PDA

View Full Version : Maltby Shovels ?

damoocow
3rd January 2010, 09:27 PM
I was thinking of putting these Maltby super game improvement heads on my 3/4/5 irons [currently precept ev3's] -I play hybrids instead of the long irons but always looking for any improvement.
A question for those with more knowledge than me - are these shovels all smoke and mirrors or is it likely to make a difference ?

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_MA0121_A_cn_E_671

zigwah
3rd January 2010, 09:33 PM
they look horrible

just
3rd January 2010, 09:35 PM
Blakey's got one and should be able to help.

markTHEblake
3rd January 2010, 09:51 PM
Damo, i have the Glider T, 3 iron. It has an 18 degree loft which is really a traditional 1 iron, so I put a 1 iron length shaft in it, and now I have a club is stupidly easy to hit and goes low, just what i wanted.

Although the wide sole is really ugly, but when I address it, i just dont see that part at all, just the normal clubface, perhaps it has one of those illusionary looks that cause your eyes to ignore, or maybe its just the fact that with an iron, you just dont expect to see something there so you dont look.

there are articles about these Glider clubs on the golfworks site or ralphmaltby.com that explains their design concept. basically they wanted to build a club with all the emphasis on playability and complete sacrifice of aesthetics. They know its ugly, but they found that once people hit it, it sold. Hence they now have 3 models of the same design.

I suggest you buy one iron, and an FST 115 shaft and get Percy to knock one up and see how it goes. Whats the worst it will cost you, $40?

damoocow
3rd January 2010, 10:15 PM
Blakey - thanks for the reply - I don't remember seeing this in your bag last time I looked - or is it just so hideous that you have to hide it away ?
I did some research and they indeed get some good reviews - from what I can find the tip size in my current 3/4/5 is .370 which is the same as these heads so I was considering swapping the heads straight over and keeping consistency with my other irons - for $12.99 per head plus post it is dirt cheap.

damoocow
3rd January 2010, 10:16 PM
they look horrible

Zig, you are being far too kind - but I don't care what they look like - I just want a lower handicap

Jarro
3rd January 2010, 10:19 PM
Moo, you don't need shovels.

Get yourself a nice set of blades like henno has and take your game into the 21st century 8)

markTHEblake
3rd January 2010, 10:23 PM
Blakey - thanks for the reply - I don't remember seeing this in your bag last time I looked - or is it just so hideous that you have to hide it away ?

i have had it since the Nudgee plate last year. But i dont carry it always, i have a wide selection of hybrids and fairway woods and i change them around a lot depending on which course i am playing.

damoocow
3rd January 2010, 10:33 PM
Moo, you don't need shovels.

Get yourself a nice set of blades like henno has and take your game into the 21st century 8)

What is Henno playing ?

Mark - Just want forgiving longer clubs at this stage- current handicap 16.5 - trying to get to sub 15 by mid year - due for some more lessons too

markTHEblake
3rd January 2010, 10:37 PM
Damo, knowing your style of play, and that you are never concerned about being seen as a non conformist, i think they would suit you.

And who knows, maybe in a couple of years, we shall have half teh forum playing Malbty's. Off the top of my head there are 4 or 5 already.

The are quite offset though, so take that into consideration when selecting which model will suit you.
Oh, and look at the PDF of the catalogue from the front page, there are more views of teh clubhead, ie top, front and side

damoocow
3rd January 2010, 10:37 PM
i have had it since the Nudgee plate last year. But i dont carry it always, i have a wide selection of hybrids and fairway woods and i change them around a lot depending on which course i am playing.

Blakey thanks for the help

MegaWatty
3rd January 2010, 10:39 PM
Damo, knowing your style of play, and that you are never concerned about being seen as a non conformist, i think they would suit you.

And who knows, maybe in a couple of years, we shall have half teh forum playing Malbty's. Off the top of my head there are 4 or 5 already.

If three Maltby wedges counts, then add another.

MTB, with the brand ho's around this place, 50% is never a chance!

razaar
3rd January 2010, 10:39 PM
Is that the club you showed me at the Champs, Blakey? I think you had it in the boot of your car.

virge666
3rd January 2010, 10:40 PM
It looks like a long headed club - should be very very forgiving.

markTHEblake
3rd January 2010, 10:42 PM
Ray, quite possibly. I had all my spare clubs in the boot for the champs, but pretty sure i didnt use my "i iron" so in the boot it stayed.

The sole is almost 2 inches, so quite memorable (ugly) I would say, and the green and orange grip sets it off perfectly

markTHEblake
3rd January 2010, 10:45 PM
MTB, with the brand ho's around this place, 50% is never a chance!

I have already converted one brand ho, so dont be too sure about that.

razaar
3rd January 2010, 10:52 PM
That's the one, it didn't go in the bag but back in the boot.

Toolish
4th January 2010, 07:40 AM
Sort of OT but I built a Maltby driver for my dad as a bday present, was tempted to get something for me on the order but didn't. After seeing his driver I wish I did. I am pretty sure my next driver will be a Maltby of some sort.

LarryLong
4th January 2010, 07:57 AM
basically they wanted to build a club with all the emphasis on playability and complete sacrifice of aesthetics. They know its ugly, but they found that once people hit it, it sold. Hence they now have 3 models of the same design.

I'm somewhat disappointed to hear that the result of that mission didn't end up looking like a dildo on the end of a shaft after all. :)

I'd definately buy one of these if I ever get around to buying new clubs. Why would you care what they look like?

Out of interest though, is there a level of ball-striking ability or a type of lie or anything like that where these clubs become less of an advantage, or perhaps even a disadvantage?

markTHEblake
4th January 2010, 09:49 PM
After seeing his driver I wish I did. I am pretty sure my next driver will be a Maltby of some sort.

which Driver?

The Tricept driver seemed to get some unfavourable comments, but the CT250 was a winner from what i understand.

Out of interest though, is there a level of ball-striking ability or a type of lie or anything like that where these clubs become less of an advantage, or perhaps even a disadvantage?

The CG is very very low, so the good golfer is going to hit moon balls. That would be the only disadvantage

Toolish
4th January 2010, 10:24 PM
Twas a CT250 with a M3 shaft, package deal they had going there a while back. Only issue was I made it to suit a 60 y.o. 25 handicap so 11 degrees and reg flex at 44 inch it was...not really made to suit me. But loved the shape and the look of the head and he hits it a lot better than his old driver so that is the main thing.

Not sure what I would get from the range at the moment, but not an issue as no cash to spend anyhow.