PDA

View Full Version : South Africa 2010

poidda
7th December 2009, 01:02 PM
So here we go!

Australia v Germany
Monday, 14th June - 4:30am

Australia v Ghana
Saturday, 19th June - Midnight (Sunday Morning)

Australia v Serbia
Thursday, 24th June - 4:30am

Here's our opening games in Aussie times. it's a shame we got two late games in stead of the 9;30pm kickoffs.

As for the group, it could be far worse. Serbia is an unknown, but they aren't France or Portugal like it could have been.

We've played Ghana twice in the past few years for a 1-1 draw and a 1-0 win, so we know we can beat them.

Germany are always solid, but they aren't a team that score a shyte load of goals, so if we get a lucky one past them who knows. I'm glad this is our first game. They've got more to lose than us.

And if we do managed to get through we'll be up against Englands group. It is by far the easiest group in the draw so if we manage to top our pool, we'll possibly have the easiest round 16 game up for grabs. If we get 2nd we'll be more than likely up against England which would be awesome.

BIO.

goughy
7th December 2009, 01:13 PM
If we get through our group it doesn't matter. Someone will take a dive, get a penalty kick and cheat us out anyway. We're a nothing nation in the scheme of things and us getting somewhere isn't in the grand plan!

WBennett
7th December 2009, 01:42 PM
It didn't matter what group we were going to end up in, we were not going to play an Asian nation, NZ, or a weaker nation like Honduras.

Germany are vulnerable at the moment, Ghana rely on Essien and Serbia are just like Croatia were three years ago - beatable to an Australian team. None of the three are complete divers like Italy or Brazil, so a physical game that Australia plays won't be a monumental handicap.

My only worry is we lose a few players from our best 11 prior to the Cup - imagine a team without one or two of Cahill, Neill, Kewell, Emerton or Schwarzer. We'd look like and probably be relative easybeats.

However, Cahill is scoring again, Kewell is scoring again, McDonald is a goal every second game in Scotland. Second round is not out of the question, then who knows from there.

kobbsno10
7th December 2009, 01:55 PM
I think it's a real tough group to be honest! Germany are a real strong side, Ghana have some top players and Serbia topped their group in qualifing! I think it's tough for each team in this group, Those three teams will look at Australia and think that they will have a game on their hands for sure. It would be nice to see the Socceroos beat England in round two though!

adlo
7th December 2009, 02:02 PM
The group is no cake walk. But as it has been said, could be much worse.

I think a healthy Australian side will progress to the next round.

kpac
7th December 2009, 02:54 PM
Check your dates

kpac
7th December 2009, 03:04 PM
For mine, it is no different to 06. If we are to progress we'll have to play better than we ever have.
It's unlikely that we'll get through and i like that - i means if we do it'll be a massive achievement!.

Serbia are quality - I prefer the euro style they play over Ghana so i'd have them a no 2. Ghana and us would be close to par. I don't think our structure is a good without Gus, but still think we're probably defensively better than 06. The midfield needs more time together. And IMO McDonald is key. We need to figure out how to use him up front by June - if not there's too much pressure on Kennedy to hold the front thus our only goals coming from midfield. McDonald is a pure finisher, Pim needs to use him.

It'll be good!

poidda
7th December 2009, 03:05 PM
Check your dates

Worst cut/paste ever ;)

kpac
7th December 2009, 03:16 PM
4:30 in the morn is a tough spot for audience :(
Massive shame for watching here - Even the most popular pubs will only be 1/2 full i'd imagine :(

poidda
7th December 2009, 03:18 PM
4:30 in the morn is a tough spot for audience :(
Massive shame for watching here - Even the most popular pubs will only be 1/2 full i'd imagine :(

Yeah 2 * 9:30pm kick-offs would have been gold. All well. Apparently Park Road was the place to be the last one.

kpac
7th December 2009, 03:23 PM
Australia v Ghana
Saturday, 19th June - Midnight (Sunday Morning)

This is a big night if ever i've seen one.

WTheF is Park Road? It's the middle of winter here, again not brilliant for time being outdoors - but the amber bubbles will keep us warm. Seriously excited about this one - Thinking of getting one of the new kits.

PeteyD
7th December 2009, 09:37 PM
Park Rd at Milton. Near the Brewery. Full of latte wankers during the day.

billybaub
8th December 2009, 01:45 AM
Awesome place to get a feed after a roar game though. But during the day is a bit to be desired.

Scottt
8th December 2009, 02:08 AM
Sofa king glad to be in the UK for this one. I hope we get the soap dodgers in the second round!