PDA

View Full Version : Overseas Holiday/Resort with Kids

just
18th December 2009, 12:20 PM
My wife and I are considering loading up the clan of kids and heading OS for a holiday sometime next year. At this stage we are thinking about a resort with kid friendly amenities in either Bali or Thailand, although we are open to other possibilities. Has anyone done the same? Any recommendations or advice?
Cheers
just

Moe Norman
18th December 2009, 01:37 PM
Fiji and Bali are the picks of the bunch, Thailand not as kid friendly.

just
18th December 2009, 01:41 PM
Cheers Thommo, I'm leaning towards Bali as my first pick.

kpac
18th December 2009, 02:53 PM
Thailand not as kid friendly.

eh, i don't know about that - if i was a kid i'd choose Thailand hands down over Bali and Fiji.

However as a kid many an easter were spent in Fiji and i loved it. Depending on the age of the children i suppose. I'm not fussed by Fiji anymore, Bali is a pretty cool hangout though.

Personally i'd go Thailand. Not Bangkok though.

just
18th December 2009, 03:01 PM
If we do go to Thailand it won't be Bangkok.

Moe Norman
18th December 2009, 03:03 PM
how old are your kids Just?

Kpac, for me I'd be looking for a place where you can have your kids entertained by others for large amounts of time without worrying about them too much. Thailand in my experience wouldn't fit this bill.

I would never take my 3 year old and 1 year old to a Thai resort as they are not set up for that market. Fiji and Bali on the other hand, are great for that sort of thing.

Jarro
18th December 2009, 03:09 PM
A few of the guys at work go to Fiji with their families every year.

They say it's awesome for the whole family.

kpac
18th December 2009, 03:19 PM
how old are your kids Just?

Kpac, for me I'd be looking for a place where you can have your kids entertained by others for large amounts of time without worrying about them too much. Thailand in my experience wouldn't fit this bill.

I would never take my 3 year old and 1 year old to a Thai resort as they are not set up for that market. Fiji and Bali on the other hand, are great for that sort of thing.

You're right there.
I was more thinking of ages 10+ where entertaining themselves becomes an option. That's when i found that thailand rocked.

just
18th December 2009, 03:22 PM
Kids are 5, 3 and 1. Thanks for all the good info so far gents.

PeteyD
18th December 2009, 03:31 PM
Fiji resorts are set up for it. I have heard that you want to get food included as it can be prohibitively expensive.

Grunt
18th December 2009, 06:23 PM
Malaysian resorts are another option Just. I have never had a problem at any of the Asian Nations I have been too.

My Preferences
Malaysian Borneo - People ther ewere great we took Tayla there aged 2/3
Thailand - No Dramas at all, Tayla was 4
Fiji
Any other Asian Destination

Last Bali, if you need to go there go to the GC and just spend less cash.

markTHEblake
18th December 2009, 07:29 PM
Neighbour getting back from Thailand (phuket) this weekend and has kids 6 and 4 roughly.
I'll get some feedback ffrom him later.

PeteyD
18th December 2009, 07:46 PM
Try the Big 4 Van parks in Brisbane. Heaps cheaper :D

gregh
18th December 2009, 08:16 PM
fiji 4 sure, plantation island great for kids with 9 hole golf course for yourself, reccomend taking dinner packages for $99 ppotherwise meals can be expensive

markTHEblake
29th December 2009, 07:23 PM
Neighbour just got back from Phuket. They stayed in the Marriot at Patong beach and said it was brilliant. The kids club in the hotel did a magnicifcent job of looking after the kids all day (as needed) whilst mum and dad went places.

However they said that the Holiday Inn opposite looked better, particularity for the kids, better facilities for them.

Moe Norman
29th December 2009, 10:13 PM
Fiji are currently doing deals where kids stay and eat free...