PDA

View Full Version : Your iron shafts ...

Jarro
4th January 2010, 07:20 AM
What shafts do you play in your irons ? Happy with the results they give you ?

Why do you prefer them, and did you chose them as a result of a clubfitting session ?

Toolish
4th January 2010, 07:31 AM
I have DG S300 in mine.

Happy with them but don't really have anything to compare against. I hit it pretty high and all i have read says that DG are good for hitting it a bit lower. I keep tossing up on dropping bag to reg or soft-stepping them but never get around to it.

Dotty
4th January 2010, 07:33 AM
Nippon NS-Pro 900XH
(I gather these are the 'Made for Cobra' version of the 950.)

Demo nighted a few options, then borrowed a mate's clubs. Liked 'em, ordered 'em. Still love 'em, because of the silky smooth feel and great results.

PeteyD
4th January 2010, 07:36 AM
KBS Tours. Came with irons. Can hit them high or low. Similar to old satin PX shafts without the harsh feel. Not as smooth feeling as the nippons.

Daggs
4th January 2010, 07:40 AM
DG S300s helped to hit a lot straighter and further than the soft wobbly suckers i had before

Webster
4th January 2010, 07:42 AM
Rifle 6.0.
Yes.
No.

Jarro
4th January 2010, 07:51 AM
Rifle 6.0.
Yes.
No.

What'd you have before the Rifle's Jacky ?

Webster
4th January 2010, 07:58 AM
jarro, i use anything as long as it plays reasonably firm/stiff (ie DGS300/PING Microtaper/Hogan Apex 4 etc). I find it doesnt really make that much difference.

3oneday
4th January 2010, 08:17 AM
Rifle 5.0

They hit greens 50% of the time.

See recently created thread entitled "Shafts and Custom Fitting" for my further replies ;)

Scottt
4th January 2010, 08:29 AM
ZZ65s. Love them to death.

Wasn't fitted, but wanted something firmer and lower than the R300s I was rocking in my Mizzys, and they came recommended as an ersatz S300SL.

goonie
4th January 2010, 08:50 AM
KBS tours, tried these after trying many other shafts, found the stiffs to be just about perfect mid weight shaft, DG to heavy, DGSL to light, and PX 5.5 too low spin, the KBS also seem to be very stable and gives me the little extra spin I need in the longer irons, and they play a little longer than the other shafts I've tried in the same heads Basically fitted myself after trail and error and working out what weight and shaft profile works for me. Only other shaft that may fit the bill that I haven't tried is the PX flighted shafts.

Tongueboy
4th January 2010, 08:55 AM
R 300 because I am old

virge666
4th January 2010, 09:02 AM
KBS Tours. Came with irons. Can hit them high or low. Similar to old satin PX shafts without the harsh feel. Not as smooth feeling as the nippons.

+1 - except NS go too high for me. Too soft a tip

henno
4th January 2010, 09:03 AM
X100 - because they were already in the clubs and despite having plans to take them out I hit them well. (Cue blah blah blah... high handicaper.... blah blah blah...)

AndyP
4th January 2010, 09:04 AM
What shafts do you play in your irons ? Dynamic Gold High Launch with regular flex.

Happy with the results they give you ? I guess so. I blame or credit the user for the results, not the shafts.

Why do you prefer them, and did you chose them as a result of a clubfitting session ?They are close in specs to the shaft I was recommended by a clubfitter and were made available to me, so I grabbed them.

Jarro
4th January 2010, 09:04 AM

Don't KBS Tours have a soft-tip also ?

Iain
4th January 2010, 09:08 AM
Yeah, but I think they're not as high spin as the Nippons, so fly a bit lower.

peter_rs
4th January 2010, 09:12 AM
Rifle Flighted 6.0
yes.. most of the time the rest its me.
Yes. they were on the end of the list.

I have used (in order)
DG R300... First clubs I every had and was not fitted
Rifle lite... Weak as piss
DG S300 ... nothing shafts for me
zz65... I liked but due to a combination of things had no distance control
Nippon NS-Pro ... nothing shafts for me
Fitted for the first time
SL S300... needs to be the right head.. can snap easy
SL X100... needs to be the right head.. can snap easy
Project X 6.5.... poles
Project X 5.5 (chrome)... nothing shafts for me spin way to much
Rifle Flighted 6.0

Because I like hitting long irons and hit irons high the idea of flighted shafts appeal to me.

Eag's
4th January 2010, 09:20 AM
What shafts do you play in your irons ? Happy with the results they give you ?

Why do you prefer them, and did you chose them as a result of a clubfitting session ?

Nippon NS- Pro, they came with the irons.
They may be a little soft for me, but they will do for now.
I hope to get properly fitted sometime this year.

BrisVegas
4th January 2010, 09:33 AM
DG SL300. Yeah, they do the job pretty well. I hit a high ball, so like the 'lowness' of the DG style shafts.

I chose them because I wanted to try a lighter weight version of the DG S300 I'd played since taking up the game. addamsmith said they'd suit me at my last launch monitor session with him. I hit normal DG shafts ok, I was just looking to try something lighter to see what the fuss was all about I guess. I'd happily play either DG or DGSL in my next set. I also wouldn't mind trying the KBS Tour shafts, as plenty on here are pulling themselves over how good they are.

just
4th January 2010, 09:36 AM
Jarro I have AWT Regs in my irons, I have had them in my irons before and I like them. However in my back up set I have Nippon 950 GH in stiff (play more like firm) and I think they are fantastic shafts and if I could have afforded the upcharge I would have got them in the i15's.

moree golfer
4th January 2010, 10:17 AM
I am a DGS300 man, have had R300s and found I snap hooked irons out of nowhere. All my irons now have S300. Last time I was fitted was my second set of irons and I felt the pro specified R300s simply because I was off 31 hcap. It was a dynamic fitting on the range but no launchie. Since then haven't been fitted but am keen to compare a few different shafts to see what else may aid me in my quest to "find the green".

KristianJ
4th January 2010, 10:27 AM
Nippon NS Pro 100 regs in my 755s (stock shaft)...generally happy with the results, although the flight can be a little too hight for my liking at times. However I'm moving to KBS Tours to find a lower flight, plus a bit like BV, the raps they get on here and elsewhere have left me keen to give them a go.

davepuppies
4th January 2010, 10:49 AM
DGS300 for me. Previously had trispec stiff, and hit the ball very high......

goonie
4th January 2010, 11:43 AM
Project X 5.5 (chrome)... nothing shafts for me spin way to much
Rifle Flighted 6.0

If these spin too much you really wouldn't like DGs, nippons or KBS tours.

goonie
4th January 2010, 11:49 AM
Jarro I have AWT Regs in my irons, I have had them in my irons before and I like them. However in my back up set I have Nippon 950 GH in stiff (play more like firm) and I think they are fantastic shafts and if I could have afforded the upcharge I would have got them in the i15's.

What are your spare set? If they have similar hosel length, shaft length and same tip size just get perci or myself to switch them over.

goonie
4th January 2010, 12:44 PM
I have 2 set of irons with KBS tours, and have had 2 other sets with KBS tours so I am very happy with these shafts. Another shaft that might be worth a try is the Nippon 1150 tours or some of there tour shafts, I have had the 1050 and 950WF but both went to high and spun too much.

Hamo84
4th January 2010, 01:01 PM
DGS300 for me as well, got them in the VR's and they are great, ball flight is a bit lower, but that suits me fine considering that most of the courses that I play at are easily affected by wind. (Particularly Adelaide Shores (the Pat))

Captain Nemo
4th January 2010, 04:18 PM
Rifle PX Flighted 6.0
Although i just pulled them and in the middle of installing KBS Tour's (5.7's)

adlo
4th January 2010, 05:09 PM
Jarro, I answered you in my WITB thread.

I agree with goonies suggestion if you want to look at Nippons, try the 1150 Tours.

Nippons are super smooth, however 950 regs and the like do launch very high.

peter_rs
4th January 2010, 05:15 PM
If these spin too much you really wouldn't like DGs, nippons or KBS tours.

I think it was more to do with the head.

EG AP2 and CG4.

I had more luck with the satin PX shafts.

Eag's
4th January 2010, 06:42 PM
I had a closer look at my shafts and they are N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff.
Can anyone tell me what type of ball flight these are designed for, I have no idea about shafts in general?

adlo
4th January 2010, 06:42 PM
Soft tip, smooth feel, high ball flight Eag's.

Eag's
4th January 2010, 06:44 PM
Cheers Adlo, going by the ball flight when I hit it solid that sounds about right to me.

adlo
4th January 2010, 06:46 PM
Yep, Nippons feel great, but like Virge said if you struggle with high ball flight they are not the best shaft.

I love Nippons 8)

TheNuclearOne
4th January 2010, 06:47 PM

You use the KBS Tours now right Jarro? Happy with em?

PeteyD
4th January 2010, 06:58 PM

Me too. But they did feel very smooth.

Jarro
4th January 2010, 07:00 PM
You use the KBS Tours now right Jarro? Happy with em?

No i'm not actually :(

I'm finding they're throwing the ball up way too high and i'm losing distance big-time.

I like the feel of them, but i'd like to maybe get them tweaked to feel a little stiffer in the tip

goonie
4th January 2010, 07:01 PM

softer than PX and DG but not as soft as Nippon 850/950/1050.

adlo
4th January 2010, 07:04 PM
Jarro, it sounds like you hit everything high and spinny. Is that the case?

Do you flip?

Minor_Threat
4th January 2010, 07:06 PM
Dynamic Gold X100..

Trial and error really, these gave me the best control.

Jarro
4th January 2010, 07:07 PM
Jarro, it sounds like you hit everything high and spinny. Is that the case?

Do you flip?

yeah i'm a flamin' flipper :roll: especially at the moment seeing as though i haven't played bugger all for a bit.

PeteyD
4th January 2010, 07:07 PM
I heard he swings.

3oneday
4th January 2010, 07:09 PM
He wishes, like any inner ho trying to get out, he just wants to buy something cause he isn't playing ;)

adlo
4th January 2010, 07:10 PM
:lol:

Jarro, just do some drills to hit punch shots off the back foot and see if you can control trajectory a bit better.

It helped me no end, I was questioning the Nippons but learning to compress the ball saved me the cost of reshafting the irons.

TheNuclearOne
4th January 2010, 07:19 PM
PX's will lower the flight if you do end up buying something else.

Eag's
4th January 2010, 07:22 PM
Might be time for me to try something new. I have a lot of trouble keeping the ball low when needed. I never had an issue with that before with other shafts in my irons :-k

Jarro
4th January 2010, 07:48 PM
Might be time for me to try something new. I have a lot of trouble keeping the ball low when needed. I never had an issue with that before with other shafts in my irons :-k

That's the spirit Richard, Ho-ing is the answer 8-)

Jarro
4th January 2010, 07:49 PM
:lol:

Jarro, just do some drills to hit punch shots off the back foot and see if you can control trajectory a bit better.

It helped me no end, I was questioning the Nippons but learning to compress the ball saved me the cost of reshafting the irons.

Will do coach ;)

I'm sure it's not the clubs :oops:

henno
4th January 2010, 07:52 PM
That's the spirit Richard, Ho-ing is the answer 8-)

Don't listen to him Eag's! I was only saying to jarro yesterday that every time you go to ditch those pings you need a slap. You hit them good when you swing well and you know it.

Eag's
4th January 2010, 08:24 PM
Yeah I don't think I will change the heads, but I might give some different shafts ago.

Courty
4th January 2010, 09:56 PM
I've had DG Superlites, S300's, Black Golds, PX 6.0's and am now back to S300's. The DG SLs were too light, but the rest are much of a muchness. The only other comment was that the PX's felt more harsh when mishit.

goonie
4th January 2010, 09:59 PM
No i'm not actually :(

I'm finding they're throwing the ball up way too high and i'm losing distance big-time.

I like the feel of them, but i'd like to maybe get them tweaked to feel a little stiffer in the tip

One of the reasons I got rId of my Tour Preferred's was because I hit the short to mid irons to high, and that was with DG S300's in them. In the R9TP's the COG gets higher in the mid and short irons, and so far so good, but I have only played 2 rounds, but have played to my hcp both times and didn't think I played that well.

markTHEblake
5th January 2010, 01:15 AM
What shafts do you play in your irons ?

FST Pro 115 http://www.fstshafts.com/products.php

Happy with the results they give you ?flipping fantastic. I liked them so much i used the same shaft in a hybrid, and that is great too. I wish i could put them in fairway woods :)

and placebo effect of shiney new gear has truly worn off now, and still flipping fantastic.

Why do you prefer them, and did you chose them as a result of a clubfitting session ?Simply, The slightly softer tip than what i was used too seems to be a huge benefit to me, and thats it.

I was fitted for, and played for 10 years with Rifle Lite 6.5 (stiff tip) My concern was that as i was in mid 40's and that the new set would need to carry me for at least 5 years that I would need softer shafts.

As I already had been 'fitted' once, and I knew nothing had changed swing speed wise, and I understood the methodology behind the current fitting i had, I thought i would have a crack at fitting myself this time and save a bucket.

I was going to get Regular shafts and hard step them to give me a flex halfway between Reg and Stiff, and like I do with anything, i googled madly for months (possibly a year!)

Eventually i consulted with Ralph Maltby (who designs the Maltby line), as well as read all his stuff about appropriate choices and he advised me to not change the flex of the shafts, just try a softer tip, which is what he does himself. He recommended the shafts I eventually chose or TX90. With that profile he said would definitely help with softening vibrations caused by thin shots especially on cold mornings :-) and that was always a bug bear of mine.

I also then took all the components to a clubfitter, and he assembled them as MOI, and really liked how the end result looked on paper for me. (Though obviously MOI has no impact on the feel of a single golf club)

adlo
5th January 2010, 01:19 AM
Now there are some great value golf shafts. FST.... try some Eag's.

just
5th January 2010, 06:22 AM
None in .355 for Pings.

leighthebee
5th January 2010, 12:41 PM
DGS300 for as long as I can remember.

Had some NS Pro's there for awhile, but were too light.

leighthebee
5th January 2010, 12:42 PM
Where have these KBS shafts come from. Are they a new brand or rebadge?

Saw some in some Ping i15's at the local pro shop. was intrigued.

henno
5th January 2010, 12:49 PM

The short version: Kim Braly created the Project X line of shafts for Royal Precision. He then designed the KBS Tour line, manufactured by FST (the same guys that make the shafts MTB uses.)

TheNuclearOne
5th January 2010, 12:54 PM

Saw some in some Ping i15's at the local pro shop. was intrigued.

They exploded onto the tour quite a while ago and have had a strong presence since. Kenny Perry had them in when he went on his win streak near a couple of years ago and things went ballistic.

leighthebee
5th January 2010, 01:07 PM
ahh. cheers for the heads up.

moree golfer
5th January 2010, 01:07 PM
None in .355 for Pings.Any ideas why they only make .370 parallel, has it got to do with the shaft profile or some stuff? MTB feel free to chime in as you own them.

henno
5th January 2010, 01:15 PM
All (most?) of the malby iron heads have a hosel design that can take either 0.355 or 0.370 iron shafts. I can understand why they chose to only make one tip size (costs) but as to why they chose 0.370 I do not know.

moree golfer
5th January 2010, 01:19 PM
I have been keen to buy some FST 115 to try but I only own irons with .355 taper hosels. Maybe I buy some bargain basement .370 heads and make up my fifth set of irons!

henno
5th January 2010, 01:20 PM
I have been keen to buy some FST 115 to try but I only own irons with .355 taper hosels.

I hear ya buddy. I don't think I've owned a set of 0.370 irons yet.

just
5th January 2010, 01:20 PM
Almost every component iron head is .370, because you can trim .370's to trim to achieve a desired result, as I understand. As to why FST only make .370's I can only guess because they are aimed at the component market and haven't made headway in the OEM iron market yet. The OEM's generally prefer .355 because they are better for the assembly line.

goonie
5th January 2010, 03:26 PM
FST are most likely targeting the component market with the FST shafts, and use the KBS brand/shafts for OEM and component clubs.

Daves
5th January 2010, 06:06 PM
My Wishons are .370s.

markTHEblake
5th January 2010, 06:58 PM
Any ideas why they only make .370 parallel, has it got to do with the shaft profile or some stuff? MTB feel free to chime in as you own them.

Probably because the only heads worth putting these shafts in are .370.

People that have club heads with .355 hosels are much less likely to be looking at a shaft that retails for $7. They will be eyeing off the the premium shafts like Project X and KBS.

Not that the FST shafts are low quality, most comments I read and hear about them compare very favourably with the likes of TT DG/SL and on