PDA

View Full Version : Bunker play

Andrew_S
9th December 2009, 06:02 PM
Following on from the very helpful comments from my last post, I have discovered (yet) another lagging (but not the good lag) aspect of my game... Bunker play.

So I've watched all the instructional vids, read up about it etc and I can get out ok but I just struggle to find any type of consistency. My typical setup for a non-plugged lie is:

(1) set up feet slightly open to target (dig into sand if necessary)
(2) open blade, then re-grip
(3) swing smoothly and aim to strike the sand about 5cm behind the ball and hear that skipping sound when the sand is compacted

Often it seems like the ball just barely gets out and other times I connect with the ball a little too well and makes me question my rhythm.

Is it simply an issue of inconsistently hitting the sand? I don't get much bunker practice in on the course, which would explain why it is so far behind other aspects of my game. Right now, I'm just happy to get out of the bunker and on the green, let alone think about where I want to land it.

I know I'm meant to hit it fat, but what is the proper sensation from making a solid swing from a regular lie (assuming the ball isn't plugged etc)? Are you even meant to contact the ball or feel like you contact the ball?

Sorry for the million questions...

Any drills you fellas might suggest?

Cheers

virge666
9th December 2009, 06:44 PM
Just grab your SW for soft sand and you Lob Wedge for hard sand

You don't HAVE to open it up - just hit it 1 or 2 inches fat.

Now go and experiment in a couple of different bunkers. You will learn more 1/2 an our in a bunker that you will on any forum or Video

If you must do Video stuff - look up Peter Cowan, Bunker Masterclass.

Daves
9th December 2009, 06:53 PM
I think Virge agrees, I have seen nothing better than Fat Phils vid for bunker technique;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Q9GEd3MkU

dan
9th December 2009, 08:05 PM
Here's a goodie from phil...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYG8hwJQolE&feature=related

TheNuclearOne
9th December 2009, 08:18 PM
A much overlooked and i found personally very important point is to match your sand wedge to your bunkers. My local bunkers are quite firmish, and i was slaving away with a 56/14 wedge having not much luck. After chatting with the pro and taking his personal wedge for a trial i nabbed a 54/10. It helped substancially in my case. YMMV

Daves
9th December 2009, 08:22 PM
A much overlooked and i found personally very important point is to match your sand wedge to your bunkers. My local bunkers are quite firmish, and i was slaving away with a 56/14 wedge having not much luck. After chatting with the pro and taking his personal wedge for a trial i nabbed a 54/10. It helped substancially in my case. YMMV

Agree, was surprised myself how much difference the bounce makes. Much as Virge has suggested, I use my low bounce lobby in our clay bunkers, and my high bounce gappy when the sand is plentiful and fine.

TheNuclearOne
9th December 2009, 08:28 PM
Agree, was surprised myself how much difference the bounce makes. Much as Virge has suggested, I use my low bounce lobby in our clay bunkers, and my high bounce gappy when the sand is plentiful and fine.

Whenever i am on tight or wet sand i go the 50* or lobby like yourself, depending on the lip and distance.

zigwah
9th December 2009, 08:49 PM
I use the 60 out of all bunkers long and short shots

goonie
10th December 2009, 02:40 PM
Biggest problem I find that some people do is that they try to hit down on the ball like a normal shot instead of just going under the ball and scooping the ball out, for me it is a very wristy swing with a light grip and not a lot of body movement.

virge666
10th December 2009, 03:40 PM
Biggest problem I find that some people do is that they try to hit down on the ball like a normal shot instead of just going under the ball and scooping the ball out, for me it is a very wristy swing with a light grip and not a lot of body movement.

Interesting...

I am pretty much the opposite. I find wristy just doesn't have enough control or power to keep going through the sand, I also find if you break your wrists, the clubhead comes up to quickly.

I have what is called a butterfly grip, very strong right hand and very weak left hand. I then just hit the same way I do all other pitch shots, c0ck the wrists and then release the clubhead with my body.

Same as my chipping and pitching...

goonie
10th December 2009, 06:15 PM
I was told, and read somewhere, that the swing used for bunker shots was very different to the normal swing and thats why Pro's don't practice it for to long periods as it may affect there normal swing.

Jarro
10th December 2009, 06:16 PM
That Mickelson clip is very informative.

Lots of good things to be learned there 8)

chappy1970
11th December 2009, 09:11 AM
I think Virge agrees, I have seen nothing better than Fat Phils vid for bunker technique;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Q9GEd3MkU

Agreed, this video is a must for those struggling in the sand.

daMANiack
13th December 2009, 10:43 AM
Hi,

I used to have real problems getting out of bunkers without hitting thin because I was approaching the ball at too shallow of a swing patch. I was shocking for a 5 hcp golfer, 50% bunker shots were thin and long, 40% fat and short, about 10% just OK.

I worked out a simple way of creating a steeper path that works.

On your back swing for a RH, keep the right elbow close to your right hip, the clubhead will be on a steeper path and keep the right elbow near the hip until impact.

What it does:

Steeper club swing path
Creates shoulder rotation as you're not seperating
Stops body lungeing
Aggression at ball, less likely to club scoop
Works for me, try a couple practice swings on your lawn and you'll see what I mean.

This method works for chipping and pitching as well.

Cheerz :) :D ;)

Andrew_S
17th December 2009, 07:04 PM
Will try that. I recently played at a course with some powdery sand and found it much easier to get out (with control). Of course, I did get plenty of practice that day (not in a good way).