PDA

View Full Version : GBWG starts journey

GolfBallWhackerGuy
8th December 2009, 09:56 AM
Gday,

After a 5 year hiatus from golf altogether, Ive finally joined a club (New Brighton GC) as a social playing member. Im told that Im not actually a club member but I get an AGU thru golflink which is good enough for me as I am "allowed" to play once (or twice if Im lucky) per month.

As Ive had my permission notes signed and stamped, I'll be playing 5 rounds in the next few weeks to get my AGU h/cap and Im hoping that it will not be too high as to be labelled a "burglar" (as what happened the first time I joined a club :cry:). Ultimately, my goal is single figures (pretty hard goal to get) but short term is playing consistently mid-low 80's and hopefully breaking 80.

Will let you know how it goes... :D

Lucasto23
8th December 2009, 10:17 AM
Good luck with it mate, nothing wrong with being a burgalar thought ;)

GolfBallWhackerGuy
8th December 2009, 01:41 PM
Yeah Thanks mate. I prefer not to be labelled as one though.

AndyP
8th December 2009, 05:30 PM
Did you look at other clubs in your area before signing up to New Brighton? Tennis clubs, bowling clubs, croquet clubs and fishing clubs are much better options that golf.

adlo
8th December 2009, 09:05 PM
All the best, keep us posted.

3 cards is all you need for the handicap too. New rules. Makes it easier for you.

GolfBallWhackerGuy
9th December 2009, 08:38 AM
Haha. Good one AndyP. Lawn bowls is for when i cant swing a club anymore and do people play croquet here? =) I never got hooked on fishing with my zero catches in 5 outings record. LOL The golf seemed like a better option at the time. Ask me again in a years time and it might be a different story. Haha

Thanks Adlo. They said I needed to hand in 5 to get a golflink AGU h/cap but I'll ask them again. Cheers

adlo
9th December 2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks Adlo. They said I needed to hand in 5 to get a golflink AGU h/cap but I'll ask them again. Cheers

We had the same discussion with Zig when he joined Shep.

The new rules call for 3 cards. If they disagree with you, they are wrong.

GolfBallWhackerGuy
17th December 2009, 04:10 PM
So today was my first outing. First time i played the course. Shot a dismal 100. Grrr.
I was nervous as hell and it was stinking hot. Two of my playing partners had to bail mid-round due to the heat. Hope theyre okay.
I never had it going until the 18th when i parred the hole (1st and only par of the day). I'll just ponder on that last hole to keep me from being on a downer.
Booked to play next thursday and hoping the nerves and the heat didnt book the same tee-time.

GolfBallWhackerGuy
12th February 2010, 08:58 AM
Well, Ive finally handed in my 5 cards (Adlo, the club said I needed to hand in 5 to get a golflink AGU so i couldnt really argue with them).
I shot 100, 98, 90, 91 and 96. The handicap they given me is 20.
Its going to be a long road to get to where I want to be but Im committed to trying to improve. But at least I play in open comp days and with other ozgolfers (if you'll let me). =)

henno
12th February 2010, 09:06 AM
Your club was wrong, but you're right in saying that there is nothing to be gained from arguing with them.

CobraSS
12th February 2010, 09:13 AM
Don't know what the par or ACR is for your course, and how many holes you shot greater than a triple bogey on,that were subsequently adjusted down. But it looks to me as though they went on BURGLAR watch and gave you a handicap based on the best three cards of the five that you handed in.

Which given the number BURGLAR's I see getting new H/C's and then shooting the lights out for the next several weeks at my course, it probably isn't such a bad thing for them and the rest of their members.

GolfBallWhackerGuy
12th February 2010, 09:38 AM
Henno, I reckon its so they could get more money off me as i pay $40 per game. But I wanted a Golflink AGU so i can play open day comps with my mates and that was the whole purpose of joining on the cheap $150pa social playing membership deal they had going.

CobraSS, from what it says on scorecard, the ACR is 73 and Par is 72. I recently also got a social club handicap of 19. I dont know how they compute h'caps, but looks like they have similar formulas.

CobraSS
12th February 2010, 09:45 AM
Given the above, assuming you had nothing worse than a triple bogey (and they actually did equitable score adustments) it looks as though they gave you a H/C based on the best 3 of the cards you handed in.

matty
12th February 2010, 10:09 AM
20 is okay. You'll probably improve pretty quickly. Its a very long road to improvement. Just when you think you have worked some things out the golfing gods bring you back down to earth.

It's all part of the journey.

GolfBallWhackerGuy
12th February 2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks Matty. Yep, its all part of the journey. Thats what great about this game. Awesome one day, dud the next. But its just good to be back playing.