PDA

View Full Version : Quick Legal/Medical Question

virge666
27th December 2009, 10:51 PM
As you may or may not know I got a Staf infection in my L4 / L5 vertibrae during a routine micro discectomy. (trimming a protruding disc)

I am now on month 4 of no income and wondering if anyone knows if I can seek damages from the hospital where I got the infection.

Anyone have any legal contacts I can ask ?

Tis a long shot, but I thought worth asking...

Ned
27th December 2009, 10:56 PM
As you may or may not know I got a Staf infection in my L4 / L5 vertibrae during a routine micro discectomy. (trimming a protruding disc)

I am now on month 4 of no income and wondering if anyone knows if I can seek damages from the hospital where I got the infection.

Anyone have any legal contacts I can ask ?

Tis a long shot, but I thought worth asking...

Try Trilby Misso or one of those mob, if they take you on then you have a chance.

Also check out the NSW version of the health complaints or tribunal commission, or who ever the regulatory authority is, or quicker still ask Jono

virge666
27th December 2009, 11:10 PM
Try Trilby Misso or one of those mob, if they take you on then you have a chance.

Also check out the NSW version of the health complaints or tribunal commission, or who ever the regulatory authority is, or quicker still ask Jono

Will do on all accounts.. thanks

Fishman Dan
27th December 2009, 11:29 PM
How many disclaimers did you sign before the operation?

Yossarian
27th December 2009, 11:34 PM
I really doubt that you will be able to, but happy to be proven wrong.

Would insurance of some sort cover it?

virge666
28th December 2009, 08:54 AM
How many disclaimers did you sign before the operation?

I was pretty drugged up on Endone when I did all the signing... so not sure.

I really doubt that you will be able to, but happy to be proven wrong.

Would insurance of some sort cover it?

Me too, but there is no harm in asking i thought. Income protection would cover it, if I had it. Being self employed - it ain't really worth it.

PeteyD
28th December 2009, 09:02 AM
Staf infection is always a risk at hospitals. Have you gone onto centrelink benefits etc for your time incapacitated? Could be worth a look to get some $$ out of the govment.

jimandr
28th December 2009, 08:01 PM
Virge

It depends on two things.

Firstly, there has to be negligence on the part of the hospital. People make mistakes, no matter how much preparation is undertaken to prevent errors, so it is possible.

Secondly, and more importantly, someone has to undertake an enquiry. You can't do that by yourself. The Health Care Complaints Commission exists for that very purpose, so you probably need to talk to them to see where you stand.

But if you lodge a complaint, there is no guarantee that you'll get a favourable response. Medical staff in NSW are usually very competant and capable. Sometimes people pick up infections through no fault of anybody.

You need to document everything, just in case.

razaar
28th December 2009, 08:54 PM
Staf is an airborne infection unique to hospitals. When it first came on the scene in the 70's (Ithink) patients were placed in sunlight as part of the treatment. Since that time it has developed strains that are resistant to many antibiotics and is a major risk with all operations under the knife. The form you signed would have covered any complications arising from the operation that is beyond the control of the hospital. Staf being in the air is one of these things. According to my source one has to be in a run down state or in poor health to become infected.

3oneday
28th December 2009, 09:02 PM
Is that the scientific explanation raz ???

;)

razaar
28th December 2009, 09:15 PM
It's all I can remember of what the boss told me when we were driving to Warwick today. She is a nurse and has spent many years in theatre.