PDA

View Full Version : Danny Green TKO1 Roy Jones

TheNuclearOne
2nd December 2009, 10:42 PM
Yup, sure did. Jones has been shot for YEARS and is just a shell but this is incredibly suprising given Jones was still the strong fave and already had his date and venue for Bernard Hopkins set in stone. He beat the formerly highly regarded Jeff Lacy recently and went 12 with Joey Calze.

Unlukky!

henno
2nd December 2009, 10:50 PM
Beauty!

TheNuclearOne
2nd December 2009, 10:54 PM
Yeah good on Green, he's a genuine great guy and a fine honest boxer.

henno
2nd December 2009, 10:56 PM
So he remains unstopped. Quite a statistic.

henno
2nd December 2009, 10:58 PM
Damn, google index works quick (and wikipedia for that matter):

http://imgur.com/REFav.png

zigwah
2nd December 2009, 11:01 PM
Well done green machine, anyone watch the fight? mundine again?

TheNuclearOne
2nd December 2009, 11:02 PM
So he remains unstopped. Quite a statistic.

Indeed, but despite his advanced age he's only had 31 fights and hasn't had the opportunity to fight most of the best. He's tough tho, who knows. Fantastic night for Green.

Minor_Threat
2nd December 2009, 11:07 PM
I just got back from watching it. Green looked great indeed! Much more comfortable than the Mundine fight.

Got me ****ed why Jones started the fight with his left guard down, Danny just waltzed right in there..

Matt
2nd December 2009, 11:10 PM
Well done green machine, anyone watch the fight? mundine again?

watched it. was awesome. certainly rattled his cage. i highly doubt he'll fight mundine again. 1 of the commentators said mundine went down to junior middleweight i think it was. thats a rather large weight gap between the 2.

idgolfguy
2nd December 2009, 11:13 PM
How many rounds? Cool $3mil each for not much work. Starting to sound like wrestling.

TheNuclearOne
2nd December 2009, 11:14 PM
That's trademark Jones. He used to have the speed to avoid punches with his left hand low (often countering with alarming speed) but now, well you saw it.

Fighters that rely on pure reflexes (low hands and lots of head movement) over solid fundamentals (higher hands and orthodoxy) for defense don't age well because when the reflexes slow they get found out bigtime. Jones chin has also faded badly which makes things even worse.

Time for Jones to get out, albeit many years too late. Danny will hopefully nab a big money fight vs a big name.

Matt
2nd December 2009, 11:14 PM
2 minutes in the first.

KristianJ
2nd December 2009, 11:16 PM
2 minutes in the first.

Was paying around $50 according to my brother...

Tomo
2nd December 2009, 11:18 PM
Green will never fight Mundine again.

The world is his oyster.

Calzaghe will be the ultimate opponent.

Hopkins is a possibility

Matt
2nd December 2009, 11:19 PM
sounds about right

TheNuclearOne
2nd December 2009, 11:29 PM
KsQFm4Ug7SE&feature=player_embedded

Golfnut
3rd December 2009, 12:18 AM
From my perspective.....good on The Green Machine....but was gearing up for a big night at my brother-in-laws......122second later, all over WTF????....

Don't know whether the hanging left of Jones is what got him undone but it couldn't have helped, seem to be a lot of yank fighters doing this of late......shit Jone's still quick but I think he was a little too under done coming into this.....might've been the plan really: head down under, roll with the hype, get smashed in 122 seconds and walk away with a handy retirement package! (minus his dignity though)

Yossarian
3rd December 2009, 12:43 AM
Does anyone else think it looks like jones took a dive?

Golfnut
3rd December 2009, 12:47 AM
I couldv'e sworn the DG punch hit Jones in the shoulder and ricocheted into his head.....a kid did that to me in school many years ago....did I go down in a pile of poo? No, laughed it off. Jones, your a soft ****!

Yossarian
3rd December 2009, 12:48 AM
Green does throw a mean punch.

EDIT

On second viewing that does appear to get him fair in the temple. Ouch.

Golfnut
3rd December 2009, 12:52 AM
Yeah it did.....just taking the piss out of the old yanky fart.

Despite the fact that is only went for 122 secs, the win was really for the hundreds of hrs DG spent slogging it out preparing for this....he deserved this!!!

simmsy
3rd December 2009, 01:01 AM
Yeah great yet suprising win by green. Jones had shown some reasonable form in his previous couple of fights. That shot by green was just on the sweet spot of the temple, though the camera angles didn't quiet catch it.

I think Mundine is running, he's getting further away from Greens weight instead of going after him.
I heard (not sure it's true) that mundine is going to fight the winner of "the contender" is he ever going to go after any form world class fighters!(with the exception of Kessler, who killed him and Green, wrong weight division) who has Mundine fought that people will remember in 10 years.

Golfnut
3rd December 2009, 01:05 AM
Only Green if he keeps up the current form.

Tomo
3rd December 2009, 07:22 AM
who has Mundine fought that people will remember in 10 years.

I will always remember Mundine being turned into Sleeping Beauty by Sven Ottke

TheNuclearOne
3rd December 2009, 07:32 AM

No chance, Jones chin has been stamped fragile since the second Tarver fight. Look at that fight and Glen Johnson, both put him out for ages with at least one of them looking very innocuous.

henno
3rd December 2009, 08:24 AM
I will always remember Mundine being turned into Sleeping Beauty by Sven Ottke

Best Australian sporting moment ever.

drnick
3rd December 2009, 08:29 AM
Was great watching that last night. At first I thought Jones Jnr had slipped, but once he got up I could see he was out of it. If only I put some cash on it!

S

matty
3rd December 2009, 08:30 AM
That was great to see.

BUT I WANT TO SEE IT HAPPEN TO MUNDINE!!!!!!

Green should approach Mundines camp and let the public know he backed down on a re-match.

AlexMc
3rd December 2009, 09:09 AM
Jones definitely got a shot to the temple - he was stuffed after that. Good win for Green.

Where this leaves Green though...Mudine won't fight him. No one has heard of him in the States (the fight didn't even get a mention on the ESPN website) so there is no money in it for Hopkins or Calzaghe. He's kinda left himself in no mans land...

Fishman Dan
3rd December 2009, 09:26 AM

World boxing is in tatters, but you've got 2 of the best in this fight. It's a shame you think like that. Why would Jones Jr take a dive with an unbeaten record?

Green nailed him with that right and then continued to pummel him for the remainder of the fight. The ref had little option, although if he made it to the bell then it would have been game on all over again.

Sydney Hacker
3rd December 2009, 09:33 AM
World boxing is in tatters, but you've got 2 of the best in this fight. It's a shame you think like that. Why would Jones Jr take a dive with an unbeaten record?

Green nailed him with that right and then continued to pummel him for the remainder of the fight. The ref had little option, although if he made it to the bell then it would have been game on all over again.

What unbeaten record would that be Dan ?

KristianJ
3rd December 2009, 09:34 AM
Jones definitely got a shot to the temple - he was stuffed after that. Good win for Green.

Where this leaves Green though...Mudine won't fight him. No one has heard of him in the States (the fight didn't even get a mention on the ESPN website) so there is no money in it for Hopkins or Calzaghe. He's kinda left himself in no mans land...

Just read that the fight is supposed to be shown in the US before Bernard Hopkins' fight this afternoon our time. That might help his cause a bit.

Yossarian
3rd December 2009, 09:55 AM

Did you read my post after that one?

Fishman Dan
3rd December 2009, 10:00 AM
Yes... but your first inclination was still to question a dive. It's a shame, but it also says a lot about the sport.

Eag's
3rd December 2009, 11:38 AM
Roy Jones Jnr record now stands as follows - 54 Wins, 6 Losses, 40 Knockouts

Pieface
3rd December 2009, 11:57 AM
I wonder if any Ozgolfers would label Danny a WAnker to his face?

Not a bad day at the office $24590/sec for showing up :mrgreen:

poidda
3rd December 2009, 12:24 PM
Soft!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sQfDmpeGP0

AlexMc
3rd December 2009, 01:02 PM
It's a shame that he's tainted his record so badly over the last few years - he looked slow and soft last night, but it was a very good hit that floored him.

TourFit
3rd December 2009, 02:04 PM
Kinda similar to the punch Ottke got Mundine with...hard slightly upward hit to the temple...

Jones has been on a downhill slide for a while. Not the speed or reflexes he had and an ever softening chin to boot.

Having said that, Green is a renowned hard hitter and I'm sure that that punch would've floored many other boxers as well. Just wish he had been able to deliver one like that on "The Man"...I guess that's the point though. Mundine was quick on his feet, evaded well, counter punched well and outboxed Green. Jones at his best was WAY better than Mundine will ever be, and with his experience he should have been more mobile and evaded Green as well as kept that left guard up more!!!

3oneday
3rd December 2009, 02:15 PM
Green won't, nor should he, waste time with Mundine now.

simmsy
3rd December 2009, 06:37 PM
Kinda similar to the punch Ottke got Mundine with...hard slightly upward hit to the temple...

Jones has been on a downhill slide for a while. Not the speed or reflexes he had and an ever softening chin to boot.

Having said that, Green is a renowned hard hitter and I'm sure that that punch would've floored many other boxers as well. Just wish he had been able to deliver one like that on "The Man"...I guess that's the point though. Mundine was quick on his feet, evaded well, counter punched well and outboxed Green. Jones at his best was WAY better than Mundine will ever be, and with his experience he should have been more mobile and evaded Green as well as kept that left guard up more!!!

Let's not forget Green had to waste a hell of a lot to make weight for that fight. No excuse but he should not have been fighting at that weight division at that time or for his previous couple of fights before the mundine fight.

Johnny Canuck
3rd December 2009, 06:44 PM

Please don't insult Roy or all of us by ever putting his name in the same sentence as Mundine's again.

Sydney Hacker
3rd December 2009, 06:45 PM

A shame 5 of those losses have come in his last 10 fights. I remember watching beat the shizzle out of someone about 10 years ago and he was awesome to watch.

Time to hang up the gloves now though...

jaybam
3rd December 2009, 07:46 PM
Why quit. If he still makes 3 million odd dollars for two mins work in the ring win or lose??? take the money i say.

TheNuclearOne
3rd December 2009, 09:09 PM
It comes back to mental faculties tho, or loss of them. Jones gets put on queer street far too easily now and there's a possibility something might not quite be right. He has enough money for several lifetimes.

Moe Norman
3rd December 2009, 10:34 PM
Jones has always fought with his hand down like that, Green landed a lucky shot and it was lights out.

At the end of the day, Green is not a world champion class boxer and never will be. No world class fighter in his division will bother fighting him either as the pay day aint worth it.

He will end up fighting Mundine again, and probably losing again.

simmsy
3rd December 2009, 11:09 PM
yeah 'cause mundine will come up to light heavy weight!:?

Mundine is trying go up against guys in bantam weight i hear.:lol:

Moe Norman
3rd December 2009, 11:16 PM
I don't really like Mundine, nor do I like Green. However, Mundine is a far better boxer. More talent, more speed and more awareness. He gave Green a lesson (yes at this preferred weight) and had really only been boxing for 5 years at the time. He's a much better boxer than he was when he beat Green last time.

Johnny Canuck
3rd December 2009, 11:17 PM
yeah 'cause mundine will come up to light heavy weight!:?

Mundine is trying go up against guys in bantam weight i hear.:lol:

sounds perfect for you simmsy, that's about your weight class.

simmsy
3rd December 2009, 11:29 PM
I don't really like Mundine, nor do I like Green. However, Mundine is a far better boxer. More talent, more speed and more awareness. He gave Green a lesson (yes at this preferred weight) and had really only been boxing for 5 years at the time. He's a much better boxer than he was when he beat Green last time.

:-k:-#

TourFit
3rd December 2009, 11:43 PM
Wonder what the gloves will sound like when simmsy hits him.....?

"Toast!!!"