PDA

View Full Version : Reshafting 3i

Fraser
2nd January 2010, 09:07 PM
found the 3i (for my set) in the shed while having a clean up.
since purchasing said set (mizuno's) have since re shafted to nippon reg flex 950's.
I don't use hybrids but like to use the 4i in the wind,
Would mainly use for punching low into wind or getting back onto fairway from trouble
so discovering the 3i for me is like finding a 50 in your fave jeans.:smt038
but it still has the dynalite gold shaft in it.

My question is = do you lot think is it worth re shafting with a nippon shaft to suit the rest?
I do have a slow swing speed of about 82mph (5i) & am off 13 at the mo.
Money isn't really an issue.
Thanks in advance.

AndyP
2nd January 2010, 09:14 PM
I've had my 3I head sitting around for ages, and I'm about to put the exact same shaft as the rest of the irons in, just for consistency and confidence.

adlo
2nd January 2010, 09:15 PM
Agree with AP.

Also, the Nippon 950 is going to more forgiving in a 3 iron, IMO.

Jarro
2nd January 2010, 09:16 PM
I'd probably stick the same shaft in to keep the set consistant.

razaar
2nd January 2010, 09:16 PM
Forget the 3-iron Frazer would be my advice. Your swing speed isn't fast enough to get much out of that club with todays low spin balls. You will still get some length but not the carry.

Fraser
2nd January 2010, 09:20 PM
I'd probably stick the same shaft in to keep the set consistant.

pisser

virge666
2nd January 2010, 10:12 PM
Forget the 3-iron Frazer would be my advice. Your swing speed isn't fast enough to get much out of that club with todays low spin balls. You will still get some length but not the carry.

Couldn't agree more.

3i is useless unless you are over the 90mph with the 5i. Especially on your mid handicap.

adlo
2nd January 2010, 10:15 PM
Hey virge, OT question, but what is the normal ratio of SS from driver to 5 iron.

ie 90mph with 5i = ??mph with driver

virge666
2nd January 2010, 10:24 PM
Hey virge, OT question, but what is the normal ratio of SS from driver to 5 iron.

ie 90mph with 5i = ??mph with driver

Depends on the person mate... sorry.

Longer the shaft in the driver - lighter the head, it all changes.

as a guess 90mph on a 5i will be 100-105 with the driver.

adlo
2nd January 2010, 10:26 PM
No probs, didn't think it would be a simple equation.... just a ball park. Cheers.

Fraser
3rd January 2010, 06:41 AM
Thanks all. will leave it as is.

AndyP
3rd January 2010, 08:46 PM
Should us slow pokes do away with the 4I too?

damoocow
3rd January 2010, 09:07 PM
I was thinking of putting these Maltby super game improvement heads on my 3/4/5 irons [currently precept ev3's] - a question for those with more knowledge than me - are these shovels all smoke and mirrors or is it likely to make a difference ?

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_MA0121_A_cn_E_671

sorry to threadjack Fraser - may make this a new thread

razaar
3rd January 2010, 11:17 PM
I don't think it is all smoke and mirrors Damo. Some people can't handle fairway woods or hybrid/utility clubs for whatever reason and these may appeal to those golfers. I'm not sure that this head would be any easier to hit than a fairway wood or hybrid for those people who play the ball forward of centre. The iron would be more suited to those who play the ball back in their stance (on purpose or not). Not sure how they would perform with a ball hit high on the face, off a tee for instance. The low centre of gravity would suggest not very well. Because it is an iron the CoG is located on the face (even with the flange) which means toe and heel hits will lose distance more so than the same strike with a wood & hybrid.

This design looks similar to the Tiger Shark irons that were around in the early 80's.