PDA

View Full Version : definative answer needed.

zigwah
7th December 2009, 07:32 PM
The DVS shaft that came out with the MT460, is this a made for or real deal as it doesn't have made for on it anywhere?

If not real deal has anyone cycled any of these?

Fishman Dan
7th December 2009, 07:38 PM
I think a definitive question would help.

henno
7th December 2009, 07:38 PM
It's a piece of crap anyway, made-for or not. Grow some tomatoes on it.

I do have an x-flex one in transit though, so we'll see if that's any better.

jaybam
7th December 2009, 07:43 PM
yes
no
maybe
who cares?

zigwah
7th December 2009, 07:44 PM
I'm not so sure anymore it was shit, may have been the fool on the end of it.

I thought it launched too high.

Aldila website says 60s but they actually weigh 63g

Shaft i have says 65s

Tomo
7th December 2009, 07:55 PM
Leaving yourself open on that last one Zig

zigwah
7th December 2009, 07:58 PM
Oh well :) i do that all the time :)

Yossarian
7th December 2009, 08:18 PM
Zig, I don't think this is a good shaft. For anyone, except maybe an old lady who swings like a really old lady. Its a noodle. Having seen your swing you don't swing like a really old lady so I don't think it will be for you. But in the interest of being definative in the true sense of your question. Give it a crack it may just suit you.

zigwah
7th December 2009, 08:23 PM
I did give it a crack and didnt like it, but that was a while ago.

It does feel whippy, how do i stiffen it a little? tip trim or but trim and what effect will it have?

adlo
7th December 2009, 08:31 PM
Tip trim.

Pretty sure the 65g is "made for".

Nothing wrong with a DVS, just not for golfers with a quick tempo.

LarryLong
7th December 2009, 08:36 PM
It does feel whippy, how do i stiffen it a little?

You could try taping another shaft to it?

TourFit
7th December 2009, 08:45 PM
OK Zig...listen very carefully, I shall say this only once !

The 65 DVS shafts (like the 65 VS Protos) are ALL 'made for' shafts. The Aldila VS Proto and DVS range are 60,70,80 etc as Aldila stock and the 65, 85 versions are the OEM 'made for' shafts.

The DVS shafts are a different kind of shaft, in that they are tip soft and butt stiff!!! What that means is a little more tip response (ie kick) through impact, with a higher launch and slightly more spin. However, the butt section plays stiffer than both the VS Proto and the NV shafts...what THAT means is that it has more firmness under the hands for those with fast or aggressive transitions, who are still looking for a responsive tip section.

There is no right and wrong shaft here Zig...if you don't like it, don't ask too many more questions, just move it on !! Chances are, it is the right feeling shaft that dictates whether you will like it and play it. And the shaft properties aren't going to change.

Perhaps try 1/4"-1/2" tip trim and reinstall...that'll stiffen it a bit. Don't go anymore than 1/2" though for a driver...you'll take away some re-sell value.

Oh, and BTW, Yoss, it IS a good shaft in the hands of someone who likes it !!! Just ask Appleby. Or me...

Yossarian
7th December 2009, 08:47 PM
Noodle. And not even a long and straight noodle, more a short wonky noodle.

TourFit
7th December 2009, 08:48 PM
Noodle. And not even a long and straight noodle, more a short wonky noodle.

When did you hit one ??? What weight/flex/club was it in ??? I've seen you hit short and wonky plenty of times...maybe it wasn't the shaft !!! :mrgreen:

henno
7th December 2009, 08:50 PM
I can pump the "made for" version in my cally diablo out there, but it's still a shitter. And it hates (and I mean HATES) a quick transition.

Even when razaar had a swing of mine he said it had the feel of a firm reg at best.

But as tourfit said, this is not always a bad thing. Smooth swingers would love it.

zigwah
7th December 2009, 08:54 PM
Thanx Tourfit.

I think i will give it another go.

Yossarian
7th December 2009, 09:00 PM
When did you hit one ??? What weight/flex/club was it in ??? I've seen you hit short and wonky plenty of times...maybe it wasn't the shaft !!! :mrgreen:

Hold on I could be getting confused with the dvs or something... :-k

Drank way to much on the weekend and didn't throw up in any wardrobes so it has hurt me bad.

razaar
7th December 2009, 09:14 PM
If that is the driver I hit on the 18th at Shep GC then it has an original shaft. If I remember correctly it said stiff but felt more like a regular to me. I thought it was a damn fine driver.

3oneday
7th December 2009, 09:44 PM
Loved the shaft, but my transition is pretty slow :roll:

;)

It is made for though, as Tourfit said that range and the VS Proto was ending in 0 for the proper shaft.

zigwah
7th December 2009, 09:46 PM
If that is the driver I hit on the 18th at Shep GC then it has an original shaft. If I remember correctly it said stiff but felt more like a regular to me. I thought it was a damn fine driver.

It was.

I think a revisit to this shaft is in order.

TheNuclearOne
7th December 2009, 10:24 PM
Some of these OEM tossers muddy the waters by undertipping their factory shafts and/or having them play soft to flex via made for etc. They still believe most of us try and play a shaft too stiff due to ego so try to satisfy us and make us play supposedly better golf via trickery. For those of us that need a genuine stiff and or know our game, well we are out of luck.

When medium or soft tipped shafts are made to play soft to flex, well it's pretty damn pronounced due to the active tip.

I find with a bit of tipping the VS and DVD made for's play very very similar to the real deal. It's anything but proven that they are any different, tho obviously quality control may not be as fine.

I find the DVS isn't bad at all in the clubs i have it, and my transition is absolutely rough as guts. I've got a stocko 85s in my XCG hybrid and it's shockingly good, and a 75s in a 3 wood that seems fine. I'd bet big money these are playing stiffer than some mentioned in here.

The DVS sits right between the NVS and VS Ziggy.

Johnny Canuck
7th December 2009, 11:31 PM
i have a faster transition, it didn't suit me.

goonie
8th December 2009, 12:40 AM
The "Made for" or OEM DVS and VS are the opposite to the OEM NV and NVS which end with a 0, eg 60, 70. Very confusing for some and bad marketing if you ask me.