PDA

View Full Version : golf visor question?

epicfailll
3rd December 2009, 10:40 AM
Hi guys,

so i'm about to hit the course for the first time soon and i was looking at buying this visor:

http://i.ebayimg.com/02/%21BeqyYvgBmk%7E$%28KGrHqUOKjcEq5cuI2%283BK-Kt589%29Q%7E%7E_35.JPG

my question is i cant remember (altho i don't watch that much) any men wearing visors with magnetic ball markers. i seem to only remember women wearing them.

so is it an unwritten rule for men not to wear visors with those ball markers? i don't want to have people laugh at me :lol:

should i just stick with a cap? any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys!

TheTrueReview
3rd December 2009, 10:59 AM
Mate, do what you feel like doing. Don't worry about what others think. You'll send yourself around the twist if you do.

epicfailll
3rd December 2009, 11:04 AM
Mate, do what you feel like doing. Don't worry about what others think. You'll send yourself around the twist if you do.

appreciate the advice mate. i was thinking I'd just wear it, but would just like to know if it is sorta a womens thing.

any clarification would be great.

cheers!

goughy
3rd December 2009, 11:12 AM
I'm sure I've seen guys with them on caps.

Captain Nemo
3rd December 2009, 11:38 AM
As someone who works in the treatment of Cancer patients daily, if you are going to wear a visor, use UV Sunblock on the top of your head!
The amount of old golfers i see weekly with Skin Cancers on there head/face is disturbing.
If it turns into Melanoma, you are DEAD!

kpac
3rd December 2009, 11:43 AM
not for me but plenty of blokes out there are wearing them. I'd want to be a pretty good player before i attempted to wear anything too exciting ;)

Rusty
3rd December 2009, 12:05 PM
men can even wear pink... uhhmm, i mean, "man salmon" these days.

with what titleist said, it amazes me that "buckets" are not worn more, especially here.

where you put your ball marker is not, well, usually not, an issue.

solarman
3rd December 2009, 12:09 PM
I was always a cap man, but now I am into the hat thing as my doctors, skin guys and surgeons continually call me names for not wearing one. Coming from Cairns, you indeed are an idiot if you don't sunscreen up from birth nowadays.

Captain Nemo
3rd December 2009, 12:21 PM
I was always a cap man, but now I am into the hat thing as my doctors, skin guys and surgeons continually call me names for not wearing one. Coming from Cairns, you indeed are an idiot if you don't sunscreen up from birth nowadays.

Totally agree mate.
I think the " looking cool" factor needs to be addressed quite seriously.

Ferrins
3rd December 2009, 12:34 PM
Totally agree mate.
Ha, if you were going to have a round with Natalie Gulbis you'd wear a bucket hat and zinc on your nose.

Ferrins
3rd December 2009, 12:37 PM
Totally agree mate.
Your avatar does make me think of slip and slap.

Ned
3rd December 2009, 12:46 PM
I've always worn caps and bucket style hats from day dot.

Despite the best efforts of those and sunblocks I still regularly have skin Cancers removed from my scalp.

I would hate to think of what I would have had if I hadn't been wearing any hats at all.

If you are going to use a sunblock then the best outcome is to actually put it on about an hour before you go out into the sun and to do a top up after a couple of hours or if its hot and you sweat a lot.

Whilst the visor maybe trendy or a personal favourite, hair (if you have it) is no protection from the sun alone. (And don't forget your ears and nose):-k

Captain Nemo
3rd December 2009, 12:50 PM
Your avatar does make me think of slip and slap.

Does it what!
Ive met Ms Gulbis :smt060 and yes i would wear a Bucket hat!:smt038

sms316
3rd December 2009, 01:12 PM
so is it an unwritten rule for men not to wear visors with those ball markers? i don't want to have people laugh at me :lol:

Magnetic ball markers were designed for women who don't have pockets in their skirts.

That should answer your question.

Bruce
3rd December 2009, 01:24 PM
Those who wear the more flattering and fashionable flat fronted trouser find that pockets get easily crowded and so grabbing a small item gets fiddly (especially when in the region of much larger items). As such the magnetic ball marker is also useful for those of us who don't want a batman style utility belt.

Johnny Canuck
3rd December 2009, 01:47 PM
I love the magnetic ball marker. I hate digging for a marker with tees, divot repairers, etc.

After reading Titleist's comments, I think I'll either sunscreen my head or wear caps from now on. I've always been a big fan of the comfort factor with a visor.

solarman
3rd December 2009, 01:52 PM
If Mr.Titleist is in the business, what you should do is start a thread with detailed pictures or links about melanomas and skin cancers. That should make some golfers think twice about sun protection.

Captain Nemo
3rd December 2009, 01:57 PM
Mate, great idea!
I'll try and get a few off the Oncologist's etc.. here at work and post.
I cant stress enough about the importance of Sunblock during long exposure to the sun ie golf!

Webster
3rd December 2009, 01:58 PM
Magnetic ball markers were designed for women who don't have pockets in their skirts.

That should answer your question.

Couldnt they clip them onto the clit piercings (assuming they had one)?

sms316
3rd December 2009, 02:07 PM
Couldnt they clip them onto the clit piercings (assuming they had one)?
Wouldn't the "boho" surface negate the magnet?

:-s

GolfBallWhackerGuy
3rd December 2009, 04:37 PM
men can even wear pink... uhhmm, i mean, "man salmon" these days.

with what titleist said, it amazes me that "buckets" are not worn more, especially here.

where you put your ball marker is not, well, usually not, an issue.

I wear a bucket hat most of the time. It provides the extra shading on my ears and neck. If i sweat too much, i usually sway hats midway thru a round.

IanO
4th December 2009, 09:20 AM
I'd wear a sombrero but it would get in the way of my swing!

Ned
4th December 2009, 09:29 AM
I'd wear a sombrero but it would get in the way of my swing!

Well living in Victoria you would need a reverse cycle water proof poncho to go with it to compensate for the all weather seasons in one game of golf!!:smt045

TheTrueReview
4th December 2009, 10:52 AM
Epic,

Again, don't worry what anyone else thinks about appearances. I had a melanoma removed when I as 19. Damn thing would've killed me if I hadn't picked it up early & thankfully there haven't been any returns.

I recently trialled this attachment (ATTACH-A-FLAP NAVY) & it worked a treat. I've moved to this from bucket hats b/c of my big noggin & cause some bucket hats don't have big enough visors. With the attach-a-flap, I slide it over my favourite golf cap & all's good.

http://www.sunsmartshop.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=595