PDA

View Full Version : 2010 - The year SMS got his act together.

Pages : [1] 2

sms316
6th December 2009, 10:44 AM
An epiphany of sorts if you will. I took a look in the mirror this morning and don't like what I see, so I'm gonna turn this crap around.

By putting these goals down here and making a couple of large statements I'm going to look bloody stupid if I fail, so here goes;

1. I'm currently tipping the scales at close to 130kg. In the last year I've been a lazy bastard so this time next year I intend on being under 100kg. Goal is 90kg.

2. Stop drinking piss every day of the week. Make a serious effort to only touch grog no more than twice a week.

3. Get my handicap to a place where it has never been before. Lowest ever is +1.1 so this will take some doing.

My work schedule has changed now so I am only working 4 days a week. There is a floodlit driving range between work and home so I have no excuses to not hit balls once or twice over each 4 day period.

December probably isn't the greatest time to change my life, but to hell with it. When is?

Johnny Canuck
6th December 2009, 10:50 AM
If you can change in December, the rest will be easy!

Good luck with it. By drinking less grog and going on the odd jog, I was able to drop over 4 kilos in the past 3 weeks and I don't even have much to lose. You should have no problem with this.

Ferrins
6th December 2009, 10:56 AM
I want to put on weight, drink more beer and get back out to B grade.

Courty
6th December 2009, 11:00 AM
Good luck with it, Sean. Can you share some of your motivation with me?

3oneday
6th December 2009, 11:05 AM

probably just saw some other fat bastard have a heart attack !

Good luck 8)

jaybam
6th December 2009, 11:19 AM
Didnt dc do a thread like this last year?? Something like double figures by champs. Get original mate. Oh good luck though. Hope you achive it. :)

sms316
6th December 2009, 11:23 AM
I'll send you a nudie pic of myself. Scared the shit out of me! Seriously, 100% embarrassment is motivation enough.

probably just saw some other fat bastard have a heart attack !

No.... but now that you have that in my head I'm fearing not waking up tomorrow.

Didnt dc do a thread like this last year?? Something like double figures by champs. Get original mate. Oh good luck though. Hope you achive it. :)
dc is an inspiration. What can I say?

This joint (www.mytpi.com (http://www.mytpi.com)) is my new best friend. Dwayne will be proud. :wink:

WBennett
6th December 2009, 11:35 AM
SMS - good luck on your journey.

About 5 years back I had the same epiphany. So I took a good hard look at myself, and the bride and I did the CSIRO diet. In 14 weeks I dropped from 106kgs to 89 from 2nd of January until April. Best thing I ever did.

Quitting grog is half the answer - allow yourself two beers a week. Everyone needs some sort of reward. Starting exercise is the other - go for a dedicated walk for 45 minutes a day, or a half hour run when you start to feel fitter. Try to do genuine exercise EVERY day.

Give up on takeaway food full stop.

So it means you have to be organised at home, do proper grocery shops, take your lunch to work and plan proper meals a day or two in advance. Eat as much fruit as you want - apples and bananas are far better for you than a Mars Bar.

Webster
6th December 2009, 11:38 AM
good luck fat guts.

sms316
6th December 2009, 11:44 AM
SMS - good luck on your journey.

About 5 years back I had the same epiphany. So I took a good hard look at myself, and the bride and I did the CSIRO diet. In 14 weeks I dropped from 106kgs to 89 from 2nd of January until April. Best thing I ever did.

Quitting grog is half the answer - allow yourself two beers a week. Everyone needs some sort of reward. Starting exercise is the other - go for a dedicated walk for 45 minutes a day, or a half hour run when you start to feel fitter. Try to do genuine exercise EVERY day.

Give up on takeaway food full stop.

So it means you have to be organised at home, do proper grocery shops, take your lunch to work and plan proper meals a day or two in advance. Eat as much fruit as you want - apples and bananas are far better for you than a Mars Bar.
Very good advice.

good luck fat guts.
Inspirational in your own way Jack.

virge666
6th December 2009, 11:45 AM
I will give you a hint . . .

Get admitted to hospital on a "Nil by Mouth" diet of Saline.

I lost 12kg in 6 days.

But in reality - quit the grog... and you will need some kind of exercise otherwise you will have that saggy skin, man boob look.

Good luck mate - 130kg is not a good thing.

Fishman Dan
6th December 2009, 11:50 AM
This thread is sooooo Scotttt.

sms316
6th December 2009, 11:51 AM
This thread is sooooo Scotttt.
Have I gotten carried away and abused somebody, only to say I'll never do it again?

goughy
6th December 2009, 11:59 AM
In some ways taking it off slower can be better than faster. Firstly you don't want to end up looking like a Shar Pei, gives you body a chance to recover. Secondly, getting into easy regular exercise and a change in diet without going dramatic can often mean it's easier to sustain your new weight over the long term. I've heard of plenty of people who crash dieted who put the weight back on because the way they lost the weight wasn't sustainable over the long term.

The Wesley hospital has a fantastic weight loss clinic - not exactly cheap but with lots of support from doctors etc rather than '3 hour trained sales girls'.

Fishman Dan
6th December 2009, 12:02 PM
Have I gotten carried away and abused somebody, only to say I'll never do it again?

The former, perhaps not the latter. Normal programming resumes...

sms316
6th December 2009, 12:03 PM
I won't be going the crash diet route. I want to be a better golfer, which means getting fitter.

Being fitter and weighing less are not necessarily the same thing.

ParMaster
6th December 2009, 12:33 PM
Good luck Piemaster.

;)

razaar
6th December 2009, 12:40 PM
Start ho'ing, you won't have any money for grog or food. Your clubs will be nice and shiney and that matters heaps here.

dc68
6th December 2009, 12:41 PM
Bahahahahahah Thats funny Palmy

Good luck big fella.

ParMaster
6th December 2009, 12:52 PM
Start ho'ing, you won't have any money for grog or food. Your clubs will be nice and shiney and that matters heaps here.

:mrgreen:

I don't get ho-ing. Is it an addiction Raz?

Good to know dc. :razz:

3oneday
6th December 2009, 01:46 PM

I don't get ho-ing. Is it an addiction Raz?
dunno, he seems to becoming the resident ho'ing do gooder, is no one listening to his profound swing advice so he's changed religion ???

Daves
6th December 2009, 01:58 PM
A few more rounds at Oxley (substitute any other heat bowl west brissy course as needed) in the heat plus another case of burbling belly and you will lose it in no time!

Good lucky with the mission. I shed about 20kgs this year, looking for another 10 off next year plus a much stronger core.

Eag's
6th December 2009, 02:27 PM
Good luck Shaun and keep us posted on your progress.

AndyP
6th December 2009, 02:35 PM
Good luck with your goals, SMS, and keep us up to date. There might be some helpful stuff in the 'losing weight' thread, but it's probably hard to find. I found that reporting every week kept me accountable.

Would you consider calorie counting to assist in your waist loss? I only did it for 16 weeks, but it gave me a better understanding of the good and the bad things to consume and how much energy I burn doing certain activities.

Yossarian
6th December 2009, 02:36 PM
Good luck SMS! I bereeve in you.

razaar
6th December 2009, 02:45 PM
dunno, he seems to becoming the resident ho'ing do gooder, is no one listening to his profound swing advice so he's changed religion ???
Touched a nerve have we?

ddasey
6th December 2009, 02:48 PM
Best of luck.

If you want company at the range, I am more than willing to tag along. Who knows I may learn something :-k

sms316
6th December 2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the encouragement folks.

I realised I had a serious problem last night when I broke out in a huge sweat while having sex. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but you really shouldn't get a good sweat going in less than 3 minutes.

Yossarian
6th December 2009, 03:10 PM
Almost too much information.

Do you think about Dwayne while doing it?

sms316
6th December 2009, 03:11 PM
Almost too much information.

Do you think about Dwayne while doing it?
No. Is that the problem?

Ferrins
6th December 2009, 03:13 PM
These are made for you.

Yossarian
6th December 2009, 03:14 PM
Could be. I'd say try it and get back to us but that would be too much information.

Ferrins
6th December 2009, 03:31 PM
Go Shaun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MyT6d4FWpw

Jarro
6th December 2009, 04:27 PM
Good luck Lumpy.

No more sex stories either please :smt087:smt078

3oneday
6th December 2009, 04:55 PM
Touched a nerve have we?

no, but achieved a goal, thanks 8)

sms316
6th December 2009, 05:07 PM
Good luck with your goals, SMS, and keep us up to date. There might be some helpful stuff in the 'losing weight' thread, but it's probably hard to find. I found that reporting every week kept me accountable.

Would you consider calorie counting to assist in your waist loss? I only did it for 16 weeks, but it gave me a better understanding of the good and the bad things to consume and how much energy I burn doing certain activities.
Good to hear advice from those who have transformed themselves and come out the other end better for it.

I was certainly planning on keeping a "consumption diary" anyway. Hadn't really considered reporting every week, but I was thinking every month. I certainly see enough OzGolfers on a regular basis now. If I don't keep disciplined I'll get shown up very quickly I guess which in a way was the point of this thread.

At the end of the day I'm doing this for myself and my family. I won't be of much use to my wife and daughter if I am dead by 40. If becoming a better golfer and copping less pie jokes from you guys is a by-product, then great.

razaar
6th December 2009, 05:24 PM
no, but achieved a goal, thanks 8)
my pleasure..your goals are way too low.:wink:

AndyP
6th December 2009, 05:26 PM
I was certainly planning on keeping a "consumption diary" anyway.Here is the book, I used:
http://www.calorieking.com.au/shop/item.php?product_id=79
Calories, carbs and sugars for most foods that you can think of, including pies.

Eag's
6th December 2009, 05:33 PM
Shaun I see far too many people in similar condition and age as yourself end up in hospital with all sorts of health issues.
At least you have realised you have to do something about it now, many wait until it is too late.
Good luck mate.

Minor_Threat
6th December 2009, 05:35 PM
Good luck with it SMS..

The same site that Andy P linked you to also has a great software diet diary if you are interested. http://www.calorieking.com/software/ckdietdiarywin.php (If you look around you can find magic keys to unlock the trial version ;))

You need to be very disciplined to make the most out of it. As Andy P said this tool gives you a great insight into where you are consuming your calories and how many calories certain activities burn.

3oneday
6th December 2009, 05:39 PM
Do a Daly, he can still play ;)

sms316
6th December 2009, 05:42 PM
**** that. I'm going to do it myself.

Seriously, he looks like he has AIDS.

3oneday
6th December 2009, 05:43 PM
Yep, check his root out ? Jealous ??

At least get some pants ;)

razaar
6th December 2009, 06:25 PM
As Andy and MT said its about what you shove down your throat. The book Andy mentioned is great to identify foods that are high in fats and which have to be avoided if you are to lose the fat. Just dieting alone won't do it for you, there needs to be plenty of aerobic work to get your metabolism working faster so that your body can break down fat to fatty acids and then to phospates which is converted to fuel and energy.

If you were to just diet without aerobic exercise, your body would convert carbohydrates in the diet to fatty acids etc for fuel and store any excess fatty acids as fat. If there happens to be less input of carbs to energy expended then the body will break down its lean muscle mass to fatty acids to make up the shortfall. The fat will still be there but your muscle mass will be less and you will weigh less. Lean muscle weighs more than fat.

When you exercise the fatty acids from carbohrdrates provide the fuel to carry out the exercise. The exercise protects the lean muscle mass by using fuel etc to rebuild the body in readiness for the next exercise session. It is the post exercise effect (increasing the metabolism) that burns the fat. Other ways to increase the metabolism is to have five small meals a day instead of the normal three meals with the final meal being consumed before 6.00pm. This allows 12 hours without solid foods so the body doesn't store excess energy when the body is inactive when asleep.

Also don't be too regimented with this. Every fortnight give yourself a reward in the diet for one meal and get yourself a steamer.

Dotty
6th December 2009, 06:29 PM
Since the original post seven hours ago, have you gone out for a 30-60 minute walk ?
Or just been sitting at the computer for 7 hours replying to well-wishers ? ;)

I hope it goes well, and I should do the same.

adlo
6th December 2009, 06:31 PM
Is there anything Razaar doesn't know?

I would also recommend drinking truckloads of water and using some form of probiotic or liver cleanse supplement to help detox the liver and gut. It will hurt like hell for a week or so with some bad headaches etc, but it will set you on the right track.

razaar
6th December 2009, 06:39 PM

I would also recommend drinking truckloads of water and using some form of probiotic or liver cleanse supplement to help detox the liver and gut. It will hurt like hell for a week or so with some bad headaches etc, but it will set you on the right track.
Had to learn this stuff when I did my fitness leaders quals. Also a close friend is a dietitian and helped me when I was into bodybuilding. Your comments about water intake are very important to the whole process.:)

sms316
6th December 2009, 08:51 PM
Since the original post seven hours ago, have you gone out for a 30-60 minute walk ?
Or just been sitting at the computer for 7 hours replying to well-wishers ? ;)

I hope it goes well, and I should do the same.
I was at work from 6.30am till 5.30pm. :wink:

Went for a short walk with my daughter when I got home.

Scottt
6th December 2009, 08:56 PM
I'll send you a nudie pic of myself. Scared the shit out of me! Seriously, 100% embarrassment is motivation enough.

Two mates of mine wanted to shift some lard a year or two back.

They gave each other a pic of themselves naked and the deal was that if either of them didn't reach their goal weight in time, the other could email the picture to their friends.

It was a six-month challenge and they both made goal weight, which was about 25kg lighter, with a month to spare.

LarryLong
6th December 2009, 09:01 PM
Cue Shannon Noll:

I know you're hurtin'.......

Seriously though, good luck with it. You'll feel like a million bucks if you do it on your own without gimmicks, fad diets or wanker personal trainers.

My advice is to avoid buying drinks when you buy food, especially the fizzy stuff, and to get up early and see if you can play nine holes inside an hour once a week.

sms316
6th December 2009, 09:01 PM
Two mates of mine wanted to shift some lard a year or two back.

They gave each other a pic of themselves naked and the deal was that if either of them didn't reach their goal weight in time, the other could email the picture to their friends.

It was a six-month challenge and they both made goal weight, which was about 25kg lighter, with a month to spare.

Sounds effective. If I don't get there I might nude up in my avatar.

3oneday
6th December 2009, 09:06 PM
Oh goody.

Johnny Canuck
6th December 2009, 09:08 PM
Oh goody.

My thoughts exactly.

How are we supposed to encourage and support with the lingering fear that we could end up scarred for life?

ParMaster
6th December 2009, 09:09 PM
Jeez that would be embarassing to lose that bet!

ParMaster
6th December 2009, 09:10 PM
How are we supposed to encourage and support with the lingering fear that we could end up scarred for life?

:lol::lol:

Ha! :wink:

sms316
6th December 2009, 09:12 PM
My thoughts exactly.

It might sort Ziggy out.

:twisted:

Ned
6th December 2009, 09:32 PM
Hey Mudguts, do you have a weight loss amount over a period of time ?:mrgreen:

If yes how much would you like to loose by the 6th February 2010 ?:-k

zigwah
6th December 2009, 09:39 PM
It might sort Ziggy out.

I was in the navy man, you might be a lot prettier than some of the arses i've seen :twisted:

Bruce
6th December 2009, 09:47 PM
Good luck mate. I hope you make it work.

Change your mindset - change your life.

Lucasto23
6th December 2009, 09:56 PM
good on yah mate, I might have to join you on this quest in the new year and shed 20kg myself. I will make sure i check up on you once a month with a round of golf and no fizzy drinks post round ;)

Jarro
6th December 2009, 10:05 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b2/Meat_pie.jpg/800px-Meat_pie.jpg

Jarro
6th December 2009, 10:07 PM
http://www.henryjacksonsociety.org/henryjacksonsociety/hjsuserfiles/beer.jpg

Iain
6th December 2009, 10:16 PM
Good luck sms.

Like the others said, preperation and planning is the key.

Tongueboy
7th December 2009, 12:46 AM
did Dennis send you best wishes on your future reduction?

all the best with it....some hard work ahead

sms316
7th December 2009, 07:24 AM
Hey Mudguts, do you have a weight loss amount over a period of time ?:mrgreen:

If yes how much would you like to loose by the 6th February 2010 ?:-k

Haven't really considered it. 9 weeks away (but one week for Christmas). I would think 12kg by then wouldn't be out of the question.

Weighed in at 125kg which was somewhat of a surprise. Would be nice to get near 110kg by Wynnum.

henno
7th December 2009, 08:13 AM
I would say don't worry about how quick you're losing it as long as you're losing it. Too many people jump off the wagon simply because they're not losing it fast enough. That logic is completely lost on me, because even if you are losing it slowly how is giving up and putting it back on any better?

Also, eat often and in smaller amounts. Always eat brekky without exception, and don't eat anything after 7:30pm or within a couple of hours of going to bed.

Good luck!

3oneday
7th December 2009, 09:47 AM
Is it just beer that is the problem ? I'm trying to understand how someone who plays golf regularly weighs 125kg :confused:

razaar
7th December 2009, 09:48 AM
Big heavy bones.

3oneday
7th December 2009, 09:49 AM
Well, dieting won't help as much as amputation ;)

sms316
7th December 2009, 09:57 AM
Is it just beer that is the problem ? I'm trying to understand how someone who plays golf regularly weighs 125kg :confused:
A diet that is disgracefull in every sense of the word.

Too much alcohol, too much food purchased through a window. Bad habits crept in and became the norm.

Quite frankly, I'm embarrassed at what I have become.

Johnny Canuck
7th December 2009, 10:05 AM
It's good that you have such a negative view of yourself at the moment, it will help you stick to your plans.

Don't take the negativity too far though. Recognise that you have identified the problem and that you are committed to fixing it and becoming a better/smaller person.

WBennett
7th December 2009, 10:28 AM
SMS

A couple of other things I found useful were taking a few before measurements.

Before I started, we took waist, guts, manboobs. I weighed myself every Monday morning - same time, same point in the week every week.

Every month we measured the three measurements again, and although some weeks I lost no weight, I had changed my body composition and lost centremetres off the measurements.

You have my email address, give me a yell if you want any advice or support.

Tomo
7th December 2009, 02:46 PM
Im not convinced beer is the culprit.

I drink way more than my share and am a big bloke ....125kgs too.

I did Dry July where I did not touch a drop all month. 12.01 on the 1st of August I smashed it though.

During July, I lost 1kg........

Scottt
7th December 2009, 02:56 PM

A Queenslander?

sms316
7th December 2009, 03:07 PM
I might live north of the border but I am not a Queenslander.

Iain
7th December 2009, 03:35 PM
Thank **** for that....

razaar
7th December 2009, 04:06 PM
Go the Raiders...

ddasey
7th December 2009, 05:21 PM

Homosexual ??? :twisted:

sms316
7th December 2009, 05:25 PM

This post was on the money. Have drunk over 3 litres of water today. Apart from the obvious side-effect of visiting the facilities every 15 minutes I have got the mother of all headaches.

Jarro
7th December 2009, 05:30 PM
This post was on the money. Have drunk over 3 litres of water today. Apart from the obvious side-effect of visiting the facilities every 15 minutes I have got the mother of all headaches.

Just you wait till you give up the pies :shock:

sms316
7th December 2009, 05:34 PM
Finally, I'll respond...

I DON'T EAT ****ING PIES

Jarro
7th December 2009, 05:36 PM
sure you don't

Eag's
7th December 2009, 05:36 PM
Well not anymore :lol:

goughy
7th December 2009, 05:37 PM
I've heard that those detox things are a waste of time. That the liver, kidneys etc etc are great at doing what they are spose to as long as you feed them the right things. So the lots of water and healthy eating is more effective as any detox program.

Makes sense to me since those detox programs just sound blech.

jaybam
7th December 2009, 05:58 PM
Finally, I'll respond...

I DON'T EAT ****ING PIES
No you eat meat pies?????

Jarro
7th December 2009, 06:02 PM
Buy yourself a smaller pair of shorts and make it your mission to fit into them.

henno
7th December 2009, 06:04 PM
Buy yourself a smaller pair of shorts and make it your mission to fit into them.

That's not a bad idea, actually.

sms316
7th December 2009, 06:05 PM
There is a pair of kermit green shorts in the shop at RQ waiting to be bought.

AndyP
7th December 2009, 06:06 PM
It works. It also lets me know when I've started to slip again.

Jarro
7th December 2009, 06:07 PM
There is a pair of kermit green shorts in the shop at RQ waiting to be bought.

Get them, and make it your goal to fit into them sometime down the track.

Don't get bogged down with the numbers on the scales, use your waist measurement as your guide to good health.

Daves
7th December 2009, 06:43 PM

Lots of water is good, keep it up!. Fills you up, helps you body burn fuel, cleanses etc etc.

A hint for weigh ins, do it at the same time each day/week. Best is when you first get up and have emptied your bladder etc. Your weight can vary a couple of kilos during the day, you are usually lightest when you first get up and have had a leak etc.

Dotty
7th December 2009, 07:07 PM
Cereal and juice for brekkie.
Cup of black coffee for MT.
Couple of sushi rolls for lunch (and NO COCA-COLA!).
Carrot and apple for AT.
About to have grilled potatoes, yoghurt and pineapple/melons for dinner.

You got me started, poster-formerly-nicknamed-Lumpy. Thank you.

Tomorrow's improvement? Apple and carrot at MT.

Grunt
7th December 2009, 07:16 PM
Pity you are not down here I could become your PT and get you out paddling. Would get the pounds off quick smart.

You have the pool at your beck and call, use it for some decent spells in it. Might be hard with the little one wanting to join you though.

haysey
7th December 2009, 07:39 PM
Get them, and make it your goal to fit into them sometime down the track.

Don't get bogged down with the numbers on the scales, use your waist measurement as your guide to good health.

This is working for me. I've come in 3 belt holes in the last 6 months. No idea how much weight I've lost:roll:

Yossarian
7th December 2009, 08:13 PM
I have the exact opposite problem. How do you put on weight?

LarryLong
7th December 2009, 08:25 PM
I've heard that those detox things are a waste of time. That the liver, kidneys etc etc are great at doing what they are spose to as long as you feed them the right things. So the lots of water and healthy eating is more effective as any detox program.

Makes sense to me since those detox programs just sound blech.

My missus put us on a detox diet a year or two back. I lost 5 kilos in two months and I'm quite scrawny to start with. Wouldn't recommend it though, it was a pain in the arse finding food that didn't have sugar, dairy, or oil of some sort in it. Black tea with honey every day. Blech indeed.

I reckon you can get the same sort of outcome with a balanced diet in the long run.

Dotty
7th December 2009, 08:40 PM
Stop throwing up your dinner into wardrobes would be a good start. :twisted:

Yossarian
7th December 2009, 08:41 PM

Game, set and match to Dotty. :lol:

razaar
7th December 2009, 08:42 PM
Work your butt off in the gym and eat lots of carbs and protein and get plenty of sleep.

Sydney Hacker
7th December 2009, 08:43 PM
Work your butt off in the gym and eat lots of carbs and protein and get plenty of sleep.

Or wait until you are out of puberty and your body slows down... then the weight will find you !

Yossarian
7th December 2009, 08:45 PM
Puberty should be over by 23?:cry:

:lol:

Scottt
7th December 2009, 09:48 PM

Link to whatever I missed?

That made me LOL even noit knowing WTF the in-joke is! :lol:

Dotty
7th December 2009, 09:57 PM
Inaugural WA Champs, early November.

It's a WA thread, so the post weekend wrap-up starts on page 30.

Yossarian
7th December 2009, 10:03 PM
Yeah its around there somewhere.

I may or may not have had upchuck relations with that walk in robe.

Good times.

markTHEblake
9th December 2009, 01:30 AM
Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but you really shouldn't get a good sweat going in less than 3 minutes.

Especially when you are lying on your back!

I have never met a fat old guy, I hope thats encouragement enough for ya.

sms316
9th December 2009, 06:28 AM
Especially when you are lying on your back!

I have never met a fat old guy, I hope thats encouragement enough for ya.
True.

I jumped on the scales this morning just to see if things were moving in the right direction and they are. Nice to get some positive reinforcement straight away. From here on, I'll only take a look once a week.

3oneday
9th December 2009, 07:16 AM
Tigers porn star would be good for a few kilos ;)

tg01
11th December 2009, 07:24 PM
Have you thought about cancer? Sure fire way of losing wieght. And fast!

Dotty
11th December 2009, 07:30 PM
Have you thought about cancer? Sure fire way of losing wieght. And fast!
Thank you, Kyle Sandilands.

Johnny Canuck
11th December 2009, 10:08 PM
True.

I jumped on the scales this morning just to see if things were moving in the right direction and they are. Nice to get some positive reinforcement straight away. From here on, I'll only take a look once a week.

Are you that fat that you are using two to weigh yourself? One for each foot?

Keep up the good work & stay strong.

f00re
12th December 2009, 11:27 PM
Hey SMS, good luck with the weight loss, aldo and daves are correct. Lots of water will clean the shit out! I find the cross trainer at the gym good for getting your heart rate up. get it between 120-140 and that will burn the fat fast.
cheers

sms316
14th December 2009, 12:15 PM
One week down since I decided to change for the better.

Down to 120kg. Lost 5kg (4%).

Obviously things will taper at some point, but while I am capable of results like this I'm going to take it. Stayed off the grog with the exception of 6 Coronas over Friday/Saturday.

Off to a good start this week. Just burned over 1000 calories on the treadmill over a 60 minute session. Days off to myself with no wife/daughter in the house make sessions like that a lot more possible. Going to attempt to better it tomorrow.

henno
14th December 2009, 12:21 PM
Good work. Just don't get disheartened when that sort of rate doesn't continue. 1kg per week is heaps of weight, and I would even say 500g per week is more than plenty. That's 25kg per year.

sms316
14th December 2009, 12:25 PM
Good work. Just don't get disheartened when that sort of rate doesn't continue. 1kg per week is heaps of weight, and I would even say 500g per week is more than plenty. That's 25kg per year.
I'm aiming for 25kg by April. Tough, but doable. First goal is 15kg before Wynnum. I'll donate $50 to the forum if I don't get there.

I've managed to keep my calorie intake to under 1300cal per day. Have been drinking well over 3 litres of water a day.

Eag's
14th December 2009, 12:46 PM
Great start Shaun :smt023

Jarro
14th December 2009, 01:58 PM
Nice work fatboy :)

3oneday
14th December 2009, 02:39 PM
Well done pie_man.

Iain
14th December 2009, 03:33 PM
:lol:

jaybam
14th December 2009, 04:57 PM
wtg keep up the hard yakka.

Hux
14th December 2009, 10:20 PM

Wrong

razaar
14th December 2009, 10:57 PM
Wrong
Again.

3oneday
14th December 2009, 11:13 PM
But we still love you.

Johnny Canuck
14th December 2009, 11:14 PM
You eating breakfast and 6 small meals?

3oneday
14th December 2009, 11:14 PM
6 breakfast sounds better ;) hmmm, sausage and egg McMuffin 8)

markTHEblake
14th December 2009, 11:52 PM
SMS, you will be wanting to borrow some of my old shorts soon, i have some 34's here that i just cant wear anymore.

Johnny Canuck
15th December 2009, 12:23 AM
6 breakfast sounds better ;) hmmm, sausage and egg McMuffin 8)

:smt038

sms316
21st December 2009, 06:46 AM
Two weeks down. Lost another 2kg.

Down to 118kg. Lost 7kg (5.6%).

Making progress. In a way I am disappointed with the result, but 2 kegs is 2 less I need to worry about. I've also done some damage to my left heel. Hopefully it is just bruising from going for a road run the other day. Think I will stick to the treadmill.

Bruce
21st December 2009, 07:48 AM
Two weeks down. Lost another 2kg.

Down to 118kg. Lost 7kg (5.6%).

Making progress. In a way I am disappointed with the result, but 2 kegs is 2 less I need to worry about. I've also done some damage to my left heel. Hopefully it is just bruising from going for a road run the other day. Think I will stick to the treadmill.

This needs a 'like' button like on Facebook.

Eag's
21st December 2009, 09:53 AM
Nice work Shaun, 7kg is good work in 2 weeks. I have trouble running on anything, but a treadmill, my knees usually swell (due to my footy days) up if I go for a run on the bitumen.

morgy
22nd December 2009, 09:44 AM
Well done mate. If I can add anything in terms of advice it would be to use the Calorie King diary, a couple of the boys have already linked it. It's not a fad thing, just helps you keep track. 40% Carbs 40% Protein and 20% Fat is a good break down for weight loss. You can put your exercise in there to and it will calculate your net cals. I've lost 10kgs in 3 weeks and my brother has lost about 32kgs over 3 months using it.

A good whey protein isolate will go a long way to helping too, and they taste awesome with light milk and fruit.

That being said, everyone is different so just do what feels best. 7kgs in two weeks is an awesome result!

markTHEblake
22nd December 2009, 11:59 AM
Hopefully it is just bruising from going for a road run the other day. Think I will stick to the treadmill.

Lot of downward pressure on that heel.

The good news is, should get easier on the heels the longer you go!

sms316
22nd December 2009, 04:11 PM
Strangely, today is the first time I can think of where heat has got the better of me. This could be due to poor diet today though. Didn't eat enough for breakfast.

Certainly kept my fluids up. I'd say I've drunk about 5 litres of water today, plus a Gatorade after 9 holes (yes, I know Gatorade isn't great for you, but I needed some form of kick).

Yossarian
22nd December 2009, 04:13 PM
What did you have for brekky?

sms316
22nd December 2009, 04:14 PM
A cup of black tea and 2 rice cakes. Wasn't hungry and had to force myself to have that.

WBennett
22nd December 2009, 04:15 PM
Dickhead. Brekky is the most important meal of the day. Weet bix, skim milk and fruit is the way to go.

sms316
22nd December 2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks, scoop.

WBennett
22nd December 2009, 04:23 PM
Any time.

Just trying to help.

;)

Jarro
22nd December 2009, 04:38 PM
Lots of water too Lumpy .... it'll help stop the hunger pains and clean all the junk out of your liver/kidneys etc.

Water is vital.

Eag's
22nd December 2009, 04:40 PM
Strangely, today is the first time I can think of where heat has got the better of me. This could be due to poor diet today though. Didn't eat enough for breakfast.

Certainly kept my fluids up. I'd say I've drunk about 5 litres of water today, plus a Gatorade after 9 holes (yes, I know Gatorade isn't great for you, but I needed some form of kick).

It will be just as hot on Thur mate :(

sms316
22nd December 2009, 04:44 PM

Lots of water too Lumpy .... it'll help stop the hunger pains and clean all the junk out of your liver/kidneys etc.

Water is vital.
8-)

Daves
22nd December 2009, 05:02 PM
Should'a stopped for a pie half way round:mrgreen:

Get one of those 2.5l Willow water coolers as we discussed. Plenty of water is good!

I always carry some fruit in my bag cooler pocket along with a couple of bottles of half frozen Staminade. Mostly bananas, as they are high in Potassium which is supposed to help you stay alert and the sugar gives you a real energy kick;

http://www.rawplus.com/banana.html

If you don't like bananas then seasonal fruit would be another option; apples, stone fruit, mandarins etc.

I also usually have a couple of mini choc bars (20gr) for an energy kick in need. I rarely have lunch when I play. I have a good plate of cereal for breaky.

The Staminade I make up my self, you can buy the concentrate very cheaply, costs about 50c a bottle to make up.

We would have had to have sweated off a kilo today!

sms316
22nd December 2009, 06:15 PM
I won't be making the same mistake again. I was very poorly prepare for today's round. No wonder I feel like I have a hangover right now.

Jarro
22nd December 2009, 06:27 PM
Softcock

Dennis
22nd December 2009, 06:35 PM
Saddest thread ever

If you want the world to take pity on you fat man, post on the Oprah forum

AndyP
22nd December 2009, 06:38 PM
I'd argue, but it's yet another troll post from you directed at SMS, Dennis.
Time for a new obsession.

Yossarian
22nd December 2009, 07:32 PM
Are dennis/pyongyang/whatever and sms actually mates? Or mortal enemies?

henno
22nd December 2009, 07:33 PM
They have a cracker of a time whenever they're together.

WBennett
22nd December 2009, 07:33 PM
Ghey lovers.

jaybam
22nd December 2009, 07:36 PM
You would have to say they are bestest friends after reading the love

Yossarian
22nd December 2009, 07:36 PM
Ah so he was the guy that got firecrackered.

markTHEblake
22nd December 2009, 07:38 PM
Saddest thread ever forum

Clearly you are owned. Time to get over it.

razaar
22nd December 2009, 08:30 PM
I won't be making the same mistake again. I was very poorly prepare for today's round. No wonder I feel like I have a hangover right now.
You and Jono should compare notes on not what to do and what to do on SE Qld golf courses during December.

Webster
22nd December 2009, 08:45 PM
fatguts you should have had a few Jimmy cans during the round to keep you moist. Good luck with it all. Love Jack.

PS. those shoes are superb.

markTHEblake
22nd December 2009, 09:51 PM
A sports supplement drink in a 2 litre bottle, refilled after 9 holes, (pharmaceutical grade not crap like staminade, or any of those retail sugar overdoses), 2 oranges cut in quarters and have one every 2nd hole, and one of those cooly things around your neck and you will not notice the heat.

henno
22nd December 2009, 09:57 PM
You will, however, look terribly gay with your neck cooler, "half-time for the Under 8's" oranges and Tony Ferguson sports drink.

markTHEblake
22nd December 2009, 10:00 PM
Yeah, but the guy next to me on the driving range in pink shorts and pink shirt looked much gayer

Scottt
22nd December 2009, 10:00 PM
:lol: If I had read that post above Henno's without reading the username first, I would have known who owned it without missing as beat.

henno
22nd December 2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah, but the guy next to me on the driving range in pink shorts and pink shirt looked much gayer

Touché.

Johnny Canuck
23rd December 2009, 12:59 AM
You will, however, look terribly gay with your neck cooler, "half-time for the Under 8's" oranges and Tony Ferguson sports drink.

Hopefully SMS doesn't use iron covers.

razaar
23rd December 2009, 06:38 AM
Do they make covers for lefties?:wink:

sms316
23rd December 2009, 06:50 AM
No left handed iron covers. Of course, we are all extremely heterosexual though.

Jarro
28th December 2009, 08:52 AM
So how are the scales looking after Christmas Lumpy ?

You'd be a good man to have lost a bit over the last few days.

sms316
28th December 2009, 08:52 AM
Three weeks down. Lost another 2kg.

Down to 116kg. Lost 9kg (7.2%).

Losing 2kg in Christmas week is a bonus. Although I really didn't go nuts on Christmas Day by any stretch. Drank 6 Coronas and lunch consisted of a bbq steak sandwich and salad.

That is now the equal of 3 bags of oranges which I no longer have to carry around.

Eag's
28th December 2009, 08:56 AM
Top stuff Shaun you're on a roll now :smt038

sms316
28th December 2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks Rich. There were a pair of shorts mentioned earlier in this thread which I had my eye on. Tried them on yesterday and they fitted perfectly. Size 102. Kermit green.

ddasey
28th December 2009, 09:19 AM
I was going to say well done big fella. But I might just have to leave it a well done. :smt038

Iain
28th December 2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks Rich. There were a pair of shorts mentioned earlier in this thread which I had my eye on. Tried them on yesterday and they fitted perfectly. Size 102. Kermit green.

Holy Crap!!! I used to wear 102 pants!! :shock:

sms316
28th December 2009, 09:32 AM
You would wear about size 72 now though!

Iain
28th December 2009, 09:34 AM
32" now.

Jarro
28th December 2009, 09:36 AM

Holy Crap!!! I used to wear 102 pants!! :shock:

Well you always said you wanted to get into Iains pants

sms316
28th December 2009, 09:39 AM
Think I'll pass (not that Iain wouldn't be a good catch if one was that way inclined).

Webster
28th December 2009, 09:42 AM
Nice going lard ass. Keep up the good work. I'm gonna post you a new porno for every 10kg's you lose.

sms316
28th December 2009, 09:43 AM
Speaking of which, did you enjoy that email yesterday?

Webster
28th December 2009, 09:45 AM
haven't looked yet as a window of opportunity has not presented itself.

Jarro
28th December 2009, 10:01 AM
Speaking of which, did you enjoy that email yesterday?

yeah, not bad :roll:

Iain
28th December 2009, 10:02 AM
Well you always said you wanted to get into Iains pants

Sorry sweetie, he's not my type....

razaar
3rd January 2010, 09:01 AM
Any update on progress so far, big fella?

sms316
3rd January 2010, 09:10 AM
I was a fat prick.

Just not quite as fat anymore. Jumped on the scales this morning at 114kg, so that is an 11kg loss so far. 2 belt buckles.

Heading back to Canberra/Albury in a fortnight. If I don't get under 110kg by then it won't be for lack of effort.

Scottt
3rd January 2010, 09:22 AM
Gotta thank you for this thread, SMS.

Reading the OP when you posted it, I saw a bit of myself in there, so got back into a daily visit to the work gym on my break or after I finish.

It's funny, I forgot how much I love working out, dunno how I really fell off the wagon. I blame cold, rain and snow.

Been at it pretty regularly since Dec 8 and have lost 5cm off the waist.

Heading home for an unexpected last-minute visit on Jan 23, so I'm going hard now on the weights and cardio so when I walk through the arrivals gate, my family sees the best Scottt possible.

So thanks for inadvertantly giving me the kick in the pants I needed.

Gotta say, too, after the last month of core work and weights my golf swing felt a lot more solid today, and the slimmer waist made the body turn a bit easier too.

sms316
3rd January 2010, 09:22 AM
As far as golf goes, I had a lesson from Chris Chaplin on Thursday. Without a shadow of a doubt he is the best golf coach I have ever had lessons off (I've had 4 lessons with him now).

He has made some significant changes, and the most recent of which is probably the culmination of the other 3 lessons.

To cut it short we have been working on me swinging "around my body" for lack of a better term. My action has always involved me blocking the ball to a degree, which I guess stems from being a happy hooker in my younger days. We have worked on me releasing through impact which has taken a lot of effort on my part to trust myself to not hit shap-hooks.

The lesson on Thursday was about maintaining my form through impact. I've had a tendancy to straighten my legs throughout my swing. Back in the first lesson we stopped my back leg straightening in the backswing, and now we are working of maintaining form through impact. Keeping my arse pointing out through impact is a lot harder than I ever thought it would be. Thankfully, getting fitter is making this easier.

The other thing we have worked on is my short game. Chaps described my pitching and chipping as "something which resembled a 27 marker" and I couldn't argue. Thankfully, this is coming together, and we have worked of making my angle of attack much shallower, by turing my shoulders rather than rocking them. Again, losing weight can only help my short game.

As far as putting goes, we are working on the Steve Stricker method of straight back/straight through. This method feels quite natural to me and I find it much easier to hit putts on the correct line. My eyes are staying outside the ball, and I have made a conscious effort to bridge my neck to do this. I picked up a putting mirror the other day which makes pracicing this method quite simple.

sms316
3rd January 2010, 09:27 AM
Gotta thank you for this thread, SMS.

Reading the OP when you posted it, I saw a bit of myself in there, so got back into a daily visit to the work gym on my break or after I finish.

It's funny, I forgot how much I love working out, dunno how I really fell off the wagon. I blame cold, rain and snow.

Been at it pretty regularly since Dec 8 and have got the body fat % back under 25% from 27 and have lost 5cm off the waist.

Heading home for an unexpected last-minute visit on Jan 23, so I'm going hard now on the weights and cardio so when I walk through the arrivals gate, my family sees the best Scottt possible.

So thanks for inadvertantly giving me the kick in the pants I needed.

Gotta say, too, after the last month of core work and weights my golf swing felt a lot more solid today, and the slimmer waist made the body turn a bit easier too.
Not difficult for bad habits to become routine eh? And there is nothing like the motivation of seeing family which you haven't seen in a while to get you doing something about it. :mrgreen:

Webster
3rd January 2010, 09:40 AM
sms, eyes beyond the line of the ball when putting? Surely not?

sms316
3rd January 2010, 09:44 AM
sms, eyes beyond the line of the ball when putting? Surely not?
Try it. It only works when you are upright and keeping everything square throughout the stroke. My putting from close range (4-10ft) has improved significantly.

Webster
3rd January 2010, 09:51 AM
no thanks, it's a recipe for disaster.

razaar
3rd January 2010, 01:36 PM
SMS nailed everything when I played with him last. I didn't see his head outside the ball though, it probably feels that it is but it isn't. He had his forehead and chin on the same level as the green, which is much more inportant IMO; and he accelerated through the ball, which wasn't there the previous game we had.

You are right Shaun about Chris, I have half heard many of his lessons when I was practicing there and he is a great teacher.

zigwah
3rd January 2010, 02:32 PM
The reason you feel like the heat is getting to you, is that your metabolisim is starting to wake from it's slumber. hot is good

Hux
3rd January 2010, 05:41 PM
Where does Chris Chaplin work Shaun?

sms316
3rd January 2010, 05:42 PM
Keperra & also The Big Easy (Carseldine) on Wednesday afternoons.

Jarro
3rd January 2010, 09:57 PM
As far as golf goes, I had a lesson from Chris Chaplin on Thursday. Without a shadow of a doubt he is the best golf coach I have ever had lessons off (I've had 4 lessons with him now).

He has made some significant changes, and the most recent of which is probably the culmination of the other 3 lessons.

To cut it short we have been working on me swinging "around my body" for lack of a better term. My action has always involved me blocking the ball to a degree, which I guess stems from being a happy hooker in my younger days. We have worked on me releasing through impact which has taken a lot of effort on my part to trust myself to not hit shap-hooks.

The lesson on Thursday was about maintaining my form through impact. I've had a tendancy to straighten my legs throughout my swing. Back in the first lesson we stopped my back leg straightening in the backswing, and now we are working of maintaining form through impact. Keeping my arse pointing out through impact is a lot harder than I ever thought it would be. Thankfully, getting fitter is making this easier.

The other thing we have worked on is my short game. Chaps described my pitching and chipping as "something which resembled a 27 marker" and I couldn't argue. Thankfully, this is coming together, and we have worked of making my angle of attack much shallower, by turing my shoulders rather than rocking them. Again, losing weight can only help my short game.

As far as putting goes, we are working on the Steve Stricker method of straight back/straight through. This method feels quite natural to me and I find it much easier to hit putts on the correct line. My eyes are staying outside the ball, and I have made a conscious effort to bridge my neck to do this. I picked up a putting mirror the other day which makes pracicing this method quite simple.

Good to hear that you're getting some good results with Chris.

A lot of people at Nudgee wereen't really that impressed with his coaching.

TheTrueReview
3rd January 2010, 10:21 PM
Good to hear that you're getting some good results with Chris.

A lot of people at Nudgee wereen't really that impressed with his coaching.

Was it the actual coaching or something else?

Jarro
3rd January 2010, 10:23 PM

As far as i could gather it was the actual coaching.

Chris is a nice bloke as far as i know

sms316
4th January 2010, 08:57 AM
As far as i could gather it was the actual coaching.

Chris is a nice bloke as far as i know
There isn't a teacher on the planet who impresses everyone.

He has an understanding of the swing which I have never seen before. He is extremely knowledgable, and passes that knowledge across in a manner which works for me.

Bruce
4th January 2010, 09:19 AM
He has an understanding of the swing which I have never seen before. He is extremely knowledgable, and passes that knowledge across in a manner which works for me.

I feel the same way about Willow - which is why I have been improving heaps and keep going back. Not sure everyone would like him- but it is working for us.

just
4th January 2010, 09:31 AM
I had some lessons with Chris when he was at Nudgee and he is a very nice bloke, no problems there.

For someone like me, a chopper, the problem I found, and I heard the same from others, is that he would point something out, make a change, with minimal explanation and then start talking about his latest trip to China, and you weren't really sure he was paying attention to you or your swing. I'm sure he knows his stuff and it would work for some, but it just didn't work for me.

Jarro
4th January 2010, 10:34 AM
I had some lessons with Chris when he was at Nudgee and he is a very nice bloke, no problems there.

For someone like me, a chopper, the problem I found, and I heard the same from others, is that he would point something out, make a change, with minimal explanation and then start talking about his latest trip to China, and you weren't really sure he was paying attention to you or your swing. I'm sure he knows his stuff and it would work for some, but it just didn't work for me.

Same for me just.

I agree that he knows his stuff, but for some he has a hard time conveying this knowledge.

sms316
11th January 2010, 08:30 PM
Forgot about my Monday duty.

Now down to 112kg. A loss of 13kg (10.4%). Next goal is to get to 110kg by Friday. Walked 18 holes this morning and did a tready session this arvo. 2 sessions a day for the rest of the week will hopefully get me there.

Living the bachelor life this week, which has been fun. For one reason or another, Mel is quite restricted on what she can eat so I end up just eating what she does. Having a field day cooking whatever I want so far.

Eag's
11th January 2010, 09:20 PM
You keep going at this rate and you will be down to my weight in no time. :shock:
Only 19 more kg and you will have the right to call me a fat prick ;)

Yossarian
11th January 2010, 11:32 PM
I like buffed elderly gentleman admirers.

tg01
22nd January 2010, 07:14 AM
Imagine the weight you would of dropped in gaol, after you couldn't come up with the cash....

sms316
22nd January 2010, 08:26 AM
Dunno what you are talking about, cunny funt.

WBennett
22nd January 2010, 08:29 AM
Absolute Gold! SMS = owned

ParMaster
22nd January 2010, 09:05 AM
Very well done Shaun. Keep us updated!

tg01
22nd January 2010, 07:41 PM
Dunno what you are talking about, cunny funt.

Don't make me let everyone know that you chose option 2.....

ParMaster
31st January 2010, 07:50 PM
This weight lost yet ?

DracZ
6th February 2010, 11:14 AM
Now down to 112kg. A loss of 13kg (10.4%). Next goal is to get to 110kg by Friday.

If your losing 2kg a week, that's not exactly healthy. If you are losing weight that rapidly, its definitely not just bodyfat.

ParMaster
6th February 2010, 01:39 PM
His body will 'plateau' out soon enough.

Soooo Shaun, how are you going with your weight?

DracZ
6th February 2010, 05:32 PM
sms316 : Whats your current height / weight / bodyfat percentage vs your starting figures?
Caloric intake per day?

Couple of reasons why I'm asking:

1. Most people are too obsessed with total weight loss, as opposed to total fat loss which should be the real objective.

2. In this attempt to lose overall weight, they place themselves on a severely limited diet not taking into account what the body needs (taking into account resting MBR etc) in order to prevent lean muscle mass loss.

3. Lean muscle mass is the main contributor to increasing one's resting MBR - total number of calories burnt by just sitting there. If you increase your lean muscle mass, you increase your resting MBR, and increase the rate at which you can burn calories even sans exercise. This and in addition to the obvious benefits of you being stronger and more capable of performing more strenuous and taxing exercises which will in turn, again, help you burn more calories.

4. You do need to be at a caloric deficit in order to lose the fat, however you still need to maintain a certain amount of intake caloric wise (you can obtain this using a basic caloric requirement calculator). Placing yourself at a severe deficiency will simply force your body into starvation mode since its not getting what it needs. The effect of this is two-fold. Your resting MBR decreases since your body is trying to conserve energy, and you encounter lean muscle mass loss since thats exactly what is consuming the largest percentage of energy.

5. If you should come off this diet, the effect will be a net loss in lean muscle mass, and gaining back the weight you had previously, this time increasing your BF% even more. Making your job even harder next time since you have an even lower resting MBR to help you along.

sms316
6th February 2010, 06:00 PM
His body will 'plateau' out soon enough.

Soooo Shaun, how are you going with your weight?
Nothing has changed for a few weeks. I'm on a bit of a hiatus for a few weeks. Regular programming recommences on Wed 17/2. When I say I am on a hiatus, I mean have not been strict on diet (but haven't gone out of my way to eat crap) and haven't done much exercise at all.

sms316
6th February 2010, 06:05 PM
sms316 : Whats your current height / weight / bodyfat percentage vs your starting figures?
Caloric intake per day?

No idea about my body fat. Weight was 125kg to start with. Now 110kg.

Calories - about 1200 per day. Hardly starving myself though. A standard day is a low-fat smoothie for breakfast. Perhaps a skinny coffee. A salad sandwich for lunch, and then grilled meat and salad for dinner.

Going to the gym or having a treadmill session for a minimum of 30 mins at least 6 days per week. Typical calorie burn 600 cal plus.

I am losing weight because I'm working bloody hard. Not because I am starving myself.

DracZ
6th February 2010, 07:04 PM
You need to have at least a ballpark figure of what your BF% is in order to ascertain your maintenance calorie intake, then work out the percentage of calories you need to shave off that total in order to promote fat loss whilst preventing lean muscle mass loss.

To give you an idea - a 6 foot, 80kg male @ 15%BF needs roughly 2700 calories per day to maintain that weight. To lose a pound (~500grams) per week, you need have a caloric deficit of 3500 calories per week from your total. For the example, that would be 2700-(3500/7)=2200.

This is measured through lean muscle mass only - at 110kg I would think your lean muscle mass would be similar to the example, or even greater. Right now your intake is 1000 calories less per day than what is recommended to maintain healthy weight loss. I'm not discounting the effort you've taken to get to this stage, seriously kudos - but if you want to do this most efficiently, you need to take the numbers into consideration.

Also unless your running a 4.5 minute/km pace on the treadmill for 60 minutes, you aren't burning 1000 calories in one session. To be safe you should be underestimating the calories you burn through exercise, not overestimating.

To start - you need to get your facts down pat. Go see someone qualified to measure your current lean muscle mass / BF%, calculate your needed caloric intake, write up a specific meal plan with a specific macro nutrient ratio and stick to it. Write all this things up - post it in the thread, it'll help you keep on track. Your current weight should be the last thing on each post, not the only thing.

Hope that helps mate

No idea about my body fat. Weight was 125kg to start with. Now 110kg.

Calories - about 1200 per day. Hardly starving myself though. A standard day is a low-fat smoothie for breakfast. Perhaps a skinny coffee. A salad sandwich for lunch, and then grilled meat and salad for dinner.

Going to the gym or having a treadmill session for a minimum of 30 mins at least 6 days per week. Typical calorie burn 600 cal plus.

I am losing weight because I'm working bloody hard. Not because I am starving myself.

ParMaster
7th February 2010, 06:13 PM
Good work Shaun!

Also I highly suggest you start skipping. I've been skipping for 2 months now and can regularly get up to 200 without too much hassle. It's great cardio and burns a lot of fat at the same time.

Ferrins
7th February 2010, 06:23 PM
skipping dessert

MegaWatty
7th February 2010, 06:29 PM
skipping desert

Nairobi?

Johnny Canuck
7th February 2010, 09:20 PM
DracZ makes some good points SMS. You need to be taking in more calories than you are.

A mate of mine got down to 6% body fat and the diet he was given had him eating as much as ever, just spaced out of 5 or 6 meals and a lot healthier than he was eating before.

I would recommend having a professional set up your eating plan for you, 1200 calories is crazy!

AndyP
7th February 2010, 09:30 PM
When I was losing weight I was still consuming 2000 calories per day, with 500-800 calories burnt through exercise on several days.

MegaWatty
8th February 2010, 01:19 AM
I've lost 8 kilos since about the beginning of December with one very simple change...replace my carb loaded lunch with a salad. Oh yeh, and I don't come home and have 5 slices of White bread, then dinner, then mop up the pan with another two pieces of bread. I have a goal of 90kg and I'm not that far from it now.

The Pure and Natural Bocconcini and Spinach salad is a winner!

The difference it's made in my life and feeling if wellbeing is amazing! Walking a golf course is no longer a chore!

(I hope it's ok to post about me in here!)

ParMaster
8th February 2010, 08:13 AM
Great job MW.

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 02:08 PM
How ya going now Shaun?

Scottt
24th February 2010, 04:00 PM
SMS 1200cal in and burning 6000cal daily through conscious exercise alone is very bad.

I'd be putting some lean meat on your sanga, eating some fruit mid-morn and a handful of nuts in the arvo.

You can't sustain 1200 in, 600 out and any eating/exercise plan that can't be sustained will only end with you putting the weight back on.

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 04:06 PM
If it helps at all, I'm eating about 2000 calories a day, and burning about 500. Still losing 500g-800g per week.

Scottt
24th February 2010, 04:13 PM
If it helps at all, I'm eating about 2000 calories a day, and burning about 500. Still losing 500g-800g per week.

It doesn't, because he's not you.

Are you calorie counting that 2000, or just ballparking?

And how are you measuring the calorie burn of your exercise?

ParMaster
24th February 2010, 04:23 PM
Still it gives him an idea than you can still eat food and lose weight.

I am counting my calories Scott. Never try and have more than 2000 in a day. And I do a lot of my excercise on a cross trainer that says how much I've burnt, and also I do skipping. There was some website that calculates how much calories you burn doing certain excercises, which I use.

WBennett
31st March 2010, 09:34 AM
Hey SMS

How is this going? Forwards or backwards?

sms316
31st March 2010, 09:55 AM
Was in a holding pattern, but I'm back on the health kick now. 2 big tournaments in May are around the corner, so my practice is going to step up a notch. In fact I spoke to my coach only 10 minutes ago and booked in a lesson for next Wednesday.

I've been fluey for the last 5 days so haven't got into any exercise, but my calorie control has been good.

Spending Easter at Coolum and only staying 100m from the beach so I am looking forward to doing some beach walks/runs.

WBennett
31st March 2010, 10:34 AM
I'm doing an intensive 14 day fitness kick to drop a couple of kilos prior to footy. 1.5 down in the last week, a further 1.5 to go next week. I'll do it easy, and actually be in some sort of shape for Round 1 next weekend.. hopefully

sms316
31st March 2010, 10:47 AM
Good stuff. I'm hoping to put away close to 10kg before the Keperra Bowl. I'll need to as I will probably play 6 rounds in 5 days. Then 4 days back at work, followed by 3 days at the NSW Mid-Am.

Moe Norman
31st March 2010, 09:45 PM
I weighed in at 95kg on monday morning, haven't been that light since 1998.

Strangely, I still have a big gut, so may to lose more than I thought!

sms316
15th April 2010, 10:44 AM
One month out from the Keperra Bowl.

Had a full swing lesson this morning and thank Christ I did. I was swinging the club terribly. Too much slide with my hips and losing my angles. This lead to all sorts of shaft angles at impact. I don't need to rebuild my swing, just concentrate on those issues and everything else will fall into place.

Short game session next Thursday and then it is just time to groove it in.

ParMaster
4th May 2010, 01:53 PM
How's your weight going Shaun?

sms316
10th June 2010, 01:50 PM
An epiphany of sorts if you will. I took a look in the mirror this morning and don't like what I see, so I'm gonna turn this crap around.

By putting these goals down here and making a couple of large statements I'm going to look bloody stupid if I fail, so here goes;

1. I'm currently tipping the scales at close to 130kg. In the last year I've been a lazy bastard so this time next year I intend on being under 100kg. Goal is 90kg.

2. Stop drinking piss every day of the week. Make a serious effort to only touch grog no more than twice a week.

3. Get my handicap to a place where it has never been before. Lowest ever is +1.1 so this will take some doing.

My work schedule has changed now so I am only working 4 days a week. There is a floodlit driving range between work and home so I have no excuses to not hit balls once or twice over each 4 day period.

December probably isn't the greatest time to change my life, but to hell with it. When is?

Well.... fell back into some bad habits and pretty much fell of the horse. Jumped on the scales on Monday and was 115kg. Been giving the old amber fluid a bit of a nudge too (even in the habit of grabbing a roadie for the trip home on the freeway most nights).

So decision time. I'm back on the health kick and am going to go 50 days without alcohol. Now on day three.

Jarro
10th June 2010, 01:54 PM
Just get a gastric band :roll:

Moe Norman
10th June 2010, 02:17 PM
Well.... fell back into some bad habits and pretty much fell of the horse. Jumped on the scales on Monday and was 115kg. Been giving the old amber fluid a bit of a nudge too (even in the habit of grabbing a roadie for the trip home on the freeway most nights).

So decision time. I'm back on the health kick and am going to go 50 days without alcohol. Now on day three.

You're better off going for a sustainable life change, instead of just killing booze altogether.

Webster
10th June 2010, 02:29 PM
Shaunie, what exercise are you doing? This is far more important than foolish thoughts like giving up the grog altogether.

WBennett
10th June 2010, 02:32 PM
and the truffle shuffle doesn't count as exercise

sms316
10th June 2010, 02:33 PM
You're better off going for a sustainable life change, instead of just killing booze altogether.

Just want to prove to myself that I have some sense of self-control.

solarman
10th June 2010, 02:39 PM
Just want to prove to myself that I have some sense of self-control.

Mate, I'm 115kg and been trying to shake 10kg for yonks.......just told the Doc I'm not giving up the drink, so he'd better work around it.

Mind you I take happy tablets, gout tablets (I get kidney stones), blood pressure and chloresterol ones as well.....awesome.

BrisVegas
10th June 2010, 02:43 PM
Shaunie, what exercise are you doing? This is far more important than foolish thoughts like giving up the grog altogether.

good point jack. I'm not disciplined enough to diet, like most people. Making time to do a bit of exercise can help turn things around though. I probably eat more now than I did 6 months ago and I'm a heap lighter. Sedantary lifestyle is the killer.

AndyP
10th June 2010, 02:47 PM
I conceded long ago that I have no discipline when it comes to food and drink. Fortunately, marathon training covers it most of the time, although I'm not sure how much weight I put on in the last week while injured.

Webster
10th June 2010, 02:51 PM
Shaun, start going for a walk in the monring, first thing before work 2-3 times a week, for half an hour. Don't go out to break any records, just get moving to the point where you are lightly puffing when you finish. You will really see the benefits after as little as a few weeks.

Getting started is the hardest bit. So get started!

solarman
10th June 2010, 02:55 PM
Just drink DIETALE :o What you drink in one end comes out both ends shortly after.

Moe Norman
10th June 2010, 04:44 PM
SMS,

Most mornings I hit the pavement with the kids + dog at about 6am for 30-40 minutes. Gets the blood pumping and in the good books with the bride, who gets the little sleep in.

Then as far as other exercise, get yourself a boxing bag, a skipping rope, some milk crates and an exercise bike.

Some days, just sit on the exercise bike watching TV for 40 minutes and other days do some circuit training with boxing, skipping, step ups (milk crates), dips (milk crates), push ups, situps etc.

You'll notice a difference in no time, it is cheap, sustainable and easy to get into the habit as it is all at home and can be done any time.

I also gave up dieting ages ago, I like food and I like booze so I have to make up for it by exercise!

(also, throwing the leg over the mrs for a good 1/2 hour session every now and then is good for you too)

mike
10th June 2010, 06:22 PM
Just get a job selling tyres.

markTHEblake
10th June 2010, 06:27 PM
(also, throwing the leg over the mrs for a good 1/2 hour session every now and then is good for you too)

what do you do to get the extra 29 minutes?

AndyP
10th June 2010, 06:27 PM
(also, throwing the leg over the mrs for a good 1/2 hour session every now and then is good for you too)That's alright for some, but what if you're a two minute man like myself (on a good night)?

Moe Norman
10th June 2010, 08:08 PM
I need at least 3 goes at it to get the full 1/2 hour. Like you blokes, Round 1 is complete in about 2 minutes tops.

Luckily for me, I'm young and virile and Round 2 can commence after a 2 minute interval.

MegaWatty
17th September 2011, 12:08 AM
Has walking the parking beat helped at all?

sms316
17th September 2011, 07:36 AM
Has walking the parking beat helped at all?
Not really. It just offsets the amount of grog I'm drinking. I'm probably fitter, but not weighing any less.

MegaWatty
5th January 2012, 06:10 PM
Want me to edit the title to 2012 for you?

sms316
5th January 2012, 07:39 PM
To what? SMS thinks certain mods are pricks 2012?

MegaWatty
5th January 2012, 07:41 PM
To what? SMS thinks certain mods are pricks 2012? Awwwww. :(