PDA

View Full Version : Alignment.

Yossarian
23rd December 2009, 10:26 PM
And I am not talking about Chaotic Good, or Neutral Evil here. Usually A Neutral Good wizard but hey.

I am talking about pointing in the right direction on the golf course.

Tests have confirmed that when I am pointing in the right direction I tend to hit it pretty well.

I can line up on the driving range with a shaft and hit it pretty well.

How do I take this out onto the course with me. How do you learn the right feel or whatever???

Thoughts. Suggestions.

This is kind of driving me nuts.

Minor_Threat
23rd December 2009, 10:30 PM
My method is quite simple, I just imagine my clubhead aiming at the target and my feet line is like a train track. 2 x parallel lines.

Yossarian
23rd December 2009, 10:32 PM
Cheers mt, stupid question time, and this one has been nagging, setup should be parallel to the target line ya?

AndyP
23rd December 2009, 10:32 PM
Use something a metre or so in front of you to work your alignment off when you set up. A different colour grass, a leaf, etc.

Minor_Threat
23rd December 2009, 11:00 PM
Cheers mt, stupid question time, and this one has been nagging, setup should be parallel to the target line ya?
My alignment routine is as follows:
1. Pick a spot about 150mm in front of ball on line with target
2. Place club down and line up to spot selected in Step 1.
3. Line up feet parallel to the imaginary line that has been created between Clubhead and spot from Step 1.
4. Ensure shoulders are pointing / square with feet line.\

SeldomEagles
24th December 2009, 12:08 AM
Bit of help on point 4 shoulder alignment, how the hell do I know if my shoulders are aligned to my feet? I can get the club head aligned to a short reference point I can get the bit about feet parallel to the club/reference point. It is something that is so in my head at the moment that I think I could be lining feet and club well but for all I know shoulders could be miles out

markTHEblake
24th December 2009, 12:23 AM
Use something a metre or so in front of you to work your alignment off when you set up. A different colour grass, a leaf, etc.

This has worked really well for me since i started playing golf. But first i began to lose sight of the mark, so I got some glasses. Now i just keep forgetting which bit of grass i am aiming over.

Minor_Threat
24th December 2009, 07:52 AM
Bit of help on point 4 shoulder alignment, how the hell do I know if my shoulders are aligned to my feet? I can get the club head aligned to a short reference point I can get the bit about feet parallel to the club/reference point. It is something that is so in my head at the moment that I think I could be lining feet and club well but for all I know shoulders could be miles outYeah it is a little bit of a tricky one and it requires a bit practise to know where your shoulders should be aiming.

I basically use the following as a guide. (Note this is only for a right hander trying to hit a straight shot!)

~ If aiming down the centre of a fairway I like to make sure my shoulders are pointing at the left edge of the fairway line

~ If aiming at the centre of the green I like to make sure my shoulders are pointing at the left edge of the green.

Occasionally I stand side on in front of a mirror and look to see when my shoulders are square and then mentally "store" where my shoulders point in this position.

Veefore
24th December 2009, 10:13 AM
When I am struggling with my alignment, I try to pick a spot about a foot in front of my ball then align the clubhead to that. Then, once I have addressed the ball, I will lay the club at my feet along my toes. Then step back behind the line and look down the shaft and the ball-spot line and make sure that they are parallel. If they aren't, I'll tap the shaft to the correctly line, retake my stance then pick up the club and re-address the ball. This can all be done in about 30 seconds and I try to do it about every 3rd or 4th shot when on the range. I will occasionally do it on the course, particularly on really tight driving holes or holes where I have a history of missing to one side. I prefer to only do it if I am first off in the group though as I can do it while I wait for the group ahead to get out of range. The last thing you want to be doing is holding people up while you are doing it.

Minor_Threat
24th December 2009, 11:08 AM
When I am struggling with my alignment, I try to pick a spot about a foot in front of my ball then align the clubhead to that. Then, once I have addressed the ball, I will lay the club at my feet along my toes. Then step back behind the line and look down the shaft and the ball-spot line and make sure that they are parallel. If they aren't, I'll tap the shaft to the correctly line, retake my stance then pick up the club and re-address the ball. This can all be done in about 30 seconds and I try to do it about every 3rd or 4th shot when on the range. I will occasionally do it on the course, particularly on really tight driving holes or holes where I have a history of missing to one side. I prefer to only do it if I am first off in the group though as I can do it while I wait for the group ahead to get out of range. The last thing you want to be doing is holding people up while you are doing it.
Veefore, I am quite sure it is illegal to use your club as an alignment aid in your pre shot routine.

Veefore
24th December 2009, 12:32 PM
Veefore, I am quite sure it is illegal to use your club as an alignment aid in your pre shot routine.

I KNOW that it isn't. I wouldn't have done it without checking my rule book first.

But thank you for your concern. :)

ParMaster
24th December 2009, 12:41 PM

No it is not MT. It is only illegal if you keep it there when your hitting. Same as your allowed to have a caddy align you, but he has to move away when your hitting.

virge666
24th December 2009, 01:53 PM
You can however - use the aligment aid on your golf ball and put the ball on the tee lined up with a twig or leaf on the ground to give your self the perfect practice station on the golf course.

All you do is . .

1: Pick out a twig or leaf
2: Standing behind the twig or leaf - put the tee in the ground.
3: Use the alignment aid on your ball to point to the twig or leaf.
4: Align the marker on your driver to the aid on your ball pointing to the leaf/twig
5: Then address the ball - keeping that straight line with your hips and feet.

this is the best bit though... only works when the leaf/twig is a foot or so in front of the ball !

6: On the downswing, drive your right shoulder to the leaf/twig. You can't help but have your hands in front, and your body goes in the right direction.

Enjoy

Jarro
24th December 2009, 02:59 PM
You can however - use the aligment aid on your golf ball and put the ball on the tee lined up with a twig or leaf on the ground to give your self the perfect practice station on the golf course.

All you do is . .

1: Pick out a twig or leaf
2: Standing behind the twig or leaf - put the tee in the ground.
3: Use the alignment aid on your ball to point to the twig or leaf.
4: Align the marker on your driver to the aid on your ball pointing to the leaf/twig
5: Then address the ball - keeping that straight line with your hips and feet.

this is the best bit though... only works when the leaf/twig is a foot or so in front of the ball !

6: On the downswing, drive your right shoulder to the leaf/twig. You can't help but have your hands in front, and your body goes in the right direction.

Enjoy

.. and just to add to this, make sure you take a real long time lining up/ setting up/ picking your targets .... it'll please your playing partners to no end :roll:

Yossarian
24th December 2009, 04:15 PM
No it is not MT. It is only illegal if you keep it there when your hitting. Same as your allowed to have a caddy align you, but he has to move away when your hitting.

Really? So I could actually drop a club down, wow.

SeldomEagles
24th December 2009, 04:31 PM
Yeah it is a little bit of a tricky one and it requires a bit practise to know where your shoulders should be aiming.

I basically use the following as a guide. (Note this is only for a right hander trying to hit a straight shot!)

~ If aiming down the centre of a fairway I like to make sure my shoulders are pointing at the left edge of the fairway line

~ If aiming at the centre of the green I like to make sure my shoulders are pointing at the left edge of the green.

Occasionally I stand side on in front of a mirror and look to see when my shoulders are square and then mentally "store" where my shoulders point in this position.

Thanks Minor it certainly gives me something to work with, I know bad things are happening with my shoulders at the moment.

Minor_Threat
24th December 2009, 05:31 PM
I KNOW that it isn't. I wouldn't have done it without checking my rule book first.

But thank you for your concern. :)

Well there you go.. Ill have to believe you guys!

Thanks for clearing that up!

AndyP
24th December 2009, 05:35 PM
Veefore, I am quite sure it is illegal to use your club as an alignment aid in your pre shot routine.The latest copy of the Pacific Golfer states that it is allowed. Sounds like a pain in the arse to me though.

razaar
24th December 2009, 06:16 PM
Should be able to control your shoulders by your elbows. Check where your elbows are at address.

SeldomEagles
24th December 2009, 07:21 PM
Should be able to control your shoulders by your elbows. Check where your elbows are at address.

Another great tip. Look out world if I start getting all my bits pointing in the right direction.

Yossarian
24th December 2009, 07:23 PM
Another great tip. Look out world if I start getting all my bits pointing in the right direction. After the matchplay of course.

8)

virge666
24th December 2009, 08:49 PM
.. and just to add to this, make sure you take a real long time lining up/ setting up/ picking your targets .... it'll please your playing partners to no end :roll:

Aren't you a bit cranky for Christmas ?

Do you need a hug ?

Yossarian
24th December 2009, 08:52 PM
Dwarf christmas is in April virge, jarro is angry he misses out on the real Christmas.

Thanks for the tips and comments guys had a good hit at the range today, it helped. Also think I was standing too close to the ball.

TourFit
24th December 2009, 09:36 PM
Dwarf christmas is in April virge, jarro is angry he misses out on the real Christmas.

Thanks for the tips and comments guys had a good hit at the range today, it helped. Also think I was standing too close to the ball.

Before or after you hit it ?

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Yossarian
24th December 2009, 10:37 PM
Very funny tourfit.

adlo
24th December 2009, 11:09 PM
Hire Greg Chalmers' caddy

Yossarian
24th December 2009, 11:11 PM
Very funny adlo.

matty
26th December 2009, 07:28 PM
MT, I found post #8 pretty interesting as I thought I was the only one to line up like this. If I set up for a drive by visually looking at the target I will be aiming on the right edge of the fairway. I know this from the practice range. If I aim for the left edge of the fairway about 250 odd meters away only then am I correctly aiming for the middle. I'll do it with the irons as well. Aim for the left of the green etc.

Must be the way our (my) minds eye views things when looking to the left. Weird.

I AM NOT ALONE! :smt038

SeldomEagles
27th December 2009, 11:30 PM
MT, tried your alignment tip and it seemed to work a bundle better than the rubbish I have been throwing down the fairway lately, cheers for that gem of info.

Minor_Threat
28th December 2009, 07:12 AM
MT, tried your alignment tip and it seemed to work a bundle better than the rubbish I have been throwing down the fairway lately, cheers for that gem of info.
No probs mate, glad it is helping!

virge666
28th December 2009, 07:59 AM
MT, I found post #8 pretty interesting as I thought I was the only one to line up like this. If I set up for a drive by visually looking at the target I will be aiming on the right edge of the fairway. I know this from the practice range. If I aim for the left edge of the fairway about 250 odd meters away only then am I correctly aiming for the middle. I'll do it with the irons as well. Aim for the left of the green etc.

Must be the way our (my) minds eye views things when looking to the left. Weird.

Dunno but would right and left eye dominance dictate this ?

matty
28th December 2009, 08:30 AM
Yeah virge, I reckon it must have something to do with it. Just another thing to complicate matters isn't it!

Minor_Threat
28th December 2009, 08:34 AM

Only my feet are aiming down the left side though, Im not actually aiming left.

matty
28th December 2009, 08:53 AM
I know what you're saying. I only have to look at the left edge of the fairway as if I was setting up to hit there but my body automatically aims itself down the middle.

If I looked down the middle of the fairway and set up to hit there I would be aiming for the right side rough.

Must be that right or left eye dominant thing.

razaar
28th December 2009, 09:10 AM
Many of us can't see a straight line from side on. A good test is to pick a target in the distance and place two objects on the line between the ball and the target one metre apart. Set up at address and see if the two objects and the target form a straight line. If they do you are very lucky and most likely left eye dominant if you play right handed.

Those of us who can't see a straight line have to rely on the spot in front of the ball as a reference and try to start the ball over the spot. The follow through extension should be at the target (not the spot), this thought will help the swing to be inside out.

Daves
28th December 2009, 09:17 AM
I find the splay angle on my back foot position is somewhat important to my alignment. Particularly with driver and FWs where there is more weight bias towards the back foot side. Also seems to be important in my putter set up, surprising how much difference a couple of degrees can make.

Yossarian
26th December 2011, 09:35 PM
Bamp. Some good stuff to ponder here.

interested_party
28th December 2011, 02:23 PM
There's a lot of golf guf on youtube but I like the the way this guy gets his message across clearly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9PithiOsTo

It's a pity he doesn't talk about shoulder alignment because I'm clueless on the topic.

On the point about standing too close to the ball, what do you think about this advice. I think it works for irons but if I try it with woods I feel far too close to the ball:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUVbdUsd1yw