PDA

View Full Version : Putter shaft - glue gone, head moving

henno
30th December 2009, 07:46 PM
My favourite club has come a cropper. It has "sounded" weird for the last few weeks and while lining up a practice putt at Bribie this morning I noticed that the grip was aligned crooked and the clubface was sitting very closed. Well, I worked out pretty quickly that it's not the grip but rather the head itself is able to move probably 5-10 degrees in each direction.

So, the simple solution is to pull it out and glue it back. But the shaft is starting to get rather pitted and rusty. So here's the question (and I'm serious here): Will a new shaft make the putter "feel" different? I don't want to change a thing really, but wouldn't mind taking the opportunity to fix/replace the rusting shaft.

What do you think? Over to you, experts.

Ned
30th December 2009, 08:25 PM
Use the existing shaft!

PeteyD
30th December 2009, 08:26 PM
use gaff tape and don't change the shaft!

virge666
30th December 2009, 08:39 PM
rip out and replace - there will not be any difference.

razaar
30th December 2009, 08:40 PM
Replace the shaft, you won't know the difference I wouldn't think. If you practiced with it for a couple of hours a day you might. The rifle airlight is a good shaft if you decide to go this way.

On the other hand, rust is no big deal unless it is advanced rust. I have always replaced rusty shafts in my putters when I have the heads refinished.

You may get cranky one day and do a Kpac with the shaft cracking in a rust weakened spot.:wink:

Jarro
30th December 2009, 08:43 PM
I'd replace the shaft too .... you just never know when it might break on you

henno
30th December 2009, 09:06 PM
Alright, so what shaft do you jam in these things (regular plumbers neck in a mizzy bettinardi)? Just any 8-iron shaft I can get my hands on? (As long as it's not super light or anything silly like that.)

Courty
30th December 2009, 09:09 PM
Send Tomson a PM. He knows stuff about putter shafts. Apparently not all of them are created equal.

henno
30th December 2009, 09:12 PM
Done. :-)

But still open to suggestions.

ddasey
30th December 2009, 09:17 PM
Done. :-)

But still open to suggestions.

I'm sure you could purchase one of hux's many spares.
:twisted:

Daves
30th December 2009, 09:22 PM
Learn to putt with a wedge:lol:

razaar
30th December 2009, 09:30 PM
I would give the job to Gary Calder at Indro GC. Plumbers neck putters can be tricky to get a solid join that will last. The early Pings had a ball bearing forced down the shaft to solve the problem but then epoxies weren't around in those days.

TourFit
31st December 2009, 01:02 PM
True Temper Straight Putter shaft would be fine. Easiest job really...do it yourself. Sand the tip, 5 minute Araldite and then grip.

henno
31st December 2009, 01:18 PM
I just yoinked out the original shaft (it came straight out). Anyone know where I could get another shaft somewhere in Brisbane today (considering tomorrow is New Years Day, then it's a Saturday and I want to use the darn putter on Sunday and Monday).

Otherwise I'll be forced to toss the old rusty sucker back in.

Oh and I have both 5-minute and "normal" araldite. The 5-minute is fine for putters I assume (seeing as not much force is exerted on the head anyway).

PeteyD
31st December 2009, 01:24 PM
Try Richard at Mr Tees. He may have something.

henno
31st December 2009, 04:03 PM
Try Richard at Mr Tees.

I went and saw him. He talked me out of buying a new shaft. He just said to jam the old one back in there and have back the putter I know and love, rusty pitting and all.

So that's what I've done.

Daves
31st December 2009, 04:10 PM
I went and saw him. He talked me out of buying a new shaft. He just said to jam the old one back in there and have back the putter I know and love, rusty pitting and all.

So that's what I've done.

Credit to him, I find Richard quite good to deal with. Always frank about whether you really need what you are asking for.

henno
31st December 2009, 04:12 PM
Credit to him, I find Richard quite good to deal with. Always frank about whether you really need what you are asking for.

100% agree. He could have very easily saved himself 5 minutes of talking to me by simply taking my money and sending me on my way. Instead he had a yarn, told me the best thing to do and and I walked out a happy (and sure to be returning) customer.

pom
1st January 2010, 05:35 PM
Only met him the once. Found him very obliging.