PDA

View Full Version : Bonville - Worth a round?

oz
13th December 2009, 08:51 AM
I am likely to be in Coffs for a few days after New Year, and will probably have the clubs with me. Bonville looks pretty schmick in it's promos (don't they all?), and I thought I should make the effort if I am going to be there.

Who has played there, and what are there thoughts? Recently?

3oneday
13th December 2009, 08:53 AM
Not for a few years, but worth it. Loved the greens and the walk is pretty spectacular.

Minor_Threat
13th December 2009, 08:54 AM
I havent played there recently (within 5 years) but it is well worth a round.

PerryGroves
13th December 2009, 09:07 AM
Oz, have played plenty at Bonville over the years, well worth a visit. Greens are tough to get accustomed to, very grainy. Sometimes the condition of the course is not up to the location but this year was as good as I have seen it (was there August)

AndyP
13th December 2009, 09:15 AM
I played it with cored greens a few years ago with Coffs_Hacker, and I thought it was worth it. It's an awesome looking course.

Deano
13th December 2009, 11:04 AM
Haven't played there in about 5 year, but I'd say it's a 'MUST PLAY' for sure if you're in the area.

oz
14th December 2009, 07:24 AM
Thanks all - I have booked in as a single in the comp at 9:00am on Wednesday 6 Jan - (if anyone else is in the neighbourhood.) I am looking forward to it, and hoping the course is in good nick after all of their recent rains.

cobra23
14th December 2009, 07:47 AM
They have a tiger tees comp I think it is the 3rd Friday of each month with reduced green fees. Nothing like playing the course at its full length. I haven't played there for 12 months now but a friend recently played there and said it was it great condition.

razaar
14th December 2009, 08:34 AM
Play Bonville once a year and it always rains there. We have been in some dandy thunder storms during a round when it has rained solidly for an hour or so. Within 10 minutes of the storm clearing we were back playing and it was as if there had only been a light shower. The course is built through a small mountain range and water run-off drains away immediately. The layout is designed for motorized cart transport around the course; it is one kilometre between the 8th green and 9th tee with several other green to tee distances being quite long and up & down steep slopes. You will enjoy it, I'm sure.

Captain Nemo
14th December 2009, 12:37 PM
I am likely to be in Coffs for a few days after New Year, and will probably have the clubs with me. Bonville looks pretty schmick in it's promos (don't they all?), and I thought I should make the effort if I am going to be there.

Who has played there, and what are there thoughts? Recently?

Are you kidding, havn't you seen the photo's!
Ive played it twice, not in recent years but its a great "resort style" course, well worth it if you are in the area.

AndyP
14th December 2009, 12:44 PM
Here's some photos (http://picasaweb.google.com/andrewpholden/Bonville281106?feat=directlink) from my round there three years ago.

LarryLong
14th December 2009, 01:03 PM
Last time I was in the area I pulled into the car park on the way past and that was enough to convince me that I'll definately have a round there if I ever get the chance.

I think it cops a bit of stick from the architecture types sometimes, but I'm more interested in setting, scenery and serenity (how's the serenity?).

EDIT: Nice pics AP!

Andrew
14th December 2009, 01:43 PM
I think it cops a bit of stick from the architecture types sometimes

Yes it does, but it depends what you are into.

For one person like me, there are 100 who couldn't care less about the architecture & construction. That's the great thing about golf - it fits all types.

oz
14th December 2009, 02:57 PM
Nice shots, AP. I am really looking forward to it. Grainy greens are not something I am used to, though, so that may be a bit of a challenge.

PerryGroves
14th December 2009, 04:21 PM
Here's some photos (http://picasaweb.google.com/andrewpholden/Bonville281106?feat=directlink) from my round there three years ago.

Great pics, for me Bonville is all about the Par 5's. I have tried laying up, going for all with the usual mixed results. After 50+ rounds, my theory is :

No gain, going for the 4th, 10th or 14th. 3 wood or iron (10) off the tee, lay it up to 100m.

Have a crack at 7 (keep your drive well left of the traps). You gotta chance the arm on 18.

Most of them suit hitting with a draw.

Stuart
14th December 2009, 10:00 PM
Great golf course - well worth playing if you get the chance. The head pro there, Craig Chandler, is one of the nicest guys you'll ever come across.

One word of warning would be to go prepared for the weather - January in Coffs is horribly hot and humid. Bonville is inland from the coast, so you don't tend to get much of a breeze to cool it down either.

jaybam
14th December 2009, 10:23 PM
Like the pics Ap. Would love to get down there for a game sometime. What sort of drive time is it to there from brissy??

Scottt
14th December 2009, 10:47 PM
I loved my two days there back in 2005.

We had planned to do a weekend trip playing Bonville on the Saturday and The Vintage on the Sunday. We phoned the pro shop from the 18th tee on Saturday to book in for the Sunday as well.

I wasn't into architecture then, so probably overlooked a lot of weaknesses, but as a place to play golf it's very special, and has some golf shots you will remember hitting for the rest of your life - like the 3rd shot to #11 and the approach to 18.

I got a bit excited just now simply looking at AndyP's pics. Do it.

PeteyD
15th December 2009, 08:31 AM
Like the pics Ap. Would love to get down there for a game sometime. What sort of drive time is it to there from brissy??

Coff's is about 6 hours or so. It is a great place to get away from it for a bit, and you can play Coff's Harbour and Sawtell as well. CH is a great course. Sawtell is a volunteer track that is a lot of fun to play.

AndyP
15th December 2009, 08:51 AM
It's down to around 5 hours to get there now.

PeteyD
15th December 2009, 09:37 AM
Is the Ballina bypass open yet?

jaybam
15th December 2009, 12:21 PM
ahh so its not really a day trip thing then. Make a weekend of it

davepuppies
21st December 2009, 05:48 PM
I would love to play this course one day! The condition and setting look soooooo nice!