PDA

View Full Version : Pure Grips

just
22nd December 2009, 08:07 PM
Stumbled across this mob recently:
http://www.puregrips.com/
The grips seem similar to Star grips, 100% rubber, injection moulded, made in the US. Anyhow, the reason I'm bringing this up is they have a deal if you buy a grip installer you get 13 grips at 1\2 price and shipping is reasonable.

I've been thinking of going to midsize grips so I've bought the installer and some midsize wraps, so I'll let you know how it goes when I get them.

markTHEblake
22nd December 2009, 10:08 PM
Nice find. can you fit the air compressor onto the back of a ute and you can do all our grips at ozgolf days

henno
22nd December 2009, 10:11 PM
What does the tool offer over a regular needle-airgun thing? Honest question. What does the plastic doo-dad on the front actually do?

just
22nd December 2009, 10:25 PM
Probably not much Henno. Although I would hope it provides a bit better seal and control when putting on the grips, something I have difficulty with when using a needle. When I get it I'll let you know. Anyhow I was more interested in the grips, the installer is just a bonus for me.

henno
22nd December 2009, 10:27 PM
PI would hope it provides a bit better seal and control when putting on the grips

Yeah, I manage with a normal needle, but a nice flat seal to stop the air leaking out would be nice. Let me know how it goes (both the grips and the tool).

MegaWatty
23rd December 2009, 12:40 AM
Pretty cheap postage too at $15 for the grips plus the gun.

I'd be interested on how you find the grips Just.

Are you are sweaty handed type of bloke, or one of those guys that doesn't even have to wear a glove?

WA boys.....If you're keen...I'm opening a new warehouse in my garage.....

razaar
23rd December 2009, 07:20 AM
What does the tool offer over a regular needle-airgun thing? Honest question. What does the plastic doo-dad on the front actually do?
Whenever compressed air is used installing or removing grips always use pvc pipe over the butt section. Air is forced down the shaft and if there is a flaw in the grip or the grip isn't held securely it can come back at you. The plastic is protection and to avoid a flyback.

just
23rd December 2009, 09:36 AM
Are you are sweaty handed type of bloke, or one of those guys that doesn't even have to wear a glove?
I don't sweat, I glisten. I do wear a glove because my hands occasionally become moist though.

Whenever compressed air is used installing or removing grips always use pvc pipe over the butt section. Air is forced down the shaft and if there is a flaw in the grip or the grip isn't held securely it can come back at you. The plastic is protection and to avoid a flyback.
See Henno, you should have just asked Ray from the start, and not consulted amatuers.

razaar
23rd December 2009, 12:02 PM
I don't sweat, I glisten. I do wear a glove because my hands occasionally become moist though.

See Henno, you should have just asked Ray from the start, and not consulted amatuers.
Actually your explanation was spot on Justin...henno knew the reason he was just being smart.:wink:

MegaWatty
24th December 2009, 01:57 AM
OK WA boys. Do you want some of these grips or not? I'm going in, socket me
know!!!

dhills2
28th December 2009, 10:16 AM
Subject to some feedback from Just I'd be keen on these if anyone in NSW is keen.

MegaWatty
4th January 2010, 02:02 AM
I'm sure someone here can answer this question. I currently use Lamkin CL Cords which are .600 core. I have 2 papers (build up tape) under my top hand and a 3rd under my bottom hand. Would a Pure Midsize grip with a .580 core give me about the same thickness without having to use build up tape?

adlo
4th January 2010, 02:09 AM
I think midsize=4 papers

MegaWatty
4th January 2010, 02:36 AM
Purchase made.

13 Pure Wraps and the gun for $103 AUD landed.

Ned
4th January 2010, 06:27 AM
Stumbled across this mob recently:
http://www.puregrips.com/
The grips seem similar to Star grips, 100% rubber, injection moulded, made in the US. Anyhow, the reason I'm bringing this up is they have a deal if you buy a grip installer you get 13 grips at 1\2 price and shipping is reasonable.

I've been thinking of going to midsize grips so I've bought the installer and some midsize wraps, so I'll let you know how it goes when I get them.

Pink ?

just
4th January 2010, 06:12 PM
Pink ?
I'm saving the pink for headcovers.

The package arrived today. Grips and tool look great. I'll report back after I've fitted them and tried them out.

just
5th January 2010, 09:22 PM
Put a grip on my driver this evening. Tool worked like a gem and grip feels niiiice. Like butter. In fact:
http://www.fabioifc.com/2007_STORIES/05-fabio021006_big1.jpg

MegaWatty
5th January 2010, 09:36 PM
Slippery? :)

You went with the midsize wrap didn't you?

razaar
5th January 2010, 09:37 PM
Must have put it on inside out.;)

just
5th January 2010, 09:40 PM
Yep midsize wraps. Soft, but not too soft, and tacky not slippery.

MegaWatty
5th January 2010, 09:42 PM
I'm currently a cord player, but they're shredding my precious hands.

Hope they hold up to sweat and rain.

just
5th January 2010, 09:51 PM
I'm currently a cord player, but they're shredding my precious hands.
x2

KristianJ
5th January 2010, 09:57 PM
Subject to some feedback from Just I'd be keen on these if anyone in NSW is keen.

I'd have given it some thought if I wasn't committed to the Golfworks buy.

MegaWatty
15th January 2010, 09:07 PM
Mine arrived today. Not sure if I like them or not...

However, I need help finding an air compressor from Bunnings. I know that it's been covered within several different threads, but there doesn't seem to be any specific thread on which compressor to get.

Did anyone get theirs from Bunnings? What specs should I be looking for?

henno
15th January 2010, 09:16 PM
I got mine on some special from supercheap. I have replaced the valves though, as the handles were shit and bent easily. That only cost me a few dollars though. (I might have even got change from 5 bucks, from memory).

MegaWatty
15th January 2010, 11:56 PM
Like this one?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/2-5HP-Air-Compressor.aspx?pid=cs132283#related

just
16th January 2010, 07:44 AM
I have had the grips on for a week and I like them. They feel the same as the Star grips for anyone who has tried those. Much nicer than the Ping ID8 grips they replaced.

henno
16th January 2010, 07:55 AM
Like this one?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/2-5HP-Air-Compressor.aspx?pid=cs132283#related

I think that's exactly it.

s12raider
18th January 2010, 10:53 PM
I got the 2hp compressor from Bunnings. Bought the accessory pack with the crap hose. Hose connection on one side is fine other is SHITE so now need to go and buy a "decent" hose - my mates think I'm mad for spending $150 all up on all the gear just to 'try' and fit grips. Tried to put one grip (star grip) on tonight and with all the air escaping I nearly through the club at the compressor!

s12raider
18th January 2010, 10:54 PM
Any ideas on a site I can get a view of how to apply the grips "properly" (proper hose connection not-with-standing of course)?

MegaWatty
24th January 2010, 07:50 PM
Got me a 1hp electric air compressor that doesn't require motor oil. That's a good thing for me as I'm hopeless at remembering that shit.

Anyway, how have they been playing for you Just? I'm still not sure how they are gonna go with sweaty hands. They seem to be pretty grippy with the footjoy glove I'm currently using. Just not sure whether I'm going to go the whole hog and regrip all my clubs again.

Putting the one on that I'm trying was pretty easy once I worked out the right pressure, and if I'm not mistaken, a .580 grip on a .600 butt is the same as two papers under a .600 grip???

Lastly, Rockbottom have the Pure Grips pack pretty cheap at the moment, so if you want any, you might want to jump in.

just
24th January 2010, 08:03 PM
Mega
I have them on all the clubs except the wedges which I'm re-shafting soon, and then Ill put on the wedges as well. I like them, they are tacky, so no problems with sweat and much nicer on my delicate hands.

MegaWatty
24th January 2010, 08:06 PM
Ok. I think I might just do it. They feel really nice chipping around the back yard.

Anyone else point me to a thread or give me an answer on the .580 grips on a .600 butt question?

Iain
25th January 2010, 09:20 AM
Ok. I think I might just do it. They feel really nice chipping around the back yard.

Anyone else point me to a thread or give me an answer on the .580 grips on a .600 butt question?

http://www.golfpride.com/faqs.aspx#in_between_size

MegaWatty
25th January 2010, 10:48 PM
Cheers Iain. That's exactly what I was after. It's good not having to put papers underneath!

Here's the next question. What's a layer of paper under the grip worth in weight? 1gm?

Yossarian
25th January 2010, 11:02 PM
http://www.golfpride.com/faqs.aspx#in_between_size (http://www.golfpride.com/faqs.aspx#in_between_size)

Butt size hey MW?

MegaWatty
29th January 2010, 03:08 AM
These grips are awesome. I've used then for one round today, and they just feel fantastic. I'm pretty pissed off that other guys have been using these types of grips for years and I've remained faithful to my rock hard Crossline Cords!

They are still in special at RBG for 49 bucks for 13 and the compressor installation tool. That's bloody cheap!

Daves
17th May 2010, 11:03 AM
I have just had the Midsize Pure Grips I got in the last bulk order installed on my AP2s. I had my 1st range session with them on the weekend. I like the feel, but found they were getting a bit clammy and slippery after a while. Towelling them helped, but I could not get them feeling tacky at all. I tried giving them a light sand with a sanding block, which worked a treat on the Tour Velvets on my other gamers, but did not seem to make much difference to the Pures. Any suggestions on how to get them tacky?

PeteyD
17th May 2010, 11:06 AM
rub sugar soap into them. At least someone once told me to do that, never tried it myself though!

razaar
17th May 2010, 11:34 AM
Dave, have you tried cleaning vinegar? Wipe the grips all over with a rag soaked in the vinegar, let the grips stand for ten minutes and rinse off in a bucket of fresh water then, flick off the excess water and leave to air dry. Should come up like new.

henno
17th May 2010, 11:38 AM
Should come up like new.

I think the point is that they are new, Ray.

just
17th May 2010, 12:00 PM
Dave
I've got the midsize Pure's and unfortunately can't help you. Never had a problem, even in the pouring rain. I gave up using gloves because they were the tackiest grips I've used.

razaar
17th May 2010, 12:50 PM
I think the point is that they are new, Ray.

I knew that.;) Cleaning vinegar can be got at Woolies & Coles for $1.60 approx.. Excellent stuff for grips (not sure about leather).

PeteyD
17th May 2010, 01:59 PM
We know you love Leather Ray!
http://a.images.blip.tv/Richinyc-LeatherAtTheCenter486.jpg

Daves
18th May 2010, 09:43 AM
Dave, have you tried cleaning vinegar? Wipe the grips all over with a rag soaked in the vinegar, let the grips stand for ten minutes and rinse off in a bucket of fresh water then, flick off the excess water and leave to air dry. Should come up like new.

I did a Vinegar clean last night and it did seem to produce a little bit of tackiness. Will see how it goes in comp tomorrow. I suspect that the main issue was more my cruddy old practice gloves, as I did not have any major issues with the grips on the course yesterday. The cooler weather is probably also a factor in the clammy feel.

PeteyD
18th May 2010, 09:53 AM
Get rid of the gloves Dave. You don't need em.

TourFit
18th May 2010, 11:50 AM
Get rid of the clubs Dave. You don't need em.

:)

Daves
18th May 2010, 01:38 PM
Get rid of the gloves Dave. You don't need em.

My callouses say otherwise!

PeteyD
18th May 2010, 01:44 PM
You get callouses using gloves? You hold on too tight.