PDA

View Full Version : Kalgoorlie Golf Course

Bruce Dickinson
11th December 2009, 11:30 AM
The final grow in is now under way for the Kalgoorlie Golf Course, with an opening scheduled in mid 2010. A definite welcome addition to golfing options in Western Australia.

It's a Graham Marsh design with wintergreen fairways and G2 greens. True desert course with no rough, its fairway or the red dirt.

MegaWatty
11th December 2009, 11:37 AM
Got to love the contrast of the green fairways with the red soil!

Who organising the Ozgolf day there? There's ONE nice hotel in Kalgoorlie!

Bruce Dickinson
11th December 2009, 11:40 AM
Wow..looks spectacular. I saw recently an advertisement to maintain the golf course. How are they holding for water out there ?

Might be a tough place to use your super shiny Mizuno irons...they'd likely to come back covered in red shit.
plenty of water so that's not a drama, the red dirt is a sand with the same sort of texture I would say as a coarse bunker sand. Its not like the stuff at Araluen and wont damage the clubs.

Bruce Dickinson
11th December 2009, 11:44 AM
Couple more

MegaWatty
11th December 2009, 11:51 AM
5 or 6 hours drive from memory. 1 hour flight and there are plenty each day. I'm about to head out, but I'll post some pics of the knock shops out there. They are classic!

Bruce Dickinson
11th December 2009, 11:52 AM
**** me dead..now I have to go out there and play it.
How long to drive there from Perth ?
Or flights ?
their are at least four flights a day from Perth to Kalgoorlie from Qantas and Skywest which only takes an hour. Drive is a lot more, I've never done it but have been told 5-6 hours?

just
11th December 2009, 12:35 PM
Bruce
Looks interesting. Not a fan of the white sand in the bunkers though, could've got something closer in shade to the red dirt.

ParMaster
11th December 2009, 12:48 PM
Looks nice. I question the necessity of that bunker at the top left of the par 3 hole on the 2nd last photo though..

adlo
11th December 2009, 02:01 PM
Looks great, thanks for the pics Bruce.

simmsy
11th December 2009, 03:29 PM
I go up to kal every 6 months for work. been looking at this course slowly come together for a while now. they have had a lot of trouble with money and so forth. it's great looking around at the red dirt with the green of the fairway. hopefully they can get it up and going in the near future.

Bruce Dickinson
11th December 2009, 03:44 PM
I go up to kal every 6 months for work. been looking at this course slowly come together for a while now. they have had a lot of trouble with money and so forth. it's great looking around at the red dirt with the green of the fairway. hopefully they can get it up and going in the near future.
should be open for play in May/June next year.

SeldomEagles
11th December 2009, 05:38 PM
6 hour drive will get you there boring as bat crap between Southern Cross and Coolgardie, not much more entertaining the rest of the way. Looks sensational compared to the red dirt sand greens I remember when I was working up there about a thousand years ago

Golfnut
12th December 2009, 01:44 AM
Love the contrasting colours....big improvement from sand greens.....FIFO workers must be getting excited to see it coming together, they'll finally have something to do other than work/sleep/root hookers.

zigwah
12th December 2009, 10:04 PM
love the look

BrettM
15th January 2010, 09:02 AM
I walked it yesterday. The back 9 has been stolonised and is expected open for play in July. Some greens yet to be seeded. About a 1 hour flight from Perth on a 737. It will be a very high visual impact course. There are some interesting greens, the 9th (in the second photo) is a big green and has 3 big tiers which finish at the bunker in the right of the photo. To give you an idea of quality, the Council expect the standard to be comparable to Joondalup or The Vines in WA.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x67/kelbrett/P1140010.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x67/kelbrett/P1140019.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x67/kelbrett/P1140054.jpg

adlo
15th January 2010, 09:31 AM
I walked it yesterday. The back 9 has been stolonised and is expected open for play in July. Some greens yet to be seeded. About a 1 hour flight from Perth on a 737. It will be a very high visual impact course. There are some interesting greens, the 9th (in the second photo) is a big green and has 3 big tiers which finish at the bunker in the right of the photo. To give you an idea of quality, the Council expect the standard to be comparable to Joondalup or The Vines in WA.

Hopefully more like Joondalup.......

Thanks for the pics Brett.

The course looks heavily bunkered. Did you get that impression?

MegaWatty
15th January 2010, 09:41 AM
What's their public access status like? I'm just thinking of all the bogans getting on there and making a mess of it.

BrettM
15th January 2010, 09:42 AM
Why The hell aren't you blokes wearing shorts ?
Was Purch there ?

No he wasn't, just me. And it wasn't that hot, only 36C yesterday.

Hopefully more like Joondalup.......

Thanks for the pics Brett.

The course looks heavily bunkered. Did you get that impression?

It will have around 74 bunkers from memory. Some look interesting in drive lines but the width will provide options. The 11th will be bunkerless.

BrettM
15th January 2010, 09:45 AM
What's their public access status like? I'm just thinking of all the bogans getting on there and making a mess of it.

Green fees will be $55.

WBennett
15th January 2010, 10:01 AM
Is there a market for a $55 dollar course in Kalgoorlie? Is Kalgoorlie fly in fly out similar to Port Hedland?

I spose other R&R options for the workforce may be limited.

Bruce Dickinson
15th January 2010, 01:46 PM
Is there a market for a $55 dollar course in Kalgoorlie? Is Kalgoorlie fly in fly out similar to Port Hedland?

I spose other R&R options for the workforce may be limited.
Its the only course in Kalgoorlie, which has 30,000 residents so its got a monopoly. Their is a FIFO component, but probably not as much as Port Hedland

Their is also a membership base to support the course.

JohnLLL
15th January 2010, 01:58 PM
It looks great!
I reckon the course will do fine..there is a lot of money in Kalgoorlie and most serious golfers in the area could afford to join up.

simmsy
15th January 2010, 05:24 PM
yeah it will be a full resort course apparently, so plenty of bogans on the course.
speaking to a guy i work with up there, all the current clubs will close down and form a merger of sorts to join the new club. Sounds a little bit like what Tourfit was talking about the other day to me with Scottish golf clubs. Each club will get certain timeslots each day and then the rest to public access.

Bruce Dickinson
15th January 2010, 05:30 PM
yeah it will be a full resort course apparently, so plenty of bogans on the course.
speaking to a guy i work with up there, all the current clubs will close down and form a merger of sorts to join the new club. Sounds a little bit like what Tourfit was talking about the other day to me with Scottish golf clubs. Each club will get certain timeslots each day and then the rest to public access.
all the clubs have merged to become one club

markTHEblake
15th January 2010, 06:32 PM
That looks like it will surpass Alice Springs, maybe.

The red dust maybe very similar to the alice, not like a bunker, and bloody difficult to play from, until you figure it out.

adlo
16th January 2010, 06:18 PM

You remember what TourFit says?

Golfnut
16th January 2010, 06:20 PM
Who does?......but I'm sure he'll be happy to repeat himself.

adlo
16th January 2010, 06:27 PM
Who does?......but I'm sure he'll be happy to repeat himself.

:lol:

So true!!

Yoss did a TourFit yesterday. It was classic.

Yoss: "Hey Adlo, have I told you story about my mate......."

Adlo: "Yes, you have"

Yoss: "Well, what happened was........ (insert repeated story here)...."

Adlo: "Why did you just do that? I said you had told me."

Yoss: "I don't know...."

Adlo: "You have spent too much time with TourFit"

Golfnut
16th January 2010, 06:39 PM

Another helpful tip when visiting TF.....never, and I mean never show any interest in his photos hanging in his office :roll:

adlo
16th January 2010, 06:42 PM
Too late!!

Golfnut
16th January 2010, 06:49 PM
I'm sure he said he's preparing a nice slide show presentation for the down south bash :lol:

adlo
16th January 2010, 06:52 PM
"For my 761st slide, we have a picture of......."

Yossarian
16th January 2010, 10:53 PM

So true!!

Yoss did a TourFit yesterday. It was classic.

Yoss: "Hey Adlo, have I told you story about my mate......."

Adlo: "Yes, you have"

Yoss: "Well, what happened was........ (insert repeated story here)...."

Adlo: "Why did you just do that? I said you had told me."

Yoss: "I don't know...."

Adlo: "You have spent too much time with TourFit"

:oops:

Sorry mate. Not sure what happened there. I blame the calves.

MegaWatty
16th January 2010, 11:15 PM
Who's in for a trip to Kal later in the year? The only place I'll be staying is the Breakwater!!!

adlo
16th January 2010, 11:20 PM
I'd be keen to head there sometime.

simmsy
17th January 2010, 01:28 AM
i head up there in Aug/Sept each year.

MegaWatty
17th January 2010, 01:30 AM
I might have to arrange to do a stocktake up there! That way I don't pay for flights or accomodation!

adlo
17th January 2010, 01:33 AM
Can I sleep on the floor of the hotel room????

MegaWatty
17th January 2010, 01:42 AM
The floor of the Breakwater would beat a bed in any other Kal hotel. And the cupboards are to die for Yoss!

adlo
17th January 2010, 01:47 AM
I'm in depending on what days of the week. Damn you work! I despise you!

simmsy
17th January 2010, 01:53 AM
HA! suffer. you are nothing but a slave now my friend.

now i probably have to rely on Yoss for a game midweek don't i?

simmsy
17th January 2010, 01:54 AM
crap! we all lose out with you going back to work.

adlo
17th January 2010, 01:55 AM
ha ha, exactly!

Johnny Canuck
17th January 2010, 02:00 AM

Another helpful tip when visiting TF.....never, and I mean never show any interest in his photos hanging in his office :roll:

:smt038I nominate this for one of the posts of the year. So true!!

But at least we'll get good coffee.

Yossarian
17th January 2010, 06:55 PM

Funny guy. You to MW.

Wankers. :lol:

adlo
9th August 2010, 10:29 PM
Any word on the opening date?

Anyone keen for a November weekend trip?

henno
9th August 2010, 10:34 PM
Silly question, but why don't they (or can't they) use existing or at least matching sand in the bunkers? I'm sure there's a good reason, but I just noticed that the whiter-than-white bunkers looked very conspicuous. (Not that green fairways in the middle of a desert aren't conspicuous anyway.)

adlo
9th August 2010, 10:38 PM
Perhaps they are having mercy on all the golfers who choose to wear white pants.

Henno, your reputation suggests you might be thankful for this consideration.

Golfnut
9th August 2010, 10:41 PM
Adlo, my brother was over there week before last and he said there were people playing on the course so there's a good chance it's already open.

adlo
9th August 2010, 10:42 PM
Good news.

So, November. Anyone? And will there be public access on weekends I wonder.

Yossarian
9th August 2010, 10:42 PM
Late Nov?

Golfnut
9th August 2010, 10:44 PM
Fly or drive?

Johnny Canuck
9th August 2010, 10:45 PM
I'm connected. We can get on.

adlo
9th August 2010, 10:45 PM
Depends on flying costs I suppose. Yoss, whenever really. My bday is early Nov but any weekend in Nov for a golf weekend is acceptable.

JC: discounts?

Yossarian
9th August 2010, 10:50 PM
I am keen but my exams are weeks 2 and 3 of Nov, and the cost could kill me given I go overseas a week after that I think.

MegaWatty
9th August 2010, 10:53 PM
November should be nice and cool up there!

It's not red sand you see in the rough Henno, it's basically exploded red gravel. I'm gonna need a set of Pings to play up there!

And my source in Kal tells me it's open.

Johnny Canuck
9th August 2010, 11:25 PM
I'm sure I could arrange some discounts. I'd prefer driving.

TourFit
9th August 2010, 11:43 PM
Silly question, but why don't they (or can't they) use existing or at least matching sand in the bunkers? I'm sure there's a good reason, but I just noticed that the whiter-than-white bunkers looked very conspicuous. (Not that green fairways in the middle of a desert aren't conspicuous anyway.)

They ran out of red sand henno !!! :lol:

I'd prefer driving.

Would love to get the 5.7L TourVan out for a run...let it have it's head for a bit !!!

A customer of mine is a member and said to give him a call if we head up there...I'll see what I can do???

adlo
9th August 2010, 11:48 PM
Driving is preferred for me too, but you'd prob have to head off Friday PM presumably. Otherwise you'd spend the entire weekend driving.

MegaWatty
9th August 2010, 11:55 PM
I'll fly and get an extra round or two. :)

Golfnut
9th August 2010, 11:55 PM
Not the nicest drive either.....anyone done it quicker that 4.5hrs?

idgolfguy
10th August 2010, 02:33 AM
I could be in too. Flying costs may be prohibitive. 5 hour trip is not out of the question.

TourFit
10th August 2010, 09:12 AM
Well, if we get enough interested people that can commit, then it would be worthwhile hiring a mini bus. The TOTAL fuel costs of 6 or 7 guys driving would be more than the van hire...you could probably even get a driver! (or a putter for Yoss).

I remember we did it when I was playing soccer, mini-bus up (a few beers on the journey!) out for dinner/pub that night, game Sunday, drive straight back (few beers on the bus!).

idgolfguy
10th August 2010, 09:14 AM
Sounds like a plan.

MegaWatty
10th August 2010, 09:30 AM
5 hours on a bus and only a few beers? I'd be blinder than a welder's dog by the time we got there!!!

TourFit
10th August 2010, 09:33 AM
We can get Yoss to handle the organisation for...

A) Bus
B) Driver (if appropriate)
C) Accomodation
D) Alcohol (for bus trip)
E) Tee Times
F) Apres Golf entertainment / dinner
G) Collecting of monies and paying of necessary deposits

The Clusterf*** of ALL Clusterf**** !!!!

TourFit
10th August 2010, 09:37 AM
5 hours on a bus and only a few beers? I'd be blinder than a welder's dog by the time we got there!!!

Considering the actual legalities of said behaviour these days...maybe it's better that we just 'go easy' on the piss drinking (if any) on the bus. If we have an official driver it might also hinder said behaviour!! The fines are quite a bit from what I've heard.

(Maybe Zeus can fill in some blanks here. Or otherwise he can come along as our "GET OUT OF JAIL FREE" card) :)

Johnny Canuck
10th August 2010, 10:41 AM
Take Friday off work. Leave early, play a fun, piss drinking 18 on Friday.

18 (minimum) on Sat. Drive home Sunday.

TourFit
10th August 2010, 11:10 AM
Leave Friday mid arvo (half day off). Arrive Kal mid evening. Go to pub.
Play Saturday morning (possibly arvo as well)
Play early Sunday morning...drive back Sunday arvo (leaving around 1 ish)

Johnny Canuck
10th August 2010, 11:22 AM
Sounds good. We'll leave in the morning, you leave in the afternoon. The car ride will be much quieter for all.

TourFit
10th August 2010, 11:42 AM
Well I reckon that it'll be LESS likely that most will be able to take the Friday off...just basing that on OzGolf events so far, and the people that'll likely go.

It would seem easier to either leave late Friday and get in to Kal later evening, or even leave VERY early Sat morning and play Sat PM and again Sun AM before driving home!!!

Tiger and I can continue our 'club' conversation in the mini-bus on the way over....6 hour bus trip should just about see it to conclusion !!!

MegaWatty
10th August 2010, 11:44 AM
JC banned Tiger.

TourFit
10th August 2010, 11:50 AM
JC banned Tiger.

Actually...we ALL banned Tiger. JC had to break the news to him as the 'friend' responsible for bringing him along !!!!

BTW MW, where are you???? I'm gonna start JC's wedge otherwise !!!

MegaWatty
10th August 2010, 11:57 AM
Start them. Backs a bit rooted and I'm finding motivation to be a bitch. I'll pop up for the rain gear soon enough.

idgolfguy
11th August 2010, 12:52 AM
TF, you have my Mizuno driver? Hope to pick it up on Friday.

Also have the Mizunos to change grips and lies when you're less busy. Still haven't had a hit with them yet.

MegaWatty
11th August 2010, 12:58 AM
TF, you have my Mizuno driver? Hope to pick it up on Friday.

Also have the Mizunos to change grips and lies when you're less busy. Still haven't had a hit with them yet.

He has it. It's nice. And the head cover is stunning! ;)

TourFit
11th August 2010, 10:43 PM
He has it. It's nice. And the head cover is stunning! ;)

So stunning in fact that I just got one for my MP630...'cos I also got some blue F50 headcovers for my fairways...and I have some nice blue Mizuno iron covers !!!

Yossarian
11th August 2010, 10:49 PM
Issues.

TourFit
11th August 2010, 10:50 PM
Bless you !!

MegaWatty
7th February 2011, 11:28 PM
In case you missed the WA Courses thread...
\\:D/

Veefore
8th February 2011, 01:01 AM
In case you missed the WA Courses thread...

There's a WA Courses thread????

MegaWatty
8th February 2011, 01:14 AM
Review 1 - November last year. (http://www.golfaustralia.com.au/2010/11/381/)

Review 2 - Jan this year. (http://www.insidegolf.com.au/course-reviews/kalgoorliegolfcourse/)

I cannot wait!

BayBum
8th February 2011, 10:41 AM
Awesome view from the sky :)

6,700m is a beast although i have played a course @ 6,900,it wasnt much fun score wise lol.Those 2 par 3's mentioned will test any golfer let alone the rest of the course.First time out will def have to be off the big boys tees without doubt !

MegaWatty
8th February 2011, 10:54 AM
Yup. It's long. However, the air and firm fairways are going to make it play shorter than that.

The contrasts are just amazing.

TourFit
8th February 2011, 11:11 AM
Next WA OzGolf Day...?

7 hour drive. We could hire a minibus or something, get some accomodation and organise tee times...easy really.

(Unless you get Yoss to do it).

MegaWatty
8th February 2011, 11:16 AM
I'll let you know what it's like. I have my flights and accommodation ready to go! :)

idgolfguy
8th February 2011, 11:23 AM
What's a flight worth? Or may take the car for a run.

TourFit
8th February 2011, 12:37 PM
It's a 550km journey IDG...but in your car you'll do it in about 300.

MegaWatty
8th February 2011, 12:42 PM
300km wouldn't get him to Kal, no matter how fast he goes!

idgolfguy
8th February 2011, 07:32 PM
2 and half tanks of fuel for a round trip - about$ $190.

rubin
8th February 2011, 07:53 PM
Next WA OzGolf Day...?

7 hour drive. We could hire a minibus or something, get some accomodation and organise tee times...easy really.

(Unless you get Yoss to do it).

Like that idea. By all reports its an awesome course

Golfnut
9th February 2011, 01:03 AM
Yup. It's long. However, the air and firm fairways are going to make it play shorter than that.

Probably some merit to this MW.....my brother's played it twice (9 holes only) in the last couple of months (think he's heading back there tomorrow too) and he said his drives off the tee were all longer by on average 20m, he thought it was the hired clubs.

MegaWatty
9th February 2011, 01:24 AM
In reality if he took his own clubs it'd probably be 50m!

Golfnut
9th February 2011, 01:27 AM
300m drives!!!! :shock:

MegaWatty
9th February 2011, 01:28 AM
I reckon easily out there. Although I have read that Marsh has created a lot of forced layups which will prevent driver on several holes.

Golfnut
9th February 2011, 01:30 AM
Interesting......would be worth the trip just to brag about a 270m+ drive.

MegaWatty
9th February 2011, 01:38 AM
The date is set...

Golfnut
9th February 2011, 01:42 AM
Have fun...

idgolfguy
9th February 2011, 01:43 AM
When?

MegaWatty
9th February 2011, 02:25 AM
March 9.

simmsy
9th February 2011, 08:40 AM
Just go to KB nut.

MegaWatty
7th March 2011, 03:36 AM
Wednesday 7am. Ohhhhh yeahhhhh!

MegaWatty
8th March 2011, 03:35 PM
http://db.tt/MTUnV8E

http://db.tt/SNgYVGp

Pieface
8th March 2011, 03:39 PM
Plenty of woodchips about. You should feel right at home MW!

Looks sweet 8)

MegaWatty
8th March 2011, 04:08 PM
All the best courses have recycled trees on the ground. I get to play it tomorrow.

A note on that pic of the green. From what I can gather, that is the ninth an the picture is taken from behind the green. It is heavily sloped from front to back with three tiers!

Pieface
8th March 2011, 04:14 PM
Have fun Mega should be awesome. 30C so not too hot either.

That green looks like a beast

TourFit
8th March 2011, 04:31 PM
That would be a fun approach with a back pin...especially if you come up short on the front tier. Nice LOOONNGG downhill monster putt.

You'd need a 'Nut level short game to make Par.

Nuffie
8th March 2011, 04:37 PM
Got to love the contrast of the green fairways with the red soil!

Who organising the Ozgolf day there? There's ONE nice hotel in Kalgoorlie!

And that would be the Rydges (formerly the Broadwater)? Have stayed there about 6 times :mrgreen:. The spa bath is sweeeeeeeet, after a long day at work. It would be after walking a 6,800m long golf course too. 2nd longest desert course in da world!

Bruce Dickinson
8th March 2011, 05:01 PM
All the best courses have recycled trees on the ground. I get to play it tomorrow.

A note on that pic of the green. From what I can gather, that is the ninth an the picture is taken from behind the green. It is heavily sloped from front to back with three tiers!

its a 3 tier green sloping with the top level at the front of the green, from memory it sits on angle from the fairway

MegaWatty
8th March 2011, 06:09 PM
I think you are correct BD. A pin on any tier would scary if you're not close.

TourFit
8th March 2011, 06:31 PM
A bit similar to 3rd at Secret Harbour...that's a fun putt from front left to a back right pin.

Pieface
8th March 2011, 07:04 PM
A bit similar to 3rd at Secret Harbour...that's a fun putt from front left to a back right pin.

Just wipe the hole before you need the putter. Easy solution!

MegaWatty
8th March 2011, 08:05 PM
http://db.tt/XQ7clDu

6768m from the tips!

simmsy
8th March 2011, 08:16 PM
ur like a kiddie on christmas eve aren't ya.:lol:

MegaWatty
8th March 2011, 08:39 PM
Aha. Except I don't think many kids were destroyed on a Christmas day. I have a feeling I might get destroyed tomorrow!

simmsy
8th March 2011, 09:03 PM
no altitude, bet very windy sometimes of the year, looks pretty good tomorrow.

the council wanted a course they could host a PGA event at given it's a gold town and a fairbit of money usually around that sort of scene, i don't know who would play up there from Nov-Feb though when it is often 40+ deg.

TourFit
8th March 2011, 11:10 PM
Plus the roll you'll get from fairways baked to concrete...

Oh, and the CB2's won't like it off the dirt either. That nice black finish wouldn't last very long.

I'm picturing you now...hosing the red dirt off them in the driveway like a mad Four Wheel Driver.

MegaWatty
8th March 2011, 11:29 PM
It is so lush up here it's not funny! Everything is so green. I'm not sure how much roll there will be.

I have the 'Araluen Club' with me in case I encounter the bad stuff.

dave1
8th March 2011, 11:33 PM
Im keen to tackle it...the rpo there is ex alabny pro Paul

super nice guy who took some time away from the golf game.....

the course was designed to host big tournament one day

what yardage do club players play off?

and what does that 6700 m rate? 74..?

MegaWatty
8th March 2011, 11:37 PM
Got to check the card again when I get back to my room. Members play the blue tees I'd guess. 6433m.

Golfnut
9th March 2011, 12:15 AM
5 looks like it will be a beast of a hole.

adlo
9th March 2011, 12:18 AM
6400+ is quite an undertaking for a member, week in, week out.

simmsy
9th March 2011, 12:25 AM
hell yeah, they get days up there that make the seabreeze at KB look calm as well.

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 12:47 AM
Mind you, that's to the middle of the greens. Going on the size of the green that I saw, it'd be a hell of a lot shorter if all the pins were placed in the front of the greens!

simmsy
9th March 2011, 01:11 AM
U still at the Exchange?

Say hello to Candy for me.

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 01:20 AM
She went home last week. Still at work!

Hogan's Bogan
9th March 2011, 01:49 AM
My social group are looking at Kal for their annual weekend away. Now I've seen this it looks interesting. I'll make sure not to offer to drive.

Red dirt looks different. Glad my irons are about 15 years old, I get my money's worth at golf courses and use all available space, bar fairways.

BayBum
9th March 2011, 02:27 PM
Did you play off the champs Mega ? How did you go on 5,15,17 & 18 ?

It sets up perfect for championship golf.From 14 onwards you get no respite except for 16:shock:,length wise anyway,great finishing holes from the looks of the card.

I hope their long term plans come to fruition8-)

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 03:22 PM
Amazing course. I think I have at least one photo of every hole. I played it from the members (blues). Every Black tee is a postage stamp tee block.

I will try my best to post more details tonight but I am heading home to a daughter that has been throwing up through the night and a wife who looked after her. Great timing, eh?

simmsy
9th March 2011, 06:59 PM
yet you are still on-line posting here!

hope your daughter is better soon mate.

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 07:11 PM
She's asleep. I just got home. Here comes the pics!!!

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 07:15 PM
Attention to detail is amazing there. Everything is rough and rustic. You find all types of knick knacks around the course and along the cart paths including old kettles and rough pieces of metal. There's even the odd timber barrel as well.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0090.jpg

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0091.jpg

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0098.jpg

simmsy
9th March 2011, 07:21 PM
Great Stuff, cheap and easily replaceable if need be in the future too!

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 07:22 PM
I didn't get a pic, but the hazard markers a painted dead braches chopped to size.

Course pics have almost uploaded.

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 07:28 PM
Unfortunately, I started on the 10th. Oh well!

1st 336m Par 4

From the first fairway. Sorry, I don't have the pic from the tee.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0107.jpg

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 07:30 PM
2nd 502m Par 5

From the tee. Dog legs from left to right. Those trees right block out 3/4 of the tee block. A cut is needed to get it around them from the far left! Not ideal!

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0109.jpg

Pieface
9th March 2011, 07:31 PM
Okee that's an intimidating approach! First pic...

MegaWatty
3rd 332m Par 4 ...I think I missed a photo! It's actually a nice little hole! Edit: Found it!

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0110.jpg

4th 179m Par 3

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0111.jpg

MegaWatty
Okee that's an intimidating approach!

The first? It's not really. I had a 65m pitch in.

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 07:33 PM
5th 429m Par 4

Index 1 into the wind!

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0112.jpg

From my drive.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0113.jpg

Driver, 3hy got me to here...pin high.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0115.jpg

Easy Par!

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 07:36 PM
6th 382m Par 4

Beautifully framed by those two tress way down there.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0116.jpg

Fairway

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0117.jpg

Blocked out with a waste water hazard crossing in front of the green! Lucky it was dry. ;)

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0118.jpg

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 07:40 PM
7th 35m Par 4

Half way down.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0119.jpg

An Oasis? There is so much water around the place. Very little comes into play.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0120.jpg

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 07:41 PM
8th 199m Par 3

Another example of the rubbish that just lies around the place giving it character.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0121.jpg

Pin tucked back left.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0122.jpg

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 07:45 PM
9th 516m Par 5

.....with THAT green!

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0123.jpg

Fairway

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0125.jpg

70m out and you can't see the green at all! The pin was on the front tier...thank god!

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0127.jpg

I made sure I wasn't long.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0129.jpg

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 07:47 PM
Here we go. The 9th green gets it's own post. It's 47m front to back.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0130.jpg

Remember. This is the front of the green, looking towards the back, and I couldn't even see that from 70m out.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0131.jpg

You get the idea.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0132.jpg

Pieface
9th March 2011, 07:48 PM
Amazing looking course MW. Hope you enjoyed it.

I take it the photo on the first was 250m+ out then?

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 07:58 PM
Yeh. I may have got it just after the whites. Can't remember.

As I started on 10, I forgot to take a pic as I was:
1. Trying to work out which way the hole went.
2. Had a a boner.

10th 389m Par 4

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 08:00 PM
11th 518m Par 5

Note the waste area where the dogleg corner is.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0092.jpg

Heading towards the waste where the fairway starts.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0093.jpg

The waste.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0094.jpg

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 08:01 PM
12th 301m Par 4.

Yup...Short!

Boonja left. Balls die in there. Yellow Z Stars especially!

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0095.jpg

Approach to green over more waste and bunkers.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0096.jpg

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 08:02 PM
13th 133m Par 3

Short Par 4 followed by short Par 5.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0097.jpg

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 08:04 PM
14th 385m Par 4

Pretty much straight away Par 4. Bunkers either side of fairway to give you a nice line.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0099.jpg

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 08:17 PM
15th 548m Par 5

Possibly the best and worst hole on the course! The tee shot is blind. All you have is a bunker left and right to thread the ball through. I took the right edge of the left hand bunker and hit it perfectly. I get to the top of the hill and the hole doglegs left! My ball would have ended deep in the kack. The line seems to be left edge of the left hand bunker with a draw! One of those holes.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0100.jpg

Possibly the best green complex on the course. How can something so bad look so good at the other end?

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0101.jpg

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 08:19 PM
16th 346m Par 4

Great looking hole once you actually work out where it goes. This is from the green looking back. That water looked purple!

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0102.jpg

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 08:20 PM
17th 178m Par 3

I think this was my favourite hole. Amazing!

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0103.jpg

simmsy
9th March 2011, 08:21 PM
I'm gonna have to call some more potential clients, maybe do a marketing day in Kalgoorlie.

simmsy
9th March 2011, 08:21 PM
do you have to cart it? or walking ok?

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 08:24 PM
18th 402m Par 4

Great finishing hole with the fairway split by a bunker and some tricky slopes on the green.

The view from the 17th green to the 18th Black Tee Box.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0104.jpg

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0105.jpg

A tricky putt. It lipped out for birdie. :(

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/Kalgoorlie%20GC/IMG_0106.jpg

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 08:24 PM
do you have to cart it? or walking ok?

We used a cart. I needed to get around quickly before the flight and had a mate who wasn't the greatest player.

It's walkable. All the ladies that were out there for the comp were walking it.

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 08:30 PM
The air is pretty thin up there and the ball flies at least a club, if not 2 clubs longer.

The couch fairways give you a lot of roll minimising the length of the course.

The greens are still very young and as a result are super hard. Even full wedges picked perfectly weren't getting that initial bite. This makes the long Par 3's and long approaches impossible to hold a ball on the green.

The greens are actually pretty slow and whilst not be overly long, the grain of the grass seemed to sit quite upright, if that makes sense.

They mentioned that they need to put a growth retardant on the grass because it is growing faster than they can mow it. This was evident on all the the tee blocks that resembled a first cut of rough and was quite off putting on a lot of tee shots. Possibly the worst thing I experienced. Although the blind tee shot on 15 may be worse than that.

I am sure there will be a few injury claims with the driving range adjacent to the 18th fairway and the balls coming straight at you whilst walking towards the green. By 10am, there were several balls scattered across the 18th fairway.

They are looking to build a clubhouse followed by a resort in the future.

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 08:39 PM
I was going to right my own review until i saw this and decided that I couldn't be stuffed. This guy knows what he's talking about. I don't!

From Planet Golf (http://planetgolf.com.au/index.php?id=1492)

Golfnut
9th March 2011, 11:25 PM
Excellent MW......I know you've only played it once but how do you rate it compared to courses down here?

It looks magnificent......might have to try bum a flight up with my brother next time he's out there just to play it.

adlo
9th March 2011, 11:29 PM
Does look great. Right up there with the finest of WA resort courses. Cheers MW.

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 11:41 PM
Excellent MW......I know you've only played it once but how do you rate it compared to courses down here?

It looks magnificent......might have to try bum a flight up with brother next time he's out there just to play it.

The wow factor is massive. I want to go back and play it tomorrow. I think Joondalup had that same thing the first time but maybe not to this extent.

As I mentioned, it is just really well finished with bits and pieces all over the place. The mowers and tractors just seem so out of place.

Whilst we all love KB, this course is very solid and I rate it up there. There are a lot of different routes around the course making it more of a thinking course than the other resort courses. KB excluded. A driver is probably rarely needed off the blues and playing the tips wouldn't be as hard as it seems.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it earlier, but every black tee box is a postage stamp tee. It really looks great seeing it used consistently.

rubin
9th March 2011, 11:46 PM
Looks amazing mate.

I think someone mentioned it earlier, but that looks like an OZglf day candidate!

MegaWatty
9th March 2011, 11:47 PM
I'm already looking at another non work related trip.

rubin
9th March 2011, 11:49 PM
might have to try and wrangle a corporate day out there with some of the country clients.

Yossarian
10th March 2011, 12:14 AM
Looks pretty sweet.

dave1
10th March 2011, 01:49 AM
looks like eyensbury just a bit

its australias only true desert course that is fully grrassed...they are comparing it to courses in nevada and phoenix

adlo
10th March 2011, 09:27 AM
I'm already looking at another non work related trip.

On a weekend?

Bruce Dickinson
10th March 2011, 10:06 AM
told you boys it was going to be good :D

Bruce Dickinson
10th March 2011, 10:37 AM
Bruce
Stupid question considering the first course has just been opened but does this place need a second course to make it more attractive for a weekend or 3 day getaway ?

the plan is too build a resort on the property, that's the real goal for this development. If they do that then the second course would probably become needed as it does then become e legitimate golfing destination

MegaWatty
10th March 2011, 11:16 AM
G69 and BD. What's your take on that 9th green?

Bruce Dickinson
10th March 2011, 11:46 AM
G69 and BD. What's your take on that 9th green?

I thought it looked pretty cool, reminded me a little bit of the 8th green on the quarry nine at Joondalup which is 3 tiered from front to back (not as severe) or the 4th or 5th hole on the Lake Karriynyup short course. Its a short iron approach for a 3rd shot so to me it looked like it was all about distance control. How did you find it Mega, i'm assuming the greens wouldnt be super quick so putting from the wrong tier wouldnt be a major issue