PDA

View Full Version : Driver Advice / Opinions ??

ddasey
27th December 2009, 09:00 PM
Fellow Ozgolfers.

This may open a can of worms but I am after your learned opinions.

I have been given some money from the relo's for Christmas to buy a new driver.

With the budget that I have a am looking at a Callaway Diablo or possibly Nike Dymo Str8 fit. Both would be between 9.5 & 10.5 in stiff (Would have perhaps looked at an R9 but out of price range??)

To those that are gaming these clubs what are your thoughts.

To those that don't have these clubs I am also interested to hear what you might have to say.

A big thanks in advance :smt038

macjackass
27th December 2009, 09:08 PM
Send 3oneday a pm. I got a r9 from him pretty cheap. Very forgiving driver and straight.

Jarro
27th December 2009, 09:14 PM
Fellow Ozgolfers.

This may open a can of worms but I am after your learned opinions.

I have been given some money from the relo's for Christmas to buy a new driver.

With the budget that I have a am looking at a Callaway Diablo or possibly Nike Dymo Str8 fit. Both would be between 9.5 & 10.5 in stiff (Would have perhaps looked at an R9 but out of price range??)

To those that are gaming these clubs what are your thoughts.

To those that don't have these clubs I am also interested to hear what you might have to say.

A big thanks in advance :smt038

Any particular reason why you chose those two Dave ?

A G10 with the VS Proto would be another good choice ;)

simmsy
27th December 2009, 09:16 PM
or possibly the new cleveland dst drivers. have read some good things about them around the place.
Mizuno mx700 as well

henno
I have the Cally Diablo and while not the longest driver I own it is easily the most forgiving. As virge says "it's witchcraft". I'd suggest a lower loft than you'd normally hit though as part of this witchcraft is a bit of backspin.

I don't really rate the R9.

Dado
i got an r9 460 in 9.5 stiff from Golf World for $320.. the guy i got it off is a champion so im gonna keep buying off him, he looks after customers quite well..

They RRP for $549-449... on special they had them for $399 but you can try squeeze that out of them.

Awesome driver, finally learned to hit it properly and i really like it :)

perci
27th December 2009, 09:26 PM
Witch Golf World Dado?

Dado
27th December 2009, 09:30 PM
Was the one in Bundall, on the Gold Coast

henno
27th December 2009, 09:34 PM
the guy i got it off is a champion

Was the one in Bundall, on the Gold Coast

8-)

Did you mention Ozgolf?

Dado
27th December 2009, 09:35 PM
No actually I didnt haha, cant imagine he could have given it to me any cheaper tho...

rhino62
27th December 2009, 10:31 PM
New Cobra ZL's should be out soon=P~

Hux
28th December 2009, 12:34 AM
I rate the R9 but not with stock shaft and certainly not for forgiveness. At least in 1st series R9 version. The 460 is no doubt different.

With the R9 I learnt shaft means more than anything. I won't let a chopper like Henno hit mine but if he did he would probably have lots of love compared to the muck he uses now :-))

TheNuclearOne
28th December 2009, 12:40 AM
What are your distances, tendancies (flight, curse etc), ability level and consistency of contact, likes (open face or not etc), what are you using now and what do you think of it, etc etc etc. Without some of these or having seen you hit it's a guessing game. There's so man good drivers out there now and so many bargains on recent models to be had.

henno
28th December 2009, 08:04 AM
What are your distances, tendancies (flight, curse etc), ability level and consistency of contact, likes (open face or not etc), what are you using now and what do you think of it, etc etc etc. Without some of these or having seen you hit it's a guessing game. There's so man good drivers out there now and so many bargains on recent models to be had.

TNO wrote all of that stuff above when really he just means get a 9015D. :razz:

Fishman Dan
28th December 2009, 08:16 AM
Callaway FT-3. Long, forgiving and you can get them in good condition cheap these days.

TheTrueReview
28th December 2009, 08:19 AM

The G10 is a top driver & there should be some good deals going round at the moment. Don't overlook the standard TFC shaft also. Not your average 'standard' shaft.

Minor_Threat
28th December 2009, 08:42 AM
I picked up a Cally FTi I-Mix on these forums cheap..

Best driver I have ever owned!

Tongueboy
28th December 2009, 08:52 AM
go an FT-3 in regular. sure you need stiff?

ddasey
28th December 2009, 09:10 AM

Jarro, no particular reason except for when I started looking a found a few of these new in the price range I was looking for.

I rate the R9 but not with stock shaft and certainly not for forgiveness. At least in 1st series R9 version. The 460 is no doubt different.

With the R9 I learnt shaft means more than anything. I won't let a chopper like Henno hit mine but if he did he would probably have lots of love compared to the muck he uses now :-))

So you are still liking the R9. If only TM would do an R9 putter hey :twisted:. Hey what spare shafts you got for it ;)

Wouldn't I then have to move to WA :lol:

go an FT-3 in regular. sure you need stiff?

I played a reg in the R5 a few years ago. I then went to s stiff in my Nickent and liked it so much more. I aslo seem to hit it a lot more consistently than the reg shaft.

Anyway thanks all for the the advice. It seems Ned has hooked me up with a driver.

TheNuclearOne
28th December 2009, 09:45 AM

lmao!!! You know me too well Henno :mrgreen:

All roads lead to Rome/9015D :twisted:

Hux
28th December 2009, 09:50 AM
What you've bought one of Ned's hand me down drivers? Crikey the sweet spot will be worn out of it mate.

Sorry confusing Ned with Razaar :-)

ddasey
28th December 2009, 09:53 AM
What you've bought one of Ned's hand me down drivers? Crikey the sweet spot will be worn out of it mate.

Sorry confusing Ned with Razaar :-)

Well after watching the way you monster that R9 of yours, I thought why not. It also gives me options to play around with :-k

just
28th December 2009, 10:09 AM
The G10 is a top driver & there should be some good deals going round at the moment. Don't overlook the standard TFC shaft also. Not your average 'standard' shaft.
x2

PerryGroves
28th December 2009, 10:14 AM

I have a G10 as do a lot of my mates, handicaps (2-15), nobody has sacked it.

If buying it would be right in my "sweet spot", that is, been around a couple of years and Ping have a new model (can't really be any better)

Hopefully someone looking for an extra yard will buy the G15 and give one of these up.

Dazza
28th December 2009, 11:03 AM

Doesn't include headcover. :(
http://www.globalgolf.com/product/golfclub/-/pid--1012216/driver/ping/g10.aspx?gd=3&flx=2&lft=10

davepuppies
28th December 2009, 11:43 AM
I still hear good reviews about the TM R5 dual.... hence one is in my bag.

I have not hit any of the new fancy drivers, but the r5 goes long and is forgiving.

My question is once all drivers have hit the 440-460cc head size, will there really be too much difference in head performance from here on in?

I think the shaft being mated to your swing speed and tendancies would be a better option.