PDA

View Full Version : Which irons?

holmesy-XLS
24th December 2009, 10:02 PM
Got my bday comin up in a couple of months, and am hoping for a new set of irons. Starting to look now so i have time to demo. looking for something forgiving for a mid capper but also to grow and improve into. Been thinking maybe i15's FG tours, AP-2's ect

Thanks in advance (open 2 all ideas.)

Dotty
24th December 2009, 10:20 PM
I play around 10-12 hc. and like my Cobra S9, which I never considered, but a friend loaned me his. These are now labelled SZ or S2, plus there is also a S2 Forged.

Grunt recently did a Golf Australia magazine roadtest of these and the Titleist APs. Do a search, or he may even post his opinion.

Edit: Here's his Ozgolf feedback ...
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?p=370459&highlight=forged#post370459

holmesy-XLS
24th December 2009, 10:25 PM
ok thx will have a look.

macjackass
24th December 2009, 10:49 PM
Have a look at the mizuno 58s. Can get them relatively cheap from the US.

holmesy-XLS
24th December 2009, 11:06 PM
S2 forged look great except for the loftings and need for extra gap wedge in bag.... wondering if looking down the mizuno route do i go for 52's or 58's.

Yossarian
24th December 2009, 11:38 PM
How old are you again mate? Had your growth spurt yet?

TheNuclearOne
25th December 2009, 12:26 AM
R7's in the game improvement category and Tour Burners in the gap between GI and players are great value nowadays.

Golfnut
25th December 2009, 02:25 AM
Can vouch for the Tour Burners also here if that tickles your fancy, look great at address with a fairly thin top line and a player like sole.......pretty easy to hit and I'm probably what you'd call a high handicapper, playing my best golf with these since upgrading from Nike Sumo chunky irons.

Mine were near new (4 rounds old) and managed to score them for well under $400 delivered. (No lowballing jokes plz WAnker crew :twisted:)

AlexMc
25th December 2009, 10:14 AM
I'm off 11 and have no troubles with the AP2's...

Flavzz
25th December 2009, 07:38 PM
AP2's are a great club. I have been playing between 9 to 12 HC lately and find them to be really accurate with great feel to them. I think the lack of offset takes some getting used to but my good swings are highly rewarded with quality ball flight. Just get the correct shaft to suit your swing.

I have heard good things about the Cobra's S9/SZ as well tho.

I15's was my other choice before I got the AP2's. There are many PING clubfitters around and I think a mid capper with scope to improve could handle them

One more option is the Cleveland CG7 Tour which are quite nice and well priced. They would also match your Driver and Fwy's ;)

My theory is every midcapper will have a few bad swings per round. But when you put a good swing down you want to be rewarded and clubs such as those mentioned will reward you. Go to your local range and demo as many as you can.

Good luck Holmesy

gazgolf1
25th December 2009, 07:47 PM
Adams A4 forged cav's.

matty
25th December 2009, 08:10 PM
Callaway x22tours. Butter soft.

PerryGroves
25th December 2009, 08:14 PM
Got my bday comin up in a couple of months, and am hoping for a new set of irons. Starting to look now so i have time to demo. looking for something forgiving for a mid capper but also to grow and improve into. Been thinking maybe i15's FG tours, AP-2's ect

Thanks in advance (open 2 all ideas.)

If you have the coin, go new, with a shaft that suits. I would think iron technology hasn't really changed in the last few years (or hardly at all in 20)

Find something you like and buy the model before, or in the case of Callaway, buy any of the previous 25 models they have released

pt73
25th December 2009, 08:45 PM
Ping

davepuppies
25th December 2009, 11:03 PM
I agree with Perrygroves - i wanted AP2s but went with a set of 695cbs that were 3-4 years old with the right shafts.

Ping are a great club, but the earlier ones are ugly!

holmesy-XLS
25th December 2009, 11:37 PM
thnks, hope you guys had a good xmas i know i did to answer your question and am fourteen bout 170 cms. i have hit cg7 tours when i was of 30 odd and hit em great so might have a look into them and my pro has a wilson fitting cart :/ i think house of golf has a titleist so may use them to find shafts ect. keep suggestions coming

TheNuclearOne
25th December 2009, 11:40 PM
If you're pro has a Wilson fitting cart try the ci7's if they still have em Holmesy. Rave reviews from almost every owner.

Hux
25th December 2009, 11:41 PM
Cobra Pro CB....Peteyd is selling some at a bargain price and thugginz also has a set he will sell for similar coin.

Damn fine crubs for the money.

LarryLong
26th December 2009, 09:21 AM
They're all the same. Buy the cheapest ones you can find and spend the rest on the ladies.

holmesy-XLS
26th December 2009, 10:02 AM
lol.thx for your input i might have a hit later the sarvo so might take a demo set out.