PDA

View Full Version : The OZgolf cricket debates: Brett Lee

AndyP
28th February 2005, 01:43 PM
Lee creates selection headache

Cricinfo staff
February 28, 2005

Brett Lee's intimidating one-day form is leading Australia to another seriously difficult decision when the Test series against New Zealand begins next week. Ricky Ponting said it would be "almost impossible" to leave any of the four fast bowlers out, but with Shane Warne returning the third spot shapes as a contest between Lee and Michael Kasprowicz.

Lee's speed in the five-match one-day series, which Australia sealed 3-0 at Auckland on Saturday, has been frightening, and the New Zealand batsmen have found no way to cope as he's picked up seven wickets. Michael Papps was the latest to be upset when he was hit on the helmet by two bouncers at Eden Park and taken to hospital with concussion.

Stephen Fleming has been unable to reach double figures against Lee, who has dismissed him each time in the series. Fleming said Lee's speed had unsettled his batsmen and they weren't used to the jump in pace. "In our competition we don't have a lot of bowlers operating in the 140s, let alone the 150 area," he said. "There's only really two in the world doing it so it's not something that comes along every series. He is bowling pretty quick and doing what any good fast bowler should do - he's unsettling and bowling with intensity."

Ponting said Australia had four bowlers in the world's top 12 and it would be difficult to separate them for the first Test at Christchurch from March 6. "It's going to be almost impossible to leave one of the four out," he said. "Lee's doing everything in his power to give himself the best chance, but so are the other guys. All of those four bowlers are stats-wise in the best 10 or 12 bowlers in the world."

Lee, who hasn't played a Test in 14 months, told AAP he could bowl even faster now he was fully recovered from ankle surgery last March. "I'm not going flat out," he said. "I know I've got a bit more in the tank, which is a good thing too, and I sort of feel comfortable bowling within myself." His only problem has been with the occasional waist-high full-toss, and he delivered another one on Saturday that angered Brendon McCullum.

Australia are expected to name their Test squad on Wednesday, but Kasprowicz is again looking vulnerable for the final XI despite a spectacular 2004 that reaped 47 wickets in 13 Tests.

---------------

In my opinion, the selectors should not have a headache at all.
Kaspa is not out of form, so why would you replace him?

The selectors have set a precedent with the batters re Martyn, Hayden, Symonds, who have been given the chance to find form when having an extended bad patch, as long as Australia continue winning.
Kaspa has a great record and Australia keep winning. So I don't think he should be dropped, even if he is a Qlder.

Kasprowicz better hope that he doesn't get any sort of injury, because I'm sure the selectors are looking for an excuse to drop him, and get Lee in the side.
They should at least wait until Lee can bowl a ball at least one metre within his target length, instead of dangerous full tosses.

Your thoughts?

Onewood
28th February 2005, 02:23 PM
Thats a nobrainer AP ofcourse he should be in the side :shock: :roll:

Fishman Dan
28th February 2005, 02:25 PM
Do i need to bring back the Brett Lee avatar?

AndyP
28th February 2005, 02:29 PM
Do i need to bring back the Brett Lee avatar?
You mean the one in his pyjamas?

Jarro
28th February 2005, 02:32 PM
He'll probably get the nod over Kaspa. Let's face it, he's more intimidating than Kaspa and the selectors will find it hard to ignore his great form in the ODI's.

Kaspa hasn't done anything wrong, it's just that Lee has to find a place in this test series so he can get some form for the upcoming Ashes series latter in the year.

McMw
28th February 2005, 02:37 PM
a little gamesmanship from Flemming???

sure...why not...talk lee up...let him blow his head up bigger than it already is...then when he gets the cherry in the first test and starts bouncing everyone and everyball, his contol gets off the boil, easy pickings...

I'll still have Kaspa in for the first test, get the consistent line and length, get the win, and perhaps bring Lee back in for the final test...

Fishman Dan
28th February 2005, 03:01 PM
Kaspa hasn't done anything wrong, it's just that Lee has to find a place in this test series so he can get some form for the upcoming Ashes series latter in the year.

That's they key, but Brett Lee didn't fall out of favour in the first place either, rather he succumbed to an injury and Kaspa has been good enough to hold that spot since.

AndyP
28th February 2005, 03:23 PM
Lee has had consistency issues before, and I'm not sure that bowling good 10 over spells for the last few ODIs, proves that has changed.

terryand
28th February 2005, 03:26 PM
Lee has had consistency issues before, and I'm not sure that bowling good 10 over spells for the last few ODIs, proves that has changed.

Ditto.

Terry.

Fishman Dan
28th February 2005, 03:27 PM

He nearly knocked a guy out cold, that's good enough for me. Quality stuff.

Besides, he's knocked over more top-end batsmen in the 2 recent ODI series than any other, and makes Flemming look like Mundine with the offer of a quality fight with Danny Green.

3oneday
28th February 2005, 03:40 PM
They must leave Kaspa in..............

It's the only way some of these tests will get past 3 days :lol: :lol:

They are all running scared of Lee, if he doesn't knock them all out, they'll all retire with broken hips :shock: :P :oops:

:lol: :lol:

AndyP
28th February 2005, 04:04 PM
For interest's sake, I thought I would go and have a look at their stats comparison

....................Mat......O.........R......W... .BBI....BBM.....Ave....Econ...SR...5..10

Lee.................37...1230..4402..139..5/47..8/123..31.66..3.57..53.0..4..0
Lee(last 10)....10...367.4..1379..37...4/63..7/135..37.27..3.75..59.6..0..0

Kaspa..............30..962.2..2855..94...7/36..8/92....30.37..2.96..61.4..4..0
Kaspa(last 10).10..298.1....814..35...7/39..7/34....23.25..2.73..51.1..2..0

Fishman Dan
28th February 2005, 04:13 PM
For interest's sake, I thought I would go and have a look at their stats comparison

....................Mat......O.........R......W... .BBI....BBM.....Ave....Econ...SR...5..10

Lee.................37...1230..4402..139..5/47..8/123..31.66..3.57..53.0..4..0
Lee(last 10)....10...367.4..1379..37...4/63..7/135..37.27..3.75..59.6..0..0

Kaspa..............30..962.2..2855..94...7/36..8/92....30.37..2.96..61.4..4..0
Kaspa(last 10).10..298.1....814..35...7/39..7/34....23.25..2.73..51.1..2..0

You forgot;

* Ave Pace
* Number of batsmen hit
* No. batsmen retired due to being hit

And of course batting average ;)

Hey Rain Man - let's not to forget that some of Lee's last 10 matches were in Sri Lanka/India (sub-continent), and at least 5 of Kaspa's last 10 were in Australia smashing teams on our home pitches (yes, he played in India as well).

AndyP
28th February 2005, 04:42 PM
I wasn't building a case with those stats, I was just making them available for everyone's viewing pleasure.

You forgot;

* Ave Pace
Who cares? We saw how good Akhtar was this summer.

* Number of batsmen hit
It's only good if a batsman is going to lose his wicket as a result of it.

* No. batsmen retired due to being hit
As good as it is to watch, I don't think the tally would be that high.

And of course batting average
Since when are bowlers chosen for their batting skills.
Is McGrath's spot under review?

let's not to forget that some of Lee's last 10 matches were in Sri Lanka/India (sub-continent), and at least 5 of Kaspa's last 10 were in Australia smashing teams on our home pitches (yes, he played in India as well).
Last 5 matches at home stats, just for you Fishy.

........Mat ... O . R .. W .. BBI .. BBM .. Ave .. Econ SR 5 10
Lee 5 202.5 831 16 4/201 4/144 51.93 4.09 76.0 0 0
Kaspa 5 165 505 19 5/30 7/34 26.57 3.06 52.1 1 0

That helped the Lee cause. But then again he was unlucky enough to play the powerful Zimbabwe and Bangladesh teams in three of those tests.

Jarro
28th February 2005, 04:54 PM
well if we went by those stats then you'd be a goose to pick Lee over Kaspa :roll:

3oneday
28th February 2005, 06:27 PM
well if we went by those stats then you'd be a goose to pick Lee over Kaspa :roll:did you read them ?? :P were they bad ?? :shock: I lose interest the moment I see that many numbers :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the intimidation factor overrides all.

goughy
28th February 2005, 09:33 PM
I think most batsmen would rather face lee over mcgrath. I know lee's fast, but you're more likely to get something to hit for 4 most overs. McGrath just keeps bowling the same thing at you till you get pissed off and get out.

I still hope lee gets that 160k mark. That'd be cool.

Fishman Dan
28th February 2005, 10:26 PM
I can play this game too ;)

Who cares? We saw how good Akhtar was this summer.

He lacks heart. Poor comparison. C'mon, you can do better.

It's only good if a batsman is going to lose his wicket as a result of it.

How many wickets did NZ lose in their last game? 9. Papps went away for good, and sheer pace has Flemming at 3 for 6 in this series.

As good as it is to watch, I don't think the tally would be that high.

No, not heaps, but even if he doesn't knock them over he's racking them up. His runs per over during these last 2 series has been quite good.

Since when are bowlers chosen for their batting skills.

They're not, but Lee's 15-20 per innings means a partnership of up to 50 or more. That's more inviting than Kaspa's 5-10 ;)

terryand
1st March 2005, 06:21 AM
His runs per over during these last 2 series has been quite good.

I'm glad you happy with 2 good series out of the last 6 years :?

Terry.

Fishman Dan
1st March 2005, 07:44 AM
His runs per over during these last 2 series has been quite good.

I'm glad you happy with 2 good series out of the last 6 years :?

Terry.

Blinkers are firmly on Tez. You're only as good as your last performance.

Besides, it seems to get a better reaction ;) :lol: