PDA

View Full Version : Qld: Royal Queensland. 4th January.

ParMaster
1st January 2010, 09:30 PM
Hi guys,

I'll be coming up to Ballina for the Duncan day, then I'll be going up to Brisbane for a day with henno (thanks:mrgreen:). While I'm up there I'm going to play a game at RQ with PeteyD and henno. We need 1 more person to make the 4th player so if anyone is interested, post here..

Off at 9:24, 1st tee. Cost is 65 dollars.

1st in gets it.

BrisVegas
1st January 2010, 09:32 PM
would love to but..... I'm back at work Monday. Have fun.

just
1st January 2010, 09:33 PM
would love to but..... I'm back at work Monday. Have fun.
x2

ParMaster
1st January 2010, 09:35 PM
Jarro?

zacdullard
1st January 2010, 09:36 PM
I would love to but I'm leaving for holidays the day after. :cry:

adlo
1st January 2010, 09:41 PM
I would love to but I'm leaving for holidays the day after. :cry:

:-k

How long does a round of golf take you, Zac?

ParMaster
1st January 2010, 09:43 PM
Jeez 13 mins and hasn't been snapped up. Suprising. :)

zacdullard
1st January 2010, 09:44 PM
:-k

How long does a round of golf take you, Zac?
I can't get to Brisbane, play and then get back again on the same day. I could but not in this situation.

Hux
1st January 2010, 09:53 PM
I'd love to swing this but unfortunately can't flick work so easy.

ParMaster
1st January 2010, 09:54 PM
No worries. Someone will take it.

Daves
1st January 2010, 09:55 PM
Pick me, pick me!

ParMaster
1st January 2010, 09:58 PM
Want it daves?

AndyP
Seems like a secret club with PeteyD and henno involved. Insulting.

Daves
Yes please.

ParMaster
1st January 2010, 10:00 PM
Ok all yours Daves. See you there.

Daves
1st January 2010, 10:04 PM
Ok all yours Daves. See you there.

Looking forward to it. Even more so if Jenny Craig is working that day:mrgreen:

adlo
1st January 2010, 10:06 PM
Seems like a secret club with PeteyD and henno involved. Insulting.
http://prahafixed.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/wambulance1.jpg

ParMaster
1st January 2010, 10:11 PM

X2. :D

Clearly I've never played there before as well so I'm keen aswell. 8-)

adlo
1st January 2010, 10:17 PM
Aswell as that, I found this quote about the course interesting aswell. You might want to read it aswell.

The perceptions of the course (RQ) are interesting.
If you understand what it is about it is really fun to play. If you are into cheap and superficial thrills you may not get it at all.
It is a unique course in Australia because of the width, lack of rough and the multitude of lines you can take from the tee or with the long seconds at the par fives.

adlo
1st January 2010, 10:22 PM
Pup, aswell as my post above, can you take some pics and post them aswell?

ParMaster
1st January 2010, 10:22 PM
I like the sound of it.

Guess we will see come monday.

Scottt
1st January 2010, 10:43 PM
FFS guys, as well = two words!

adlo
1st January 2010, 10:43 PM
You don't say!

Scottt
1st January 2010, 10:45 PM
I knew you were taking the piss. Wasn't there another besides Pup pumping the aswells out?

ParMaster
1st January 2010, 10:51 PM
Thank you ever so much for pointing out my idiocy, Scott. :)

Correction made. Aswell as another mistake I found in my post.

;)

ParMaster
1st January 2010, 10:55 PM
Pup, aswell as my post above, can you take some pics and post them aswell?

But that would take some effort.. And I hate that. :razz:

Probably take some pics but not a hole by hole crap thingy.

sms316
2nd January 2010, 08:44 AM

X2. :D

Wankers.

Daves - RQ is a refined club. We don't allow people to use novelty balls on the course. ;)

(btw - I am working).

henno
2nd January 2010, 08:48 AM
Denim and black socks is fine right? I'm also thinking of wearing my broncos jersey and double-pluggers.

sms316
2nd January 2010, 08:50 AM
Try it and see.

:twisted:

leighthebee
2nd January 2010, 08:52 AM
yeah, i had heard nothing but bad things about the course changes.

place is great IMO. Very wide (which suits my current horrible game of playing twice a year) and is presented as you would expect.

greens are really consistant (hard for anywhere north of Bonville)

thoroughly enjoyed it....

Jarro
2nd January 2010, 08:52 AM
$65 is pretty cheap for RQ ? :-k

Scottt
2nd January 2010, 09:07 AM
J to the Arro: I'd say Pup has reciprocals and the other three are paying member's guest rate.

Ned
2nd January 2010, 09:14 AM
Wankers.

Daves - RQ is a refined club. We allow people to use novelty balls on the course. ;)

(btw - I am there but will be doing nothing as usual).

Denim and black socks is fine right? I'm also thinking of wearing my broncos jersey and double-pluggers.

You forgot the beanie!!

No problem on all these excellent ideas, you wont have a problem from me when you turn up to play.
btw - I am there but will be doing nothing as usual.
:smt023

$65 is not cheap for ME=;

ParMaster
2nd January 2010, 11:20 AM
J to the Arro: I'd say Pup has reciprocals and the other three are paying member's guest rate.

Correct Scott.

markTHEblake
2nd January 2010, 11:39 AM
SMS, can one play as a guest of a member without the guest playing?

someone wanted pics, this is from Sept 2006 (under construction), and i think is the 9th green . Located approx where the 2nd tee used to be.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7079/picture009bt.th.jpg (http://img197.imageshack.us/i/picture009bt.jpg/)

Jarro
2nd January 2010, 11:49 AM

Well yeah, that's right ... but i actually thought $65 as a guests rate was pretty cheap for RQ :?

Ned
2nd January 2010, 12:04 PM

:roll:

sms316
2nd January 2010, 01:44 PM

someone wanted pics, this is from Sept 2006 (under construction), and i think is the 9th green . Located approx where the 2nd tee used to be.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7079/picture009bt.th.jpg (http://img197.imageshack.us/i/picture009bt.jpg/)
Umm.... no.

18th green.

markTHEblake
2nd January 2010, 02:08 PM
Umm.... no.
fair enough, some places allow it. I played Victoria as a guest without the member present, didn't even have to pay.

Pity (for me) as my friend has offered to take me there one day but he cant play in recent years for health issues.

18th green.
its a par 5 isnt it, good finishing hole into the wind

so what used to be the 18th hole is now basically the 9th? Was a long hole but downwind and slightly downhill from memory didnt make it that hard.

sms316
2nd January 2010, 02:18 PM
its a par 5 isnt it, good finishing hole into the wind

so what used to be the 18th hole is now basically the 9th? Was a long hole but downwind and slightly downhill from memory didnt make it that hard.
I don't really know the old layout. What is now the 9th is as you describe, with the green being about 40m in front of the practice green.

From what I have been told, the current course really doesn't have much in common with the old one. The 18th (par 5 into the prevailing breeze) fairway used to be the 1st and 2nd I gather (played in the opposite direction).

markTHEblake
2nd January 2010, 02:34 PM
I don't really know the old layout. What is now the 9th is as you describe, with the green being about 40m in front of the practice green.

From what I have been told, the current course really doesn't have much in common with the old one. The 18th (par 5 into the prevailing breeze) fairway used to be the 1st and 2nd I gather (played in the opposite direction).

This might help, i took the advantage of saving this before it disappeared.
Looking at the current Google maps, the old 5th and 6th appear to be the same, (basically the two holes running west then east just below 1st green)

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/3306/royalqueenslandwest.jpg

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/5210/royalqueenslandeast.jpg

Before the Bridge the 11th was a 415m par four, and 12th was a 160-170m par 3 to the same green as the pic, I suppose they had to move the 11th green back to make it shorter as it would have been in the shade. if not it doesnt really make sense why they did that.

http://http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/3306/royalqueenslandwest.jpg

sms316
2nd January 2010, 02:44 PM
Before the Bridge the 11th was a 415m par four, and 12th was a 160-170m par 3 to the same green as the pic, I suppose they had to move the 11th green back to make it shorter as it would have been in the shade. if not it doesnt really make sense why they did that.

I could have a random guess and say it was so they could fit in the extra par 3. There are actually 20 holes at RQ. There are two fully maintained par 3 holes which were used extensively while the course was being altered.

Those two holes remain today, so if there is any course works going on, the course can be re-routed so golfers still play 18 proper holes.

markTHEblake
2nd January 2010, 02:51 PM
The two par 3's are to the north side of 15,16 &17, so not sure how changing 11 & 12 could have influenced that.
Perhaps they changed 17 to a Par 4 from a longish 5, because as you can see, the tee shot still goes under the bridge.

I played there when they were hammering in the poles for the first bridge, whilst the memory is of course fuzzy i do recall that neither 11 nor 12 seemed to be affected by it at all. All we had to do is make sure we didnt putt the same time as the hammer fell as the ground shook.

sms316
2nd January 2010, 02:54 PM
You have lost me now. I haven't got a clue where 15/16/17 used to be. 15 & 16 now border the river, with 17 being a 200m par 3 into the NW corner.

markTHEblake
2nd January 2010, 03:04 PM
On the above pics, the west side of the bridge, plays going out along the river then back
12, 13, along the river, 14 a par three heading north, and 15, 16 back towards the bridge. the first extra par 3 sits between and north of 15th green and 16th tee
The 17th tee goes back under the bridge heading west.

i was mistaken about a 2nd extra par three, from the above pic i have no idea where it is.

sms316
2nd January 2010, 03:11 PM
OK. If I have that correct, what used to be the 17th is now the 13th (par 3) and the spare par 3.

What was the 18th is now the 1st (in the opposite direction).

markTHEblake
2nd January 2010, 03:19 PM
The Yellow holes are the front, the Blue holes are the back, and the green hole is the spare one. Am sure you can figure out the hole numbers from that :-)
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4963/royalqueenslandwest1.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1908/royalqueenslandeast1.jpg

Jarro
2nd January 2010, 05:23 PM
I played there with a mate years ago and he hit the bridge with his driver on the 17th tee :shock:

The ball ended up 10 meters behind us.

Funny thing is, he shot even par off the stick for the front nine ... with the course still setup as it was for the PGA event the day before.

adlo
2nd January 2010, 05:33 PM
But that would take some effort.. And I hate that. :razz:

Probably take some pics but not a hole by hole crap thingy.
No, not a hole-by-hole, just some pics please. I am very curious. There are so many conflicting opinions about this course it seems. Would love to see why.

yeah, i had heard nothing but bad things about the course changes.

place is great IMO. Very wide (which suits my current horrible game of playing twice a year) and is presented as you would expect.

greens are really consistant (hard for anywhere north of Bonville)

thoroughly enjoyed it....
Good to see you back Leighthebee.

I think people who don't like it (from what I am told- I have no knowledge on the matter) do not appreciate the various angles and lines of play you can take on the course ie the architecture. Hopefully OzGolf does filter the "a" word out.

I find it hilarious that golfers don't understand golf courses with ample width. Maybe "we" (golfers-not me though) just prefer the course to tell us where to hit it so we don't have to think.

sms316
2nd January 2010, 05:36 PM
I can give you a simple reason why a few people don't like RQ. A lot of the bunkers are shallow from front to back and reasonably deep. Combine this with reasonably smallish greens and I see a lot of knifing going on at the 9th green which results in a fair bit of bunker-to-bunker activity.

I guess some people overlook their own lack of abililty and blame the course.

Daves
2nd January 2010, 05:36 PM
MTB, would you mind marking up those maps with the hole numbers and reposting please? There is no Neo GPS map for RQ, but I can do up a Google Earth version on my Phone with mScorecard if I know which holes are which.

Thanks

Dave

The Yellow holes are the front, the Blue holes are the back, and the green hole is the spare one. Am sure you can figure out the hole numbers from that :-)
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4963/royalqueenslandwest1.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1908/royalqueenslandeast1.jpg

markTHEblake
2nd January 2010, 08:52 PM
MTB, would you mind marking up those maps with the hole numbers and reposting please?

Its the old course Dave, no point!

If you really want to know the hole numbers for historical purposes, its not hard to follow the routing.

Daves
2nd January 2010, 08:57 PM
Its the old course Dave, no point!

If you really want to know the hole numbers for historical purposes, its not hard to follow the routing.

Doh!

Explains why I could not reconcile your map with the current Google Earth images!

Hux
2nd January 2010, 09:10 PM
Dave

I am going to hopefully download RQ and Ballina for the igolf now and put up onto Henno's site.

Daves
2nd January 2010, 09:18 PM
Dave

I am going to hopefully download RQ and Ballina for the igolf now and put up onto Henno's site.

Good man!:smt023

PeteyD
4th January 2010, 07:17 AM
Interesting the new course stays west of the bridge altogether. Mapped it last night using GE, some of the holes were still being developped but from the course guide on the site I think I have it right. See you there gents, looks like real links golf weather today too!

Jarro
4th January 2010, 07:21 AM
Pics people, don't forget some pics please ;)

PeteyD
4th January 2010, 07:37 AM
camera is packed. As long as there are not loads of peeps, I will do many photos to annoy Pup :D

Jarro
4th January 2010, 08:13 AM
That'd be great.

henno said he might also take a camera :)

henno
4th January 2010, 08:42 AM
I'll be taking a camera. How man photos I take depends on how busy it is and how much it rains.

sms316
4th January 2010, 08:43 AM
Interesting the new course stays west of the bridge altogether.
You do realise there is a construction site which necessitated the course change in the first place?

From the 14th tee you can actually see a flagstick still sitting in one of the old greens.

AndyP
4th January 2010, 08:53 AM
I'll be taking a camera. How man photos I take depends on how busy it is and how much it rains.
Photos of the course would be preferred to photos of men, unless jarro has made a special request via PM.

Jarro
4th January 2010, 08:55 AM
Photos of the course would be preferred to photos of men, unless jarro has made a special request via PM.

Negative.

No special requests from yours truly, especially none of the melonheads playing there today :roll:

sms316
4th January 2010, 08:58 AM
At least the A-team are on today in the Golf Service Centre.

:mrgreen:

adlo
4th January 2010, 06:47 PM
How did this go? Pics?

Grunt
4th January 2010, 06:48 PM
Did you manage to keep the Pup up there?

PeteyD
4th January 2010, 06:53 PM
There are many pics, we had a leisurely round with the course all to ourselves. Best course I have ever played.

adlo
4th January 2010, 06:54 PM
Great news Petey, can't wait to see pics of this love/hate course.

henno
4th January 2010, 07:01 PM
It's a love course for me. Easily the best course I have played. Just beautiful.

Pup played well despite some bad luck here and there with approach shots not holding the green; 2-over with one birdie and three bogeys (one on the last) from memory. It's probably no surprise that he seems right at home in a howling breeze. I had a couple of quads and a couple of triples and much like Ballina yesterday, every par was a scramble and a long-ish putt.

Pics when I can be arsed. Right now I have a few beers to punish.

adlo
4th January 2010, 07:03 PM
Punish away......

Jarro
4th January 2010, 07:05 PM
Right now I have a few beers to punish.

After 'hosting' Pup for a couple of days, i reckon henno will have to knock over a carton before he starts to feel normal again :mrgreen:

AndyP
4th January 2010, 07:06 PM
Better than Brookwater? Wow!

Jarro
4th January 2010, 07:08 PM
Better than Brookwater? Wow!

Surely not :shock: [-(

I'm keen to see these pics now :-k

PeteyD
4th January 2010, 07:09 PM
Yea. Better than Brooky. Totally different course. A lot of options of the tee on most holes, fairways are wide and there are masses of bunkers.

It probably made more of an impression as there is nothing really like it that I have played before.

Daves
4th January 2010, 07:15 PM
Some of the best bunkers and bunkering I have seen, and lots of big waste bunkers as well.

The sand is river sand, so heavy and coarse. With the rain it was firm, but very consistent all the way round. And would be relatively easy to maintain I would think. Raking after hitting the shot is a very easy and quick exercise. The grass verges are allowed to grow over and down into the bunkers, something you don't see that often.

henno
4th January 2010, 07:17 PM
I think it has knocked Brooky off the top of my list, and it's no secret that I love Brooky.

RQ is like nothing else in SEQ. I'll be honest, I went there with the expectation of it not living up to the hype like so many other courses, but was pleasantly surprised and impressed.

Daves
4th January 2010, 07:22 PM
Arborists would love the place, so many mighty Morton Bay figs, big Bunya pines etc. Yet the fairways are wide and sparsely treed.

henno
4th January 2010, 07:24 PM
Arborists would love the place

... because they get a $300,000 gig moving a tree 100m. :shock:

razaar
4th January 2010, 07:24 PM
Some of the best bunkers and bunkering I have seen, and lots of big waste bunkers as well.

The sand is river sand, so heavy and coarse. With the rain it was firm, but very consistent all the way round. And would be relatively easy to maintain I would think. Raking after hitting the shot is a very easy and quick exercise. The grass verges are allowed to grow over and down into the bunkers, something you don't see that often.
Actually the sand came from a pit on the western side of the course when the course was being rebuilt.

just
4th January 2010, 07:34 PM
Actually the sand came from a pit on the western side of the course when the course was being rebuilt.
I doubt it Ray. The sand over that whole area is fine dark silt, no coarse river sand anywhere in the area.

henno
4th January 2010, 07:48 PM
Maybe across the river? I know for a fact that the shore around the Colmslie area is all course river sand.

adlo
4th January 2010, 07:49 PM
Maybe across the river? I know for a fact that the shore around the Colmslie area is all course river sand.

Really?

Jarro
4th January 2010, 07:51 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Z6Ah0ADZCbVOHM:http://www.phone-forensics.com/forum/images/smilies/extra1/this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif
(http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Z6Ah0ADZCbVOHM:http://www.phone-forensics.com/forum/images/smilies/extra1/this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif)

henno
4th January 2010, 07:59 PM
Really?

Please see:

Right now I have a few beers to punish.

adlo
4th January 2010, 08:02 PM
Please see:

:lol:

See 1:30

t-3qncy5Qfk

Moe Norman
4th January 2010, 08:03 PM
glad you all liked it, its easily the best course in QLD for mine.

excellent that some people here are also in agreeance!

Yossarian
4th January 2010, 08:11 PM
:lol:

See 1:30

t-3qncy5Qfk

Embedding fail.

adlo
4th January 2010, 08:14 PM
Shit, forget it.

goughy
4th January 2010, 08:54 PM
My old man played it with his doctor who is a member there recently. It was a Friday arvo and litterally no one was on the course. No one was in the club house afterwards. His doc said that that was one of the attractions of the course!

adlo
4th January 2010, 08:55 PM
Is it costly to join?

just
4th January 2010, 08:57 PM
Annuals are reasonable but joining fee is steep.

adlo
4th January 2010, 08:59 PM
Bugger. Good for those that can afford noms though.

henno
4th January 2010, 09:03 PM
My old man played it with his doctor who is a member there recently. It was a Friday arvo and litterally no one was on the course. No one was in the club house afterwards. His doc said that that was one of the attractions of the course!

We let two guys through early on (3rd hole?) and barely saw another body for the rest of the day.

The annuals are very reasonable in my view. The joining fees and waiting list is killer, but that's what keeps scumbags like me from joining eventhough it's the closest course to my house after Wynnum. ;)

BrisVegas
4th January 2010, 09:04 PM

It's a piffling amount if one has the means.;)

just
4th January 2010, 09:06 PM
You joining then?

razaar
4th January 2010, 09:35 PM
I doubt it Ray. The sand over that whole area is fine dark silt, no coarse river sand anywhere in the area.
Kid you not mate, all the bunker sand ( it doesn't look like sand but course grit) was reclaimed on course during construction. Helped to keep the cost down, according to a past RQ captain.

Hux
4th January 2010, 09:37 PM
I was discussing this with Missus Hux who reckons that the noms are immaterial if I really want to be a member there. $2550 a year but close to $9k noms so $12k for your first year.
She may says its immaterial but its a lot of coin for the first year....no repayment schedule either to ease the lump sum pain. Still RQ is on my list of considerations due to its proximity to the Casa del Huxley - 10mins from home is attractive. And the fact I could be one of the most popular Ozgolfers once I had membership :-)

Another few years at Bribie anyway - I'll stay there until Dad gives the game away which will be in the next 5 years I reckon as he is not one to keep playing if he is just on a continual slide out (it's taken a couple of years for him to slide out from 14 to 19 which he is reasonably competitive at - not bad for 75)

Hux
4th January 2010, 09:38 PM
Kid you not mate, all the bunker sand ( it doesn't look like sand but course grit) was reclaimed on course during construction. Helped to keep the cost down, according to a past RQ captain.

If you read the bit about the original construction of the course you find it was built on dredged sand from the river at the start of the last century so there would be plenty of sand there to reclaim.

Daves
4th January 2010, 09:56 PM
If you (can) amortise the joining fee over 10 years it does not look so bad.

BrisVegas
4th January 2010, 10:13 PM
I was discussing this with Missus Hux who reckons that the noms are immaterial if I really want to be a member there. $2550 a year but close to $9k noms so $12k for your first year.
She may says its immaterial but its a lot of coin for the first year....no repayment schedule either to ease the lump sum pain. Still RQ is on my list of considerations due to its proximity to the Casa del Huxley - 10mins from home is attractive. And the fact I could be one of the most popular Ozgolfers once I had membership :-)

$2550 a year is very good for what you get. ie. golf on a quality course whenever you want. You're work situation would allow you to get more than just one game in per week too, so you're value proposition is excellent.

$9k noms also isn't so bad. You'd spend that on a set of rims and tyres on the Falc easy. Is that transferrable?

Daves
4th January 2010, 10:19 PM
Then you add the benefits of reciprocal access, if you can use them;

http://www.rqgolf.com.au/guests/golf/reciprocal.mhtml

henno
4th January 2010, 10:19 PM
Is that transferrable?

What, just rock up at RQ and say, "Hi, I don't have the cash for the joining fee but here *plonk* you can have these rims as payment".

:-P

ParMaster
4th January 2010, 10:23 PM
Well I'm back in Sydney and (un)fortunateely had a safe trip home. :D

No, not a hole-by-hole, just some pics please. I am very curious. There are so many conflicting opinions about this course it seems. Would love to see why.

Nah will be doing a hole by hole mate. I think I have to, just so I can do the place justice.

Good to see you back Leighthebee.

I think people who don't like it (from what I am told- I have no knowledge on the matter) do not appreciate the various angles and lines of play you can take on the course ie the architecture. Hopefully OzGolf does filter the "a" word out.

Probably true. I wouldn't say the fairways are massively wide, but the angles and options that they bring are just amazing.

I find it hilarious that golfers don't understand golf courses with ample width. Maybe "we" (golfers-not me though) just prefer the course to tell us where to hit it so we don't have to think.

Sounds plausable. But TBH, I've never played a golf course where I've had to think so much (architecturally that is) because of all the options that abound.

camera is packed. As long as there are not loads of peeps, I will do many photos to annoy Pup :D

:razz:

Funny that because I took more pics than you all combined! :D

How did this go? Pics?

Will do a review on GCA adlo.

Did you manage to keep the Pup up there?

Fortunately I'm out of that hellhole (for now. 8-) :razz:

glad you all liked it, its easily the best course in QLD for mine.

excellent that some people here are also in agreeance!

Best course in QLD I've ever played moe (only one I have played:mrgreen:).
I enjoyed it very very much though.

Funny because henno was saying to me almost all the members are either doctors, laywers, or the like. I like it when not many people are around (like today) because you can take the course at your own pace and it's not too serious.

Hux
4th January 2010, 10:30 PM
$2550 a year is very good for what you get. ie. golf on a quality course whenever you want. You're work situation would allow you to get more than just one game in per week too, so you're value proposition is excellent.

$9k noms also isn't so bad. You'd spend that on a set of rims and tyres on the Falc easy. Is that transferrable?

The website doesn't show anything about it being a transferrable option. $9k noms is probably cheap compared to down south I guess but its still a lot of coin. I can't see the ute getting the equivalent spent on it :-)

Not sure about work making it easier to get more than 1 game in a week. I start at 7 and finish at 5 or later Monday to Friday except once a month when I work late start Friday...certainly would make a game before work on the following Saturday a workable proposition.

Actually I might do this sooner rather than later...I'd love to be SMS's boss :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Hux
4th January 2010, 10:45 PM
Then you add the benefits of reciprocal access, if you can use them;

http://www.rqgolf.com.au/guests/golf/reciprocal.mhtml

Yep there are some crackers on the list. You could be very popular on interstate trips too I imagine

adlo
4th January 2010, 10:48 PM
Just awesome reciprocals. Wow.

Pup, look forward to review, I am enjoying PeteyD's photos very much.

Originally posted by Pup

Sounds plausable. But TBH, I've never played a golf course where I've had to think so much (architecturally that is) because of all the options that abound.

That is exactly what I am saying mate.

ParMaster
4th January 2010, 11:08 PM
I wish NSW tried to get some more recips aswell but I'm bloody content with the ones atm.

And seriously Hux, joining RQ isn't a change of golf club, it would be a change of lifestyle. If I were you I'd be doing everything I could to get in because once your in, your in. It opens up so many other things in your golfing life aswell and you'd be suprised how many people you meet.

"Just do it"

Moe Norman
4th January 2010, 11:28 PM
Pup,

I was on the waiting list at RQ for 2 years. I signed up immediately when Clayts was announced as doing the renovation. 2 weeks from graduating from the waiting list to membership, the noms went from $6k to $9k. I politely asked if I could pay that off in instalments and the reply was 'sure, you can pay it off over 2 months'.

At that stage, I had just bought a new house (30 seconds from Brisbane Golf Club) and my wife was pregnant with our 2nd child. I ended up withdrawing an opting to join Brisbane GC. I regret this big time, as 2 years later I am now a limited playing member at BGC and have burnt the $3k to join a great club, but a very average course. I chose against RQ as it's a 1/2 hour drive and I literally didn't have $9k sitting in the bank, my old man offered to pay but I stubbornly refused and at that stage I hadn't evisaged it would be as good as it is.

Hindsight is a real b#tch, but I could have had a couple of good years there and then lapsed onto the limited playing rights deal for a few year while I don't have time to play, only to return to see out my days at RQ. I'll probably jump back on the waiting list again in the next few years, and when it comes up, hopefully I'll be in a suitable financial position to join. A work colleague has been a member for 15 years and has played 10 games and didn't even know the course had been changed, so thats why the course was empty - although BGC is also generally emty except Saturdays.

If anyone is seriously considering joining, don't make the same mistake I made. However, I'm lead to believe that the waiting list now exceeds 6 years and remember you can't just rock up and join, you need a proposer and 2 seconders to put your application in.

As for comparable costs, its a bit more competitive on the Sandbelt and they have all dropped their prices in the last 12 months and are much more progressive for people under 30.

Eg. RM, if you're under 25 and know the right amount of members, $5k noms and $3300 subs and straight in. Metro, $4k noms if under 30 and can pay that off until you're 30. $3500 subs. If you join at 18 you can pay the $4k off over 12 years! If over 30, you're up for $12k and about a 2 year wait. RM, over 30 I wasn't provided with the figures. I believe Vic is $15k, but would be doing a good sub 30 deal as well, and about 5 year wait. Anecdotally, KH has shortened the wait and lowered the noms as well. Membership on the andbelt is very affordable these days, but the clincher is having the sufficient proposer and seconders.

adlo
4th January 2010, 11:32 PM
Great story, Hansel

That's a bitch, Moe. Seems like you made what you thought was the best decision at the time. Hopefully you can get in there in the end. You are young, you'll get plenty of time to enjoy it once you are in.

Moe Norman
4th January 2010, 11:37 PM
I was also a bit peeved at the $3k jump so close to the finish line. My proposer is a good family friend and was on the committee at the time and never even let on about it!

He then did try to have it waived so I could pay the nom as at the time of the nominating, but understandably they opted not to relax the rules.

adlo
4th January 2010, 11:40 PM
$3k is a hefty jump too!

Moe Norman
4th January 2010, 11:45 PM
the justification at the time was that they wanted to have a similar ratio of subs to noms of 'like establishments' elsewhere. At the time it was close to $20k at plces like RM and Metro to get in, so the ratio was ~6:1, so RQ had initially proposed to go to $12k, but it was decided to be $9k.

Ironically, the courses they were looking to replicate now have ratios of around 3 or 4 to 1 and very progressive deals for members aged under 30. None of the 3 top shelf clubs in Brisbane offer anything for under 30's, but rather only do intermediate up to 24.

henno
4th January 2010, 11:54 PM
Let's be honest. They had to sting one hundred people $3000 to pay for "that tree".

http://imgur.com/t9Wxjl.jpg (http://imgur.com/t9Wxj.jpg)

markTHEblake
5th January 2010, 12:01 AM
FWIW, a freind of mine was a member at Royal Canberra, but as had lived in qld for some time got his membership transferred to RQ - just like that. Straight in no waiting nor nominations.

He said that the 'Royals' do that, obviously in the Reciprocal rights agreement, although I concur that not all reciprocal agreements are the same, ie what RQ and RC do might not be the same as RQ and RM.

Now that reminds me, a few of the bank johnnies in Darwin that were from Adelaide, would join DGC in the last year of their tenure. They said that this got them into one of the big clubs in Adelaide, instead of a long waiting list (not sure about noms)

Possibly worth while inspecting the reciprocal agreements of many golf clubs. Not all are just about green fees, Might be some genuine gold mines unearthed there.

Moe Norman
5th January 2010, 12:21 AM
My mate moved up from Melbourne and was a member of Victoria. Reciprocals give them no waiting list and no need for proposer or seconder. You still need pay the noms, this is the case with most reciprocal arrangements, although sometimes they lower the nom, but unlikely. Your mate coming from Canberra, would have paid the noms.

RQ did offer my buddy the option of paying 120% of the subs for the first year and no noms, in case it turned into a short move, but they only allow this for one year. after that he was up for full $9k and normal subs.

markTHEblake
5th January 2010, 12:31 AM
Unlikely. Your mate coming from Canberra, would have paid the noms.

He did say that he didnt pay the noms, so maybe what he said was true, that its just a Royals thing.

Moe Norman
5th January 2010, 09:10 AM
how long ago was this?

Another friend went Royal sydney -> Royal Melbourne and had to pay noms

BrisVegas
5th January 2010, 09:22 AM
the justification at the time was that they wanted to have a similar ratio of subs to noms of 'like establishments' elsewhere. At the time it was close to $20k at plces like RM and Metro to get in, so the ratio was ~6:1, so RQ had initially proposed to go to $12k, but it was decided to be $9k.

Ironically, the courses they were looking to replicate now have ratios of around 3 or 4 to 1 and very progressive deals for members aged under 30. None of the 3 top shelf clubs in Brisbane offer anything for under 30's, but rather only do intermediate up to 24.

What is the nom at Brisbane GC now Moe? It's quite cheap for annual subs I thought, but I remember you saying the noms were going up substantially.

Our joining fee (transferrable, with strings attached) is $14k versus annual subs of $2700 so it's about 5:1. Although if you go for the non-transferrable joining fee it's half that at $7k. I went for that and am paying it off over 3 years. The club actually lets you pay the subs AND noms in monthly instalments which is nice for poor bastards like me. :wink:

We don't have any deals for under 24's or under 30's. About the only thing they do is waive the joining fee for kids on family memberships who become individual members.

I think with golf clubs like RQ you have to think long term / big picture. It's a lot of money to get into, but it's a club you would plan to be part of for the rest of your life. The networking and recip clubs would be worth it on their own, not to mention the excellent quality course at your disposal.

Daves
5th January 2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks again to Pup for the chance to play RQ, most appreciated. My golf was crap, but thoroughly enjoyed the day and the company. Pup can talk that is for sure!:lol: I managed to only miss 3 fairways and was driving it really well, but just could not get anything happening with the rest of my game. 1 GIR and 37 putts tells the story:(

Much thanks also to the Purple Flash for making sure we were looked after and generally amusing us with his Gheyness!.

Hux
5th January 2010, 10:28 PM
Hmmmm looks like I will need to find myself some proposers so I can get on the list. 5-6 years is my time frame to - I'df be spewing if in 5 years time I decided it was for me and didn't act.

Moe Norman
5th January 2010, 11:31 PM
Vegas,

The noms at BGC were $3600 from memory. There is currently a proposal before the members for this to increase, as I'm no longer an 'Ordinary Member' I haven't seen it, so not sure what the new proposed figure is. Probably around the $5k mark I'd imagine, as there is now a waiting list in place to join, so they can up it a little without any immediate issues.

I think with golf clubs like RQ you have to think long term / big picture. It's a lot of money to get into, but it's a club you would plan to be part of for the rest of your life.

That is exactly why I was prepared to spend the money, but unfortunately they wanted it in a lump sum, up front and raised it by 30% 2 weeks before I was due to join. At the time, the reno wasn;t complete and I didn't anticipate it being as good. Dad offered the coin, but I didn't want to still be a leach when I have kids of my own.

In hindsight, I should have remained on the list for another year and saved the extra $3k. At the end of the day, if I stay up here for good, it;s likely to be where I end up, just when is the question. I went through the motions at RM and Metro last year when there was a chance I was moving to Vic, but it fell through with the mrs, and its likely I'll be under her thumb up here for good!

The networking and recip clubs would be worth it on their own, not to mention the excellent quality course at your disposal.

The networking at BGC is fine, in fact about every 3rd bloke I play with is a member at both RQ and BGC anyway! As for recips, I don't have trouble getting on anywhere due to family and friends, its the day to day playing of a high quality and enjoyable layout, that attracts me to RQ.

BGC is a great club, it just has a bad course and now has had consecutive committee's clueless in regards to how to fix it (they actually make it worse) but at least the new one is fixing the club finances.

Hux
6th January 2010, 09:31 PM
I need to talk with you. I am seriously looking at joining RQ and the 5-6yr wait means I might as well do it now.

henno
6th January 2010, 09:33 PM
I am seriously looking at joining RQ

This I like. Don't forget your good buddy henno in your rise to the top. :mrgreen:

Hux
6th January 2010, 09:46 PM
Henno who?

henno
6th January 2010, 09:49 PM
That's the last time I drive you and Ned's drunken arses to and from golf. :razz:

Moe Norman
6th January 2010, 10:05 PM
I need to talk with you. I am seriously looking at joining RQ and the 5-6yr wait means I might as well do it now.

I hope you know some members then!

PeteyD
7th January 2010, 07:43 AM
I hope you know some members then!

This is the key to it.

Choppa
13th May 2010, 06:11 PM
Not included in 2010 POTY - no scores

ParMaster
13th May 2010, 06:24 PM
I don't remember the scores, sorry.

Daves
13th May 2010, 07:07 PM
I don't remember the scores, sorry.

It wasn't a comp round and more of an exploratory visit. I don't think we actually collected formal scores for this one?

ParMaster
13th May 2010, 07:09 PM
Nah I don't think we did mate.

PeteyD
13th May 2010, 07:40 PM
No scores. Was much site seeing and mucking about.