PDA

View Full Version : Reducing swing weight in irons?

Lucasto23
8th December 2009, 12:40 PM
My irons are currenttly d3 and are an inch over standard with the 5 iron playing to 38.75 with DG s 300's.

If i reduce the swing weight to D2, what effect will this have on distance?
What would i have to do to get them to play at D2 at current length?
Can i do something that allows me to keep the current shafts in the clubs as is?

Appreciate the help of the club fitters;)

Iain
8th December 2009, 12:45 PM
You're not that tall are you?! That's a lot over standard, I'm amazed they're not heavier than that.

Lucasto23
8th December 2009, 12:47 PM
I'm not, but have had the lie angle checked and all was fine. The weight is just getting to me late in my rounds ;)

3oneday
8th December 2009, 01:08 PM
Trim em by half an inch, surely would give you some added accuracy anyway !

Johnny Canuck
8th December 2009, 01:09 PM
Cut a couple inches off the bottoms of the grips. You don't need the full grip, do you?

Lucasto23
8th December 2009, 01:13 PM
Trim em by half an inch, surely would give you some added accuracy anyway !

Could do, but won't i need to adjust the lie angle then ?

Cut a couple inches off the bottoms of the grips. You don't need the full grip, do you?

Intresting;) will the weight change make much difference?

TourFit
8th December 2009, 01:32 PM
JC, as usual, is pulling your leg (as well as something else :wink:)

Firstly, reducing by 1 swingweight point will hardly be noticeable. The TOTAL weight at the end of the round may be the issue. DG's are heavy. The solution here MAY be to look at a lighter shaft weight (such as DG SL etc etc)

However, if your irons are based on a 38.75" 5 iron, and you need reduce swingweight, the easiest thing is to take off about 1/4" in length. If you take off 1/2" you will lose way more than 1 SW point (more like 3 !!). From losing 1/4" length you should be OK for lie angle in the short term.

What I may suggest is to do it with the 5 iron first...take off 1/4" and see if it makes any difference...if you need more length off it then take off another 1/8" or 1/4" depending on what you prefer. When you've made up your mind with the final length on the 'test' club, then do the rest to match.

Lucasto23
8th December 2009, 02:10 PM

Firstly, reducing by 1 swingweight point will hardly be noticeable. The TOTAL weight at the end of the round may be the issue. DG's are heavy. The solution here MAY be to look at a lighter shaft weight (such as DG SL etc etc)

However, if your irons are based on a 38.75" 5 iron, and you need reduce swingweight, the easiest thing is to take off about 1/4" in length. If you take off 1/2" you will lose way more than 1 SW point (more like 3 !!). From losing 1/4" length you should be OK for lie angle in the short term.

What I may suggest is to do it with the 5 iron first...take off 1/4" and see if it makes any difference...if you need more length off it then take off another 1/8" or 1/4" depending on what you prefer. When you've made up your mind with the final length on the 'test' club, then do the rest to match.

TF, I knew he was having a feel just didn't know he wanted a squeeze;)

Thanks for that, i was waiting for you or virge to see it and that does sound like a solid solution so will chop the 5 iron a 1/4 inch and see how we go :smt038

Thanks for your help:D

goonie
8th December 2009, 02:24 PM
you need to shorten the clubs, or add weight to the grip end of the club, so heavier grips or roll back the grip a little and put some lead tape under the end of the grip, but this will be ading to the total weight which is what is making it hard late in the round. you want a lower total weight or nedd to gt fitter :-) I tried DGSL's but found them to light, but the KBS's are just about right (110-112g after trimming).

Lucasto23
8th December 2009, 02:42 PM
you need to shorten the clubs, or add weight to the grip end of the club, so heavier grips or roll back the grip a little and put some lead tape under the end of the grip, but this will be ading to the total weight which is what is making it hard late in the round. you want a lower total weight or nedd to gt fitter :-) I tried DGSL's but found them to light, but the KBS's are just about right (110-112g after trimming).

I thought maybe trying the Kb's but when i hit them on demo clubs it gives me a higher launch and my launch is already pretty high so have put that idea aside for now

razaar
8th December 2009, 04:15 PM
Lucas, can I suggest you shout yourself a nice new set of Ping irons for Christmas. Should be cheaper than a gym membership.
:mrgreen:
PS: maybe you get lazy later in the round with the shaft flat and laid off.
:lol:

Lucasto23
8th December 2009, 08:29 PM
Lucas, can I suggest you shout yourself a nice new set of Ping irons for Christmas. Should be cheaper than a gym membership.
:mrgreen:
PS: maybe you get lazy later in the round with the shaft flat and laid off.

Um know, my iron's are like ping's any way and what is a gym;)

Ray, that's swing advice and if i am ever going to be a bona fide Ho i can't listen to that:smt108

But will take it on board8-)

3oneday
8th December 2009, 08:34 PM

breathe !

Lucasto23
8th December 2009, 08:39 PM
breathe !

:lol::lol::lol:

goonie
8th December 2009, 08:52 PM
breathe !

Not enough pauses for you?

3OD you are a pinup for all post count junkie's :-)

virge666
8th December 2009, 09:07 PM

That there is the shnizzle.

3oneday
8th December 2009, 09:17 PM
Not enough pauses for you?

3OD you are a pinup for all post count junkie's :-)

I wanna be like Jarro ;)

Lucasto23
8th December 2009, 11:00 PM
I wanna be like Jarro ;)

Get out of here :smt108