PDA

View Full Version : Rules which you consider it OK to break

sms316
27th December 2009, 12:17 PM
Perhaps "break" isn't the right word. Maybe "let slide" would be a better term.

I can think of 3 examples off the top of my head, which if I saw in a Wednesday comp, I wouldn't even consider calling out the person responsible for it.

1. Smoothing a bunker prior to playing a stroke. If somebody picks up a rake in a spot nowhere near there ball and smooths over the marks they are saving time, not testing a surface.

2. A gimme from inside six inches. Nothing more than a time saving exercise.

3. Asking for advice from a fellow competitor. 99% of the time, any advice given from another club golfer is only going to cause more harm than good.

Are there any others which you would never call out?

Disclaimer - this thread is in regards to competitions of little importance. Tournament golf (Opens etc) is a different story altogether.

MegaWatty
27th December 2009, 12:29 PM
Can't agree with gimme's.

sms316
27th December 2009, 12:31 PM
As a general rule, neither do I. But it is almost physically impossible to miss from a couple of inches. You need to be aiming away from the hole to miss.

Webster
27th December 2009, 01:06 PM
disagree with anything other than strict observance of the rules in any competition golf.

henno
27th December 2009, 01:08 PM
I don't like gimmes, but wouldn't call someone on a 2 inch gimme on a shitty wednesday comp with a pair of old buggers.

Daves
27th December 2009, 01:09 PM
Teeing off more than 2 club lengths back from the relevant tee markers.:lol:

Flavzz
27th December 2009, 02:03 PM
If playing comp I don't do gimmies.

One thing I let go is when there is a big stone underneath your ball which will hack your club, u can remove it. As long as it's not improving your lie it's simply to save your equipment which we all pay good $ for.

Dotty
27th December 2009, 02:11 PM
Generally, playing out of turn, esp. to speed up stroke-play.

Hypothetically, >14 clubs, in the case of demoing something or caught without a putter/wedge and their bag too far away, provided they aren't in contention and are aware that a rule is being broken. (We also have a few older players still using non-conforming drivers.)

Also, ensuring the word 'provisional' (not 'reload' not 'another') is spoken, after a third $9 Pro-V heads towards the fence-line and the player has steam coming out of his ears.

3oneday
27th December 2009, 02:45 PM
1. Smoothing a bunker prior to playing a stroke. If somebody picks up a rake in a spot nowhere near there ball and smooths over the marks they are saving time, not testing a surface.

I thought this had been relaxed so you could do that ?

razaar
27th December 2009, 02:56 PM
Most of the bullshit rules covering the ball resting against the hole and the flagstick.

Hux
27th December 2009, 04:03 PM
If playing comp I don't do gimmies.

One thing I let go is when there is a big stone underneath your ball which will hack your club, u can remove it. As long as it's not improving your lie it's simply to save your equipment which we all pay good $ for.

Yep - timber is one thing but anything likely to cause significant damage on the fairway is a different issue. Off the fairway its a case of take a drop IMHO.

Hux
27th December 2009, 04:06 PM
Generally, playing out of turn, esp. to speed up stroke-play.

Hypothetically, >14 clubs, in the case of demoing something or caught without a putter/wedge and their bag too far away, provided they aren't in contention and are aware that a rule is being broken. (We also have a few older players still using non-conforming drivers.)

Also, ensuring the word 'provisional' (not 'reload' not 'another') is spoken, after a third $9 Pro-V heads towards the fence-line and the player has steam coming out of his ears.

Never worry about 1 & 3 myself. I generally play with Dad and a mix of other players - no point waiting for the group in front to clear 250m+ if I have the honour when the old blokes who only hit 200m can hit and then by the time they have hit the way is clear for those who like to have a lash.

Johnny Canuck
27th December 2009, 06:00 PM
Playing "in turn" is only a rule in match play. Otherwise, play ready golf.

I would never allow gimmies in a club comp, a social game is no probs.

you can test the surface fine when taking your stance, i don't see how raking is any more testing that taking a stance.

matty
27th December 2009, 06:18 PM
In comp I reckon all rules should be strictly adhered to otherwise the slippery slope gets gets longer, wetter, and more dangerous.

I also think the ball resting against the flagstick is a crock. If it's against the flagstick it's in.

Moe Norman
27th December 2009, 06:19 PM
I would ping anyone who took a gimme, the ball has to get in the hole.

I'm not fussed on people raking bunkers to save time if they have to go to another part of a bunker to retrieve the rake before playing a shot, wouldn't even consider calling them for it.

TheNuclearOne
27th December 2009, 06:28 PM
Not quite on topic but the worst rule in golf IMO is having to play out of other pricks divots on fairway. I believe it should be a free drop. Why be penalised for hitting the ball well and where you are meant to.

Johnny Canuck
27th December 2009, 06:33 PM
Not quite on topic but the worst rule in golf IMO is having to play out of other pricks divots on fairway. I believe it should be a free drop. Why be penalised for hitting the ball well and where you are meant to.

i read in a mag that adam scott would change that rule too!

henno
27th December 2009, 06:42 PM

I saw in one of those 30 second TV interviews that John Daly would change that rule as well.

TheNuclearOne
27th December 2009, 07:16 PM

A mate here mentioned it to me about 12 years ago and i've never forgotten it.

Last year the one chance in my life i've had to reach number 4 at the local in 2 shots was killed. About one time in 8 we get a small tail or have no big wind into us. Then i've got to hit two career shots on that one day in 8. So anyway, hitting them great this day and hit my biggest drive ever there by some way. I've got my hand on the 3 wood with 20 meters to go to my ball. Low and behold it's on top of a damn divot. I took 5 wood and hit a little 3/4 punch which still made the free drop little gully 25-30 meters from the green. I reckon i would have got the sucker this day.

Scottt
27th December 2009, 08:51 PM
The problems lies in defining a divot.

A fresh one is easy, but at what stage of the grow-back does it cease to be a divot?

Peter
27th December 2009, 08:53 PM
Didn't a pro complain about this many years ago, with the response from a fellow player being something along the lines of "that's why we've got our names on our bags - just put it back in your stance and punch it out".

Jarro
27th December 2009, 08:56 PM
Never allow gimmes ...EVER !!!

henno
27th December 2009, 09:18 PM
Never allow gimmes ...EVER !!!

I agree, but would you lodge a formal complaint against some old buggers with a 2-inch putt on a Wednesday comp?

I think that's the question. Not what rules you'd break, but what rules you'd let slide.

PeteyD
27th December 2009, 09:25 PM
Didn't a pro complain about this many years ago, with the response from a fellow player being something along the lines of "that's why we've got our names on our bags - just put it back in your stance and punch it out".

I believe Norman complained and Couples said move it back an inch and hit it hard or something like that.

Order of play for non match play golf.

Courty
27th December 2009, 09:55 PM
The whole order of play thing gives me the shits.I don't care if you had a triple on the last hole... if you're first to the next tee box, hit the frikkin' thing!

I also agree with the stuff about landing in someones divot (or worse, pile of sand/ ice ;)). As Scottt mentioned, there's some things that need to be worked out, but it sucks to be disadvantaged by hitting a good tee shot.

2. A gimme from inside six inches. Nothing more than a time saving exercise.

Not keen on this one. On more than one occasion I've seen them missed from this close (including one yesterday from a large yellow-feathered forum member ;)).

Plenty of times I've had guys tell me to pick it up during comp, but I have always putted it out anyway.

Moe Norman
27th December 2009, 11:09 PM
I had a bloke hit it back to me once, I replaced my ball, knocked it in and then pinged him for hitting the incorrect ball.

I wouldn't normally do that, but he was a ****

parlyboy
27th December 2009, 11:22 PM
Crikey Moe, never heard of that happening in comp b4, but yeah could work in matchplay for sure...lol
Ping!! Loss of hole champ...lol.

Yossarian
28th December 2009, 12:08 AM
I believe Norman complained and Couples said move it back an inch and hit it hard or something like that.

Would that be giving advice or something like that or just sledging? :lol:

MegaWatty
28th December 2009, 12:33 AM
Trevor Immelman hit a pure shot from a deep divot on the 72nd to win the Masters. If it the rules, perhaps it should be practiced more often!

zacdullard
28th December 2009, 12:34 AM
I believe that the rules should be followed but I wouldn't pull anyone up on the petty incidents that have already been mentioned.

adlo
28th December 2009, 12:38 AM
Gimmes are fine in social comps/rounds, but I have never seen them happen in a proper AGU comp. If they do, that sucks.

markTHEblake
28th December 2009, 01:59 AM
Are there any others which you would never call out?

Depends on the golfer in question. If I can see that they are a bit of a novice, I prefer to point it out after the game. No need to embarrass them on the course.

PeteyD
28th December 2009, 07:14 AM
Would that be giving advice or something like that or just sledging? :lol:

Not in a comp. In a players union meeting or some such thing.

TheTrueReview
28th December 2009, 08:10 AM
The wind moving the ball when lining up a putt. (Hate that rule. The wind moved it, not the player.)

bergsey
28th December 2009, 10:36 AM
Did anyone see the tourny in SA the other week where shwartzel missed a tap in putt from a couple of inches? total fresh air shot (i think Badds did the same a few years back)..... thats why gimmes are not given !!

Dotty
28th December 2009, 11:39 AM
Did anyone see the tourny in SA the other week where shwartzel missed a tap in putt from a couple of inches? total fresh air shot (i think Badds did the same a few years back)..... thats why gimmes are not given !!
Hale Irwin lost the British Open in 1983 (1 shot behind Tom Watson), after taking an airswing on the third day, while attempting a tap-in.

TheNuclearOne
28th December 2009, 03:41 PM
Trevor Immelman hit a pure shot from a deep divot on the 72nd to win the Masters. If it the rules, perhaps it should be practiced more often!

No amount of practice has me puring balls out of a divot like Immelman tho. There's also some divots none of us mugs are coming out any good from. Obviously we have to grin and bear it, but it shouldn't be like this.

Having said that it was funny walking around with the local gun in our Open a few months back. He's got a 9 iron into 3, notoriously hard to hold at times, back left pin. A +1 hits first and eases it thru the back of the green. The local pro does the same. The gun smacks his 9, hits on the back third of the green near the pin and stops in 3 feet. How the f*** did you stop that was the call. "I was lucky actually, i was in a bit of a divot (extra spin) and knew i could have a real go". :roll:

Scottt
28th December 2009, 03:44 PM
No amount of practice has me puring balls out of a divot like Immelman tho. There's also some divots none of us mugs are coming out any good from. Obviously we have to grin and bear it, but it shouldn't be like this.

I'd reckon no amount of practice would have most of us hitting any shot like Trev, though...

ParMaster
28th December 2009, 04:06 PM
Hitting out of a divot is easy. HTFU.

TheNuclearOne
28th December 2009, 04:18 PM
I'd reckon no amount of practice would have most of us hitting any shot like Trev, though...

I know in 6 inch putts just as easy as he does.

But at least from a (deserved) non difficult lie we've got a decent chance at a good shot per our own standard. Add intricasies and our percentages are far worse comparatively to Trevor's for our respective abilities.

As for ascertaining the merits of a divot, in in doubt drop it out, you're on the fairway for goodness sake.

TheNuclearOne
28th December 2009, 04:20 PM
Hitting out of a divot is easy. HTFU.

My hero :smt060

markTHEblake
28th December 2009, 04:27 PM
Hale Irwin lost the British Open in 1983 (1 shot behind Tom Watson), after taking an airswing on the third day, while attempting a tap-in.

I could have sworn that was Graham Marsh, on the Postage Stamp hole at Troon, after missing a 3 foot birdie putt.

The wind moving the ball when lining up a putt. (Hate that rule. The wind moved it, not the player.)

Pretty sure that is not a penalty and the ball can be played from where it moved too, even after it has been marked and replaced.

It would be a penalty only if it was deemed that the golfer contributed to moving it, and I doubt that can be determined on a putting green.

linkslover
28th December 2009, 06:27 PM
Play as it lies out of divots. There would be too much interprutation required for a divot and good players can get out with out any problems, high handicappers have extra handicap to allow for such things.

Gimme's: guys have shown the lack of ability to measure lengths under 12 inches accurately. Is 6 inches now actually going to be 4 inches or 8 inches?

LarryLong
28th December 2009, 07:23 PM
Is 6 inches now actually going to be 4 inches or 8 inches?

I tell my wife it's 8 inches.

linkslover
28th December 2009, 07:26 PM
I rest my case.

adlo
28th December 2009, 07:27 PM
:lol: :lol:

The 2 LL's at it!!

Yossarian
28th December 2009, 07:34 PM
I tell my wife it's 8 inches.

So thats why they call you larry long.

IanO
29th December 2009, 03:42 PM
Pretty sure that is not a penalty and the ball can be played from where it moved too, even after it has been marked and replaced.

It would be a penalty only if it was deemed that the golfer contributed to moving it, and I doubt that can be determined on a putting green.

Rule 18-2 b. states " If a players ball moves after he has addressed it , the player is deemed to have moved the ball and incurs a penalty of one stroke. The ball must be replaced, unless the movement of the ball occurs after the player has begun the stroke or the backward movement of the club for the stroke and the stroke is made"

So if the bloody wind moves the ball you can be penalized!

PeteyD
29th December 2009, 04:19 PM
You can and I have.

markTHEblake
29th December 2009, 06:47 PM

Rule 18-2 b. states " If a players ball moves after he has addressed it

That rule has nothing to do with the point being discussed. There is no penalty.

PeteyD
29th December 2009, 06:50 PM
Pretty sure he was referring to the after address rule Mark.

AndyP
29th December 2009, 07:14 PM
I think I would let a bit slide, where I feel that it doesn't give someone an advantage by breaking the rule. It's just not worth the angst to call someone on it. There's enough of that at work and this forum. ;)

I wouldn't ping someone if the ball moved ever so slightly in the rough. I won't be too pedantic over dropping points from hazards. If they hit off a couple of centimetres in front of the markers. That sort of thing.

Flavzz
29th December 2009, 07:51 PM
Rule 18-2 b. states " If a players ball moves after he has addressed it , the player is deemed to have moved the ball and incurs a penalty of one stroke. The ball must be replaced, unless the movement of the ball occurs after the player has begun the stroke or the backward movement of the club for the stroke and the stroke is made"

So if the bloody wind moves the ball you can be penalized!

Paddy Harrington did this during the masters last year while in contention and while clearly not his fault he incurred a penalty shot. Tough rule for sure but its been around as long as I can remember.

rodders
29th December 2009, 08:06 PM
What about hitting wrong ball - bloke i played with in comp was pissed cause I called a penalty. As we walking to green, someone from next tee said and pointed his ball in rough. The bloke hit it. My playing partner and I asked why he hit that ball as his was in the bunker. Bloke said he told his ball though and i said up to him to check.

PeteyD
29th December 2009, 08:51 PM
the 2 strokes is hard to stomach for that one.

AndyP
29th December 2009, 09:04 PM
I hit my 2 buck 50 ticket partner up for hitting a wrong ball just over a week ago.

sms316
30th December 2009, 03:31 PM
Here's another one - playing a provisional in case a ball is in a hazard. It speeds up play. Who cares?

Certainly not the Captain who was playing in our group.

PerryGroves
30th December 2009, 03:54 PM
Here's another one - playing a provisional in case a ball is in a hazard. It speeds up play. Who cares?

Certainly not the Captain who was playing in our group.

This one pisses me, it's either in the hazard or it's not, assuming you can see the hazard from the tee. No reason to hit a provisional, if its in the hazard, take your drop, if not, well you can hit it.

I hate blokes looking around a hazard for a ball, don't find it, and then take a drop.

Most abused rule at my club with plenty of hazrds running parralel to the fairway

sms316
30th December 2009, 03:57 PM
The hazard I am referring to has no water in it. Basically it was a provisional for a lost ball, but the ball would have been in the hazard.

He dropped on the edge of the hazard then played a provisional before going in to look for his ball.

Ball not found. Play continued. Everyone is happy.

PerryGroves
30th December 2009, 04:10 PM
The hazard I am referring to has no water in it. Basically it was a provisional for a lost ball, but the ball would have been in the hazard.

He dropped on the edge of the hazard then played a provisional before going in to look for his ball.

See your point, thought he hit the prov off the tee.

Johnny Canuck
30th December 2009, 04:27 PM

Bad form.

If he sticks one tight as his "provisional", he's not going to look too hard for the original ball, if look at all.

markTHEblake
30th December 2009, 11:52 PM
Bad form.

If he sticks one tight as his "provisional", he's not going to look too hard for the original ball, if look at all.

why is that bad form (if i understand you correctly), as you dont have to look for the original after hitting a provisional.