sand) or country courses with heavy slow greens and few trees so you can hit the ball two fairways over and still have a shot to the green, or you hit the right fairway but you ball is on dirt. I dont play the country course much anymore an example is rose wood. The joys of playing with social groups.

I think most of the course around brisbane have good greens(nice pace and size).[/code]

Ona
2nd March 2005, 03:53 PM
V1 Home - Basic (free)

peter_rs
4th March 2005, 10:00 AM
Having a play with V1- did you use <alt><print screen> and MSpaint to join the images, the basic verision does not support printing.

I had written my own program to view my swing and draw lines

Keza_G
4th March 2005, 12:42 PM
From what he see on the range does not understand how I can shot 100 plus scores and my hcp has not dropped, ...

Guys I think the reason Pete shoots high scores is the same reason most of us do.... ie short game. Having played with Pete on a few occasions now, I believe that from about 120m out, the ball is either simply not on the green and in the wrong bail out spot or 50ft from the flag...

When I first quit my job last year Pete, I spent 1 whole month just putting..... I went from 14 to 8 in that month.... my next routine was to spend 1 whole month hitting short irons..... (I just haven't had time to do this yet, but I intend to start very soon.)

I have now also read a few Dr Bob books..... BRILLIANT for the mind and for the confidence.

Hope the comments help mate

Cheers

Keza

peter_rs
4th March 2005, 01:11 PM
Well that was nice of you keza, After Emerald Lakes you could have said more about my putting.

I am working on my short game-I use the practise green at vic park twice a week after work. I know the longer I get of the tee the more I need a short game. The problem is I have started to know the vir park green to well so I chip better. That is why I just trying to play more.

Ona
4th March 2005, 10:12 PM
Having a play with V1- did you use <alt><print screen> and MSpaint to join the images, the basic verision does not support printing.

yes exactly

markTHEblake
4th March 2005, 10:56 PM
you can use Virtual Dub to extract every single frame from an AVI, takes about 3 clicks of the mouse to do. its a free program, and can get it from http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net
basically its the ultimate video editing converting application.

peter_rs
21st October 2005, 08:00 AM
Ok the swing as of last week.

http://i1.zvhost.com/1/j/jnvia9k3.jpg (http://www.zippyvideos.com/7438009601816926/iron_12_10_05/)

And the LD swing as of last week

http://i1.zvhost.com/1/w/w8q7g1wl.jpg (http://www.zippyvideos.com/2263667591817046/ld_b_12_10_0001/)

http://i1.zvhost.com/1/h/h1x4ymh0.jpg (http://www.zippyvideos.com/5762187051817076/ld_s_12_10_0002/)

comments welcome.

peter_rs
24th October 2005, 01:40 PM
These are the points as my coach see- (any feedback?)

Address
· Your set-up, grip, alignment and body angles are quite good
Take-away
· Right arm extends too wide and disconnects from body
· You move off the ball a little
· This move causes the body height to drop a little and the left knee starts to bend too much
Backswing
· Over-swing
· Hips over-rotate a little
· Right side collapses a little
· Body angles are maintained quite well
· The take-away movement makes it difficult to maintain a solid right side position
· The left knee bends too much
Downswing
· The start down is too aggressive with the legs and unstable forcing the upper body to hold back through impact
· Swing angle is in-to-out and club drops under slightly
· Right arm is caught behind the body
· Hands are narrow through impact, no extension

Jarro
24th October 2005, 02:24 PM
give the LD swinging away Peter ... you're gonna get soooooo many injuries :(

stick with normal golf mate, i can see your swing is improvong heaps 8)

peter_rs
25th October 2005, 09:55 AM
Thanks Jarro...

I was starting to think AP had hinden my swing from everyone else :lol:

AndyP
25th October 2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks Jarro...

I was starting to think AP had hinden my swing from everyone else :lol:
I love getting the blame for everything.  :mrgreen: :roll:

jaster
25th October 2005, 11:09 AM
Sorry peter, cannot really give any comments as Zippy videos allows me to see the swing once and then I have to reload and see it again and then repeat ad nauseum.....email me your swing if you want me to comment ;) From what I have seen though it doesn't look too bad although there looks to be a little bit of excessive movement but it could be just the video I was watching.

jaster
25th October 2005, 01:49 PM
Thanks Pete for emailing me some vids...

I'll focus mainly on your iron video from behind as your two driver swings I take it are your long drive swings and I really don't know what you are trying to achieve with those swings.

Overall I think you swing it quite well, obviously you hit the ball a good distance and therefore must have good timing and a certain natural ability, this always helps.

1. You seem to me standing too far away from the ball, I would prefer to see you a little taller at address also but only in person would I be able to tell for sure....it could be the camera angle though. The easiest way to self check is the "Butch Harmon" method. Take a normal address position, stance and grip all as normal. Take your right hand off the club while still in the address position and let it hang/fall...if it falls towards you then you are too far away, away from you then you are too close. It should only fall backwards a fraction.

2. Your first movement back is almost a forced movement, you should be nice and supple and fluid. Look at your forearms...to me they look strained and tight. This could be due to quality of the video but that's the way it looks to me.

3. Looks like you are swinging to the inside and your back leg is straightening too much. I guess there are two things there....I would certainly be trying to keep your knee flex more constant as this will improve consistency. With your long swing you are going to have to straighten your rear leg to get over so far but I think working on reducing both these things would see a negligible reduction in distance with a larger percentage of your drives "in the grid" :)

4. Leading in to the consistency thing. I cannot see how you could be consistent with the amount of movement in your upper body. As I have stated many times before...some backwards head movement ala Curtis Strange is tolerable but up and down and particularly away and down is bad. I should be able to hold my hand on your head and not have it move away at all from my hand....yours is all over the place and therefore your eyes will be all over the place and therefore your quality of contact will vary depending on what position you get it back into.

Lastly, I see some John Dalyisms in your swing which I think Shazza or someone has mentioned before. Your body shape helps this (I mean that nicely to by the way) and as we all know he can certainly golf some ball. Therefore my suggestion is to try and look at his swing in detail. I have a fantastic video in SUPERSLOMO of his swing from side on that I seriously think you should study and copy a little. The only problem is that it is 5-6mbs in size. I am happy to email it to you if you like so please give me an address that I can send it to..work or home?

The big thing with Daly is even though his swing is so long his head is like a rock, wait until you see this video to see what I mean...it is truly a credit to him to have a swing yet keep his head fixed almost perfect until momentum takes over. I think this also helps him achieve his amazing distance and accuracy as he is coiling around like a spring (swinging in a barrel) so any excess power generated goes towards hitting the ball forward not moving your body into a correct impact position. Another thing to note is that Daly for all his power has a nickname given to him other than "Long John" or the "Lion King"...it is "Dr Chipinski" which is pretty self explanatary ;) His power alone did not make him a great player ;)

peter_rs
25th October 2005, 02:37 PM
Trust me I'm working on the short stuff too.

certain natural ability

your the first to say that :wink:

I know I have a gut to swing around but working on that too.