PDA

View Full Version : Premium balls & their durability

TheTrueReview
19th December 2009, 11:10 PM
I was having a chat with a guy in a pro shop about this very subject today. By way of example, he reckoned the ProV1 was more durable than the TP Red.

I was wondering what the other members thought about the premium balls now on offer.

Which of the premium ball brand(s) last longer?

Which brand premium ball cuts up quickly?

In any event - what's the typical life expectancy of a premium ball before it starts to look shabby & in need of retiring?

Just interested in your thoughts.

Footnote: I expect the Srixon Zstar lovers to pipe up fairly quickly.

henno
19th December 2009, 11:12 PM
The Pro V easily outlasts the TP red, and I quite like the TP red.

The z-star fans can debate whether or not it's better than a Pro V.

adlo
19th December 2009, 11:17 PM
There is no need for debate. Z star is the clear front-runner. Even our man in the industry, Boz, has confirmed Srixon has made significant improvements in this area and is ahead of the competition.

Anyway, TM TP Red is quite bad.

I find, in order from best to worse, of what I have played regularly enough:

Z Star
Tour i/iX
Pro V/B330 series/Vision X3 (white ones)
TM TP series/Nike (though I have not played 2009 Nike balls)

I think a Z star can look close to new for 36 holes. An i/iX 18-36 holes. The rest are all less than 18 holes.

henno
19th December 2009, 11:19 PM
I would rate the 2009 series Nikes about the same as the TM TP series (as far as durability goes).

MegaWatty
19th December 2009, 11:30 PM
I've heard quite a few pros still aren't quite happy with the Z-Star's feel though, and still believe the V1 is the best feeling ball.

I reckon Boz knows a fair bit on this stuff. He might pop his head in and say some things. Although he might fear an ISG admin style revolt. I know he's got some tour balls on the way soon.

adlo
19th December 2009, 11:32 PM
I think the Z star and Z star X are too different in feel.

The Z star is fairly low compression, which I love. However, the X is very high compression and there is nothing in the middle. Might be part of the problem.

drnick
20th December 2009, 01:31 AM
TP Black LDP.. First shot tops down the guts, second shot into some powerlines over the course and marked my ball a bit. Was 50/50 for me to keep using in comp.

S

Yossarian
20th December 2009, 03:44 AM
Honestly. The zstar is frickin amazing for what it is, Adlo hit one into a cart path and a tree and it looked fine.

I have hit one or two or three or so into the shit all day and it still looked good.

The Cally i-tour IMO is almost as good. It seems to get dirtier quicker than the zstar but it doesn't shear or cut up as quick as other balls.

The pro v, for me cuts up pretty quick, feels about the same as the others. It doesn't feel any better on the putt than any of the others and that for mind is what really matters.

Jarro
20th December 2009, 04:51 AM
Another vote for the Z-star ... it's easily the most durable ball i've tried of late.

ProV1's aren't too far behind, and they certainly have a much better feel than the Z-stars

I too loved the feel/performance of the TP red ... but it's durability is an absolute disgrace !!

Ned
20th December 2009, 08:48 AM
Adlo hit one into a cart path and a tree and it looked fine.

Only one cart path and one tree ?:-k

PeteyD
20th December 2009, 12:11 PM
I don't seem to have durability issues with the Reds (no worse than the Pro Vs etc). Pro Vs seem to discolour quickly though.

MegaWatty
20th December 2009, 12:15 PM
It'd be fair to say that they wouldn't want them to be that durable as the more you swap them, the more they make. Srixon on the other hand have probably had to go down that route to have something over Titleist.

I think it's fair to say that feel vs feel, the Pro V1 is still the best. Sponsorships are nice when you're changing your ball every few holes!!!

Edit: Didn't see Peteys response. The Pro V does discolour easy because of the light lacquer on the outside of a very rubbery cover.

Courty
20th December 2009, 01:03 PM
Z-Star is a clear winner here. In my experience, the TM TP and Pro V1 have the same durability, but the Pro V1 loses its 'whiteness' a little quicker than the TP.

Johnny Canuck
20th December 2009, 01:22 PM
I love the TP Red, but find that I hack them up quite easily.

They are susceptible too very deep gouges from sand shots too. They remind me of the old Titleist Professionals in that regard.

zigwah
20th December 2009, 01:46 PM
z-star is a great ball, lasts longer than a titty and spin is good, but i think the titty prov's are ahead in spin, but for this little black duck the extra spin doesn't make it more attractive than z-star

Value for money, durability, feel and spin z-star hands down, they're almost indestructable.

markTHEblake
20th December 2009, 04:57 PM
If a ball cant last 36 holes its of a poor standard (imho) though i would agree that most that have gone that far are really on their last legs for the final 9.

Though the modern golf course rarely allows me to keep a ball for 36 holes, its quite rare to keep one for 18 these days.

The Prov1's are a real shocker - they just get so dull very quickly.

The Vision balls with the Gel coats, both clear and coloured seem to be the most durable I have ever used, mainly because you simply cant see any of the marks on them.

Johnny Canuck
20th December 2009, 05:08 PM
I love the Pro V1X. If I had an unlimited supply of balls, I would take them for sure.

However, a couple wedges can leave them almost unplayable after 3 holes.

I don't have these problems with Z-Stars or Cally Tour-i's.

holmesy-XLS
20th December 2009, 05:49 PM
I think pro v1x's are pretty good, last 36 before having to pull out another (im not to picky though). although ive only used 1 sleeve of z star's, i dont think they are leaps and bounds ahead of the rest. just my 2 bob

matty
20th December 2009, 06:01 PM
I played with the z star x for the first time today. Very impressed. Much whiter than the pro v1x, same distance, touch less spin, but so much more durable. I might use a pro v1x for two comp rounds before its relegated to the social play pocket because they cut up and dull so badly and I'm forever picking bits off them. After the way the z star looks today it could go four rounds.

Oldplayer
20th December 2009, 06:04 PM
Agree about the TP reds. Good ball to play but durability is poor. Hit a thin shot out of a bunker and they are too marked to play. Pro v's are still a great ball and durable enough for me to regularly get 36 holes out of them. Haven't tried the z stars... must do so. How do they feel off the putter compared to pro v1's?

matty
20th December 2009, 07:08 PM
I found them a bit more crisp off the putter face. At this stage I prefer the pro v1x for the putter but it's probably because I'm used to them. Putted very badly today but can't blame the ball.

Johnny Canuck
21st December 2009, 12:28 AM
The ProV1X I used when I dominated Yoss was dead after 3 holes, without a bunker or a tree. I only kept it in play because I was winning so it was working.

Superstition, now matter how ****ed the ball, if you're scoring, don't change it.

Golfnut
21st December 2009, 01:04 AM
Z-Stars have got my vote......as most have said the ProV's are easily as good but dull and cut up too quick. Found the Bridgestone B330 series balls to be quite durable but still vote them 2nd rate compared to the Z-Stars.

Record so far is 89 holes out of the same Z-Star before losing it but it was still in very acceptable condition.....think Adlo may have played one for longer than that.
Going from the Z-URS to the Z-Stars I gained several metres in length off the driver so IMO it was a significant step forward.

macjackass
21st December 2009, 01:18 AM
I think some of you guys have been drinking the kool-aide with regard to the z stars! I've bought another sleeve to see if they are as durable as you lot keep saying. To me the pro v are the best ball you can get, and it's not close.

adlo
21st December 2009, 02:49 AM
Oldplayer, I think it feels very soft (the Z star that is, never played the Z star X) off the putter. Not as mushy as a B330S but not as clicky as a Callaway ball.

Record so far is 89 holes out of the same Z-Star before losing it but it was still in very acceptable condition.....think Adlo may have played one for longer than that.

Hilarious, 89 holes was my record also. Lost it on the 90th hole. Just as he was due for retirement.

I think some of you guys have been drinking the kool-aide with regard to the z stars! I've bought another sleeve to see if they are as durable as you lot keep saying. To me the pro v are the best ball you can get, and it's not close.

What is the kool aid? We are commenting primarily on durability. Most of us admit it is spins a little less than prov for example. It is, however, the best combination of value and tour performance.

dhills2
21st December 2009, 10:36 AM
Interesting thread this. Pro Vs definitely wear quicker than the others but as someone mentioned previously it doesn't matter one bit to sponsored players - all about performance & not about durability. In saying that, obviously durability is very important to us mere mortals... especially if we are paying top dorra for premium pills. Anyway, I enjoy playing Pro Vs but only when I'm not paying shelf price for them. Does anyone know for sure if durability & performance are somewhat mutually exclusive in a golf ball? I always thought they were but Srixon has got me wondering... should we all switch to Srixon to play a better ball?

Yossarian
21st December 2009, 04:17 PM

From the guy with a R9 as his avatar... :wink:

TourFit
21st December 2009, 04:34 PM
I find that I scuff and feather the Srixon a little less than a TP Red or a ProV1...but it still looks crap after the full 18 holes. In fact, last time I used them one lasted 8 holes before being retired and the other lasted 'til the end of the round before it was in the shag bag !!!

So for me they're all about the same...:shock:

Yossarian
21st December 2009, 04:36 PM
Probably because you use a new set of wedges each round so the groves are always fresh and ready to tear.

TourFit
21st December 2009, 04:41 PM
Probably because you use a new set of wedges each round so the groves are always fresh and ready to tear.

NO...it's because I'm a playa, remember :mrgreen: