PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine Coast Open Easter Championship, March 26-27

AndyP
22nd February 2005, 02:44 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, I am going to try and play in the Sunshine Coast Open Championships this year, which are always held at Headland GC (http://www.headlandgolfclub.com.au) (link).

All of the details are on the Entry Form (http://www.headlandgolfclub.com.au/database/newsletter/Easter%202005%20pdf%20entry%20form.pdf)(link), but I will summarise it below:

36 Holes
Sat/Sun 26/27 March.
Entry Fee: $30 with nomination (closes 18/3). Payable by Cash or C/C.

Angus Buchanan event.
36 Hole Open/B(6-11)/C(12-27) Grade Champion/Runner-up
36 Hole A(0-5)/B/C grade Nett Winner/Runner-up
A/B/C grade daily gross & nett prizes.
Daily NTPs and approaches.

Tee Times: 6:30a-7:54a, 10:30a-12:29p
We wouldn't be able to reserve a big block, but you can nominate a preferred time, and preferred playing partners.

Although nomination is by the 18th, I would suggest that we get our forms in as soon as we can. If there are quite a few of us, we could send forms off, as each group is formed, but I'll wait and see what interest there is.

Players:
1. AndyP

markTHEblake
22nd February 2005, 11:16 PM
Players:
1. AndyP
2. MarktheB

all those poofs from brisbane (ie scratch golfers) will be playing in their own little arranged groups, so it wont be a problem for us also.

We can just tell them we are the "Pro's from Dover"
(kudos to whoever names where that phrase comes from)

BrisVegas
23rd February 2005, 08:19 AM
We can just tell them we are the "Pro's from Dover"
(kudos to whoever names where that phrase comes from)

From MASH...

Pros From Dover
The pros from Dover is an American slang term for outside consultants who are brought into a business to troubleshoot and solve problems. The term comes from the 1968 book M*A*S*H by Richard Hooker. In the book, the character Hawkeye is described as using the guise of being the pro from Dover to obtain free entrance to golf courses:

[Hawkeye] would walk confidently into a pro shop, smile, comment upon the nice condition of the course, explain that he was just passing through and that he was Joe, Dave or Jack Somebody, the pro from Dover. This resulted, about eight times out of ten, in an invitation to play for free. If forced into conversation, he became the pro from Dover, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New Jersey, England, Ohio, Delaware, Tennessee, or Dover-Foxcroft, Maine, whichever seemed safest.
Later on in the book, when Hawkeye and fellow surgeon Trapper are called from Korea to Tokyo to perform surgery on a congressman's son, the following exchange takes place:

'All right,' Trapper said. 'Somebody trot out the latest pictures of this kid with the shell fragment in his chest.'
"No one moved.
"'Snap it up!' yelled Hawkeye. 'We're the pros from Dover, and the last pictures we saw must be forty-eight hours old by now.'
This latter exchange is repeated in the 1970 movie, but the term pros from Dover is not explained in the script. People who had seen the movie, but not read the book, started using the phrase to mean outside experts/consultants without understanding that Hawkeye was using the term facetiously, referring to an old con he used to run.

markTHEblake
23rd February 2005, 12:58 PM
I honestly thought it was Trapper that said that. I seem to recall he was the better golfer, OTOH he was a low marker, and shot a good round in Tokyo after that scene. maybe about Par. But he didnt hang around for the final round/s

andylo
23rd February 2005, 01:12 PM
Players:
1. AndyP
2. MarktheB
3. AndyLo

macleod
24th February 2005, 11:41 AM
is that the easter weekend?

i don't know nuttin' and never retain easter holiday dates...no room in brain...would forget how to breathe...

mmmm....bodysurfing and then golf for 2 days....sweeeet

AndyP
24th February 2005, 12:01 PM
is that the easter weekend?
Yes, surprisingly the Easter Championships are being played on Easter weekend. The Saturday and the Sunday are the days of play.

Hmmmm, I wonder if I could play at Nambour on the Good Friday.

macleod
24th February 2005, 03:43 PM
:roll:
thought it might have been one of those close association things. ie. week before or after easter proper. i forgot that i only ask irrelevant questions to get my post count up , well silly old me :lol:

it's not like it's axiomatic or anything.....:D

markTHEblake
26th February 2005, 12:10 PM
Players:
1. AndyP
2. MarktheB (pencil)
3. AndyLo

Middle ridge open is on same weekend. I am considering going out to stay with the folks at easter instead of sunny coast. I'll decide in a few days, after consulting with she who must be obeyed.

Golfgirl
26th February 2005, 01:41 PM
Holy Crap Vegas..... :shock: I've heard that phrase a ton of times and had no idea what it was about..... :shock: :?

AndyP
10th March 2005, 02:50 PM
Players:
1. AndyP
2. MarktheB (pencil)
3. AndyLo

Middle ridge open is on same weekend. I am considering going out to stay with the folks at easter instead of sunny coast. I'll decide in a few days, after consulting with she who must be obeyed.
Blakey, have you made up your mind on this one?

I want to send my entry form off in a couple of days. Do we want times in the early morning blocks?
A-Lo, do you want me to send one off for you too? If so, I will need to get some details from you.

AndyP
14th March 2005, 09:55 AM
Players:
1. AndyP
2. AndyLo

Will be sending entry forms today or tomorrow.

AndyP
17th March 2005, 04:44 PM
Entry forms sent.

Draw should come out Saturday or after.
www.headlandgolfclub.com.au

If anyone decides they want to join us, put our names as preferred playing partners. Our preferred tee-time was 6:45a, but I have no idea if we will get close to that.

AndyP
21st March 2005, 03:55 PM
Battle of the Andys
26-27 March, Headland Golf Club

Round 1
Saturday, 7:05a, 10th Tee.

Round 2
Sunday, 6:58a, 1st Tee (unless someone gets into the seeded draw).

Link to Draw (http://www.headlandgolfclub.com.au/database/newsletter/Easter%20Open%20Draw%202005%20PDF.pdf)

andylo
22nd March 2005, 12:14 AM
Thanks for all that Andy :)

Do you know any accomd. in the surround (which is not expensive)? 1.5 hrs of driving is too tire for me nowadays.

markTHEblake
22nd March 2005, 01:20 AM
there is a motel overlooking the 9th hole.

triva: once owned by Roger Davis which sent him broke, so he had to start playing golf again.

AndyP
22nd March 2005, 01:48 AM
Do you know any accomd. in the surround (which is not expensive)? 1.5 hrs of driving is too tire for me nowadays.
Easter is one of the worst times of the year to get accom on the Sunny Coast.

You could try a backpackers.
Maroochydore/Mooloolaba/Buderim are places that will keep you close to the golf course.
http://www.backpackertours.com.au/accommodation/frames/QLD/showaccom.php?acc=10
Do a google search.

AndyP
22nd March 2005, 02:15 PM
Hope this helps you to get there, A-Lo.

From Bruce Hwy
Take the Buderim Exit onto Sunshine Motorway. Then take the Mountain Creek Exit and go through the round-a-bout to a set of lights. Turn left onto Karawatha Drive and right at the first round-a-bout onto Golf Links Road.

AndyP
26th March 2005, 04:56 PM
Battle of the Andys

Round 1
AndyLo 98 nett 71 (par 72) =D>
AndyP 86 nett 73

Plenty more shots that A-Lo can pick up tomorrow too. He's probably at Horton Park Driving Range right now, working on getting rid of his cold top shot that he was using today (including his first). Plus, he has more idea about the course now.
As g69 has mentioned before, he needs to work on his course management.

Not sure if he will turn up tomorrow though, as we got him some accommodation only a couple of blocks from the Mooloolaba esplanade and the nightlife. Who knows what could happen. ;)

Putting was a challenge for both of us today. Nasty pin positions, and very slick greens. I would expect it to be even harder tomorrow.
ACR may end up being 73, if the conditions got tougher this afternoon, as expected. So we could see A-Lo lose upto 0.8 off his handicap (his first handicap drop).

When we left, we were 2nd and 3rd in C grade (12-27). Of course, there were only 4 scores up at that stage, so I probably shouldn't read into too much.

Good fun. Looking forward to tomorrow. Both of us are hoping to improve, of course.

Round 2
Sunday, 6:58a, 1st Tee

Golfgirl
26th March 2005, 05:33 PM
Battle of the Andys

Not sure if he will turn up tomorrow though, as we got him some accommodation only a couple of blocks from the Mooloolaba esplanade and the nightlife. Who knows what could happen. ;)

Part of your strategy, Andy?? :wink: :lol:

AndyP
26th March 2005, 05:38 PM
Battle of the Andys

Part of your strategy, Andy?? :wink: :lol:
Well I didn't take him to Bli Bli to look for a room first. ;)

I'll be ringing him at 3am tomorrow morning too.

Jarro
27th March 2005, 04:39 AM
nice shootin' fellas 8)

let's hope A-Lo has another blinder today ... he needs to drop that Hcap a bit :wink:

AndyP
27th March 2005, 05:04 PM
Battle of the Andys

Round 1
AndyLo 98 nett 71 (par 72) =D>
AndyP 86 nett 73

Neither of our handicaps budged, as the CCR was 71. Yet A-Lo was equal 4th (I was eq 7th) in a field of 75 Div 3 players. So it looks like the low markers were carving it up. An equal course record of 65 was set yesterday as well.

Round 2
Sunday, 6:58a, 1st Tee[/quote]
AndyP 88 nett 75
AndyLo 107 nett 80

Total
AndyP nett 148 (+4)
AndyLo nett 151 (+7)

Didn't see too many good scores come in by the time we left, so maybe the course was playing even harder today. Pins were certainly nastier, and there was a bit more wind.

I can highly recommend A-Lo as a golfing partner. It was a good weekend. Thanks for coming mate.

Onewood
27th March 2005, 06:17 PM
Well played guys 8)

Andylo is about to break his handicap :P

PS
AP Disregard the scores I asked for in the "what did you shoot thread" :D

AndyP
28th March 2005, 09:29 AM
Div 3 final results
Gross: 1st - 167, 2nd - 168, 3rd - 169.
Nett: 1st - 139, 2nd - 145, 3rd - 146 (missed it by 2 shots).

Don't know what the CCR was from yesterday yet.

Golfgirl
28th March 2005, 04:45 PM
There's always next year, Andy..... :wink:

It's always a hard day out on the second day with the pin placements at that joint, particularly if it gets breezy.