PDA

View Full Version : Morgys swing - PLEASE advise further..

morgy
4th December 2009, 11:21 PM
Hey guys,
I videoed my swing a few weeks back for my own viewing; however, I thought i'd upload it in the interest of getting some constructive feedback. I started playing about 11 months ago and have only dropped 5 shots off my handicap since. Realistically i'm playing bogey golf and I have set myself the goal of getting to 12 by January, with the view of playing every day over xmas.

By way of personal specs; I am 6ft and am playing 0.5" over. My distances are (roughly):
PW - 125
9 iron - 135
8 iron - 145
7 iron - 155
6 iron - 165
5 iron - 172
4 iron - 180 - avoid using
3 iron - 185 - avoid using
5 wood - 200
3 wood - 230
Driver - 270

I have only had one lesson back in April and it screwed me up so this is basically my natural swing, pretty much the same as when I started. I hit the ball REALLY high with a slight fade which creates problems in the wind. Any advice on how I could limit my fade and hit a lower flight would be appreciated.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyMU4BfuJZo

zacdullard
4th December 2009, 11:30 PM
Nice grass.

Looks good but I think that it looks a little wristy at take away.

morgy
4th December 2009, 11:33 PM
Nice grass.

Looks good but I think that it looks a little wristy at take away.

Yeah mate, I've been told it's pretty wristy. I was just reading an article that said you shouldn't break your wrists until you're past your right knee??? I'm going to try the on the range tomorrow.

virge666
5th December 2009, 09:32 AM
Perfect takeaway... nice to see - it is fantastic to about hip height.

All i would do is bring some control into it. You look like every swing is about 110%

And you also look like you hit high draw shots, I would get you hitting some "release fades" to bring some control to you game...

dan
5th December 2009, 09:36 AM
That left knee coming in is pretty nasty. Weight looks too much on left side at the top with no spine tilt.

virge666
5th December 2009, 10:25 AM
That left knee coming in is pretty nasty. Weight looks too much on left side at the top with no spine tilt.

Happens in most young guys as they have the flexability. The more you work on control - you will find that will dissappear.

Also the way he hangs back through impact will also change, he is using his hands too much - again - drills for control.

Lastly - he is a teenager - what is the most important is the love for the game. Without that, no chance.

Enjoy

uahmad
5th December 2009, 03:12 PM
i want to know where these balls are going? not on the highway i hope?

morgy
5th December 2009, 05:41 PM
Happens in most young guys as they have the flexability. The more you work on control - you will find that will dissappear.

Also the way he hangs back through impact will also change, he is using his hands too much - again - drills for control.

Lastly - he is a teenager - what is the most important is the love for the game. Without that, no chance.

Enjoy

Haha thanks for the complement Virge but i'm actually in my mid 20's... getting on a bit now, and I am actually feeling it in the knees.

In terms of stopping the hang back, should try and keep my right shoulder up through impact, I notice that I drop it a bit towards the end of a round.

Also, is that a good take away? I've been told its wristy but it actually feels pretty controlled for me.

What should I do to keep the ball down?

morgy
5th December 2009, 05:42 PM
Also, What about my stance? Is it too narrow?

morgy
5th December 2009, 05:43 PM
i want to know where these balls are going? not on the highway i hope?

haha, balls are just heading out into a paddock with a high fade

TheNuclearOne
6th December 2009, 01:50 AM
Intersting, your swing starts with a lil forward hand press about 3 inches while at the same time you **** your wrists and the clubhead moves back about 12 inches. Basically the entire start of your swing is wrist ****. There was a guy in Golf Magazine actually promoting this (start with wrists) a while back.

Virge will sort ya.

dhills2
7th December 2009, 01:11 PM
Baby from the Incredibles... I mean Morg... you should tape your swing from the back as well so the gurus can analyse further.

parlyboy
7th December 2009, 04:27 PM
pretty good for a young bloke, hard to tell but it sort of looks like you might have too much weight on your heels.... i think.