PDA

View Full Version : 2010 PGA Tour Preview

TheTrueReview
3rd January 2010, 09:10 AM
In case anyone is interested. http://www.pgatour.com/2010/r/01/02/preview.winners/index.html

It has a little blurb about Adam Scott also.

"The other player to watch is Adam Scott. Until Greg Norman gave him the nod for the Presidents Cup, Scott was mired in a slump. Since then, he has played much better, winning for the first time as a professional in Australia and more importantly, finding old form. Scott and Furyk have been perennially ranked in the top-10 in the world over the last decade for a reason. They will show you that reason again in 2010."

virge666
3rd January 2010, 09:59 AM
Like most of the Aussies... unless they work on their putting and actually sort it out so it becomes a natural stroke instead of this mechanical "shove" that they all see to have.

These guys are not going to do anything wonderful because their strokes do not hold up under pressure.

This applies two-fold when they have not been in the winners circle for a while.

You have to be able to putt to win a tornament. Otherwise your only hope is to somehow "have it" for four rounds.

AK will have a few this season... I would like to see Sim, Ogilvy and Nitties post a win too.

LarryLong
3rd January 2010, 10:34 AM
Like most of the Aussies... unless they work on their putting and actually sort it out so it becomes a natural stroke instead of this mechanical "shove" that they all see to have.

These guys are not going to do anything wonderful because their strokes do not hold up under pressure.

I'm not a real tour follower, but there do seem to be quite a few top Aussies with good ball striking but suspect putting. Would you say that the Aussie standard of putting is below average compared to golfers from elsewhere? Is there something in the Australian junior coaching system that is causing this, or is it something else?

Hux
3rd January 2010, 10:43 AM
I'm not a real tour follower, but there do seem to be quite a few top Aussies with good ball striking but suspect putting. Would you say that the Aussie standard of putting is below average compared to golfers from elsewhere? Is there something in the Australian junior coaching system that is causing this, or is it something else?

I agree with this. I think for Aussie players only Badds is a good putter.
If you need any more proof of how bad Aussie pro's learn to putt one only needs the example of Peter O'Malley.....

virge666
3rd January 2010, 01:10 PM
I agree with this. I think for Aussie players only Badds is a good putter.
If you need any more proof of how bad Aussie pro's learn to putt one only needs the example of Peter O'Malley.....

Let me give you more

JOHN ****ING SENDON - Leads GIR on the tour - nuff said

Adam Scott - One of the best drivers of a golf ball out there - just like Norman was except Norman didn't insist on blowing 2 or 3 strokes around with his putter

Allenby - Looks like a snake in his hands... Worst stroke in Aussie golf.

Apples - Streaky at best

Pamps - One year - top 20 in putting - next year top 180

POM - Yuk

Goggin - Same deal even with the Johnny Neutron putter.

Next time you golf - watch how the players actually hit the ball with the putter. Ogilvy is awesome at this. Then watch the other "Shove" the putter. If Geoff misses a putt - the ball also goes past the hole and he almost always sinks the return putt even if it is 4 feet past.

Badds is the same - he HITS the putt, Chalmers, Nitties, Even cross handed, the putter swings with Michael Sim. These guys are where you put your money.

Because how many times have you seen Australians fade on the 4th day due to missed putts...

If we could just get a Sendon/Badds hybrid, we could rule the world !!!

matty
3rd January 2010, 06:16 PM
I can't believe Sendon leads in GIR. He should be top 10 in the world. I wonder how hard he works at his putting.

Hamo84
4th January 2010, 01:02 PM
In case anyone is interested. http://www.pgatour.com/2010/r/01/02/preview.winners/index.html

It has a little blurb about Adam Scott also.

"The other player to watch is Adam Scott. Until Greg Norman gave him the nod for the Presidents Cup, Scott was mired in a slump. Since then, he has played much better, winning for the first time as a professional in Australia and more importantly, finding old form. Scott and Furyk have been perennially ranked in the top-10 in the world over the last decade for a reason. They will show you that reason again in 2010."

I think that McIlroy is a good chance to win on the PGA tour this year, would like to see Rory show up some of the PGA regulars.

Dunno bout AK, good one week, crap the next.... Once he gets the consitency they I reckon that plus his natural talent could make him a winner for sure.

virge666
4th January 2010, 01:19 PM
I think that McIlroy is a good chance to win on the PGA tour this year, would like to see Rory show up some of the PGA regulars.

Dunno bout AK, good one week, crap the next.... Once he gets the consitency they I reckon that plus his natural talent could make him a winner for sure.

+1 and +2 on all that.

Saw his wedge game on Foxtel for some stupid "get paid" exibition match with Paddy. He looked real good.

Hamo84
4th January 2010, 01:44 PM
I do think however that this could be the year for the 'younger' generation to shine. Along with McIlroy and AK I reckon players like Hunter Mahan, Dustin Johnson, Michael Sim maybe even Villegas just to name a few could really throw up some good results this year.

I would like to see the Aussies do well this year especially Marc Leishmann and James Nitties, hopefully they can repeat good 09 performances.

Hamo84
4th January 2010, 01:49 PM
+1 and +2 on all that.

Saw his wedge game on Foxtel for some stupid "get paid" exibition match with Paddy. He looked real good.

Speaking of getting paid exhibition games, I watched that ADT skills comp which had
Fred Funk/Nick Price
Hunter Mahan/Fred Couples
Boo Weekly/Brandt Snedeker
JB Holmes/Kenny Perry
a really interesting mix of younger and older players all with different strengths. Never really seen JB play but wow he gives it a wack, having said that they said he only hits half his fairways.

Cant get over how bad Nick Price's putting was at the end though, almost as bad as Snedeker in the fedex cup playoffs.

TheTrueReview
4th January 2010, 04:45 PM
JB Holmes .... Never really seen JB play but wow he gives it a wack, having said that they said he only hits half his fairways.

I followed him a fair bit at the Australian PGA a couple of years ago. It's great watching the distance he gets but his pre-shot routine is painstaking.

Hamo84
4th January 2010, 04:50 PM
yeah Gary Koch said exactly the same thing, tht it takes him ages to get to the ball. but app once he does he plays quite quick.....

would be interesting to see a round with McIlroy and Rickie Fowler, if they were first off they would be done in like 2 hours lol, they are known for being extremely quick players

leighthebee
5th January 2010, 11:50 AM
is there anyone who putts cross handed, or holding the thing like a pen, or the shaft is 6 foot long, or holds it backhanded, who could ever be anything other than a suspect putter....

Hux
5th January 2010, 09:51 PM
is there anyone who putts cross handed, or holding the thing like a pen, or the shaft is 6 foot long, or holds it backhanded, who could ever be anything other than a suspect putter....

Ahhh Peter Senior springs to mind as long putter user who can handle it.

razaar
22nd January 2010, 08:58 PM
I copied this from another forum:

"Here is a list of the putters used to win PGA tournaments in 2009 in pdf format. Interesting side note = this year is the first time that a putter with an insert has been used to win all four majors.

2009 PGA tour putter most found in the winners circle goes to Odyssey. Congratulations to Odyssey putters on a great year!

Odyssey = 13
Scotty Cameron = 12 (Tiger with 6 wins)
Ping = 5
Nike = 4
Taylormade = 3
Bettinardi = 2
SeeMore = 2
Yes = 2
Cleveland = 1
Rife = 1
TP Mills = 1 "
------------------------