PDA

View Full Version : Let's compare balls. - Results are in.

Bruce
28th February 2005, 02:21 PM
I dunno. All the sites for comparison and rating seem to be at least one release cycle behind.

Can anyone point me to a review site with current selections on it, or give me some pointers on what I might want to try out.

Right now I am using TopFlite XL2000s mixed with whatever I happen to find around the place. I got a box of 18 for Father's Day last year and still have plenty left. My previous attempt to get 1 each of a dozen types didn't end up being a very good test. Some balls only lasted a single shot which doesn't allow much comparison.

I'm only about 80mph swing speed so I'm pretty sure the 4 pieces are mostly wasted on me and I'd rather run the ball up to the hole than throw it up and make it stop.

I'm guessing the Callway Reds and Precept Laddies are what I should check out. But what else is in the same market?

Only 2 or 4 more weeks of cricket left. We finished top so it better be 4 or we will be mightily pissed off. Time to start planning on playing far more often.

peter_rs
28th February 2005, 02:41 PM
-nike mojo
-srixon AD333

The best thing I can say is go to you local store and get the premium seconds hand balls (most of these have not even played 18 holes) to try out what you like but get at least 3 of each type, for $40 you get 12 in brisbane includes your choice of ProV1,U-Tri, hogan apex etc (just make sure you get ones with no marks and whatever you can do with these new balls will do better).

Don't under rate what a slow swing speed can get from 3/4 piece balls- I love hogan apex balls.

McMw
28th February 2005, 03:33 PM
AD333, Noodle, UTRIED, UTRIES, DTECSpin

Laddie - good for only 1 round...if even...

kid played with the ProVX yesterday, and the cover was peeling after 3 holes - brand new...very poor!!! :roll:

Fishman Dan
28th February 2005, 04:05 PM
U-Tri Tours are soft and can get bruised mid-way through a round, but no reason to stop using them. No major cuts in the cover.

MaxFli A10's can also get some scratches in the surface, but they don't appear to cut up too easily.

peter_rs
28th February 2005, 05:09 PM
I will say this just because you like to run the ball don't rule out soft/spin balls because they will help your putting and for those 2or3 shots a round when you need spin(high flop) you will have it and it could save your round.

Ona
28th February 2005, 06:55 PM
http://media.whydevelop.com/b/www.bhmgolf.com/media/20257.gif

just what your after

Bruce
28th February 2005, 07:08 PM
I'm trying to narrow the field down and you guys are asking me to expand the parameters.

Beware of scope creep.

goughy
28th February 2005, 08:17 PM
Utri extra spin, the poor cousin of the utri tour which is the poor cousin to the pro-v1. I've slowly gone back to the extra spin and the only difference I see is the extra money in my pocket after buying a doz.

Jarro
28th February 2005, 08:22 PM
Utri's are a pretty good ball, can't really go wrong with them.

The NXT Tour/Distance/Spin balls are OK also .... pretty good price also :wink:

Deano
28th February 2005, 08:27 PM
Bruce

Mate,if you're useing TopFlite XL2000s....etc The few
you might wanna try are.......

Precept Laddie

Titleist SoLo

Dunlop LoCo(some will say they hate these,but compared to the TopFlite XL2000s they are fine)

Maxfli Noodle(again some will say they suck.....but compared to the TopFlite XL2000s.......)

TopFlite XL3000's Super Feel's are an improve over the XL2000 imho.Although the Infinity series is even newer again.Buttery Feels the one to try I hear.

U-Tri Distance Precepts another fine option.

A few to get you started.Let us know how the search goes.

Deano

burger
3rd March 2005, 01:18 PM
Another vote for Utri - ED, I tried the XL 300 Super feels and prefer the ED's. Just feel better for me.

Grunt
3rd March 2005, 04:48 PM
Well not sure if you want a hackers opinon but I can't go past the Noodle. They last longer than I can keep them, give me pretty good distance (sometimes too good with the slice) & I seem to get pretty good spin out of them too.

I have tried;

Precept U-tri (both Spin & Tour)
Maxfli D-TEC
Pro V (too good a ball for me)
Precept D-Feel
Optima TS
Optima CS

But have gone back to the Noodle. I am going to try some of the new import Noodles from squizzy soon (al dente & some other italian sounding name).

Bruce
14th March 2005, 11:18 AM
Alright. Our friend Squizzy has provided me with 4 each of:

HX Reds
Utri distance
Mojo
Laddie
Exception
Noodle

So now comes the testing phase and I need some idea on which methodology I should use. Should I go a whole round to test or would it be better to switch at the turn or something else?

AndyP
14th March 2005, 11:29 AM
So now comes the testing phase and I need some idea on which methodology I should use. Should I go a whole round to test or would it be better to switch at the turn or something else?
I don't know, but I would be interested in hearing the answers too. I've got a few balls stashed away at home, that I have been waiting to test.

peter_rs
14th March 2005, 11:51 AM
If you have got the time play at least 18 with the one brad becuase you have to adjust to them to get the full benefit.

Ona
14th March 2005, 11:53 AM
you've gota be hitting them side by side i'd reckon.

peter_rs
14th March 2005, 12:00 PM
Its all good if your club lets you(hit two balls at a time)

But in general you now when you have put a good swing together. What you want to look for is the results on good and bad shots.

terryand
14th March 2005, 12:05 PM
Alright. Our friend Squizzy has provided me with 4 each of:

HX Reds
Utri distance
Mojo
Laddie
Exception
Noodle

Money well spent would be to pay for a session on Ben's Launch Monitor.

One it gives you data in black and white and two your not chasing balls all over the course.

Terry.

McMw
18th March 2005, 03:37 PM
I saw the noodle Tour - any good???

I bought a dozen of the HRX 333 (srixon) to use back here...any good??? pretty cheap I thought @ 39UAD (considering the AD333 were also 39AUD)...

Bruce
15th May 2005, 10:11 PM
In comparison to the control sample XL2000. Tests were done over a series of rounds and were played exclusively for the entire 18. This report is presented in order of testing and therefore may contain introduced errors of judgement as per the 'audition dilema'.

Mojo - Flies pretty high. 1 club longer than the control sample (boy did that get me into some trouble). Very durable. I am currently incapable of putting any spin on the ball around the green so I am not in a position to judge that aspect. Held greens more due to flight characteristics than spin I suspect. I really liked this ball.

HX Red - Not as high. Still a club longer than control. Not as durable as the Mojo. OK but prefer others.

Pinnacle Exception - Good flight. Very durable. Putting - inconclusive due to cored and sanded greens. Liked it the best so far.

Precept Laddie - Excellent in every category. Best in field so far.

Maxfli Noodle - Hang on. This one goes really well too.

Precept U-tri distance - Very good but couldn't get it to bite at all. Probably an indian rather than arrow issue.

Conclusion:

There was never going to be any strong conclusion just some preferences. Laddie, Noodle and Exception were all great for my game. I'd use the Mojo and U-Tri and would avoid the HX.

McMw
15th May 2005, 11:13 PM
nice report...

just be wary with the laddie...some balls don't even last 15 holes before the ball acts all weird...

the noodle is a good solid ball...hate the noodle spin...

Grunt
16th May 2005, 07:51 AM
Hi all

i am a great fan of the Noodle, just about the ideal ball for me. I started off with the precept D-Feel. The noodle sounds like it is ok for distance & I feel as if I am getting the spin that a golfer of my standard should get.

Best of all second hand for $10 a dozen seals the deal.

Noodle for me.